ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 2

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
All Friday night games and only one CS8 vs Big 12 matchup this week. The CS8 leads the Big 12 2-1 after one week. A mix of interesting contests, probable blowouts, and one game that already has important playoff implications.

Peoria Richwoods (0-1) at Southeast (0-1)
A rough first week for both teams, Richwoods lost to Bloomington 41-0 while Southeast lost to MacArthur 50-0. Richwoods, who is in the Big 12, was 1-8 last year as was Southeast. For both teams, this is one of their best chances for a win this season. I think Southeast finds a way to get the home victory for new Coach Kinkade. Southeast 19 Richwoods 17

Eisenhower (0-1) at Lincoln (1-0)
Lincoln gets a 2nd straight game against an opponent who went 1-8 last season. Their initial game back in the conference was a success as they routed Lanphier 41-8. Eisenhower lost to Jacksonville 51-6. Lincoln should go to 2-0 with a competitive game on the schedule next week against Springfield. Lincoln 42 Eisenhower 7

Chatham (1-0) at Lanphier (0-1)
Chatham ran the ball well in their 14-12 victory over Danville, but it didn't translate into a lot of points. After scoring on big plays most of last season, the Titans probably attempted only 10 or so passes last week. They played both a Sophomore and a Junior at QB. The Sophomore got about 80% of the snaps. In the 1st game at the renovated Memorial Stadium, Lanphier had a rough start against Lincoln and was out of it early. Expect Chatham to open up the offense a bit this week and to win comfortably. Chatham 48 Lanphier 6

U High (1-0) at SHG (0-1)
For me, the surprise of Week 1 was the performance of U High. I expected them to take a step back early in the year due to losing 2-year starting QB Colin Cunningham. Instead, they controlled the 2nd half against Springfield on the road and won 35-18. They had success both running and passing against the Senators. The Pioneers did give up over 300 yards passing last week but also got three interceptions. SHG had a rough start on the road against 7A Normal Community. Trailing 20-7 in the 2nd quarter, there was a lengthy weather delay. The Cyclones gave up 2 pick 6's after the game resumed and lost 54-14. The rest of the conference will be watching this result closely to gauge how beatable SHG seems after dominating the conference in last year's regular season. I expect a much better performance from the Cyclones at home. Only 2 CS8 teams have ever won at Ken Leonard Stadium (Chatham and Springfield) SHG 43 U High 17

Springfield (0-1) at Rochester (1-0)
Springfield tries to rebound from last week's disappointing loss to U High, where they led 18-13 at halftime but was outscored 22-0 in the second. Their Sophomore QB did throw for over 300 yards to a variety of Receivers last week and 2 TD's. He also had 3 interceptions. The defense was unable to get off the field in the much of the second half. Rochester needs to forget about last week's impressive performance at Peoria and start quickly. Springfield has had issues in recent seasons being out of games early against the better conference teams. Rochester does not want this to be close at halftime. The Rockets will continue to use Junior's Bryan Zulauf and Eli Carlson at QB. In certain situations, they were on the field at the same time. They both had good performances against Peoria in their first major varsity experience. Rochester 48 Springfield 14

MacArthur (1-0) at Jacksonville (1-0)
The game of the week, with playoff implications for both teams. Jacksonville has won 2 years in a row and has the home field advantage. Their win in Week 9 two years ago got them in the playoffs. They easily beat Eisenhower 51-6 last week. The Crimsons have a shot at 5 wins even if they lose this game, but they would need to win against Peoria Notre Dame, Lincoln, and U High. For MacArthur, they are probably looking at 5 to 6 victories if they can win here. The Generals hammered Southeast last week 50-0. This should be a close game that may hinge on QB play. Not sure how much Mac's touted Freshman RB carried the ball last week, but he did have a 60-yard TD on his first varsity carry. I think Mac avoids a third straight loss in the series. Mac 28 Jacksonville 22

One Big 12 game I'll be monitoring is Peoria vs Danville. Danville competed well against Chatham but only dressed about 30 and tired late. I'm curious to see how Peoria responds after last week's disappointment against Rochester.

Last edited:
Good job as always.

This week's games will give a better idea on how the league will sort out in the middle of the standings.

Reactions: rocketnation
what board are you talking about ratsy or rocket? better not be related to my current team.
Rocket Fball facebook page, fallout from last week's game w/Peoria and where Rochester is ranked on Maxpreps. Lots of "Our team would destroy you" type comments, then whoever runs it for Rochester firing back.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaros and net-se
The Week 2 picks of the three Channel 1450 analysts are in. They have chosen Southeast (3-0), Lincoln (3-0), Chatham (3-0), SHG (3-0), Rochester (3-0), and MacArthur (3-0).

Reactions: net-se
The Week 2 picks of the three Channel 1450 analysts are in. They have chosen Southeast (3-0), Lincoln (3-0), Chatham (3-0), SHG (3-0), Rochester (3-0), and MacArthur (3-0).
Kind of surprised (but only a little) that J'ville did not pick up at least one point, i.e., MacArthur (2-1), given the fact that it is a Crimson home game. Do the analysts think the MacArthur standout freshman will make the difference?

Kind of surprised (but only a little) that J'ville did not pick up at least one point, i.e., MacArthur (2-1), given the fact that it is a Crimson home game. Do the analysts think the MacArthur standout freshman will make the difference?
The Crimson's loss of 3-year starting QB Elijah Owens seemed to be a main factor in their choice. I am looking forward to seeing the Mac RB in Week 3, though maybe not for the next 4 years against the Rockets. It seemed like Springfield QB Rashad Rochelle was around for at least six years.

Reactions: net-se
SJR Staff Predictions
Southeast 21 Peoria Richwoods 20
Lincoln 48 Eisenhower 6
Chatham 56 Lanphier 8
SHG 45 U High 13
Rochester 56 Springfield 13
Jacksonville 35 MacArthur 28

From what I've read over on the Rocket fan page, the Rochester faithful were surprised and pleased they went into Peoria on the opening night of the new Peoria turf and held a potent offense in check. And it seems it disturbed some from the Northern bracket area who are following/trolling the Rockets for what could be an interesting matchup if Rochester and IC Catholic do what is expected and meet in the Final. We've seen this before, especially prior to facing St. Rita in the 2019 final when the CCL faithful were loud, boisterous, and egotistical until half time and after the Mustangs Kaleb Brown (Iowa from Ohio State) was neutralized to less than a yard per carry.

All.... "Input" from both sides. ☺️

On a different note Shangri-La will be up and running this afternoon. See everyone in the corner! 🍔🥜🥨🧁 Ratsy

From what I've read over on the Rocket fan page, the Rochester faithful were surprised and pleased they went into Peoria on the opening night of the new Peoria turf and held a potent offense in check. And it seems it disturbed some from the Northern bracket area who are following/trolling the Rockets for what could be an interesting matchup if Rochester and IC Catholic do what is expected and meet in the Final. We've seen this before, especially prior to facing St. Rita in the 2019 final when the CCL faithful were loud, boisterous, and egotistical until half time and after the Mustangs Kaleb Brown (Iowa from Ohio State) was neutralized to less than a yard per carry.
What are the Northern bracket fans saying over there? If they're saying anything other than "whoever plays Rochester is in deep do-do", their comments are probably not worth much!! It's true what they say regarding insanity: it's doing the same thing over and over (picking against the Rockets), and expecting a different result (a victory against them)!

Finals
Chatham 77 Lanphier 0. The Lions have been outscored 118-8 after two games.

Lincoln 46 Eisenhower 6. Lincoln has a chance to go to 3-0 against Springfield next week. If they can win against the Senators, they have a very good opportunity to start out 5-0 and qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 1984.

Rochester 58 Springfield 0. Nolan Mrozowski got an interception on the game's 1st play and also ran for three TD's. The Rockets were again impressive on defense, not letting down after the inspired effort against Peoria last week. Springfield threw for over 300 yards in Week 1 but had no luck moving the ball tonight.

Jacksonville 35 MacArthur 34. The game of the night. Jacksonville led 14-0 early, and then Mac led 28-14 at half. A huge come from behind win for the Crimsons who retook the lead in the last minute of the game. The refs had to huddle after the winning TD to determine if there was a fumble before Jacksonville crossed the goal line. The 3rd straight win for Jacksonville over Mac. They now face SHG in Week 3. This win puts the Crimsons on a much better path towards getting 5 wins. A very tough loss for Mac, but they still have a good chance at 5 wins as well. Their Freshman RB has almost 400 yards and 4 TD's after two games. He had two long TD runs last night.

SHG 35 U High 17. U High led early 3-0. SHG led 15-9 at half and opened it up a bit more in the 2nd half. Big game next week for SHG at Jacksonville. U High falls to 1-1 but has a great chance to go to 2-1 next week against Southeast.

Peoria Richwoods 24 Southeast 12. A tough loss for the Spartans at home in a winnable game to a team that was 1-8 last year. Southeast's next chance for a win may not be until Week 8 against Lanphier.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIMRY90
All.... Oy. Um... Oy. I had heard this was coming . The pipeline was not good. And then a new OC with a "storied" past. The rodent just listens.

Teams get better from week to week two, Blah blah everyone says that. I didn't ses that tonight.

God save the Queen! And onto Crimson Land. Ratsy (LFF2023)

What are the Northern bracket fans saying over there? If they're saying anything other than "whoever plays Rochester is in deep do-do", their comments are probably not worth much!! It's true what they say regarding insanity: it's doing the same thing over and over (picking against the Rockets), and expecting a different result (a victory against them)!
Just typical northern bracket nonsense about how the CCL is so much better and why don’t they play East St. Louis and IC Catholic is going to destroy them. Stuff like that.

The comical part about this is in 2019, I watched a bunch of Rochester fans catch a half or so of the ESL vs Glenwood semifinal in East St. Louis before they headed over to their semifinal vs Mascoutah. They were all dressed in their orange and blue (just like ESL). One dude had on a curly orange wig and they were having a blast while in “pre-game” mode. Rochester went on to thump St. Rita in the final. And ESL went on to thump Prairie Ridge. I think those two were the best teams in the Finals that season.

All.... Oh yes I forgot. Malleus! I'm waiting for your game "analysis." Ratsy

All.... Oh yes I forgot. Malleus! I'm waiting for your game "analysis." Ratsy
OK, here it is in an egg shell: Given the disparity in the Cyclones' week 1 and week 2 opponents, it is difficult to tell IF and BY HOW MUCH the team has improved. A truer barometer would have had them playing the Ironmen again this week. One thing is obvious with this team, however. There is no way at this point to consider them anything but mid-level among Class 5A teams. Overall TEAM talent is not and will not get them to any more than a second round game in the postseason. The skill players have some speed, but the lack of starting lineup varsity experience shows, and it just appears that there is a lack of coach-player synchronization at times. Even if most of those issues can be worked out, I believe the overall athleticism of this team is just not enough for them to be considered a threat to anyone in the upper tier of 5A teams.. With the win tonight they should be able to get to 5 wins, however. Anything more would definitely be gravy. Next week's game at J'ville will be yet another opportunity to gauge their realistic regular season win total prospects.

Reactions: cigaros
OK, here it is in an egg shell: Given the disparity in the Cyclones' week 1 and week 2 opponents, it is difficult to tell IF and BY HOW MUCH the team has improved. A truer barometer would have had them playing the Ironmen again this week. One thing is obvious with this team, however. There is no way at this point to consider them anything but mid-level among Class 5A teams. Overall TEAM talent is not and will not get them to any more than a second round game in the postseason. The skill players have some speed, but the lack of starting lineup varsity experience shows, and it just appears that there is a lack of coach-player synchronization at times. Even if most of those issues can be worked out, I believe the overall athleticism of this team is just not enough for them to be considered a threat to anyone in the upper tier of 5A teams.. With the win tonight they should be able to get to 5 wins, however. Anything more would definitely be gravy. Next week's game at J'ville will be yet another opportunity to gauge their realistic regular season win total prospects.
All.... As I mentioned last night and a couple of times on this board the importance of the Jacksonville game for SHG can't be overlooked. This match in my opinion is key for the whole season.

At 2-0 the Crimsons will be out looking for blood. KR field will be rocking with a huge crowd. Should be a fun one! Ratsy

All.... As I mentioned last night and a couple of times on this board the importance of the Jacksonville game for SHG can't be overlooked. This match in my opinion is key for the whole season.

At 2-0 the Crimsons will be out looking for blood. KR field will be rocking with a huge crowd. Should be a fun one! Ratsy
Definitely a game with a lot on the line for both teams. Looking over the remaining schedules for SHG and J'ville, a win for either team would put it in a much more favorable position in terms of postseason eligibility. Especially interested in seeing how the Cyclones play against the Crimsons, given the fact that they still have to play the MacArthur Generals (whom J'ville defeated last night by one point).

anyone have a livestream link for the Glenbard West vs Desmet game?

Week 3 Matchups and a Few Observations
Eisenhower (0-2) at Chatham (2-0)
Rochester (2-0) at MacArthur (1-1) to be played at the former Stephen Decatur HS
SHG (1-1) at Jacksonville (2-0)
Lincoln (2-0) at Springfield (0-2)
Southeast (0-2) at U High (1-1)
Lanphier (0-2) at Champaign Central (0-2) (CS8 vs Big 12 matchup)

After Southeast's loss to Richwoods, the CS8 vs Big 12 series is tied 2-2.

SHG vs Jacksonville is the game of the week. Can SHG stop the running of Mitchell and Moore and force the Crimsons into passing situations? Can Jacksonville avoid falling behind early and put pressure on QB Hanauer/defend the pass?

After facing 2 passing attacks, Rochester's defense will be tested by the running of Mac's QB and their freshman RB who both had big games against Jacksonville. Not sure why Mac's home games are being played off site.

Lincoln could start the season at 5-0 if they defeat the Senators. After two weeks, the Railers have to be considered the favorites. A critical game for the Senators if they want to stay playoff eligible.

My weekly county paper did not come until yesterday but a tip of the cap to "Mr Pick'Em" who called all 6 CS8 Week 2 games correctly.

Reactions: cigaros
Rochester (2-0) at MacArthur (1-1) to be played at the former Stephen Decatur HS

SHG vs Jacksonville is the game of the week. Can SHG stop the running of Mitchell and Moore and force the Crimsons into passing situations? Can Jacksonville avoid falling behind early and put pressure on QB Hanauer/defend the pass?

After facing 2 passing attacks, Rochester's defense will be tested by the running of Mac's QB and their freshman RB who both had big games against Jacksonville. Not sure why Mac's home games are being played off site.

Lincoln could start the season at 5-0 if they defeat the Senators. After two weeks, the Railers have to be considered the favorites. A critical game for the Senators if they want to stay playoff eligible.

My weekly county paper did not come until yesterday but a tip of the cap to "Mr Pick'Em" who called all 6 CS8 Week 2 games correctly

All.... Construction close and around MacArthur's stadium has been going on for quite some time and has fallen behind. Not sure if they are doing any type of upgrades to their stadium.

Until all of that is over I believe the games are played at the old Stephen Decatur High School which is now the middle school. Parking is ok, seating "so so" for the visiting team. Ratsy

All.... Construction close and around MacArthur's stadium has been going on for quite some time and has fallen behind. Not sure if they are doing any type of upgrades to their stadium.

Until all of that is over I believe the games are played at the old Stephen Decatur High School which is now the middle school. Parking is ok, seating "so so" for the visiting team. Ratsy
and the bad memory of a Rocket loss there to Mac in 2014.

and the bad memory of a Rocket loss there to Mac in 2014.
All....No deja vu this time around. The DE's will turn everything inside to the middle and the kid will be lucky to get 50 yards rushing. Then the Generals will have to go to the air.

Mac will not be in a good mood though. I still can't tell if that late td by Jacksonville was well..... a td. Ratsy

All....No deja vu this time around. The DE's will turn everything inside to the middle and the kid will be lucky to get 50 yards rushing. Then the Generals will have to go to the air.

Mac will not be in a good mood though. I still can't tell if that late td by Jacksonville was well..... a td. Ratsy

If I remember correctly, the 2021 Week 9 game had a controversial ending as well...late Mac TD called back on a penalty?

If I remember correctly, the 2021 Week 9 game had a controversial ending as well...late Mac TD called back on a penalty?
All.... That had to sting as well. Ratsy

My weekly county paper did not come until yesterday but a tip of the cap to "Mr Pick'Em" who called all 6 CS8 Week 2 games correctly.
I look forward to your Matchups and Observations post every week. Well done.

I noticed that about Lincoln after looking at their schedule. This Springfield game is also important for them reaching 5 wins, since their last four games are against much better teams than the first five.

With Robbie Kelly injured, Rochester had to go with sophomore Zeigler and freshman Grant at quarterback.

Stephen Decatur field does have the advantage of running north and south vs. Mac field being east to west.

With Robbie Kelly injured, Rochester had to go with sophomore Zeigler and freshman Grant at quarterback.

Stephen Decatur field does have the advantage of running north and south vs. Mac field being east to west.
I knew it was going to be a long night when I showed up at MacArthur HS about 20 minutes before kickoff, van filled with my son and his JFL buddies, and there was absolutely no one there. Asked for directions (which I hate to do) from a Decatur policeman, then still failed to find Stephen Decatur. Asked for directions a 2nd time at a gas station and found that I was only a couple of blocks away. Finally got there only to see the Mac QB run all over the Rocket defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT