ADVERTISEMENT

MS @ Palatine

I haven't been following Palatine as closely this year... They had 1 punt in the 4th where I think the QB punted (very bad result) and then they had someone else punt later that was much better. Who's the regular kicker and do you think they were maybe thinking of trying something with the QB depending on the defense?

The QB has been the punter so far(As was Oles last year). After those two shorter punts they switched to a new kid for the last punt.

He punts much better when he's stationary. They were doing that running/rugby punt and it wasn't working for him.

Wasn't my intent, but nice to see Palatine/MS game with most posts tonight. Good luck to both teams and I hope they get to play again!

So Palatine folks... couldn't have been any more impressed with how nice the people working our side of the stands were! The concessions, everyone was as nice as they could be. Very genuine group of folks.

I left the venue with only one real question....

What's the deal with the little league lights? Granted, some teams can't even have lights, but those lights tonight seemed like they were on a dimmer.

Having played under those lights and seen maybe 100 games there, not sure what you are talking about. Maybe glaucoma on your end or just time for new bulbs haha

Reactions: kpjasion
Having played under those lights and seen maybe 100 games there, not sure what you are talking about. Maybe glaucoma on your end or just time for new bulbs haha
My 42 year old eyes thought it was kinda dim too but the turf was awesome! Nice to meet you Quags. It's always fun meeting an Edgy member and especially cool when you have been reading their columns for years!

My 42 year old eyes thought it was kinda dim too but the turf was awesome! Nice to meet you Quags. It's always fun meeting an Edgy member and especially cool when you have been reading their columns for years!
MS. I was standing with Catch 22 all game. We were trying to figure out who you were.

It was great to meet you finally as well. Always been a huge fan of all the things you write on here. I have also been a fan of your program and have a long history with Inserra and Bliss.

I always read with great wonder about the negatives about the Maine South program, but frankly, I have never seen it. All i have ever seen is a program that plays hard until the last play and and a coaching staff and players that shows respect to their opponents.

Haha I'm #1 from Palatine DE/FB. First off, all credit to Maine South for winning and that's a tough game to lose. I wouldn't really blame anyone else on the team besides myself for that loss as I was out of position on that fake FG. We were definetly a little undisciplined that game, just from a playing/executing standpoint. In terms of chirping and other extracurriculars with refs and players, it was a normal game. We usually just try to stand up for our own guys and sometimes that gets misinterpreted which we understand. I got a personal foul called on me after I laid on the guy after I pancaked him... did not know that was a penalty but oh well. Again, great game by MS and all respect to a great team. Everyone should watch out though because we're fired up after this game so it should be fun. P.S. What was up with the MS student section having at most 20 kids?

Well played game young man, and kudos to you.

Hopefully the young man that got hurt late in the game is ok.

Keep bringing it dude, and good luck the rest of the way!

PS... I thought our support overall was lacking, especially the student section!

Haha I'm #1 from Palatine DE/FB. First off, all credit to Maine South for winning and that's a tough game to lose. I wouldn't really blame anyone else on the team besides myself for that loss as I was out of position on that fake FG. We were definetly a little undisciplined that game, just from a playing/executing standpoint. In terms of chirping and other extracurriculars with refs and players, it was a normal game. We usually just try to stand up for our own guys and sometimes that gets misinterpreted which we understand. I got a personal foul called on me after I laid on the guy after I pancaked him... did not know that was a penalty but oh well. Again, great game by MS and all respect to a great team. Everyone should watch out though because we're fired up after this game so it should be fun. P.S. What was up with the MS student section having at most 20 kids?

Saw a couple of ocassions where you burst thru the MS O-line towards the QB and your hand/shoulder were out of the scrum of people, but the #1 on your jersey strangely in your armpit. Seems they missed a few holding calls, but then of course as fans we think our guys are held on every play.

Saw a couple of ocassions where you burst thru the MS O-line towards the QB and your hand/shoulder were out of the scrum of people, but the #1 on your jersey strangely in your armpit. Seems they missed a few holding calls, but then of course as fans we think our guys are held on every play.
Now why would you go there?

The one person in all of this with first hand experience on the field Friday night didn't even go there.

That's the kind of crap that makes people crazy. Our LT got a holding call on the last TD run for serving up pancakes..

SO WHAT!

There was no call on the field that had an imminent affect on the outcome of the game.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50

The one person in all of this with first hand experience on the field Friday night didn't even go there.

That's the kind of crap that makes people crazy. Our LT got a holding call on the last TD run for serving up pancakes..

SO WHAT!

There was no call on the field that had an imminent affect on the outcome of the game.

I was just offering my observation from the stands...like I said we think our guys get held all the time...I'm sure you think your guys get held all the time too. The particular one that made me think about this was on the long pass to Stacey, so it seemed relevant.

As for the pancaking..per Bryant's note above he got a personal foul for the same thing.

Regardless, this was good old fashioned slobberknocker/smash mouth football, and you guys won. It was a game that lived up to the hype.

SO WHAT!

We watched in it in film and it looked like a holding because he shoved him down from behind, but it was close. Wasn't a blatant hold and definitely arguable both ways. Only real holding I felt was on a QB rollout while I was trying to chase down, but again arguable.

As eagles2k3 said, we were down on the field all game. Great game. A few mistakes, but very exciting with a lot of long plays.

My 2 cents on some of the posts:

- Didn't notice any excessive whining from Palatine at the refs. They wanted a PI that was close, but a good call IMO. The other big gripe was the very late whistle when #4 got hurt. That was warranted. His forward progress was completely stopped, and he was beginning to get pushed backwards, yet that whistle never blew. He took at least 2 hits that would've been avoided with a proper whistle.

- That rugby punting was killing me. Maybe the QB is usually an incredible rugby punter and booms it. But to me, it felt like a ploy to set up the punt/run option... I'm fine with the run/punt option, but not in that situation. The last two rugby punts of the game travelled 20 yards and 4 yards. The 4-yarder gave MS the ball inside the Palatine 30 yard line. Field position should've been the more important consideration. But, with all that being said, the final punt was a traditional punt, and the lefty sophomore only got about 25 yards out of it anyways.

- Kokosioulis is so much fun to watch. Incredible strength for his size, and great balance. Palatine got several good licks on him, but he never relented.

- Stoudamire was THISCLOSE to breaking loose several times in the first half. He was gassed late, but that burst is phenomenal. You'll be reading about 200-yard games from him when he's 100% healthy.

- This may be splitting hairs, because Palatine played a good game and has a good team... but, I feel like they still have some progress to make for things to run smoothly. The players were sometimes frustrated on the field, yelling to the sidelines for formation calls, play calls, and clarification from the coaches. Late subs. Late decisions on punt/go for it. Again, it was subtle... it was probably undetectable from the stands and I don't think it hurt them, but it was there. If nothing else, they have some room to clean it up as they continue to grow.

- Maine South fans didn't travel. I was shocked. Rematch of the semis, perfect weather... what gives? I've been a Maine South rooter several different times over the years, and I don't recall football ever traveling that poorly. Basketball fans traveling has always been lax there, but never football.

- The lights were discussed several times down on the field!!! It was definitely a couple shades dimmer than a usual HS stadium. "Hey, are all the lights on?" Yes. "Okay, but doesn't it feel dark to you out here?" Yes! LOL. Not sure what they can do if all the lights were actually on.

Reactions: PRokie
As eagles2k3 said, we were down on the field all game. Great game. A few mistakes, but very exciting with a lot of long plays.

My 2 cents on some of the posts:

- Didn't notice any excessive whining from Palatine at the refs. They wanted a PI that was close, but a good call IMO. The other big gripe was the very late whistle when #4 got hurt. That was warranted. His forward progress was completely stopped, and he was beginning to get pushed backwards, yet that whistle never blew. He took at least 2 hits that would've been avoided with a proper whistle.

- That rugby punting was killing me. Maybe the QB is usually an incredible rugby punter and booms it. But to me, it felt like a ploy to set up the punt/run option... I'm fine with the run/punt option, but not in that situation. The last two rugby punts of the game travelled 20 yards and 4 yards. The 4-yarder gave MS the ball inside the Palatine 30 yard line. Field position should've been the more important consideration. But, with all that being said, the final punt was a traditional punt, and the lefty sophomore only got about 25 yards out of it anyways.

- Kokosioulis is so much fun to watch. Incredible strength for his size, and great balance. Palatine got several good licks on him, but he never relented.

- Stoudamire was THISCLOSE to breaking loose several times in the first half. He was gassed late, but that burst is phenomenal. You'll be reading about 200-yard games from him when he's 100% healthy.

- This may be splitting hairs, because Palatine played a good game and has a good team... but, I feel like they still have some progress to make for things to run smoothly. The players were sometimes frustrated on the field, yelling to the sidelines for formation calls, play calls, and clarification from the coaches. Late subs. Late decisions on punt/go for it. Again, it was subtle... it was probably undetectable from the stands and I don't think it hurt them, but it was there. If nothing else, they have some room to clean it up as they continue to grow.

- Maine South fans didn't travel. I was shocked. Rematch of the semis, perfect weather... what gives? I've been a Maine South rooter several different times over the years, and I don't recall football ever traveling that poorly. Basketball fans traveling has always been lax there, but never football.

- The lights were discussed several times down on the field!!! It was definitely a couple shades dimmer than a usual HS stadium. "Hey, are all the lights on?" Yes. "Okay, but doesn't it feel dark to you out here?" Yes! LOL. Not sure what they can do if all the lights were actually on.

The lights right!

Thanks Catch!

Did you go to Concordia RF?

Was that for me MS4EVER? I went to Benedictine. Coach Arroyo went to Concordia, my B-I-L who used to be at EP and is now at Palatine. I'm pretty sure you and I are the same age and I also remember what you look like. I just couldn't spot you at either GW or Palatine. My eyes are going south, quickly

Was that for me MS4EVER? I went to Benedictine. Coach Arroyo went to Concordia, my B-I-L who used to be at EP and is now at Palatine. I'm pretty sure you and I are the same age and I also remember what you look like. I just couldn't spot you at either GW or Palatine. My eyes are going south, quickly
It was the lights!!

I remembered you guys were related. So Eagles2k3 is coach arroyo? I played with him there for a year.

Coach Arroyo isn't on the board. He just scrolls the Daily Herald scoreboard ALL NIGHT on Fridays. LOL. Eagles is my new friend I met through Lou. We have a nice time watching the games, armchair coaching, busting balls, and staring up at the not-so-bright lights on Friday nights. Looking forward to my next game in P-town.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Coach Arroyo isn't on the board. He just scrolls the Daily Herald scoreboard ALL NIGHT on Fridays. LOL. Eagles is my new friend I met through Lou. We have a nice time watching the games, armchair coaching, busting balls, and staring up at the not-so-bright lights on Friday nights. Looking forward to my next game in P-town.

Two sons played at Palatine, been watching games there for 25+ years...To be honest this is the first time I've heard anyone complain about the lighting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty2588
Lol

Duly noted.

Please remember I was not alone in this observation

Last edited:
Lol

Duly noted.

Please remember I was not alone in this observation

I know, it just surprises me. Oddly, I've never attended a night game at Maine South, back when I played I'm not even sure Maine South had lights to be honest. (Because of conference reshuffling in the CSL midstream of my time in high school, we only played Maine South my freshman and sophomore year, and they were both Saturday afternoon homecoming games at East and South. We both ruined each other's homecoming. ME won 41-18 at MS my freshman year and MS won 9-6 at ME my sophomore year).

But I have in the past driven by there many times when night games have been going on. See, to me it seemed dark there...but I think that's because the football field is out in the middle of the fields, which are all dark around it at night.

Only thing I thought was missing from homecoming was the grill tent. It was at the south end for Stevenson game but I didn't see it last week. We don't have a signature food like Barrington's pork chop sandwich, but it's still some pretty good grub.

Never noticed the lights as an issue, but will certainly be looking in the future. Been to all MSL venues many times each and many others but never noticed a difference and first time I've heard it mentioned.

As to Palatine play calling/pace of offense it's been that way mostly forever (15 years for me) and it's obvious in the stands to anyone that pays attention and knows football. I thought the QB/team did a good job of handling it - actually much better than some previous teams. It seemed like there were only a couple times where it affected the play or a time out was called. I like up-tempo, no huddle, stop-me-if-you-can offense. There have been some Palatine teams that have done that with great success for a series or 2. But most often the pace you saw Friday is "normal". Drives me crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT