ADVERTISEMENT

pjjp-JCA Schedule

I would love for LA and JCA to schedule a game...Have they ever played?

Good luck to Jaws with that schedule. Wonder how much influence he has on the non-cons.

Not about influence. It's about availability.
Hillini...seems like a number of ESCC teams have trouble filling their non-con slate. What do you think of playing 9 conference games? It would seem to alleviate the scheduling headaches.

Hillini...seems like a number of ESCC teams have trouble filling their non-con slate. What do you think of playing 9 conference games? It would seem to alleviate the scheduling headaches.
That would not work for all members of the conference. ESCC covers 8A-5A with varying actual enrollments. If playoffs qualification becomes a daunting task for those that can compete in their classification I would anticipate instability. Enrollment trends across the geographical spread of the conference does not make things less complex.

Not big on prognosis but I see 5 wins before they face ND on the final weekend. If they have four on that last weekend I think they are in trouble.

Not big on prognosis but I see 5 wins before they face ND on the final weekend. If they have four on that last weekend I think they are in trouble.
Who do you see them beating outside of Viator, Carmel, and Marian of the Heights?

I think Marist lost a lot this year to graduation and that last loss to LA was a tough one for them. I think they rebuild this year and I think JCA is on an upswing. I’m prolly wrong but only time will tell.

JCA won that game at Loyola by a score of 7-0. Pretty sure things would be different in the current era.
Both teams down that year. LA was 3-6 and while JC was 7-2, lost everyone off those 99-01 teams and had the bad PC Q loss. Lack of punch on O. Would have had some great games in the 90's had they played.

That would not work for all members of the conference. ESCC covers 8A-5A with varying actual enrollments. If playoffs qualification becomes a daunting task for those that can compete in their classification I would anticipate instability. Enrollment trends across the geographical spread of the conference does not make things less complex.
Maybe it's time for the smaller and less competitive schools to look elsewhere for a conference that would fit them better! The enrollment trends across the geographical spread that you refer to, has to be taken into consideration. If these schools stay in the conference, they will have to work harder on getting more kids into the building. Which as you know is not easy!

Maybe it's time for the smaller and less competitive schools to look elsewhere for a conference that would fit them better! The enrollment trends across the geographical spread that you refer to, has to be taken into consideration. If these schools stay in the conference, they will have to work harder on getting more kids into the building. Which as you know is not easy!
Oh geez, come on.

Okay, what ever.
Mr T, there's a part of me that understands where you are coming from. However, some of these schools particularly in the ESCC with smaller enrollments, have rich football traditions. I really don't think they are looking for an opportunity to run and hide from the competition.

The three smallest schools have always been MCC,Naz and JCA. They have done just fine in football. I know for a fact JCA has ZERO interest in looking for a new conference.

For me it's all about the line play for JCA in 2018....they have some skills *(soph RB has the potential to be a major stud) yet the biggest issue has been being able to matchup on both sides of the lines....something that up until a handful of years ago was unheard of and has been the biggest empty hole....

The number 1 need for most high school teams are the unsung hero’s of the Oline and DLine. Everyone loves the limelight of the skill positions (7v7, newspaper articles, etc) - but what most teams really need are more grinders on the Oline and DLine.

Reactions: Cross Bones
They have a number of linemen who will have been on the varsity for 3 years. It will be interesting to see how they develop. They will surely be challenged with that schedule.

The three smallest schools have always been MCC,Naz and JCA. They have done just fine in football. I know for a fact JCA has ZERO interest in looking for a new conference.
Yes they have all done just fine and I hope they will continue! I'm worried about my MCC. They have done well over the last 15 seasons record wise. My concern is the amount of kids coming out for football. Four years ago we had over a hundred kids in the program. Last year I believe it was around sixty. In my opinion if we stay at that level of participation, it will be very difficult to stay competitive in the ESCC.

Yes they have all done just fine and I hope they will continue! I'm worried about my MCC. They have done well over the last 15 seasons record wise. My concern is the amount of kids coming out for football. Four years ago we had over a hundred kids in the program. Last year I believe it was around sixty. In my opinion if we stay at that level of participation, it will be very difficult to stay competitive in the ESCC.

Only 24 rostered Varsity players returning for MCC this year and another 22 (not counting 2 rostered freshman listed on both Varsity and freshman) freshmen moving up. Class of ‘20 numbers were very soft in quantity this year, but had some contributors. I’m also hearing the turnout for that class will be bigger next year. My guess would be about 55-60 players rostered and who knows what shows up for the freshman class?!

Only 24 rostered Varsity players returning for MCC this year and another 22 (not counting 2 rostered freshman listed on both Varsity and freshman) freshmen moving up. Class of ‘20 numbers were very soft in quantity this year, but had some contributors. I’m also hearing the turnout for that class will be bigger next year. My guess would be about 55-60 players rostered and who knows what shows up for the freshman class?!
So if this enrollment trend in the football program continues, do you think they can stay competitive in the ESCC?

So if this enrollment trend in the football program continues, do you think they can stay competitive in the ESCC?

Quality over quantity. You’ll probably see more 2 way players then at the bigger schools. Beating the Naz, Marist, Norte Dame’s will be tough so you have to beat the teams you’re supposed to. If they beat JCA this year, the upset over Notre Dame isn’t necessary. If they could play more like sized schools, the fight for the playoffs yearly probably wouldn’t be as dramatic.

Quality over quantity. You’ll probably see more 2 way players then at the bigger schools. Beating the Naz, Marist, Norte Dame’s will be tough so you have to beat the teams you’re supposed to. If they beat JCA this year, the upset over Notre Dame isn’t necessary. If they could play more like sized schools, the fight for the playoffs yearly probably wouldn’t be as dramatic.
All the reason why maybe a different conference?

All the reason why maybe a different conference?

The goal is to win the last game of the year and for that game to be in Dekalb. I think the thought it that playing the bigger schools prepares you better for the playoffs. That means winning both the non-conference games and stealing a few ESCC games. Problem being, it is hard for them to find non-conference teams that want to play. It looks like game 2 next year will be another out of state trip just to find someone to play. Personally I think playing in the ESCC is a draw for any kid in the area who wants to play. Knowing there are D1 scouts at a lot of games and looking at film gives you exposure I’m not sure you would find elsewhere.

The goal is to win the last game of the year and for that game to be in Dekalb. I think the thought it that playing the bigger schools prepares you better for the playoffs. That means winning both the non-conference games and stealing a few ESCC games. Problem being, it is hard for them to find non-conference teams that want to play. It looks like game 2 next year will be another out of state trip just to find someone to play. Personally I think playing in the ESCC is a draw for any kid in the area who wants to play. Knowing there are D1 scouts at a lot of games and looking at film gives you exposure I’m not sure you would find elsewhere.
Well then I guess we will just have to find those kids that want to play!

I can't recall for sure but how many players did MCC have go D1 since joining the ESCC? I just can't think of any right now.

I can't recall for sure but how many players did MCC have go D1 since joining the ESCC? I just can't think of any right now.
0 d1 scholarship players. Dineen plays at Drake, but most people don't really consider it a true D1 player, despite playing in a non scholarship D1 FCS conference

I can’t tell you for sure but you had at least Bahl and Dineen. There are at least 2 kids on this years team who are getting looks as well. My point is if you are out playing the Marists of the world, someone will be watching you. Idk if you would get the same looks in the FVC for example. I know there are/have been a couple of kids who get attention, but not on the same yearly level as the ESCC players. And before anyone asks, I have no numbers to support this argument, it’s strictly my perception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT