ADVERTISEMENT

Morris changing mascot name

It seems unclear - are they going to be the Redskins until they come up with a new name or are they going Washington/Lemont style with no nickname for the time being?

Hopefully CG is safe although who knows these days. We all use to joke that we’d get a new stadium with a roof and call it the Trojan Condome.
Regarding "this " mascot, back in 1995, Bloom Trail HS Blazers and flagship Bloom Twp. HS Trojans re-combined their athletic programs under the mascot, Blazing Trojans. Two Southland media personalities were hosting a 30-minute local HS sports television show at the time. Sure enough during one episode, a condom was lit on the air creating a true blazing Trojan.

• Haha
Reactions: greatgig13
All..... Chatham Glenwood out of the Central State Eight went through a name change awhile back. And boy did it get ugly with the hard cores. The school went from the Redskins to the Titans. Residents from a particular tribe were going to do a protest and that was enough for the school board in making the change. I remember hearing the last year under the Redskin moniker they sold a ton of all types of apparel. Now the name change was at least a decade ago. I still see those Redskin t shirts and sweat shirts being worn and a flag or two flying with the Redskin name on it at Chatham games. Ratsy

Ok I'll got out on a limb here. I don't like the move. Don't think it's necessary. Really like that Minooka is sticking to their guns and not budging.

Reactions: Rdooley1
Ok I'll got out on a limb here. I don't like the move. Don't think it's necessary. Really like that Minooka is sticking to their guns and not budging.

I’ve always found the debate around the issue interesting since most polls show that American Indians don’t really care about the issue. Its mainly just white people fighting amongst themselves.

Regarding "this " mascot, back in 1995, Bloom Trail HS Blazers and flagship Bloom Twp. HS Trojans re-combined their athletic programs under the mascot, Blazing Trojans. Two Southland media personalities were hosting a 30-minute local HS sports television show at the time. Sure enough during one episode, a condom was lit on the air creating a true blazing Trojan.

Search Drake+condom+hot sauce for an incredible story.

RIP Ponz......A Classic on Local TV Channel

Reactions: johnndoe
I’ve always found the debate around the issue interesting since most polls show that American Indians don’t really care about the issue. Its mainly just white people fighting amongst themselves.
As long as Lane Tech continues to stall, Minooka shouldn't change a thing.

Can you cite any of these polls?

Can you cite any of these polls?

2016 Washington Post poll found 90% of Native Americans weren’t offended by the name Redskins but things like the Tomahawk chop or guy dressed up dancing around don’t fair as well.

We taking bets on this one yet....don't hold your breath any change...for
It's getting closer. The same person quoted in the article spearheaded the Morris change and is at every 111 BOE meeting. It is coming at some point. When, I can't say though. I guess what I don't understand is it's only directed at the HS. The JRHS and middle schools all have native american mascots as well as the jr league football/cheer teams.

Last edited:
OK< I saw the article. I do recall two major points: Ten percent of Native Americans were offended -- that's 540,000 American citizens. Secondly, the three major issues facing these foldks are substandard schools, addiction and employment. I guess slurs will have to wait. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
2016 Washington Post poll found 90% of Native Americans weren’t offended by the name Redskins but things like the Tomahawk chop or guy dressed up dancing around don’t fair as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross Bones
With the current pussification, Notre Dame will be changing their mascot within 20 years...
As a half Irish American I am very offended by the name Fighting Irish but I can be bought. A cool 10 million would probably do it. : )

As a potential PETA member I'm also offended by the names Bears, Cubs & Bulls (ching, ching).

Shall I continue? And for any of the VERY SLOW members here, YES this post is dripping with Sarcasm.

I'm an American of Polish descent. I am "offended" that no teams have a kielbasa or kolaczki mascot. I bet a lot of other ethnic groups are offended also. This ethnic discrimination just simply has to stop. Just think if every school could come up with a ethnic mascot we could have something like the Montini mostacciolli's, Loyola quiche, Fenwick frankfurters or franks for short, etc. I'm sure this venerable group could come up with other mascots with an ethnic blend of foods which shouldn't "offend" anyone.

I'm an American of Polish descent. I am "offended" that no teams have a kielbasa or kolaczki mascot. I bet a lot of other ethnic groups are offended also. This ethnic discrimination just simply has to stop. Just think if every school could come up with a ethnic mascot we could have something like the Montini mostacciolli's, Loyola quiche, Fenwick frankfurters or franks for short, etc. I'm sure this venerable group could come up with other mascots with an ethnic blend of foods which shouldn't "offend" anyone.
All..... Better yet how about the cwikla(s) ! My grandmother used to make that stuff up. Stunk up the whole house.... And make your eyes water. Ratsy

Reactions: Gene K.
I must have been too Americanized! Never heard of cwikla(s). What is it?
All.... Horseradish ( paste like and pink) stuff. Hotter then Hades and stinky. You could put it on just about anything. As I mentioned her whole house would stink hours after she made it. (lol) Ratsy

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I'd love to see a breakdown of this issue by age.

Reactions: corey90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT