ADVERTISEMENT

Interested to see this weekend if….

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Crowds actually return to the IHSA basketball state title games in Champaign…..today was disappointing but then again it’s a Thursday and small schools so more than willing to see how Friday is. Its not like the locals have anything else going on after another early Illini exit

Have to think all the 4A teams will bring large crowds. Last year Barrington, WY and Glenbard West all had huge followings.

Reactions: USD24
I like the basketball tourney but never even thought about it until I saw this thread.

I dont watch any regular season HS BB games but I like the playoffs.

Reactions: EdgyTim
Weird things can keep attendance down. DePaul Prep sent out an email with the following information: Due to the St. Patrick's Day Celebrations in the City, we are having trouble securing fan buses for the game. There is no guarantee we will have fan buses.

Looks like a pretty good crowd for the Metamora/ESL game. Metamora travels well for everything.

Benet and New Trier brought a lot of peoplem The crowd coming in was supposedly so large they held the start if the game up..Benet is going to beat New Trier and will play for the 4A title tomorrow night. Hoping Doeners Grove North beats Moline next

Your comment is 100 percent accurate based on what the TV announcers said. I would argue that what they are paid to be is cheerleaders for the IHSA and not inclined to say a negative word on a telecast and what they say is a fact but not necessarily the whole truth. Two examples:
1) Yes, the start of the Class 4A semifinal between Benet and New Trier was delayed so that the fans could get into the gym. That is a fact. The rest of the story ... The two Class 3A semifinals that were played on Friday afternoon both were long games that saw basically all timeouts being used, a lot of fouls being committed, and just a lot of legit reasons to stop the action in both games.
In this tournament, after the two Class 3A semifinals were done, the entire gym had to be emptied, and the cleanup crew then picks up all the trash in the stands so that the fans coming in are entering a clean arena. That takes time. And since the Class 3A semis took so long to play, the Class 4A semifinal with Benet and New Trier HAD to start late and, yes, the fans weren't let into the arena until it was cleaned up, and so the IHSA held the start of the game up. until everyone got to their seat. That is very likely result of the early-afternoon games taking so long and not the result of an SRO crowd at the arena.
I mean, there are like 17,000 seats in the gym and there aren't 10,000 people in the stands, but the announcers can spin it any way they want.
2) Last weekend, during the girls state finals in Class 4A at Illinois State, the TV announcer made a point about the unbelievable excitement of the O'Fallon High students, as their team was playing (and eventually winning) the state title.
He said the students from O'Fallon were so energized for Saturday's finale that they arrived at the ISU arena an hour before the gym even opened for the the Class 3A championship game.
I wasn't there but I would say that what the announcer said is a fact, but again there is a rest of the story....
That part of the story is that school busses brought the O'Fallon students from the high school to the game at ISU, and wisely opted to arrive early rather than late. Good decision. The fact that the busses arrived at ISU before the arena opened after it was closed for cleanup after the 2A state game and awards presentation, resulted in O'Fallon students being in the parking lot long before game time.
The announcer chose the fact that the O'Fallon students were fired up and yelling an hour before the doors even opened as an indication of their high-energy level for the championship game. That said, they were at the arena early because the bus drivers got them to the arena early. If the busses had arrived two hours later, the O'Fallon kids could have been praised on TV for pouring into the arena en masse while the 3A title game was going on.
The TV announcers are never going to say that there are 852 people in the building for a Class 4A third-place game that starts at 8 p.m. and gets done with the trophy presentation at 10:30 for fans looking at a 3-plus hour drive home.
Nor should they. But when you're old like me, and getting older by the minute, sometimes listening to what the announcer is taken, not with a grain of salt, but with 50-percent belief.

Your comment is 100 percent accurate based on what the TV announcers said. I would argue that what they are paid to be is cheerleaders for the IHSA and not inclined to say a negative word on a telecast and what they say is a fact but not necessarily the whole truth. Two examples:
1) Yes, the start of the Class 4A semifinal between Benet and New Trier was delayed so that the fans could get into the gym. That is a fact. The rest of the story ... The two Class 3A semifinals that were played on Friday afternoon both were long games that saw basically all timeouts being used, a lot of fouls being committed, and just a lot of legit reasons to stop the action in both games.
In this tournament, after the two Class 3A semifinals were done, the entire gym had to be emptied, and the cleanup crew then picks up all the trash in the stands so that the fans coming in are entering a clean arena. That takes time. And since the Class 3A semis took so long to play, the Class 4A semifinal with Benet and New Trier HAD to start late and, yes, the fans weren't let into the arena until it was cleaned up, and so the IHSA held the start of the game up. until everyone got to their seat. That is very likely result of the early-afternoon games taking so long and not the result of an SRO crowd at the arena.
I mean, there are like 17,000 seats in the gym and there aren't 10,000 people in the stands, but the announcers can spin it any way they want.
2) Last weekend, during the girls state finals in Class 4A at Illinois State, the TV announcer made a point about the unbelievable excitement of the O'Fallon High students, as their team was playing (and eventually winning) the state title.
He said the students from O'Fallon were so energized for Saturday's finale that they arrived at the ISU arena an hour before the gym even opened for the the Class 3A championship game.
I wasn't there but I would say that what the announcer said is a fact, but again there is a rest of the story....
That part of the story is that school busses brought the O'Fallon students from the high school to the game at ISU, and wisely opted to arrive early rather than late. Good decision. The fact that the busses arrived at ISU before the arena opened after it was closed for cleanup after the 2A state game and awards presentation, resulted in O'Fallon students being in the parking lot long before game time.
The announcer chose the fact that the O'Fallon students were fired up and yelling an hour before the doors even opened as an indication of their high-energy level for the championship game. That said, they were at the arena early because the bus drivers got them to the arena early. If the busses had arrived two hours later, the O'Fallon kids could have been praised on TV for pouring into the arena en masse while the 3A title game was going on.
The TV announcers are never going to say that there are 852 people in the building for a Class 4A third-place game that starts at 8 p.m. and gets done with the trophy presentation at 10:30 for fans looking at a 3-plus hour drive home.
Nor should they. But when you're old like me, and getting older by the minute, sometimes listening to what the announcer is taken, not with a grain of salt, but with 50-percent belief.
As someone who has known Dave Bernhard for well over 30 years and someone I consider a tremendous friend and mentor....I can yell you with zero hesitation that no one tells him what and what not to say. Now whether he decides to discuss the subject or not I guess is up to him....the issue I have is that it's pretty obvious that the cameramen used must be from Guarantee Rate Field (I'm a White Sox fan I'm allowed to bash them) because you seldom if at all saw an arena wide shot all day on Friday. so making that determination myself was hard to do from the broadcast.

All..... This is what I heard happened on local radio from one in the press that attended. After the semi the Metamora crowd were slow in leaving after being told several times on the PA. Making the matter even worse attendants were not in place to route the huge crowd leaving to a different exit. So they were coming out the main entrance as fans were trying to get in . A traffic jam.

The 4A teams had already warmed up and nobody was around . They were told to go back to the locker rooms and take another 20 minutes. Not sure if they warmed up again. Fans were still coming in when that 4A game started as well. A mess. Ratsy

the issue I have is that it's pretty obvious that the cameramen used must be from Guarantee Rate Field (I'm a White Sox fan I'm allowed to bash them) because you seldom if at all saw an arena wide shot all day on Friday. so making that determination myself was hard to do from the broadcast.
Ha, compared to showing the packed inside of Murphy’s by the sixth inning?

It was a good crowd. The format was still terrible though. Alot of people didnt know they were buying tickets for specific "sessions". The sign at the ticket window i saw said you were purchasing tickets for "semi finals" which i believe alot of ppl assumed was both 3a and 4a semis.

Not a fan of the new format. DGN having to play the 3rd-place game just a couple hours after losing in the semifinals is just brutal. And for what? So the 1A and 4A finals can be played on the same day. Why?

They'd be better off just eliminating the consolation games... they've already decided not to televise them anyway.

Reactions: jha618
Not a fan of the new format. DGN having to play the 3rd-place game just a couple hours after losing in the semifinals is just brutal. And for what? So the 1A and 4A finals can be played on the same day. Why?

They'd be better off just eliminating the consolation games... they've already decided not to televise them anyway.
In a format not too long ago, all the teams had to play twice on Saturday. Both the third place and championship game were Saturday along with the semifinals after playing on Friday.

Reactions: jha618
In a format not too long ago, all the teams had to play twice on Saturday. Both the third place and championship game were Saturday along with the semifinals after playing on Friday.
This was the absolute worst. Glad they are done with this.

“Hey kids you don’t play double headers all year but let’s have you play the semifinals and championship in the same day.”

Let’s get rid of the consolation games in basketball and baseball. No one cares and neither team wants to play in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC63 and USD24
I am all for eliminating the consolation in all sports but I think they want to give teams two games to make it feel more worthwhile.

Reactions: EdgyTim
Yes, and I also remember the semifinals finished very early on Saturday which gave the teams proper rest before the night session.

When DGN lost in the semifinals the other day, the were the FOURTH game of the day, not the second, wrapping up very late... not an apples to apples comparison.

True but if they played the late game Friday followed by the second game Saturday then the 3rd place game then it would be 3 games in less than 24 hours.

The semi's, 3rd place games and championship games used to be played on the same day.

Yes, and I also remember the semifinals finished very early on Saturday which gave the teams proper rest before the night session.

When DGN lost in the semifinals the other day, the were the FOURTH game of the day, not the second, wrapping up very late... not an apples to apples comparison.

The team that beat them had the same schedule.

I am all for eliminating the consolation in all sports but I think they want to give teams two games to make it feel more worthwhile.
The consolation games may not mean a whole lot to some old dudes posting on an anonymous message board but I know a few of these girls and can say they were thrilled to be able to represent their town and add another trophy to the trophy case. 3rd place or not they were/are treated like rock stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwm57
The team that beat them had the same sched
New Trier had 4 hours to get ready for the consolation game, DGN had 2... not the same.

If you're going to give a team only two hours to recover from a devastating loss, just scrap the consolation game... That's my point.

New Trier had 4 hours to get ready for the consolation game, DGN had 2... not the same.

If you're going to give a team only two hours to recover from a devastating loss, just scrap the consolation game... That's my point.
Geneva lost to Benet 50-48 on two FTs with :02.4 left. They had a 90 minute turnaround yet still beat Hersey for 3rd place.

It can be done.

Geneva lost to Benet 50-48 on two FTs with :02.4 left. They had a 90 minute turnaround yet still beat Hersey for 3rd place.

It can be done.
There's lots of things that can be done but aren't necessarily a great idea.

You can play a football playoff game on Wednesday and another on Saturday. Doesn't mean it's a great idea.

We should all strive to be more like the Geneva girls, absolutely.

There's lots of things that can be done but aren't necessarily a great idea.

You can play a football playoff game on Wednesday and another on Saturday. Doesn't mean it's a great idea.

We should all strive to be more like the Geneva girls, absolutely.
My senior year at Geneva we won 35-3 on a Wednesday @I.C. and at home on the Saturday 28-3 vs. Harvard.

Again, it can be done.

Reactions: colin2229
The consolation games may not mean a whole lot to some old dudes posting on an anonymous message board but I know a few of these girls and can say they were thrilled to be able to represent their town and add another trophy to the trophy case. 3rd place or not they were/are treated like rock stars.

The 3rd place game is relic of the past and should be eliminated. The whole reason they even had it was because the teams had to stay an extra day during the two class system since 8 teams went down instead of 4. When it Quarter Finals Friday, Semifinals Saturday and Championship Saturday night it makes a lot more sense since there was time between games but basically playing a double header now is stupid.

You are really grasping at straws if you think 2 hours difference in rest was the reason they lost the third place game.
Just to be clear, I have no connection whatsoever to DGN. I don't care if they even have a basketball team next year... I'm just a former varsity basketball player who felt bad they had to do that because it's complete horsebleep... Grasping at straws? Sorry, but I didn't care who won. I had no connection to any school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT