ADVERTISEMENT

Is A Change Coming?..Attn: 4A North

MIKEFTB

Jul 7, 2001
Bolingbrook IL
Per Morris Herald News Twitter/X

The Morris Community High School Board will decide whether or not the school's new mascot will be either the Riverhawks or the Mustangs at its school board meeting at 6 p.m.next Monday....Wonder if it's open to the public....
https://t.co/cUsdo0hgaV

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
I was told at the Morris-JC game this year that a name change was happening next season.

I was told at the Morris-JC game this year that a name change was happening next season.
It won't take full effect until 2025, but the school board is tired of everyone being mad at them so they just want to push the vote through and be done with it.

My vote was to really piss people off and keep the name Redskins but adjust it to Red Skins and make the mascot a red potato.
I agree
I hate all these people saying they are offended. This is the sign of times. The Atlanta Braves will be next.

Reactions: 4Afan
I agree
I hate all these people saying they are offended. This is the sign of times. The Atlanta Braves will be next.
Well unfortunately if people are offended, how are you going to tell them they are wrong? Get rid of mascots altogether and then nobody/nothing is offended.

Reactions: RoaminCatholic
Maybe..it looks like that's the road that Lemont has chosen when they dropped the name Indians which was one time Injuns. Over the years we've seen Naperville Central & Marist drop Redskins, Niles West drop Indians and TF South drop Rebels All made the change from longtime mascot names in the name of political correctness. Momence has dropped the Redskins nickname and now calls themselves the Momence Athletics . I only kniw of one other school using Redskins and that's Nokomis way down south of Taylorville

As far as Morris? There has been plenty if time that they could as part of the school high school district put this in a referendum and had the registered voters in the school district vote to change the name or leave it. If the voting citizens residing within the Morris High School District vote to change it...than the people have spoken and you choose a new name.. if a majority vote to leave it the way it is then they're the Morris Redskins it's that simple.... is Morris high schoool not garnering tax dollars from homeowners within the district? the people should be voting on this that live in the district not five school board members or whatever who want to bum rush it through because they're tired of getting hassled.

Maybe..it looks like that's the road that Lemont has chosen when they dropped the name Indians which was one time Injuns. Over the years we've seen Naperville Central & Marist drop Redskins, Niles West drop Indians and TF South drop Rebels All made the change from longtime mascot names in the name of political correctness. Momence has dropped the Redskins nickname and now calls themselves the Momence Athletics . I only kniw of one other school using Redskins and that's Nokomis way down south of Taylorville

As far as Morris? There has been plenty if time that they could as part of the school high school district put this in a referendum and had the registered voters in the school district vote to change the name or leave it. If the voting citizens residing within the Morris High School District vote to change it...than the people have spoken and you choose a new name.. if a majority vote to leave it the way it is then they're the Morris Redskins it's that simple.... is Morris high schoool not garnering tax dollars from homeowners within the district? the people should be voting on this that live in the district not five school board members or whatever who want to bum rush it through because they're tired of getting hassled.
Agree with all of this!

The issue is the community would vote to keep Redskins and I'm not sure if it's true, but the rumor I heard was that if they didn't change the IHSA wouldn't allow them to host post season tournament games. So no regional, sectionals, etc.

Agree with all of this!

The issue is the community would vote to keep Redskins and I'm not sure if it's true, but the rumor I heard was that if they didn't change the IHSA wouldn't allow them to host post season tournament games. So no regional, sectionals, etc.
Pressure!

Well unfortunately if people are offended, how are you going to tell them they are wrong? Get rid of mascots altogether and then nobody/nothing is offended.
People are offended for a lot of reasons. I mean some for good reasons and some because they have a platform. Just saying.

People are offended for a lot of reasons. I mean some for good reasons and some because they have a platform. Just saying.
Is it truly based on an ethnic group being offended or people that think they are doing good on behalf of that group? Who knows? Probably best for the school to join the trend and make the change. Yeah it’s hard to understand for some, but I’m not about disagreeing with people who are offended especially if it’s ethnicity related.

Reactions: jha618
Is it truly based on an ethnic group being offended or people that think they are doing good on behalf of that group? Who knows? Probably best for the school to join the trend and make the change. Yeah it’s hard to understand for some, but I’m not about disagreeing with people who are offended especially if it’s ethnicity related.
I know.

No longer live in Morris, but was born and raised there and family still lives there and in my 41 years there has never been one Native American protest at the school or in the town of Morris.

Agree with all of this!

Yeah I see. like FedEx threatened to pull their billion dollar corporate sponsorship away from the NFL team in DC if they didn't drop their team's name only to have it replaced by something that sounds like it came off of a PS5 game.
The baseball team in Cleveland too. $$$$$ talks...
How about that school to the east of Morris in Grundy County? No mention of name change there?

Reactions: 4Afan
Yeah I see. like FedEx threatened to pull their billion dollar corporate sponsorship away from the NFL team in DC if they didn't drop their team's name only to have it replaced by something that sounds like it came off of a PS5 game.
The baseball team in Cleveland too. $$$$$ talks...
How about that school to the east of Morris in Grundy County? No mention of name change there?
No rumblings as far as I've heard. You'd need to check with Edgy, that's his backyard.

I know.

No longer live in Morris, but was born and raised there and family still lives there and in my 41 years there has never been one Native American protest at the school or in the town of Morris.
I mean, at a certain point if a name or logo or symbol (or whatever) is obviously controversial enough, I'm not sure why an organization would put the onus on a group to put a individually staged protest at each location. Groups against it are pretty clear on it and it applies to all. Not like they should need additional information on the debates of that nickname to make their decision.

Reactions: jha618
Lemont has yet to pick a name nickname. The board picked Titans which the kids didn't want. The kids chose Engines which the adults said nope,sounds too much like Injuns which is a totally different thing. So the students said then no nickname. TF South changed because the area changed. To be fair many of the students there didn't want to change only a handful were offended by the Rebels but not by the mass of gangs who have moved into a once nice area. Out here no schools named Rebels or Redskins have changed. They tell the woke groups to piss up a rope. Lane Tech changed & my Uncle was very upset as he said the Indian & the statue at Lane Tech was highly regarded & not racist. So he took back his donations as did many others.

Mr. Bamboo gave into pressure down in Pekin.
There is an interesting video on this story.
Like I said there is a store in Pekin where if you go in & ask if they have any merchandise with the old nickname on it they take you to the back of the store. Years ago a CPS football team was winless. They were gonna play at an undefeated Southern Illinois football team called the Rebels. The Grand Puba didn't want this so he & the football coach said oh we are NOT playing a team called the Rebels,we forfeit. Julie Unrow did a story on this. The news out in Southern Illinois buried her. They said we were the Rebels last year when we came up to Chicago & beat the same guys & where was your news when our cheerleaders & players & coaches got hit with glass when their people threw rocks at our busses & busted some windows??? Then ofc it came out the Rebels nickname was only an excuse not to travel for an beating.

Lemont should become the Scalpers and use this as their logo.

fb8c3825cfb45617b1a8fafd71f31e6b_xl.jpg

Lemont has yet to pick a name nickname. The board picked Titans which the kids didn't want.
I'll grant that I went to both a High School and a University (SLU Billikens) with unique mascots (University even more so than HS), but I can't believe when schools/teams end up picking new nicknames they can come up with some of the most generic junk possible. Pick something inventive and unique that is easy to point to and say "everyone knows where the X are from".

Last edited:
Like I said there is a store in Pekin where if you go in & ask if they have any merchandise with the old nickname on it they take you to the back of the store. Years ago a CPS football team was winless. They were gonna play at an undefeated Southern Illinois football team called the Rebels. The Grand Puba didn't want this so he & the football coach said oh we are NOT playing a team called the Rebels,we forfeit. Julie Unrow did a story on this. The news out in Southern Illinois buried her. They said we were the Rebels last year when we came up to Chicago & beat the same guys & where was your news when our cheerleaders & players & coaches got hit with glass when their people threw rocks at our busses & busted some windows??? Then ofc it came out the Rebels nickname was only an excuse not to travel for an beating.
Please, 3 clues on the CPS team without saying exactly?

• Haha
Reactions: crusader_of_90
All of
I'll grant that I went to both a High School and a University (SLU Bilikins) with unique mascots (University even more so than HS), but I can't believe when schools/teams end up picking new nicknames they can come up with some of the most generic junk possible. Pick something inventive and unique that is easy to point to and say "everyone knows where the X are from".
t
I'll grant that I went to both a High School and a University (SLU Bilikins) with unique mascots (University even more so than HS), but I can't believe when schools/teams end up picking new nicknames they can come up with some of the most generic junk possible. Pick something inventive and unique that is easy to point to and say "everyone knows where the X are from".
I got some shirts with the cute imp on it.

Just from a quick read on their history, here’s a few that I saw that could tie the name back to their history:

Morris:

Illini
Big Blue
Corn Huskers
Bison
Buffaloes
Miners
Deerskins
Beavers
Racers

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Please, 3 clues on the CPS team without saying exactly?
One of the many CICS teams. I must correct that the school was Central Illinois & is no longer as they consolidated. Also another factor was the school ran with the Confederate flag when they scored. I'm glad Bremen,Kankakee,Crete Monee,Thornwood & Ridgewood among many others haven't caved in yet & changed native american nicknames & rebel nicknames

Just from a quick read on their history, here’s a few that I saw that could tie the name back to their history:

Morris:

Illini
Big Blue
Corn Huskers
Bison
Buffaloes
Miners
Deerskins
Beavers
Racers
The Engines one is funny because there some train history there and you could make some fun connections, but I understand the Injun homophone concern. Tons of history as one of Illinois earliest European settlements. How did they get Titans?!

What's the bigger issue:
Indigenous People being offended by team mascots
or
People telling Indigenous People what they can and can't be offended by
The fact of the matter is...in virtually every study and every poll done of Indigenous people, fully over 95% of Indigenous people are NOT offended by these nicknames. i.e. Holden Armenta with KC Chiefs face paint and his father Bubba. FYI, they BOTH have more Indigenous blood than most of the people doing the complaining.

It is the other 5% or more who are just loud and do find offense. Why? No one really knows for sure. They might tell you why? But is it true? So, should the change be made to satisfy the 5% of those people even when 95% don't mind? Or is part of the change being made to make some Non-Indigenous feel better about themselves. Symbolism over substance.

Do these changes actually make their lives better? Does it enrich them more? Does it open up new "opportunities" for them? Are their living conditions and the neighborhoods they live in improve vastly, or at all?

Have any of them lost job or career opportunities because Washington used the nickname "Redskins?" Were their homes and property burned because Cleveland used the nickname "Indians?"

I think the changes will continue to be made. Fine. But no improvement of substance will occur in the lives of those complaining. None.

I still don’t understand this issue. Somebody please explain it to me.

If the name is actually offensive…doesn’t that mean that people believe the founders of the high school purposely picked a mascot to mock people of a different color skin?

People actually believe this? What am I missing?

• Haha
Reactions: AmbroseBlack
The fact of the matter is...in virtually every study and every poll done of Indigenous people, fully over 95% of Indigenous people are NOT offended by these nicknames. i.e. Holden Armenta with KC Chiefs face paint and his father Bubba. FYI, they BOTH have more Indigenous blood than most of the people doing the complaining.

It is the other 5% or more who are just loud and do find offense. Why? No one really knows for sure. They might tell you why? But is it true? So, should the change be made to satisfy the 5% of those people even when 95% don't mind? Or is part of the change being made to make some Non-Indigenous feel better about themselves. Symbolism over substance.

Do these changes actually make their lives better? Does it enrich them more? Does it open up new "opportunities" for them? Are their living conditions and the neighborhoods they live in improve vastly, or at all?

Have any of them lost job or career opportunities because Washington used the nickname "Redskins?" Were their homes and property burned because Cleveland used the nickname "Indians?"

I think the changes will continue to be made. Fine. But no improvement of substance will occur in the lives of those complaining. None.
Probably not. No one's going to have a life changing event if the name is changed. Maybe its just about not being a total POS and having team names that could be derogatory towards another race, ethnic, or religious group. Not sure why anyone would want to keep a name that is derogatory towards another group. Well, maybe I know why. But its ok. Some things and people have not changed.

Probably not. No one's going to have a life changing event if the name is changed. Maybe its just about not being a total POS and having team names that could be derogatory towards another race, ethnic, or religious group. Not sure why anyone would want to keep a name that is derogatory towards another group. Well, maybe I know why. But its ok. Some things and people have not changed.
Ok fine. Who gets to determine what's offensive, or racist or offends some ethnic or religious groups?

Why is it up to you or the Morris school board to determine what is offensive to an entirely different group of people you are not a part of?

Growing up there, being a Redskin was a great sense of pride and I can say that no one ever used the term as derogatory, none of our opponents accused us of being insensitive or haters of Native Americans, corn fed hillbillies sure, but not insensitive towards Native Americans.

Ok fine. Who gets to determine what's offensive, or racist or offends some ethnic or religious groups?
Anything referring to the color of people's skin or ethnicity is the starting point. Work that out for yourself and see if you can come into the post-civil rights era.
Its really not that hard to understand why some groups would be offended by the term redskins. If the name is totally acceptable, why are there no other teams with other color skin names (white skins, brown skins, yellow skins, purple skins, etc.). BECAUSE ITS OFFENSIVE!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT