ADVERTISEMENT

Morris football program shut down after positive COVID-19 test

We all need to stop with the hypothetical "would you be ok if your kid played if a coach died" nonsense too. Because the reality is almost nobody will die. None of the kids will. And none of the healthy adults will. And the chances of a compromised adult dying now with the better treatment is also almost zero. When more than half of the deaths in the country are just confined to nursing homes, and we're talking 325 million total people, it's completely safe to do everything. Take precaution, protect ONLY THOSE needing protection, and you can do everything. No need to shut down over cases. No need for hysteria.

For those that take CDC stuff heavily, the director just said 30 minutes ago he wants all schools open and wouldn't have any issues with his 10 grandkids going. If schools can open, if bars and restaurants are open, if MLB NBA NFL can play than so can high schools. It's is simple as that. We just need to actually look at the numbers of what is happening and ignore the hysteria. Otherwise our children and grandkids won't have proper education and social opportunities for years. And yes, we also will still be alive regardless because this virus is not as deadly as we thought.

Wilmington is planning to go in-person education on the regular schedule. Meanwhile, Dr. Swick - the Superintendant - has announced that he has tested positive and is quarantined, and that the unit office has quarantined. Dr. Swick's 21 year old son apparently was notified of a contact, which resulted in the testing, and the whole family is now quarantined - and no one shows symptoms. The Wilmo Library has also closed after a staff member tested positive.

ICE schools are definitely leaning towards in-person education. Peotone, Herscher, Coal City, Reed Custer, Manteno and Wilmington appear to be going 5 days a week at school. Streator seems to be leaning half the kids in school M-Th, other half Tu-F, W all remote. Lisle is similar to Streator.

When surveyed, 77% of Manteno parents wanted their kids to be in school. This does not surprise me in the slightest...

The youth football league which the core 6 are all members of is full speed ahead unless the Governor outright says no.

But we are waiting for the Governor and IHSA to make decisions...

Reactions: Coalertown44
I wonder how much of the decision by parents to go back to school is work/financially related? I'm sure quite a bit and I don't blame them a bit. Out here in D308 (Oswego), The parents overwhelmingly want the kids back in school, but the teachers overwhelming voted for e-learning.

I wonder how much of the decision by parents to go back to school is work/financially related? I'm sure quite a bit and I don't blame them a bit. Out here in D308 (Oswego), The parents overwhelmingly want the kids back in school, but the teachers overwhelming voted for e-learning.

The e learning that took place last spring for my kid was worthless. Not sure what to look forward to this fall but the spring was absolutely no teaching.

The e learning that took place last spring for my kid was worthless. Not sure what to look forward to this fall but the spring was absolutely no teaching.
My wife is actually dreading e-learning and it's likely because she put in a lot of work, sitting in front of the computer for 5-6 hours a day, I won't say it was ideal for my kids, but they did have a lot of work to do throughout the day. I'm sure it's way easier for HS kids to adapt and learn than younger students and I'm at an advantage having a teacher in the district in my house. I just want to know the plan and adjust to it. I haven't had this much free time in probably 10 years or longer.

My wife is actually dreading e-learning and it's likely because she put in a lot of work, sitting in front of the computer for 5-6 hours a day, I won't say it was ideal for my kids, but they did have a lot of work to do throughout the day. I'm sure it's way easier for HS kids to adapt and learn than younger students and I'm at an advantage having a teacher in the district in my house. I just want to know the plan and adjust to it. I haven't had this much free time in probably 10 years or longer.

I have a younger kid so it was all busy work with a zoom call once a week. That is a no go for me the second time around.

Very ignorant thing to say on this board, especially with so many of us that have kids playing HS Ball and have a lot at stake, it’s life altering to them. And even to those that don’t, it’s not a hobby, it’s a passion, one that’s as common in this country as fishing, surfing, or hunting for examples, and not your place to judge especially on a board like this.
Not that I want to air out my personal business but football families aren’t the only ones suffering due to covid. I’ve spent the better part of my week dealing with a kid who’s been admitted for depression and covid restrictions is making therapy worse. I could have used a better choice of words and not say get a hobby. I was merely trying to put things in perspective. Whatever, think what you want to think about me, poke fun and even ignore me. I’m good.

Reactions: Nit92 and net-se
Not that I want to air out my personal business but football families aren’t the only ones suffering due to covid. I’ve spent the better part of my week dealing with a kid who’s been admitted for depression and covid restrictions is making therapy worse. I could have used a better choice of words and not say get a hobby. I was merely trying to put things in perspective. Whatever, think what you want to think about me, poke fun and even ignore me. I’m good.
In all seriousness, I hope your kid and your family are able to get through this very difficult time. Many people have no idea what it is like to see someone you deeply care for battle with depression - especially an adolescent or teenager. COVID is having an affect on many families outside of direct diagnosis. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

I can't go to the bar - Mayor Beetlejuice is shutting down the city's taverns at 12:01 A.M.

RE: Staying inside ... this just happened at my local public house. Got some details last night. Kid who was shot, his Uncle Ricky happened to be at the bar - and he went outside to give towel/aid as he could. "Uncle Ricky, take me gun!"

Sorry son - love you, but I can't do that!

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news...after-apparent-irving-park-drive-by-shooting/
lots of your hometown peeps got shut down(quarantined) tuesday. and jb flintsone is close to shutting down st. claire.

Reactions: Gene K.
In all seriousness, I hope your kid and your family are able to get through this very difficult time. Many people have no idea what it is like to see someone you deeply care for battle with depression - especially an adolescent or teenager. COVID is having an affect on many families outside of direct diagnosis. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
I appreciate that. It’s challenging but we’ll get through it. I like this board because I like high school football and it’s a good distraction from the rest of our crap. Covid’s tentacles have reached into here too and it’s a divisive topic. Sometimes I feel like I can talk shit here like I do with my friends but some don’t like my style. That’s life I guess. It’s time to go back into the bunker and give it a rest.

Sorry to hear about your son. I pray he is well during this difficult time. This is real life and I hear you and understand what your family is going through. Stay safe my friend.

Sorry to hear about your son. I pray he is well during this difficult time. This is real life and I hear you and understand what your family is going through. Stay safe my friend.
It’s my daughter actually but I appreciate the kind words.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Here is a video of Dr. Fauci throwing out the first pitch in Washington last night before the Yankees, Nationals game. The delivery didn't surprise me. But I thought it was interesting and perhaps telling how the ball took at hard "left" turn. LOL!:):)

We all need to stop with the hypothetical "would you be ok if your kid played if a coach died" nonsense too. Because the reality is almost nobody will die. None of the kids will. And none of the healthy adults will. And the chances of a compromised adult dying now with the better treatment is also almost zero. When more than half of the deaths in the country are just confined to nursing homes, and we're talking 325 million total people, it's completely safe to do everything. Take precaution, protect ONLY THOSE needing protection, and you can do everything. No need to shut down over cases. No need for hysteria.

For those that take CDC stuff heavily, the director just said 30 minutes ago he wants all schools open and wouldn't have any issues with his 10 grandkids going. If schools can open, if bars and restaurants are open, if MLB NBA NFL can play than so can high schools. It's is simple as that. We just need to actually look at the numbers of what is happening and ignore the hysteria. Otherwise our children and grandkids won't have proper education and social opportunities for years. And yes, we also will still be alive regardless because this virus is not as deadly as we thought.
You have been a voice of reason all through this. I hit the like button for your post before I finished your first sentence. I agree with all you have just written. It is all legitimate and it's the truth. Unfortunately, too many people who hold positions of power aren't considering what you're saying. They are looking at this from a political perspective as it became political from the moment this all started. Politics poisons everything it touches.

What amazes me is how inconsistent these people have been all through this. To them, some groups of people are being blamed for the increase of positive tests and some other groups aren't. They blame one group for not following the protocols. But, we have video evidence of the other groups violating the same protocols and not a peep out of them.

You have some people not wanting to open schools who all sing the same chorus of, "we need to protect our children." These are supposed to be "educated" people. They talk about following the science and facts, yet they are not. This is all being done in the name of politics and these people are evil for doing it, because they know better.

I think that the greatest risks being considered and the apprehension by the people making decisions is rooted in the evidence of a great number of the population refusing to adhere to the opening guidelines up to this point.

It’s without question that every member on this board wants to see high school football being played, preferably as normal as possible. But getting everyone to welcome a slight inconvenience (wearing a mask, keeping 6 ft, etc.) for the greater good of themselves and everyone else has proven to be more than a notion. Akin to, before all of this, witnessing guys coming out of a bathroom stall after taking a sh** and not washing their hands. WTF?????

I think that the greatest risks being considered and the apprehension by the people making decisions is rooted in the evidence of a great number of the population refusing to adhere to the opening guidelines up to this point.

It’s without question that every member on this board wants to see high school football being played, preferably as normal as possible. But getting everyone to welcome a slight inconvenience (wearing a mask, keeping 6 ft, etc.) for the greater good of themselves and everyone else has proven to be more than a notion. Akin to, before all of this, witnessing guys coming out of a bathroom stall after taking a sh** and not washing their hands. WTF?????
I disagree, the state of Illinois did exactly what was laid out and our numbers are proof of that.

I disagree, the state of Illinois did exactly what was laid out and our numbers are proof of that.
“Exactly”?? Not sure I would agree with your use of the term. Regardless, I will agree that Illinois has been doing comparatively well up until recently. Phase 4 has seemingly created some issues.

Reactions: Zebra

This right here. We could be well on out way to a season but some people didn't want to be inconvenienced and now don't want to accept the consequences. When I did play football we ran as a team, not individuals, when being disciplined.

This is our laps.

“Exactly”?? Not sure I would agree with your use of the term. Regardless, I will agree that Illinois has been doing comparatively well up until recently. Phase 4 has seemingly created some issues.
Look at the actual data, we are at about 4%. To get to phase 4, we needed to be under 20% to move from Phase 3 to 4. They are using a 1% increase to instill fear.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
This right here. We could be well on out way to a season but some people didn't want to be inconvenienced and now don't want to accept the consequences. When I did play football we ran as a team, not individuals, when being disciplined.

This is our laps.
We are 5 times away from going from phase 4 to 3, we've literally gone up 1% point since moving to phase 4.

Reactions: sporthog9er
We are 5 times away from going from phase 4 to 3, we've literally gone up 1% point since moving to phase 4.

The fact is there is a rise in cases and we haven’t even opened the floodgates yet. All of the numbers since March have been reflective of schools being closed. Any scientific reasoning would project an order of magnitude factor for reopening schools. The whole point is to get ahead of it and do the things necessary to reasonably stay ahead of it.

The fact is there is a rise in cases and we haven’t even opened the floodgates yet. All of the numbers since March have been reflective of schools being closed. Any scientific reasoning would project an order of magnitude factor for reopening schools. The whole point is to get ahead of it and do the things necessary to reasonably stay ahead of it.
We did that, Florida seems to be the hot topic now, do you realize that not only is their population much higher than ours and they have had over 200,000 more cases than Illinois, they have 2500 less deaths. Something doesn't add about that. Either way, it's going to be E-learning and no sports until the spring, no matter how much we worked to get our numbers down.

Why is everyone some hung up on the deaths. Covid can cause lung issues and other problems like heart and potential brain that people live with. I wish there was this much outrage when they cancelled Spri ng Sports.

Reactions: Zebra
Why is everyone some hung up on the deaths. Covid can cause lung issues and other problems like heart and potential brain that people live with. I wish there was this much outrage when they cancelled Spri ng Sports.
It's likely because the Mayor of the largest city in our state and the governor of the same state continually went on TV for about 2 months or more and stated "if you go outside and gather in groups, people are going to die" unless it's a protest.

Football isn't a spring sport.

Good article in the Chicago Tribune about e-learning for students in CPS. Seems a lot of kids aren't tuning in for lessons. How will that affect them going forward as they move into adulthood? Maybe e-learning in Chicago isn't working for some!

Reactions: McCaravan
Good article in the Chicago Tribune about e-learning for students in CPS. Seems a lot of kids aren't tuning in for lessons. How will that affect them going forward as they move into adulthood? Maybe e-learning in Chicago isn't working for some!
They knew that their grades could not be negatively affected in the spring. That's not the case now

Reactions: Gene K. and i011763
As many obstacles as many CPS students face in a normal year, I can't imagine that E-learning grades are going to matter much to those now than it mattered to them in April and May.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT