ADVERTISEMENT

SHG/Morris Question

SHG is notoriously tough to beat at home. They played the best game of their season against Rochester and only lost by 10. Of course the Rockets had an awful night, but how much of that was self-harm and how much was caused by SHG was debatable.

Long story short...Morris needs a balanced defense. If they don't it could be a long night. SHG's QB Hanauer (sp?) is comfortable throwing and will do it all over the field. Pollard is a solid RB. He likes running up the middle, but can bounce it outside if necessary. If those two attacks are firing, SHG has a good shot. I still have Morris as a favorite, but penalties (if Morris is prone) and turnovers could doom them. SHG is great at causing turnovers and depending on the crew, penalties always seem to come out in their favor at home.

My prediction: Morris 42 - SHG 35

SHG was supposed to be “down”this year but is 7-3. Morris has run the table.
Does SHG have a realistic chance to win at home on Saturday?
They're a quality program playing at home in the playoffs, they absolutely have a realistic chance to win. Someone mentioned in another thread that since 2012 SHG has lost at home only 6 times.

These two have met twice before in the playoffs with each team winning at home.

Also, you mentioned Saturday, has the game time been set or are you just assuming? I would think it's a Saturday game as well but haven't seen anything.

This is the third time since playoff pairings were set that I have read a similar thought.
That is, a program with a tradition of excellence but having a down year is facing a powerhouse in the playoffs and people with knowledge of the program with a tradition of excellence have suggested that their team has a shot against the powerhouse.
1st time) St. Rita could give Mt. Carmel some trouble based I think on what happened in playoffs a year earlier.
2nd time) Lemont could give East St. Louis some trouble based on what happened in playoffs past couple of meetings.
3rd time) Springfield Sacred Heart of Mary could give Morris some trouble based on Springfield's history of playoff excellence and their near-total domination in home games.
St. Rita was not competitive vs. Mt. Carmel.
Lemont was not competitive vs. East St. Louis.
Springfield SHM vs. mighty Morris? We shall see if the result is different in this case.

Morris is the favorite. If SHG does get the upset, I would expect to see the following:
--Final score in the 20's.
--SHG no more than one turnover.
--Morris running attack contained to an extent.
--A big special teams play by SHG.

They're a quality program playing at home in the playoffs, they absolutely have a realistic chance to win. Someone mentioned in another thread that since 2012 SHG has lost at home only 6 times.

These two have met twice before in the playoffs with each team winning at home.

Also, you mentioned Saturday, has the game time been set or are you just assuming? I would think it's a Saturday game as well but haven't seen anything.
If memory serves correct both times these have met has been in Morris with each splitting a win. I don’t believe Morris has been to KLS

Reactions: 4Afan and net-se
Morris is the favorite. If SHG does get the upset, I would expect to see the following:
--Final score in the 20's.
--SHG no more than one turnover.
--Morris running attack contained to an extent.
--A big special teams play by SHG.
All valid points.

So far only Sycamore has held Morris under 35 points.

Morris is pretty balanced this year, so even if they shut down the running game they can throw if they want to.

Special teams is always key.

I think the biggest factor in this game will be the status of Morris star WR Zweers. He's missed the last game and a half with a concussion. He's a game changer.

If memory serves correct both times these have met has been in Morris with each splitting a win. I don’t believe Morris has been to KLS
i'm glad i read to the end because i wanted to post this, but you beat me to it. yes, both games were in morris.

we lost on grass; won on the turf.
Was either game on turf? When did Morris install the turf? Morris won in 2012, so that was obviously on grass and lost in 2019. I thought this year was only the 2nd season Morris had the turf.

Just for fun I looked ahead.
If Morris continues to win it could face a Catholic School gauntlet (if the Catholic schools continue to win).
SHG, then Joliet Catholic, then Providence and the Final Game of possibly facing Wheaton SF, or Naz, or CoM.
If they win out those "Jesus Loves Us For Free" and "Home Grown" signs will be in tatters but for the cause of a well earned championship.

Just for fun I looked ahead.
If Morris continues to win it could face a Catholic School gauntlet (if the Catholic schools continue to win).
SHG, then Joliet Catholic, then Providence and the Final Games possibly facing Wheaton SF, or Naz, or CoM.
If they win out those "Jesus Loves Us For Free" and "Home Grown" signs will be in tatters but for the cause of a well earned championship.
🤣🤣🤣 I definitely noticed this as well but didn't want to bring it up just yet. My sentiment was that IF Morris can get through all the stages of the cross then I wouldn't have to go to church for like a year!

Also, IF that were to happen, in addition to the state title would Morris be given an honorary CCL/ESCC title? They would have gone through a team from the green, orange, and white or purple.

Morris Hudl page has the game listed as Saturday at 2 any truth to this?? And also anyone know where I can get video highlights on SHG for free? The only 2 short ones on max preps and hudl are from Chatham and Jacksonville

This is the third time since playoff pairings were set that I have read a similar thought.
That is, a program with a tradition of excellence but having a down year is facing a powerhouse in the playoffs and people with knowledge of the program with a tradition of excellence have suggested that their team has a shot against the powerhouse.
1st time) St. Rita could give Mt. Carmel some trouble based I think on what happened in playoffs a year earlier.
2nd time) Lemont could give East St. Louis some trouble based on what happened in playoffs past couple of meetings.
3rd time) Springfield Sacred Heart of Mary could give Morris some trouble based on Springfield's history of playoff excellence and their near-total domination in home games.
Springfield SHM vs. mighty Morris? We shall see if the result is different in this case.
You skipped Naz v. PR

And no one on here said SR or Lemont would win those games. Chatter? Maybe a touch. Win? No.

So Saputo’s won't allow Morris people in?
A little high end and more politicians then the normal folk often around. Darcy's Pint and Dublin Pub for the best horsehoes in town which you can actually get all over Springfield.

But for the "Skin" fans coming THE place to be is the tailgate. Check out the overhead below. Shangri-La (site 1) is where the fun is at. Look left of the turf baseball field and notice the large tree lined area. This is where the action is. Now the last two home games this area has been closed due to muddy conditions. The new area moved to behind the dirt softball field at the corner of Amos and Washington. Lots of room at both, a larger version of say Goold Park, (without playground and swings lol)

Come early and bring your grills, flags, and pop up tents. Weather at the moment on gameday a high of 59. Winds of 10-20. Might be a bit windy for the tents if it is not at the "Griffin Woods" area. Those trees have saved my tents for years. Also having the largest bathroom in Springfield at site 1 comes in awful handy. Hoping that is the area they will use. Lets tailgate! Two entrances into the stadium. Shangri-La (S1) has a convenient entry point a mere few yards away. The other right off of the main parking lot next to the school. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
A little high end and more politicians then the normal folk often around. Darcy's Pint and Dublin Pub for the best horsehoes in town which you can actually get all over Springfield.

But for the "Skin" fans coming THE place to be is the tailgate. Check out the overhead below. Shangri-La (site 1) is where the fun is at. Look left of the turf baseball field and notice the large tree lined area. This is where the action is. Now the last two home games this area has been closed due to muddy conditions. The new area moved to behind the dirt softball field at the corner of Amos and Washington. Lots of room at both, a larger version of say Goold Park, (without playground and swings lol)

Come early and bring your grills, flags, and pop up tents. Weather at the moment on gameday a high of 59. Winds of 10-20. Might be a bit windy for the tents if it is not at the "Griffin Woods" area. Those trees have saved my tents for years. Also having the largest bathroom in Springfield at site 1 comes in awful handy. Hoping that is the area they will use. Lets tailgate! Two entrances into the stadium. Shangri-La (S1) has a convenient entry point a mere few yards away. The other right off of the main parking lot next to the school. Ratsy

And the bathroom area is a lot more private than the corn field in Waterloo!!!

And no one on here said SR or Lemont would win those games. Chatter? Maybe a touch. Win? No.
I believe the phrases written here were could give them trouble and have a shot.
No reference to winning outright
I certainly didn’t write that the posters were predicting upsets.

Rat that area is closed we will be back to the corner of Amos and Washington,

Was either game on turf? When did Morris install the turf? Morris won in 2012, so that was obviously on grass and lost in 2019. I thought this year was only the 2nd season Morris had the turf.
I believe the turf has been for 4 yrs. Spring 2019 was the first year I believe. It was either 18 or 19.

Reactions: net-se
SHG was supposed to be “down”this year but is 7-3. Morris has run the table.
Does SHG have a realistic chance to win at home on Saturday?
Anyone has a chance on any given night. I am reminded of Jacksonville coming to SHG abut 10 years ago and disposing of the Cyclones in the 1st round. Over confidence is deadly to playoff hopes. So if Morris comes in over confident, they will lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT