ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 5

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
It could be a wet Friday on top of the showers that occurred Monday and Tuesday morning. Shouldn't have a huge impact on the turf fields but the grass ones could be slick and muddy.

West Division
Southeast (0-4) at Jacksonville (3-1)
The Crimsons should have success with their running attack and go to 4-1. The Spartans have some offensive firepower but have given up over 40 points each of the last three weeks. Jacksonville 45 Southeast 12. Massey prediction: Jacksonville 48 Southeast 14.

Lanphier (0-4) at SHG (2-2)
Should be a quick running clock for the Cyclones. Lanphier lost last week to Jacksonville 76-14, while SHG beat them 35-10 in Week 3. SHG 56 Lanphier 0. Massey prediction: SHG 49 Lanphier 6.

QND (3-1) at Springfield (4-0)
Can QND avoid a letdown in their first away game in '24 and after an impressive 37-7 message to the conference win over SHG last week? Springfield is the last unbeaten team in the CS8. They're definitely an improved team, but this will be their toughest test so far this season. QND's opponents through 4 weeks have 8 wins, while Springfield's only have 3. Should they lose, QND's remaining schedule is still favorable to them getting 6 or 7 wins. The Senators have challenging games each of the final 4 weeks, while a win Friday gets them to playoff eligibility. There is one common opponent. QND shutout Southeast 43-0, while Springfield beat them 51-24. QND 30 Springfield 21. Massey prediction: QND 28 Springfield 21.

East Division
Chatham (3-1) at MacArthur (2-2)
Last year, MacArthur upset Chatham 14-12 at Stephen Decatur's stadium. Both teams have beaten Eisenhower this season. Chatham won 56-14, while Mac won 55-12. Not expecting a Generals upset this year, even with them getting to play at home. Chatham 48 MacArthur 14. Massey prediction: Chatham 42 MacArthur 20.

Eisenhower (0-4) at Lincoln (2-2)
Eisenhower has been running clocked three weeks straight and has given up at least 55 points in each of those games. Lincoln went on the road last Friday and was shutout 52-0 by U High. The Railers should be able to get their running attack going for their 3rd win. Lincoln 38 Eisenhower 8. Massey prediction: Lincoln 45 Eisenhower 13.

U High (3-1) at Rochester (2-2)
U High is coming off an easy 52-0 win over Lincoln, while Rochester looks to recover from a 45-17 blowout by Chatham. Rochester also beat Lincoln 63-7 in Week 3. The teams did not play each other in '23. U High has a strong passing attack, and the Rockets struggled to contain Colton Knoedler and the Titans at all last week. Field conditions may support more of a running attack Friday. The Rockets blocking (both by the O-Line and Receivers) has been below average in both losses. This is a chance for Rochester to either show some improvement in this area or continue to have the same issues, including problems with snaps and handoffs. A hard week of practices will hopefully result in a more focused and motivated performance than last week. Rochester 37 U High 17. Massey prediction: Rochester 45 U High 14.

All.... Lousy weather might just be the ticket if the Rockets pass defense is suspect as some believe. QB Weiland for the Pioneers has already thrown for almost 1200 yards after four games at about a 65% completion rate. Less then 600 yards on the ground running. If the wind is howling and the rain pouring precip on a wet field (grass) dump passes for the most part will be the air game.

I would imagine both teams will try to pound the ball on the ground at the respective defenses. Stack the lines bring in the lb's closer and dare everone to throw. Rochester by the way has rushed for just over 600 on the ground in their four games. Ratsy

Can QND avoid a letdown in their first away game in '24 and after an impressive 37-7 message to the conference win over SHG last week? Springfield is the last unbeaten team in the CS8. They're definitely an improved team, but this will be their toughest test so far this season. QND's opponents through 4 weeks have 8 wins, while Springfield's only have 3. Should they lose, QND's remaining schedule is still favorable to them getting 6 or 7 wins. The Senators have challenging games each of the final 4 weeks, while a win Friday gets them to playoff eligibility. There is one common opponent. QND shutout Southeast 43-0, while Springfield beat them 51-24. QND 30 Springfield 21. Massey prediction: QND 28 Springfield 21.

U High is coming off an easy 52-0 win over Lincoln, while Rochester looks to recover from a 45-17 blowout by Chatham. Rochester also beat Lincoln 63-7 in Week 3. The teams did not play each other in '23. U High has a strong passing attack, and the Rockets struggled to contain Colton Knoedler and the Titans at all last week. Field conditions may support more of a running attack Friday. The Rockets blocking (both by the O-Line and Receivers) has been below average in both losses. This is a chance for Rochester to either show some improvement in this area or continue to have the same issues, including problems with snaps and handoffs. A hard week of practices will hopefully result in a more focused and motivated performance than last week. Rochester 37 U High 17. Massey prediction: Rochester 45 U High 14.
Going to learn a lot about the character of this Raider team on the road for first time Friday. I like QND's chances if the game turns into a ground and pound slugfest due to weather. Might counter some of the speed and athleticism I've seen from the SHS WR/DB... Will be interesting to see how disciplined SHS is. QND avoided critical mistakes last week against SHG, while SHG penalties really killed a few drives for the Cycs. QND is going to need to make some extra points too. I said last week to my father that QND's inability to convert points after is going to come back to bite them...

Put up or shut up time for the Rockets. I've got one of them "feelings" U-High has something to say Friday night. We shall see....

It could be a wet Friday on top of the showers that occurred Monday and Tuesday morning. Shouldn't have a huge impact on the turf fields but the grass ones could be slick and muddy.

West Division
Southeast (0-4) at Jacksonville (3-1)
The Crimsons should have success with their running attack and go to 4-1. The Spartans have some offensive firepower but have given up over 40 points each of the last three weeks. Jacksonville 45 Southeast 12. Massey prediction: Jacksonville 48 Southeast 14.

Lanphier (0-4) at SHG (2-2)
Should be a quick running clock for the Cyclones. Lanphier lost last week to Jacksonville 76-14, while SHG beat them 35-10 in Week 3. SHG 56 Lanphier 0. Massey prediction: SHG 49 Lanphier 6.

East Division
Chatham (3-1) at MacArthur (2-2)
Last year, MacArthur upset Chatham 14-12 at Stephen Decatur's stadium. Both teams have beaten Eisenhower this season. Chatham won 56-14, while Mac won 55-12. Not expecting a Generals upset this year, even with them getting to play at home. Chatham 48 MacArthur 14. Massey prediction: Chatham 42 MacArthur 20.

Eisenhower (0-4) at Lincoln (2-2)
Eisenhower has been running clocked three weeks straight and has given up at least 55 points in each of those games. Lincoln went on the road last Friday and was shutout 52-0 by U High. The Railers should be able to get their running attack going for their 3rd win. Lincoln 38 Eisenhower 8. Massey prediction: Lincoln 45 Eisenhower 13.

I enjoy your predictions and I agree with your post. I think its time to take the kid gloves off and call it like we see it. QND, barring a letdown, will have no trouble with SHS for a plethora of reasons. Yes, there is the angle of "if" SHS loses this game the playoffs hopes start of fall off so they will come out swinging but... 32-12 QND

I really feel for bad for any Sr losing their last season due to injury but the Rocket 3rd string QB is good enough to lead them past U-High.

As for the weather I hope it doesn't impact the games up there. Down here I just had my pool started two days ago so with the the dug and the rebar placed, along with the piping and all, Im hoping the next few days are light of rain lol.

Going to learn a lot about the character of this Raider team on the road for first time Friday. I like QND's chances if the game turns into a ground and pound slugfest due to weather. Might counter some of the speed and athleticism I've seen from the SHS WR/DB... Will be interesting to see how disciplined SHS is. QND avoided critical mistakes last week against SHG, while SHG penalties really killed a few drives for the Cycs. QND is going to need to make some extra points too. I said last week to my father that QND's inability to convert points after is going to come back to bite them...

Put up or shut up time for the Rockets. I've got one of them "feelings" U-High has something to say Friday night. We shall see....
I would put $$$ on QND -14. The Raiders have a coach that won't let the players live in last week. If the game were to be dry and calm I would push it to -21.5!!!

Reactions: rocketnation
I enjoy your predictions and I agree with your post. I think its time to take the kid gloves off and call it like we see it. QND, barring a letdown, will have no trouble with SHS for a plethora of reasons. Yes, there is the angle of "if" SHS loses this game the playoffs hopes start of fall off so they will come out swinging but... 32-12 QND

I really feel for bad for any Sr losing their last season due to injury but the Rocket 3rd string QB is good enough to lead them past U-High.

As for the weather I hope it doesn't impact the games up there. Down here I just had my pool started two days ago so with the the dug and the rebar placed, along with the piping and all, Im hoping the next few days are light of rain lol.
Weather forecast starting to look better for Friday, but the rain chance/amount may keep going back and forth like it did in Week 1.

Reactions: RoaminCatholic

Springfield is all giddy about their squad. But while they begin the season 4-0, it is more than likely they end 4-5. SHS has literally played absolute garbage in their first four games. Their first four opponents have a combined 3 wins. Meanwhile, QND has played a .500 schedule including only one team with a winning record, average opponent ranking #172. This week will be the test to see if the Raiders are worth anything. SHS never performs well under pressure. I see a 4th victory for the Dump Next to Hannibal.

Meanwhile, the Rockets have played 6A Simeon (3-1), 6.6667A Ritter (Division 5 of a 6 class system, #3 in Missouri, and 4-0), Lincoln (2-2), and 6A Chatham (3-1), average opponent ranking #103. Thats a 12-4 opponent's record as they begin the "easy" part of their schedule. U-High has also played a .500 schedule, average opponent ranking is #257. U-High seems to always keep it close. However since Derek's system has been in place, there have been 7 running clocks by Rochester. The two squads are NOT the same.

Springfield is all giddy about their squad. But while they begin the season 4-0, it is more than likely they end 4-5. SHS has literally played absolute garbage in their first four games. Their first four opponents have a combined 3 wins. Meanwhile, QND has played a .500 schedule including only one team with a winning record, average opponent ranking #172. This week will be the test to see if the Raiders are worth anything. SHS never performs well under pressure. I see a 4th victory for the Dump Next to Hannibal.

Meanwhile, the Rockets have played 6A Simeon (3-1), 6.6667A Ritter (Division 5 of a 6 class system, #3 in Missouri, and 4-0), Lincoln (2-2), and 6A Chatham (3-1), average opponent ranking #103. Thats a 12-4 opponent's record as they begin the "easy" part of their schedule. U-High has also played a .500 schedule, average opponent ranking is #257. U-High seems to always keep it close. However since Derek's system has been in place, there have been 7 running clocks by Rochester. The two squads are NOT the same.
Every team had the chance to schedule 2 games with decent teams yet only a few actually did that. I have to salute those that did!!! SHS is in deep shit and they know it... I knew QND would get at least 4 wins but they could go 8-1. SHG is just a shadow of itself. Rochester will right the boat. UHigh has a good group of Sr's but the cupboard may be bare next season. But when peeps think about the CS8 they think about Rochester.

If U-High can manage to show up and perform as best they can and win this game, not a single Pioneer will sleep until Sunday night. I imagine it’d be much, much more hype than we had last year after the upset win against MacArthur, which is still frequently talked about in U-High circles today.

South County News "Mr. Pick'em" Predictions
Jacksonville 56 Southeast 20
SHG 64 Lanphier 6
QND 31 Springfield 25
Chatham 41 MacArthur 21
Lincoln 40 Eisenhower 6
Rochester 33 U High 26

The Channel 1450 picks are in. This week they are unanimous in all of their choices. The 1450'ers have picked Jacksonville, SHG, QND, Chatham, Lincoln, and Rochester.

SJR Staff Predictions
Jacksonville 49 Southeast 13
SHG 59 Lanphier 7
QND 26 Springfield 21
Chatham 49 MacArthur 14
Lincoln 56 Eisenhower 6
Rochester 28 U High 21

South County News "Mr. Pick'em" Predictions
Jacksonville 56 Southeast 20
SHG 64 Lanphier 6
QND 31 Springfield 25
Chatham 41 MacArthur 21
Lincoln 40 Eisenhower 6
Rochester 33 U High 26

I like the consensus from these two, but three changes I would make:

Chatham and QND win more handily in their games and UHigh ekes out the win...not Rochester. Hope I'm wrong on the last one.

Can't wait to see!!

I like the consensus from these two, but three changes I would make:

Chatham and QND win more handily in their games and UHigh ekes out the win...not Rochester. Hope I'm wrong on the last one.

Can't wait to see!!
I think the first 2 series will tell the tale tomorrow. If the Rockets seem flat on defense and go three and out on offense, it could be another long night. I think the more likely scenario is they play with urgency and correct some, though not all, of last week's problem areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: FB1976
I think the first 2 series will tell the tale tomorrow. If the Rockets seem flat on defense and go three and out on offense, it could be another long night. I think the more likely scenario is they play with urgency and correct some, if not all, of last week's problem areas.
If I know DL I think we will see a different Rockets team. If the kids that started against Chatham are not starting against UHigh then they did not improve this week. You will have to tell us Rocketnation is there's a difference in starters!

If I know DL I think we will see a different Rockets team. If the kids that started against Chatham are not starting against UHigh then they did not improve this week. You will have to tell us Rocketnation is there's a difference in starters!
There was a M*A*S*H* unit worth of players on the sidelines by the end of last week's game. Not sure how many will be able to play tomorrow and the length of time the others will be out.

There was a M*A*S*H* unit worth of players on the sidelines by the end of last week's game. Not sure how many will be able to play tomorrow and the length of time the others will be out.
All.... When it rains it pours as they say. Sammy this morning on the radio "heard" that Eli is also out for the season? I have alway said injuries are part of the game but there are years when it can get pretty bad.

The worst I have ever seen for the Cycs was 2023. Two or three starters out from quarter one in the opening game and every game after through the end of the playoffs. And the faces changed weekly. Add on to many that returned who never were at 100% playing capability for the rest of the season. The football Gods are a fickle group at times.... Ratsy

All.... When it rains it pours as they say. Sammy this morning on the radio "heard" that Eli is also out for the season? I have alway said injuries are part of the game but there are years when it can get pretty bad.

The worst I have ever seen for the Cycs was 2023. Two or three starters out from quarter one in the opening game and every game after through the end of the playoffs. And the faces changed weekly. Add on to many that returned who never were at 100% playing capability for the rest of the season. The football Gods are a fickle group at times.... Ratsy
Good points.

Not sure about Eli but it wouldn't surprise me if that is correct based on seeing him on the sideline afterwards last week. The injury bug started quickly this year for Rochester with a starting WR breaking his wrist on the 1st series of the Simeon game.

Good points.

Not sure about Eli but it wouldn't surprise me if that is correct based on seeing him on the sideline afterwards last week. The injury bug started quickly this year for Rochester with a starting WR breaking his wrist on the 1st series of the Simeon game.
Just asking for discussion purposes... but at what point is the schedule early on partially to blame for the injuries? Let's be real, Rochester is trotting out 4A athletes. On film the Rockets seems smaller than usual, and they've had some smaller teams in years. Without much to compare it to, outside the one-off Loyola Covid Special, it would appear the Rockets physically can't withstand non-conf games with huge programs. Which leads to my next comment that is, DL scheduled this way for two reasons... test the boys, and if the L's followed it only gives them an even easier path to 4A state than usual. Just observations. I know a certain Villager will have an opinion on this and he is NOT named RocketNation...

I'll admit, this was my largest concern for QND coming into the year. 7A-4A... QND plays no one smaller. The injury bug due to clashing with much larger bodies all year was where I thought the Raiders would start coming off the rails. And this very well could still happen.

Looking like the rain will move along by kickoff in Springfield. Going to be a little windy with 20 mph wind up to 45 mph gusts at times. Wind Advisory in affect during the game it appears.

Speaking of injury... a quick update I received a few moments ago.

QND starting RB Ivan Hun (Sr. #8) officially OUT vs. Springfield tonight.

Oli Triplett (Jr. #21) will assume the starting role tonight against the Senators. Oli had over 125 yards on 28 carries against SHG last week including a 51 yard burst on a scoring drive in the 1st half. Likely a revolving door of backup tailbacks behind Triplett.

Just asking for discussion purposes... but at what point is the schedule early on partially to blame for the injuries? Let's be real, Rochester is trotting out 4A athletes. On film the Rockets seems smaller than usual, and they've had some smaller teams in years. Without much to compare it to, outside the one-off Loyola Covid Special, it would appear the Rockets physically can't withstand non-conf games with huge programs. Which leads to my next comment that is, DL scheduled this way for two reasons... test the boys, and if the L's followed it only gives them an even easier path to 4A state than usual. Just observations. I know a certain Villager will have an opinion on this and he is NOT named RocketNation...

I'll admit, this was my largest concern for QND coming into the year. 7A-4A... QND plays no one smaller. The injury bug due to clashing with much larger bodies all year was where I thought the Raiders would start coming off the rails. And this very well could still happen.
A few thoughts.

Derek said he had a very hard time getting Week 1-2 opponents for this year and had to take what was available late in the scheduling process.

The Indiana team that Rochester will play Week 1 the next two years is very close to the Rockets in enrollment.

QB1 Zulauf's injury was non-contact, the kind of thing that could happen to any player.

I thought Chatham physically beat the Rockets down much worse than Cardinal Ritter did, which is surprising due to Ritter's size and athleticism. Rochester plays Chatham every year and usually competes well and is as or more physical than the Titans. Chatham simply was superior in all aspects this year.

Last edited:
All.... That is a hard question. When SHG played Normal Community last year and CBC a few weeks ago overall strength I thought was even for a short period of time. And that was based on weight room work in the off season. What could not be stopped was a fresh line (and good) on both sides of the ball coming in the entire game for those two teams. Those schools were much much more deep and could sub at will without losing firepower. Did that cause more injuries then might have been in a different situation. Impossible to tell.

The privates with the multiplier as a rule play larger teams especially in the postseason. . Haven't really noticed more injuries other then that freak 2023 year mentioned. You have a point on the wear and tear on teams constantly playing larger schools but it's the Catholic way because of the Ihsa rules. Ratsy P.S. Rocketnation it was the same thing for SHG scheduling CBC for two years by the way. They tried as well very early and found no one willing.... except CBC.

A few thoughts.

Derek said he had a very hard time getting Week 1-2 opponents for this year and had to take what was available late in the scheduling process.

The Indiana team that Rochester will play Week 1 the next two years is very close to the Rocket's in enrollment.

QB1 Zulauf's injury was non-contact, the kind of thing that could happen to any player.

I thought Chatham physically beat the Rockets down much worse than Cardinal Ritter did, which is surprising due to Ritter's size and athleticism. Rochester plays Chatham every year and usually competes well and is as or more physical than the Titans. Chatham simply was superior in all aspects this year.
To the Chatham point I'd agree. But I feel you have to mention that Rochester opened up the year with 3 "Chatham" programs. Perhaps that's the toll... once a year is fine, consistently over a season maybe not so much.

All.... That is a hard question. When SHG played Normal Community last year and CBC a few weeks ago overall strength I thought was even for a short period of time. And that was based on weight room work in the off season. What could not be stopped was a fresh line (and good) on both sides of the ball coming in the entire game for those two teams. Those schools were much much more deep and could sub at will without losing firepower. Did that cause more injuries then might have been in a different situation. Impossible to tell.

The privates with the multiplier as a rule play larger teams especially in the postseason. . Haven't really noticed more injuries other then that freak 2023 year mentioned. You have a point on the wear and tear on teams constantly playing larger schools but it's the Catholic way because of the Ihsa rules. Ratsy P.S. Rocketnation it was the same thing for SHG scheduling CBC for two years by the way. They tried as well very early and found no one willing.... except CBC.
I was only bringing it up because Rochester has played in a 5A/6A conference for the past however long and never seen this kind of injury spree. All the sudden they schedule an 8A CPL, a MO Catholic power and by the time they get to Chatham they're already bruised and battered. Depth is a very key part that I failed to mention. QND also lacks the depth to sustain even half the injuries Rochester has to this point. lol

Outside of Althoff, QND, and some of the CCL, most privates aren't playing programs 3 and 4 times their size week in and week out. That was only reason for mentioning QND in the previous post of mine. QND at 378.50 is more than doubled in enrollment by their closest conference comp, Lincoln at 814.50. QND's average opponent enrollment this year is 1110.30.

Rochester listed at 882.00 versus an average opponent enrollment of 1118.43. Just interesting to see...

I'll be very interested in who QND goes and gets for non-conference in the next 4 years.

QHS deal is officially dead, according to 3 different media outlets. The 2025 game is off the table.
The Richmond-Burton deal is complete now as well to my understanding.

Rochester enrollment is 754 not 882. Simeon is a 5A program with enrollment of 1374.
Going off what the IHSA website shows. Simeon was listed at 2267.93 (multiplied)... Rochester was 754, had them confused with Jacksonville apparently, who's listed at 882.00

Zulauf was a non-contact injury...

I was only bringing it up because Rochester has played in a 5A/6A conference for the past however long and never seen this kind of injury spree. All the sudden they schedule an 8A CPL, a MO Catholic power and by the time they get to Chatham they're already bruised and battered. Depth is a very key part that I failed to mention. QND also lacks the depth to sustain even half the injuries Rochester has to this point. lol

Outside of Althoff, QND, and some of the CCL, most privates aren't playing programs 3 and 4 times their size week in and week out. That was only reason for mentioning QND in the previous post of mine. QND at 378.50 is more than doubled in enrollment by their closest conference comp, Lincoln at 814.50. QND's average opponent enrollment this year is 1110.30.

Rochester listed at 882.00 versus an average opponent enrollment of 1118.43. Just interesting to see...

I'll be very interested in who QND goes and gets for non-conference in the next 4 years.

QHS deal is officially dead, according to 3 different media outlets. The 2025 game is off the table.
The Richmond-Burton deal is complete now as well to my understanding.
Are there any relatively close Missouri schools that would be a good matchup for QND going forward?

Are there any relatively close Missouri schools that would be a good matchup for QND going forward?
Not necessarily any closer than our conf slate. There are some that are very good on occassion. QND in the past had scheduled Helias out of Jeff City, they're a good program. Hannibal is about a 5A/6A equivelant probably to IL. Otherwise all the powers in NEMO are 1A comps to IL. Monroe City, Palmyra, Clark County, Kirksville. Outside that it's into the STL metro area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT