ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick Em Week 2

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
After a glorious week 1, it is time for week 2. After a week of Gately dogs and limited bathroom availability at Lane, I'm ready to roll on!! My stomach is back to normal and ready for a weekend of CPL fun. Stocked up on the Tums and Pepto!!!

ASPIRA Business and Finance White Tigers vs. North Grand Eagle Owls, Thursday 4:00 at North Grand
There is nothing better than the Thursday 4:15 slot for CPL football...unless you say screw that, let's start at 4:00!! That is a risky play with the state of construction in Chicago, but yet a glorious one at the same time. Just about as glorious as an Eagle Owl? I have no idea what an Eagle Owl is or what it would look like, but it sounds like a badass bird! Give me the maroon, gold, and baby blue eagle owls of North Grand!

Richards Warriors vs. Dyett Eagles, Thursday 6:30 at Lane
Ok, I'm really confused what is going on here? What the hell is the Thursday 6:30 slot? Are the lights at Lane on a timer and set to go off at 10:00? Have the redcoats negotiated a different start time at Lane? This really screws up my ability to get from a 4:15 game somewhere else to this barnburner matchup. Can one of my colleagues take my place at this game? I'll Venmo you some money so you get some stale chips from the Lane concession stand. Hopefully the refs show up at the right time, hopefully the lights stay on, hopefully the goal posts are straight, and hopefully Dyett takes care of business!!!!

Sarah Goode Knights vs. CVS Cavaliers, Friday 4:15 at Eckersall
My first car was a silver Chevy Cavalier. So many good memories from that automobile. One actually involved a date with a girl named Sarah. Unfortunately, all I got that night was a Goode Knight kiss and I never heard from her again. Screw that night, it sucked, just like the Knights will in this game. Nothing stops the Chevy Cavaliers from speeding away with this win!

Harlan Falcons vs. Marshall Commandos, Thursday 4:15 at Eckersall
Another CPL classic. Harlan makes their regular season debut in week 2!!! Add that up with a Marshall squad that made their return to CPL football last week and you got a great opening slot at Eckersall. Don't know about you all, but I'll be heading to this one. Guarantee I'll be getting some good fried chicken before the game. I can tell you where I won't be going...KFC! No Harlan Sanders for me, give me the Commandos!!

Game of the Week: Noble DRW Trading Cheetahs vs. Farragut Admirals, Saturday 10:00 at Lane
The higher ups at CPL truly messed up with their scheduling this week. How is this matchup not a primetime matchup on Friday or Saturday? Neither program played football last year and neither team played last week! This is how the you treat teams that are just starting in CPL or are making their glorious return??? Just absolutely ridiculous and shameful. This game better be on WCIU or whatever channel CPL football is on these days! This is a true toss-up because who knows anything about either team? I'll take the Cheetahs as they try to execute trades during the game for the Farragut players that are giving them trouble. Still so upset though about the time and location.

Week 2 already!! Time flies when you get 3 days a week of CPL Football! Big losses. Shocking wins. All before noon on a Saturday! CPL!! CPL!! CPL!!! It's already noon. Gotta get to the picks so I can get to Grandma Annie's on North Ave for some Lemon Garlic Chicken before that 4pm Eagle Owl/White Tiger matchup!!

ASPIRA Business and Finance White Tigers vs. North Grand Eagle Owls, Thursday 4:00 at North Grand
I'm stoked to catch a game at North Grand. One of the few places I've yet to see a game. On one hand I love the CPL Games on these types of fields. Just there. No stands to speak of. No press box. No locker rooms.. No lights. No fans... (For the record, the best of the random fields is Mandrake Park where Phillips used to host night games. It is literally a field surrounded by a hill on all sides, that is surrounded by busy streets on all sides. It's wild) On the other hand, there are no bleachers, I have to bring my own chair, and there is no lulu lemon wearing m....er park patron watching to speak of (see Winnemac Park on Saturday morning.)

Eagle Owls!

Richards Warriors vs. Dyett Eagles, Thursday 6:30 at Lane
Richards is named after Ellen Swallow Richards who was the pioneering scientist behind Euthenics - improving human functioning by improving living conditions. Hilarious that this game is at lane where the bathrooms have not been functioning since the Eisenhower Admiration.
Eagles!

Sarah Goode Knights vs. CVS Cavaliers, Friday 4:15 at Eckersall
The only thing good about this matchup is that it is the early game at Eckersall, allowing me to hog the pool table early at the Celebrity Lounge after the game.
Cavs!

Harlan Falcons vs. Marshall Commandos, Thursday 4:15 at Eckersall
These buddies of mine from college formed a band called "Going Commando." They thought it was sooo funny. They envisioned their throngs of fans saying things like, "Hey man, we are going commando tonight!" Would you be shocked if I told you it didn't work out like they expected it to?
Commandos!

Game of the Week: Noble DRW Trading Cheetahs vs. Farragut Admirals, Saturday 10:00 at Lane
Cheetahs reminds me of a Gentlemen's Club that I might or might not have attended multiple times in Windsor Ontario, across the river from Detroit. Which, in turn, reminds me of this buddy I had who used to roll over to my house around 10am on a Saturday to try to convince me to get in the car and head to a likeminded gentlemen's establishment for "first oil." Good times.

Admirals!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT