ADVERTISEMENT

Morris football program shut down after positive COVID-19 test

If 1 single positive test is always going to be the standard then prepare for nothing, ever... people will still be getting it in the spring, next summer, next fall, 2 springs from now......
It may take years to eradicate and the country will at some point have to accept that people are going to be infected. Since it’s still relatively new and we don’t fully understand it, it’s gonna take time. It’s just early to move on at this point. 4 months of this already seems like an eternity but it’s not. We’re just not accustomed to being told we can’t do things.

It may take years to eradicate and the country will at some point have to accept that people are going to be infected. Since it’s still relatively new and we don’t fully understand it, it’s gonna take time. It’s just early to move on at this point. 4 months of this already seems like an eternity but it’s not. We’re just not accustomed to being told we can’t do things.

Oh, so we need to not play so we have more time to mentally adjust to living with this? Us learning to live with this has nothing to do with outcomes or survival rate. So let’s just take time to feel better about it before we move on...

Oh, so we need to not play so we have more time to mentally adjust to living with this? Us learning to live with this has nothing to do with outcomes or survival rate. So let’s just take time to feel better about it before we move on...
If your life is so greatly disrupted because there’s no high school football then you probably need a new hobby.

No I just have bigger fish to fry.

You make a ridiculous statement about needing time to “come to terms” with living with covid, I call you on it... you reply by attacking the messenger not my message, I call you on it.... you reply with another non-reply, see the pattern here? But we are supposed to think like you when it comes to living with covid. :rolleyes:

You make a ridiculous statement about needing time to “come to terms” with living with covid, I call you on it... you reply by attacking the messenger not my message, I call you on it.... you reply with another non-reply, see the pattern here? But we are supposed to think like you when it comes to living with covid. :rolleyes:
You don’t have to think or live like me. I just made a general statement about where the country is on this. It’s not going away anytime soon and none of us should be surprised about where football is going.

If your life is so greatly disrupted because there’s no high school football then you probably need a new hobby.
Very ignorant thing to say on this board, especially with so many of us that have kids playing HS Ball and have a lot at stake, it’s life altering to them. And even to those that don’t, it’s not a hobby, it’s a passion, one that’s as common in this country as fishing, surfing, or hunting for examples, and not your place to judge especially on a board like this.

What if you presented the argument as "How many players would play if it meant one of their coaches would potentially die because of this one season?" Looking around the landscape of high school coaching staffs, you'd usually find a few of the biggest red flags in age, health conditions and proximity to a vast majority of kids. Anyone who's in schools yearly know how quickly a simple cold or flu could wipe people out. If given the opportunity, I'm sure very few coaches would choose not to sit out and like everything, coaches would assume the risk they know is there by coaching. But those coaches have families to think about, young children and family members also with health conditions. Coaches have their elderly parents living at home. Statistically, a high school coach in the state of Illinois will get sick and may potentially die because of the football season. Is that worth it to the team?

I'm part of the team that acknowledges you assume the risk everyday by normal living, but high school football, although vital to many lives and futures, is not normal living. Does the reward of playing football to see only 8 teams achieve the ultimate goal make it worth the risk of a possible coach or player death? Football coaches are community figure heads. There's pressure every day they allow kids to workout or have a social distance practice because it takes one positive test to have a kid never be the same again. I'm not saying its easy and this entire situation sucks so much, but the sad reality is the downside isn't losing a game, it's somebody's life.

I can just see LWeastdad, No Bias Just Reality, and a few others on this board driving in their cars by themselves with their masks on.

Ummm, I only wear a mask when forced when entering a store..... I think we should be back to normal and playing already.... how do you put me in the idiot category of mask on in car?

If 1 single positive test is always going to be the standard then prepare for nothing, ever... people will still be getting it in the spring, next summer, next fall, 2 springs from now......
Unfortunately, one single positive test shutting things down right now is the reality... That one positive test becomes a domino effect because any coaches or players that have had contact with that positive case now have to quarantine for 14 days. Based on that you will be wiping teams out for 2 weeks not to mention their opponent if this were to happen during the season.

Until that parts changes it's going to be very difficult to have a season.

Unfortunately, one single positive test shutting things down right now is the reality... That one positive test becomes a domino effect because any coaches or players that have had contact with that positive case now have to quarantine for 14 days. Based on that you will be wiping teams out for 2 weeks not to mention their opponent if this were to happen during the season.

Until that parts changes it's going to be very difficult to have a season.
This is an unfortunate reality. I don’t think there will be any football at any level, NCAA and NFL included, this fall or possibly deep into next year. Spring option buys them 5 more months of time. All these states saying they are going to have it will end up canceling in a matter of time, even if nobody in there program gets this, someone on there schedule will and have to forfeit. You guys know me....I’ve fought tooth and nail believing we can have this season but the powers that be just won’t allow it.

Last edited:
This is an unfortunate reality. I don’t think there will be any football at any level, NCAA and NFL included, this fall or possibly this year. Spring option buys them 5 more months of time. All these states saying they are going to have it will end up canceling in a matter of time, even if nobody in there program gets this, someone on there schedule will and have to forfeit. You guys know me....I’ve fought tooth and nail believing we can have this season but the powers that be just won’t allow it.
yep, I'm fully resigned to believe it's E-learning to start and All sports in 2021 starting in January, the sooner they let us know, the sooner we can move forward with figuring out other options.

Reactions: McCaravan
Fall football is not happening.
I am preparing myself that it will be either fall football (maybe slight delay) or bust for the entire 2020-2021 school year. I just do not see the IHSA and schools going so far out-of-the-box with all the massive upheaval plans being floated about when actual push comes to shove.

Reactions: Gene K.
Stop freaking out over cases
Agreed. I will bet a healthy percentage of people here have no idea the CDC said six weeks ago that we are no longer in a pandemic. The odds of kids transmitting the virus are incredibly low. It's almost zero. One person tests positive and some of you freak out. The only certain thing is that there is a ton of misinformation out there being put forward by people with a political agenda. They are trying to scare the hell out of you and apparently it's working. Those people and most of the media should be ashamed of themselves with the flat out lies they are telling. These are the people telling us about the number of Covid deaths when not all are actually Covid deaths.

We hear about an increase of cases, but not in deaths commensurate with the new cases. The average stay in the hospital has gone down to 3-5 days. Much lower than in April and May. That is, if a person even needs to go to the hospital. The theory behind this is that it's possible some people have acquired some immunity that either lowers the amount of the stay or a person being asymptomatic. And the stays are becoming shorter because the treatment has evolved and is more effective. I have said before, my daughter-in-law is an Oncology RN who treated Covid patients, because the hospital was overrun with them. In talking to her last Friday she said they only have a few and she hasn't been part of that for weeks. And she doesn't work at a small hospital.

I don't have kids playing football. But, if I did I'd be furious over the possibility the sport might not be played in the fall. Those of you talking about waiting for a vaccine, stop it! You aren't adding anything of value to the discussion. For months now I have asked all of you "vaccine people" to give me a plan if an effective vaccine isn't found and none of you have stepped forward. If someone tests positive, you isolate them. You don't freak out and say let's scrap the whole thing. It's no wonder there are far more followers in this world than leaders.

So I proposed this on another thread and never heard anything against it. What are your thoughts??

Colin from The Herd Show gave me the idea.

------

Too late for this but what if the football season started in the beginning of July and teams played games for the first 2 weeks and then took 2 weeks off, then play 2 games and 2 weeks off and so on until all the games are played.

This time off in between would allow recovery time for everybody.

I guess this scenario would still work if we start the season on time and play into January to get the playoffs in like the NFL.

This is an unfortunate reality. I don’t think there will be any football at any level, NCAA and NFL included, this fall or possibly deep into next year. Spring option buys them 5 more months of time. All these states saying they are going to have it will end up canceling in a matter of time, even if nobody in there program gets this, someone on there schedule will and have to forfeit. You guys know me....I’ve fought tooth and nail believing we can have this season but the powers that be just won’t allow it.
And yet baseball is going forward tonight and hockey is soon to follow.

And yet baseball is going forward tonight and hockey is soon to follow.
I hope and pray that I’m wrong...I know I mentioned no NFL in my post but professional sports have the financial ability to test daily and upgrade helmets for top of the line faceguards. High Schools don’t have the money to do that, especially daily testing. Will sleaves, legging and gloves be required too to prevent against grabbing sweat after a tackle or block. Again I hope I’m wrong, I’ll give my sons permission to play with precautions in place, I just don’t see them taking the risk. And I’ll root for the lawsuit too that it gets overturn!

What if you presented the argument as "How many players would play if it meant one of their coaches would potentially die because of this one season?" Looking around the landscape of high school coaching staffs, you'd usually find a few of the biggest red flags in age, health conditions and proximity to a vast majority of kids. Anyone who's in schools yearly know how quickly a simple cold or flu could wipe people out. If given the opportunity, I'm sure very few coaches would choose not to sit out and like everything, coaches would assume the risk they know is there by coaching. But those coaches have families to think about, young children and family members also with health conditions. Coaches have their elderly parents living at home. Statistically, a high school coach in the state of Illinois will get sick and may potentially die because of the football season. Is that worth it to the team?

I'm part of the team that acknowledges you assume the risk everyday by normal living, but high school football, although vital to many lives and futures, is not normal living. Does the reward of playing football to see only 8 teams achieve the ultimate goal make it worth the risk of a possible coach or player death? Football coaches are community figure heads. There's pressure every day they allow kids to workout or have a social distance practice because it takes one positive test to have a kid never be the same again. I'm not saying its easy and this entire situation sucks so much, but the sad reality is the downside isn't losing a game, it's somebody's life.

I think its crazy as hell to EVER try to put the death of someone from this on ONE person or kid!! Some adults are just not adults!

if technology was as prevalent when the flu outbreak hit - would we do the same things we are doing now for the flu?

how about the swine flu and every other virus that has come through.

legit question

Your post presents a legitimate point. The contingency that is most vocal on here likes to generally ignore these kinds of posts because it doesn't help their confirmation bias.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Your post presents a legitimate point. The contingency that is most vocal on here likes to generally ignore these kinds of posts because it doesn't help their confirmation bias.

To be clear, what is the continent ignoring? If football is not played in the fall or this year at all, everyone will be fine eventually. What is not okay is that adults has screwed this thing so badly that kids are somewhat being punished. Here is a FACT, the virus was here when the state games took place in November. We went five months (November - March) with no major issues even though the Virus was here. Today we have tested in Illinois just shy of 3 million people. We have 165K cases and 7K deaths yet the 90% of negatives cases is overshadowed by the "Possibility" of whatever. Okay, lets play the game for a minute.

Should we stop driving considering the number of accidents and fatalities?
As a country or state, should we ban foods that have proven to be cancerous?
Should we not go outside period because there is a risk of losing your life daily? Especially if you live in high crime areas.

In short, as an adult, nothing has been taking away from you. You can do EVERYTHING you did before the virus hit. All they ask is for you to wear a mask. On the flip side, those same adults who can come and go as they are pleased, want kids to miss out.

To me, if no sports, we need to go back to phase one and EVERYONE suffer!

Reactions: Gene K.
In short, as an adult, nothing has been taking away from you. You can do EVERYTHING you did before the virus hit. All they ask is for you to wear a mask. On the flip side, those same adults who can come and go as they are pleased, want kids to miss out.
I can't go to the bar - Mayor Beetlejuice is shutting down the city's taverns at 12:01 A.M.

RE: Staying inside ... this just happened at my local public house. Got some details last night. Kid who was shot, his Uncle Ricky happened to be at the bar - and he went outside to give towel/aid as he could. "Uncle Ricky, take me gun!"

Sorry son - love you, but I can't do that!

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news...after-apparent-irving-park-drive-by-shooting/

Reactions: net-se and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT