ADVERTISEMENT

MS @ Palatine

Final. Pirates were backed up inside their own 20 for most of the half. Great defense by Maine south in the second half.

Would love to hear an analysis of this game.
I imagine Palatine stuffed the box and the edge to stop #41, did MS take any shots down the field?
Also, is Palatine's O-Line on the average to smaller size for an 8A?
Happy the Hawks were able to hold off a Palatine squad looking for some revenge....Sigh, 3-1 after that non conference schedule! Go Hawks!

These are 2 really good football teams. Could be the 8A semi or final. Palatine is a bit undersized but very quick and tough. However, they are very undisciplined. I've watched the Pirates for years and it seems as though the coaches and the players are always jawing at the officials.

These are 2 really good football teams. Could be the 8A semi or final. Palatine is a bit undersized but very quick and tough. However, they are very undisciplined. I've watched the Pirates for years and it seems as though the coaches and the players are always jawing at the officials.
I wouldn't call that undisciplined in the football sense, MS has had a lot of players over the years that jaw, and I would call it more cocky/whiny. Quick and tough are two of the best qualities you can have at the high school level, I'm sure PHS will be fine with one big tough test in Barrington left and what might be a pretty good Hoffman Estates team. I pray both teams came away with no serious injuries and they acted like gentlemen in victory and defeat.

Reactions: PRokie
I imagine Palatine stuffed the box and the edge to stop #41, did MS take any shots down the field?
Happy the Hawks were able to hold off a Palatine squad looking for some revenge....Sigh, 3-1 after that non conference schedule! Go Hawks!
Yes they took a lot of shots downfield but MS qb threw 3 int. 2 times inside the phs 20. Field position was huge as palatine couldn't get a drive going while starting on this own side of the field. I thought palatine did a nice job on 41. That was a great battle at the line of scrimmage. Biggest play of the game was the Maine south int before the half. Pirates were driving inside the 15 and threw a pick that was almost returned for a td. Pirates held Maine south to a 4th down but the hawks made a great call on the fake field goal to score a td. IMO the pirates are hurting at the rb position. They have 3 solid backs and one monster, #25, that they need to get healthy. If he's 100% watch out.

I wouldn't call that undisciplined in the football sense, MS has had a lot of players over the years that jaw, and I would call it more cocky/whiny. Quick and tough are two of the best qualities you can have at the high school level, I'm sure PHS will be fine with one big tough test in Barrington left and what might be a pretty good Hoffman Estates team. I pray both teams came away with no serious injuries and they acted like gentlemen in victory and defeat.
How is jawing at the officials not undisciplined? MS wins state titles and has one of the finest coaching staffs in the state. Those kids are disciplined. Rewatch the Palatine v. Loyola game from 2015 (snow bowl), Palatine players were out of control the entire game in terms of complaining to the officials. You just can't do that at most levels. These refs are human beings and it can definitely impact the game.

I did not see what you saw. Just normal as any hs football game.

To me undisciplined in Football starts with personal fouls, late hits, false starts, bad holds, and poor communication. Complaining, body language, yelling at and blaming refs is childish for a high schooler and unacceptable by coaches. Proper discipline of childish acts by the coaching helps assist in behavior. I just grew up playing disciplined football as doing your job as taught, and not allowing mental errors to cost your team.

Pretty normal as far as I could tell, and the players were not bad at all. When the coach(es) complained (ones I remember): pass interference not called several times, "fumble" by Palatine QB when arm was moving forward, possible late hit when a Palatine player was injured in the 4th - any good coach would have pleaded his case on all of them I saw. None were clearly wrong but all of them were borderline.

MS defense definitely did better in the 2nd half especially against the run. Palatine defense impressed me much more - someone should check the stats because that could have been a blowout win for MS instead of a 3 point win considering the short field they had in the 2nd half and how often they were inside the 10.

Pretty normal as far as I could tell, and the players were not bad at all. When the coach(es) complained (ones I remember): pass interference not called several times, "fumble" by Palatine QB when arm was moving forward, possible late hit when a Palatine player was injured in the 4th - any good coach would have pleaded his case on all of them I saw. None were clearly wrong but all of them were borderline.

MS defense definitely did better in the 2nd half especially against the run. Palatine defense impressed me much more - someone should check the stats because that could have been a blowout win for MS instead of a 3 point win considering the short field they had in the 2nd half and how often they were inside the 10.
Thanks for your thoughts, that is pretty encouraging as an MS fan; mistakes in red zone by MS QB are bad in the playoffs, but luckily he has a 2 very easy games, and what looks like 3 more against what appears to be lesser completion to right the ship.

Hmmmm. So none. And a ref that frequents the board said he loved calling palatine games and that a former coach was a class act. Sounds like somebody is building a false narrative for some reason.

It was a pick-fest. Palatine QB intercepted 4 times, Maine South QB intercepted 3 times. Palatine had a good short passing game going in the first half and then that INT right before the half and they seemed to shy away from it in the second half.

41 ran thru Palatine in the first drive, but after that yards were much harder to come by, and he never really broke a long one after the first drive, and was tackled for a loss more than a few times.

Palatine didn't execute at key times and gave Maine South short fields a number of times. After the first drive where MS ran thru PHS's defense, they only scored on a fake field goal after that late 2nd quarter pick gave them the ball inside Palatine's 25 yard line, and they they got the game winning field goal after a bad punt(after a Palatine pick at their 5 yard line) gave MS the ball around Palatine's 25 yard line. Those short fields were the whole difference in the game. Palatine's defense played well, and Maine South's defense shut down Palatine's run game in the second half.

Palatine's Johnny O'Shea touched the ball once all game on offense(that I can recall) and scored a 28-yd TD reception busting multiple tackles...why they didn't throw to him more is anybody's guess. Jack Orlando looked like he got seriously hurt on the last drive, when he was stopped and the refs didn't blow the whistle and he got piled on...that would be a big loss. Still no Cortez Hogans tonight. Charlie Canty had another good game in his place at MLB and ever had an INT deep in Palatine territory to stop an MS drive.

I didn't see to much jawing at the officials for either side actually. A little back and forth by the kids but nothing outrageous.

Tough game played by all.

I felt bad for our kid that got the holding call on the TD late in the game. That wasn't holding... it was pancake day!

Thanks for your thoughts, that is pretty encouraging as an MS fan; mistakes in red zone by MS QB are bad in the playoffs, but luckily he has a 2 very easy games, and what looks like 3 more against what appears to be lesser completion to right the ship.

Credit the Palatine defense instead of mistakes by MS QB, at least in the red zone. He threw several picks, but most of them were long passes before they were in the red zone.

Credit the Palatine defense instead of mistakes by MS QB, at least in the red zone. He threw several picks, but most of them were long passes before they were in the red zone.
One was an ill advised throw in the EZ

The others were long as you suggested.

Oh, and the question on the O-Line...they're not that undersized this year. Balanganyi is 6'4" 295 lbs, Walker is 6'2" 250, Juarez is 6'0" 230 lbs, Orozco is 5'9" 220 lbs, and Rivas is 5'9' 200 lbs. We've had far smaller lines in the past years.

My apologies, didn't see the game and wasn't my intention to imply that it was solely errant play by MS QB, regardless of how great(to an extent) the PHS int's were, with 3 ints I am imagine happened because he didn't make the BEST decision. My intention was to contend that they moved the ball on a very good PHS team and this kid has CSL south schedule to build confidence and live game seasoning.

My apologies, didn't see the game and wasn't my intention to imply that it was solely errant play by MS QB, regardless of how great(to an extent) the PHS int's were, with 3 ints I am imagine happened because he didn't make the BEST decision. My intention was to contend that they moved the ball on a very good PHS team and this kid has CSL south schedule to build confidence and live game seasoning.
The interceptions were probably a combination of errors and great plays by palatine. One was off of a tipped pass, the other two were outstanding plays by moertl and oshea. O'Shea looked like he was beat by the Maine south receiver but had a huge leap and came down with it. Was a dynamite play. I'm thinking these two could meet again in the playoffs. Two great teams who all shook hands after the last snap, even before they lined up at the 50. Definitely not undisciplined. Don't know what that one guy saw.

Oh, and the question on the O-Line...they're not that undersized this year. Balanganyi is 6'4" 295 lbs, Walker is 6'2" 250, Juarez is 6'0" 230 lbs, Orozco is 5'9" 220 lbs, and Rivas is 5'9' 200 lbs. We've had far smaller lines in the past years.
That Rivas kid must have a heart of a lion at that size and be a wrestler. Always surprised when a school that large2800? Doesn't have 7 to 10 kids 6'2+ and 230+ that have some athleticism that can outblock a 200lb kid...can't teach heart and drive though

No problem - both teams should be in the playoffs and both should be better by then!

The Mid Suburban/Central Suburban crossover games are great!

Reactions: Mateesen14
That Rivas kid must have a heart of a lion at that size and be a wrestler. Always surprised when a school that large2800? Doesn't have 7 to 10 kids 6'2+ and 230+ that have some athleticism that can outblock a 200lb kid...can't teach heart and drive though
Don't forget technique. Guys who go the right direction and use leverage win more times than not in high school

Reactions: Mateesen14
The interceptions were probably a combination of errors and great plays by palatine. One was off of a tipped pass, the other two were outstanding plays by moertl and oshea. O'Shea looked like he was beat by the Maine south receiver but had a huge leap and came down with it. Was a dynamite play. I'm thinking these two could meet again in the playoffs. Two great teams who all shook hands after the last snap, even before they lined up at the 50. Definitely not undisciplined. Don't know what that one guy saw.
That's great, sometimes passion can be misinterpreted as poor sportsmanship....and at MS we walk that line hard! From what I've seen in a few games and heard from tonight it looks like PHS, MS, Barrington and THE ACADEMY are the class of the North of 8A; a few years ago I would have bet the house that this would be the 8A North quarters, but with 1-32 some team will get a brutal draw with a 2 or 3 loss PHS team

No problem - both teams should be in the playoffs and both should be better by then!

The Mid Suburban/Central Suburban crossover games are great!
These games will hurt the Evanstons, GBS, Fremd teams who need those 5 wins to make the playoffs and rely on league crossover "cupcakes" for wins but greatly helps that top tier of the conference

Ju
Hmmmm. So none. And a ref that frequents the board said he loved calling palatine games and that a former coach was a class act. Sounds like somebody is building a false narrative for some reason.
Just an observation. I don't have a dog in the fight. In fact, I'm an LA guy and hoping we get a shot at both in the PO's.

I remember the 2015 game Bowie50 referenced and don't think he's remembering it wrong!

I would love to see Palatine/MS/Loyola rematches.

These games will hurt the Evanstons, GBS, Fremd teams who need those 5 wins to make the playoffs and rely on league crossover "cupcakes" for wins but greatly helps that top tier of the conference

It also exposes your team more...for better or worse.

Evanston, who despite losing to Palatine by 23 played very tough and who walloped Fremd 32-7 tonight, and GBS, who was 3-0 and hung with Barrington for a long time....better that expected.

Fremd, who is 0-4, and New Trier, who squeaked by Conant tonight 10-7, not nearly what they were expected to be....

I covered the game for the Daily Herald. The hitting out there was fierce and it was fun to watch.

Not sure what someone was complaining about jawing at the officials. I am on the sidelines for all the games I cover, this was no different than any other game.

Defense road the day for both teams as each forced 4 turnovers. Field position in the 4th quarter and Palatine's inability to punt the ball well really hurt them.

I love the crossover games and they will continue for the next two seasons.

It should (in the long run) help everyone. 5-4 teams need to have played and beaten some decent teams. 8-1 and 9-0 teams need to have been tested by quality play. The bottom line is success in the playoffs - and it should better prepare the teams that make it.

Reactions: Quags57
I covered the game for the Daily Herald. The hitting out there was fierce and it was fun to watch.

Not sure what someone was complaining about jawing at the officials. I am on the sidelines for all the games I cover, this was no different than any other game.

Defense road the day for both teams as each forced 4 turnovers. Field position in the 4th quarter and Palatine's inability to punt the ball well really hurt them.

I love the crossover games and they will continue for the next two seasons.

I haven't been following Palatine as closely this year... They had 1 punt in the 4th where I think the QB punted (very bad result) and then they had someone else punt later that was much better. Who's the regular kicker and do you think they were maybe thinking of trying something with the QB depending on the defense?

I haven't been following Palatine as closely this year... They had 1 punt in the 4th where I think the QB punted (very bad result) and then they had someone else punt later that was much better. Who's the regular kicker and do you think they were maybe thinking of trying something with the QB depending on the defense?
They run that rugby punt with the qb. He just happened to have two terrible punts before they switched punters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT