ADVERTISEMENT

Someone needs to make a documentary about Addison Driscoll

Plenty of kids from Bloomingdale wind up at SF and MCHS, along with Lake Park and maybe Viator.

The Bloomingdale Bears program has slipped in the last 5-10 years, maybe demographics? Leadership? I really don’t know, I just hear it’s down from where it used to be.
Naz has a lot of Bloomingdale Bears on their lower levels.

A Doc Series 2-3 episodes would be perfect. A Hour wouldn't be enough IMO. The back story, Total dominance and, What happen after the closer, similar to what's being said on the thread. someone pick this up!!

Good stuff here… just figured I’d throw in my thoughts as an “outsider”. I graduated in 07 from a 4A school 2 hours away (so played 06 as my last year).

We absolutely knew of Driscoll, and we wanted Driscoll in the playoffs. Every guy on our team wanted a chance to compete with them and knock them out. It didn’t work out for my team as we lost the game before we would meet them in playoffs, but they were absolutely the “Main Boss” and everyone knew it. Hell we had guys calling for Driscoll during pregame of that game and obviously did not help us lol.

Two years later the team was a half yard and 1 second from knocking em out in the 3rd round but they escaped. Would have been great to be the school to end the streak! Bottom line, even if you weren’t in Chicagoland, you knew who the hell Addison Driscoll was.

Coaches, boosters, AD, alums, players.

One player who came to Montini was late the first seven days of school. Parents and kid were shocked he was disciplined.

The administration at Driscoll lost control. All inbound donations were earmarked for athletics, nothing to broadening the capability of the actual education part of the school. It was really off the rails.
Sounds like some of the rumors were indeed true.

Reactions: MsDavis10
I think all 3 from DC were starters. One was a great player, Nick Campanella. One was a good pass rusher and there was a big guy on the defensive line that was at Montini and came back to Montini.

This has been a very cool read. It reminds me of a similar powerhouse type sports school opening up in Cincinnati, OH called CAPE. Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education. Here's a good write up in it: https://vault.si.com/vault/1987/10/...-education-is-dedicated-to-fitness-and-sports

Gotta admire a vision that doesn't hide behind the guise of religion.
The religious part is the necessary part in order to have private schools, so it’s part of the game.

I think all 3 from DC were starters. One was a great player, Nick Campanella. One was a good pass rusher and there was a big guy on the defensive line that was at Montini and came back to Montini.
Big guy on the d line was Dylan Thompson. He came later but would have likely gone to Driscoll but was 4-5 years removed. Campanella was the only big contributor. The others went elsewhere, like Pierre Washington-Steele went to GBW.

Coaches, boosters, AD, alums, players.
The administration at Driscoll lost control. All inbound donations were earmarked for athletics, nothing to broadening the capability of the actual education part of the school. It was really off the rails.
Shoulda gave some of that $$$ to improving that football field. Place was rough.

Big guy on the d line was Dylan Thompson. He came later but would have likely gone to Driscoll but was 4-5 years removed. Campanella was the only big contributor. The others went elsewhere, like Pierre Washington-Steele went to GBW.

I was thinking of Sam Lichanous (spelling??) as the big guy from Driscoll and Zech Tredenick as the pass rusher from Driscoll.

JR Campise also came from DC but did not play much.

Washington Steele actually died in a car crash in Glen Ellyn.

Reactions: Gestalt45
Didn’t a good amount of the juniors when the school closed end up at Montini. I don’t know why I feel like I remember a stud RB went from Driscoll to Montini for sr year?
Nick Campanella, who played at Georgetown.
5-6 kids went to Naz and really set the foundation - lost to PR at PR in the Quarterfinals.

They came up in a convo recently, and it made me recall how dominant they were. 7 straight titles, and then the school was shut down the following spring. Girls hoops won a title the winter before they closed as well.

I obviously don't have this info, but I highly doubt another high school in the United States has ever closed the spring after winning a state football championship, let alone 7.

I think a documentary on the program would be fascinating. Where did all the players and coaches go after the school closed? There had to be kids growing up nearby who dreamed of playing there and then poof, school closes. Lot of interesting stories to be unearthed there.

Would love to hear any reminiscence anyone on the board has about that stretch of Driscoll dominance or the school/closing in general.
Football also won a title in '91 vs. the Robinson Marooons.

Don't forget about the baseball program.

Trips to downstate: 85, 90, 91, 92, 94, 97, 99, 00. 01, 06
3rd Place - 91, 06
2nd Place - 00
1st Place - 92, 94, 97

Complete athetic history -- https://illinoishighschoolglorydays...on-driscoll-catholic-high-school-highlanders/

I taught and coached at DC, and was there through the closing.
Don't believe everythign you read on internet message boards.
Coached at Driscoll and we should believe you that this was just a simple misfire of some sort?

The truth is you'll never get the truth out of a coach from Driscoll. Find a former teacher who wasn't a coach and that will give you some insight.

We actually know a former head coach at DC who played QB at Montini and threw to the states best WR his sr year, right?

Reactions: Johkar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT