ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs, Multiplier, and Success Factor Fix

niualum2002

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2004
OK so there are a lot of thoughts on here about how the success factor and multiplier is unfair...public vs. private advantages etc. Lots of bickering back and forth. How about a solution that ensures equity for both publics and privates and competitive games on Championship Weekend? Please read through and then fire off either positively or negatively on it with suggestions to make it better. Maybe the IHSA members that lurk on this site will read it and we will have created a crowdsourced and improved IHSA playoff model on the condition that EdgyTim gets corporate sponsorship...I'm thinking..."The IHSA Football Championship Weekend brought to you by the good folks at EdgyTim.com." Anyways here's the plan. Enjoy!

To begin, I propose change with 4 non-negotiable points guiding such change to our current playoff setup.

(1) Illinois should never split into separate public and private playoffs...The 6A Title Game between Naz and Prairie Ridge shows that both quality public and private schools can have awesome matchups against each other.

(2) The success factor and multiplier for non-boundary schools needs to be greatly overhauled...(read on...this plan gets good...or so I hope you agree.)

(3) Successful public schools should be treated just like successful private schools.

(4) The abolition of conferences in favor of districts combining public and private schools should not be adopted.

Before proposing any changes it would be good to share the current success factor and multiplier rules. For the most part I think everyone understands the multiplier to be 1.65 times a non-boundaried school's enrollment. The current success factor rules from the IHSA for football are as follows...

The new Success Advancement step will move schools up a classification if they achieve the following:

In football over four years:
1. Participated in two state championship games.
2. Starting with the 2015 season, schools would be moved up two classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in three championship games.
3. Starting with the 2016 season, schools would be moved up three classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in four championship games.
4. Schools that move up more than one class due to the implementation of the above criteria will move down one class per year until they reach their appropriate classification for their enrollment should they stop meeting the advancement criteria outlined above.

Going forward here is my proposal:

(1) Eliminate the multiplier. Here are the NEW classes (based on this year's playoff classifications) of some of the more well-known and most successful non-boundaried schools on this board WITHOUT the multiplier who have achieved recent success in the past decade...

1A: Sterling (Newman Central Catholic), Aurora Christian

2A: Elmhurst (Immaculate Conception), Bishop Mac

3A: NONE

4A: Springfield Sacred-Heart Griffin, Joliet Catholic, Montini, Woodstock (Marian), Wheaton (St. Francis), Nazareth Academy, Peoria (Notre Dame), St. Viator, Rockford Boylan, Chicago De La Salle

5A: St. Laurence, Providence, Marmion, St. Rita, Fenwick, Mt. Carmel, Mundelein (Carmel), Simeon, St. Patrick, Benet

6A: St. Ignatius, Brother Rice, Niles (Notre Dame), Marist

7A: Loyola

8A: NONE

(2) Continue the practice of allowing schools to choose to elect to play up in class. Phillips is for now slotted in 3A without petitioning up, and East St. Louis is slotted in 5A without petitioning up. Those schools have both chosen to play up in 5A and 7A respectively...in other words...make the schools choose to play up. If none of the 4A-7A private schools ELECT to play up...ultimately they will be seen as ducking the tougher competition in 7A and 8A. Thus no need for a multiplier...the negative impact that would have on potential national recognition which is becoming more and more important each year as well as colleges recruiting your players would be enough I feel to compel schools to play up. If St. Rita elects to play a 5A playoff schedule after having played in arguably the best conference in the state...the CCL Blue...that is going to raise eyebrows among college recruiters and thus be a practice I don't think they'd continue long-term. Nevertheless, it is the school's call and if none of the private schools request to play up then we are guaranteed an 8A public school champ and unless Loyola can take out the other 31 teams each year... a 7A public school champ as well. Kind of changes the dynamic of the public-private...who is better debate huh?

(3) However we're not going to make it that simple. There are some things I like about the success factor model so we are going to keep it with HEAVY modifications. So here is the new success factor...(a) Any school (public or private) that repeats 2 years in a row in the SAME class as champion will be moved up ONE class for 2 years. (b) Any school (public or private) that is moved up that wins for a 3rd year in a row will be moved up another class for 2 years. (c) Such practice will continue for each consecutive state title won by a school. (d) If a moved up success factor-eligible school fails to win a state championship then the next year they will IMMEDIATELY be placed down in their enrollment based classification with the option to petition up and play in whichever class that they wish.

This year the 4A, 5A, and 6A champs were all public school programs that have won multiple titles in the last few years so it is not a given that the private schools moving down to these classes are guaranteed a state title. If anything it might freshen up the playoffs in those classes which in the past have seen one-sided state championship games...(Not in 4A and 6A this year though!)

Well what are your thoughts? Looking forward to them as I finish watching the 7A game and we see the 8A final between Loyola and Lincoln-Way East?

OK so there are a lot of thoughts on here about how the success factor and multiplier is unfair...public vs. private advantages etc. Lots of bickering back and forth. How about a solution that ensures equity for both publics and privates and competitive games on Championship Weekend? Please read through and then fire off either positively or negatively on it with suggestions to make it better. Maybe the IHSA members that lurk on this site will read it and we will have created a crowdsourced and improved IHSA playoff model on the condition that EdgyTim gets corporate sponsorship...I'm thinking..."The IHSA Football Championship Weekend brought to you by the good folks at EdgyTim.com." Anyways here's the plan. Enjoy!

To begin, I propose change with 4 non-negotiable points guiding such change to our current playoff setup.

(1) Illinois should never split into separate public and private playoffs...The 6A Title Game between Naz and Prairie Ridge shows that both quality public and private schools can have awesome matchups against each other.

(2) The success factor and multiplier for non-boundary schools needs to be greatly overhauled...(read on...this plan gets good...or so I hope you agree.)

(3) Successful public schools should be treated just like successful private schools.

(4) The abolition of conferences in favor of districts combining public and private schools should not be adopted.

Before proposing any changes it would be good to share the current success factor and multiplier rules. For the most part I think everyone understands the multiplier to be 1.65 times a non-boundaried school's enrollment. The current success factor rules from the IHSA for football are as follows...

The new Success Advancement step will move schools up a classification if they achieve the following:

In football over four years:
1. Participated in two state championship games.
2. Starting with the 2015 season, schools would be moved up two classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in three championship games.
3. Starting with the 2016 season, schools would be moved up three classes from their enrollment classification if, over a four year period, the school participated in four championship games.
4. Schools that move up more than one class due to the implementation of the above criteria will move down one class per year until they reach their appropriate classification for their enrollment should they stop meeting the advancement criteria outlined above.

Going forward here is my proposal:

(1) Eliminate the multiplier. Here are the NEW classes (based on this year's playoff classifications) of some of the more well-known and most successful non-boundaried schools on this board WITHOUT the multiplier who have achieved recent success in the past decade...

1A: Sterling (Newman Central Catholic), Aurora Christian

2A: Elmhurst (Immaculate Conception), Bishop Mac

3A: NONE

4A: Springfield Sacred-Heart Griffin, Joliet Catholic, Montini, Woodstock (Marian), Wheaton (St. Francis), Nazareth Academy, Peoria (Notre Dame), St. Viator, Rockford Boylan, Chicago De La Salle

5A: St. Laurence, Providence, Marmion, St. Rita, Fenwick, Mt. Carmel, Mundelein (Carmel), Simeon, St. Patrick, Benet

6A: St. Ignatius, Brother Rice, Niles (Notre Dame), Marist

7A: Loyola

8A: NONE

(2) Continue the practice of allowing schools to choose to elect to play up in class. Phillips is for now slotted in 3A without petitioning up, and East St. Louis is slotted in 5A without petitioning up. Those schools have both chosen to play up in 5A and 7A respectively...in other words...make the schools choose to play up. If none of the 4A-7A private schools ELECT to play up...ultimately they will be seen as ducking the tougher competition in 7A and 8A. Thus no need for a multiplier...the negative impact that would have on potential national recognition which is becoming more and more important each year as well as colleges recruiting your players would be enough I feel to compel schools to play up. If St. Rita elects to play a 5A playoff schedule after having played in arguably the best conference in the state...the CCL Blue...that is going to raise eyebrows among college recruiters and thus be a practice I don't think they'd continue long-term. Nevertheless, it is the school's call and if none of the private schools request to play up then we are guaranteed an 8A public school champ and unless Loyola can take out the other 31 teams each year... a 7A public school champ as well. Kind of changes the dynamic of the public-private...who is better debate huh?

(3) However we're not going to make it that simple. There are some things I like about the success factor model so we are going to keep it with HEAVY modifications. So here is the new success factor...(a) Any school (public or private) that repeats 2 years in a row in the SAME class as champion will be moved up ONE class for 2 years. (b) Any school (public or private) that is moved up that wins for a 3rd year in a row will be moved up another class for 2 years. (c) Such practice will continue for each consecutive state title won by a school. (d) If a moved up success factor-eligible school fails to win a state championship then the next year they will IMMEDIATELY be placed down in their enrollment based classification with the option to petition up and play in whichever class that they wish.

This year the 4A, 5A, and 6A champs were all public school programs that have won multiple titles in the last few years so it is not a given that the private schools moving down to these classes are guaranteed a state title. If anything it might freshen up the playoffs in those classes which in the past have seen one-sided state championship games...(Not in 4A and 6A this year though!)

Well what are your thoughts? Looking forward to them as I finish watching the 7A game and we see the 8A final between Loyola and Lincoln-Way East?

One thought. How about if you make the title game instead of having to actually win it?

Yeah I kicked that back and forth...I'd be OK with either making it or winning it...my only thought about a team making it and not winning it is that perhaps it would be seen as more punitive that a team that falls short 2 years in a row now has to play up without getting to taste the glory of a state title in a class that they are supposed to be placed in? One central piece here is I'm really trying not to penalize students who are putting in all of the hard work to get that far...maybe a split...make it 2 years in a row with 1 championship and you're multiplied?

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
First. Thank you for your posting the success factor rules. I now understand them and never before realize that the rules changed each year, just ridiculous.
One thing I definitely like about your system is that the success factor goes away after one on successful season. Both Publics and privates often graduate nearly an entire team and shouldn’t be punished for years to come for their success.

First. Thank you for your posting the success factor rules. I now understand them and never before realize that the rules changed each year, just ridiculous.
One thing I definitely like about your system is that the success factor goes away after one on successful season. Both Publics and privates often graduate nearly an entire team and shouldn’t be punished for years to come for their success.
Yes and thanks for the reply...again the main thing here is not to penalize kids for past success that they might have been too young to experience while also trying to balance somewhat the natural advantages public and private dynasties will have if they continue to play competition below their talent level in the playoffs.

One thing everyone needs to understand here: The IHSA is perfectly happy with boundaried school domination; it's the success of Catholic schools (yeah, I said it!) that they are against. Do not expect them to do anything which may jeopardize this.

P.S. - Thanks for your detailed proposal niualum, but fairness is not what the IHSA is about!

Reactions: Gene K.
Yeah I kicked that back and forth...I'd be OK with either making it or winning it...my only thought about a team making it and not winning it is that perhaps it would be seen as more punitive that a team that falls short 2 years in a row now has to play up without getting to taste the glory of a state title in a class that they are supposed to be placed in? One central piece here is I'm really trying not to penalize students who are putting in all of the hard work to get that far...maybe a split...make it 2 years in a row with 1 championship and you're multiplied?

Yeah - I think that would be a great compromise. 1 win and 1 make it to game and it triggers the move.

Maybe we make it so that the 1 title and 2 appearances in 2 years rule we are thinking about only applies to a team that makes the title game and then wins it the next year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT