ADVERTISEMENT

Could this be the year....the IHSA implodes?

Let me tell you a story. When I graduated from LA the grading scales was as follow 70-78, 78-84 C, 85-92 B, 93-100 A. We did not get letter grades, we got the numeric grade. My graduating class had 9 students with an "A" average out of just over 400 boys. We had C students going to Notre Dame, B Students going to Ivy and NESCAC schools, U of C, USC, Georgetown, U of California, Rice etc.
So basically, if you're connected and have some cheese you can go to any college?

Btw, I know I'm some dreg of society since I and my kids go or went to public schools but I can't stand that students get retakes..

Now back to your scheduled programming: How to sound like an Entitled Private School Parent
[/QUOTE]
Sorry - forgot the big part. Now they graduate 150 or more people with an "A" average. Why - grade inflation.?

I am saying that 35-40 years ago a C average at LA was seen as representing a smart kid who could handle the rigors of a ND and B students could handle the rigors of the Ivy League schools. Nothing about "cheese". My siblings got into those schools cheeseless.

People made fun of John Kerry and GW Bush for graduating from Yale with C averages. In th e'60s a C at Yale was an indication that you are of AVERAGE ABILITY AT YALE. Not average at North South Faber A&T.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
I don't know how true this is, but I one time read that the cell phone in my pocket has more computing power than the space shuttle that landed on the moon. In any event, it's almost like things evolve over time. For instance, how we graded in 1991 isn't the way we should grade in 2021. Food for thought.

While chewing on that, I'll offer another chicken nugget: I've found that the generation that complains the most about how things aren't the way they used to be is the same generation that made the changes in the first place.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Sorry - forgot the big part. Now they graduate 150 or more people with an "A" average. Why - grade inflation.?

I am saying that 35-40 years ago a C average at LA was seen as representing a smart kid who could handle the rigors of a ND and B students could handle the rigors of the Ivy League schools. Nothing about "cheese". My siblings got into those schools cheeseless.

People made fun of John Kerry and GW Bush for graduating from Yale with C averages. In th e'60s a C at Yale was an indication that you are of AVERAGE ABILITY AT YALE. Not average at North South Faber A&T.
[/QUOTE]

I have a really hard time believing this. I graduated high school 35 years ago and do not know anyone who had a C average who got into Notre Dame on merit alone. I know Loyola is a good school, but it is not that good.

Last edited:
Well again I'd argue that making students retake tests to hit a specific level is an example of high standards, and that it is you and other parents who are lowering their standards.

But I also believe in aliens, so there ya go.
All.... Me as well! (on your second part lol ) Art Bell rocks and is dead but I get a visit from him now and then. A reward for listening to him for decades very early in the morning. Ratsy

stretching and running gassers.

My favorite workout.

students should be proficient in certain math skills

Without exception.

get lucky with a gifted class

Like Iggy.

you need an 18 ACT to get a scholarship...

18 for a scholarship? That's well below the average of 24.

I do feel the society is getting dumber..

Welcome to social media.

Last edited:
All.... Me as well! (on your second part lol ) Art Bell rocks and is dead but I get a visit from him now and then. A reward for listening to him for decades very early in the morning. Ratsy
I'm sure you can find clips of Art on youtube.

=====
Faber...I see what you did there....Knowledge is Good.

So if a kid does not pas the first of 4 math tests in quarter, you are saying the kid should get as many chances to retake it as possible. Math is a discipline that builds upon itself. What if it takes him two months to pass? Now how does he catch up? What if he gets a D-? Is that competence. We already have too much grade inflation

Let me tell you a story. When I graduated from LA the grading scales was as follow 70-78, 78-84 C, 85-92 B, 93-100 A. We did not get letter grades, we got the numeric grade. My graduating class had 9 students with an "A" average out of just over 400 boys. We had C students going to Notre Dame, B Students going to Ivy and NESCAC schools, U of C, USC, Georgetown, U of California, Rice etc.

My local has public HS has 2/3 of the students on some kind of Honor Roll. Embarrassing

You do not help someone easing up on grading. Get them help yes, but do not put them is a position of continuing to fail.
Speaking of grade inflation, Loyola revamped its grading system last year from numeric to letter because the graduates were not able to enroll in the upper tier schools. This was seismic. They were having difficulty being accepted in Big 10 schools, let alone the Ivy’s. Lots of Dayton’s, Holy Cross, Marquette enrollments. All fine schools in their own right but not top 50 in the rankings. Let’s not be naive- all schools do whatever is necessary to help their reputations.

Has to be more than 33. 23 in the CCL/ESCC alone. A good number in the metro brings you close to 30. SHG, Boylan, various Notre Dames, Ottawa Marquette, peru St bede, althoff, Newman, etc. then add in all the Christian schools and the number has to be closer to 50 than 33.

Yeah as far as I can tell I counted 42 still playing football but I could be off a team or two (Hey...I'm bored at work)

Speaking of grade inflation, Loyola revamped its grading system last year from numeric to letter because the graduates were not able to enroll in the upper tier schools. This was seismic. They were having difficulty being accepted in Big 10 schools, let alone the Ivy’s. Lots of Dayton’s, Holy Cross, Marquette enrollments. All fine schools in their own right but not top 50 in the rankings. Let’s not be naive- all schools do whatever is necessary to help their reputations.
Yup. Plus once you get your first job nobody cares about your grades.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
nobody cares about your grades.
No, but they do care about your degree and the school you got it from. These two factors create a hierarchy in the workplace, especially in the STEM fields. PhDs look down on Masters and Masters look down on Bachelors. And people are just as snobby about the college they attended. If someone went to MIT, he or she will almost always bring it up in conversation. I used to work in tech, and I can't tell you how many times I heard someone say "When I was at MIT..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Yup. Plus once you get your first job nobody cares about your grades.
Oddly enough, there are a good number of job applications that now ask for your college GPA...

You know, because one's GPA when they were 18-22 is apparently just as important as the decade(s) of job experience...Ok off my soapbox lol

• Haha
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
You're not factoring in the ACT/SAT. A (B) student with a 31 ACT is different than a (B) student at am 17 ACT.

BTW, you hear they are lobbying for the NCAA to get rid of test scores as part of being eligible for scholarship? Currently you need an 18 ACT to get a scholarship...
My kids schools looked at GPA as big factor for athletics.. Anyone can take someone's test:)

Colleges are desperate I guess, shit, if you can get into Notra Dom with a C or a 18 ACT that's seems a little embarrassing don't you think.. Except for the Spaulding's of the world..

I do feel the society is getting dumber..
[/QUOTE]
No one said you can get into Notre Dame with an 18 ACT - meaning barely breathing

Reactions: Blue Ruin
The single greatest factor for future success is to come from a stable, two-parent family.

That, and having Coach Stelnicki for gym class.
BINGO!!! And I couldn't agree more. While you will see exceptions to that rule, for the most part when a child is born into a single parent family, that child is already behind the 8 ball. Some single parents do a real good job. I've seen it. But, the economic impact is usually huge in a single parent family. It's definitely a tougher road for a single parent kid. However, kids in a bad marriage family can be as much at risk too.

No question and overwhelming evidence shows a stable two parent family is the best case scenario.

BINGO!!! And I couldn't agree more. While you will see exceptions to that rule, for the most part when a child is born into a single parent family, that child is already behind the 8 ball. Some single parents do a real good job. I've seen it. But, the economic impact is usually huge in a single parent family. It's definitely a tougher road for a single parent kid. However, kids in a bad marriage family can be as much at risk too.

No question and overwhelming evidence shows a stable two parent family is the best case scenario.
For a hot second, I thought you knew Coach Stelnicki.

Reactions: ignazio
We all know the games are played on the field but looking at them played on paper we could very easily see 7 classes won by private schools!
8A: Loyola (Semi: Marist v Loyola)
7A: Brother Rice (Semi: St Rita v Brother Rice)
6A: ESTL (MIght as well be a private) (Cary-Grove v ESTL)
5A: NAZ (Morris v Naz)...could also see Fenwick
4A: JCA (Rochester v JCA)
3A: IC (IC v Williamsville)
2A: Bishop Mac (BM v St Theresa)
1A: Aurora Christian (AC v ???)
1a - Lena
2a - Wilmington
3a - Byron
4a - JCA
5a - Fenwick
6a - Cary Grove
7a - Wheaton North
8a - Lockport

No imploding this year : )
While I felt this year was going to be abnormally private dominate, didn't turn out that way.

1a - Lena
2a - Wilmington
3a - Byron
4a - JCA
5a - Fenwick
6a - Cary Grove
7a - Wheaton North
8a - Lockport

No imploding this year : )
While I felt this year was going to be abnormally private dominate, didn't turn out that way.
Just abnormally North. I call for East/West next year. Give other teams a chance! 😂 😂

Just abnormally North. I call for East/West next year. Give other teams a chance! 😂 😂
Haha that’s funny.

Really, the only school that probably got the shaft this year is Rochester. The two programs ahead of them should have been in 5A.

But, Leonard would prefer SHG & JCA in Rochester’s class for the playoffs. What makes them great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT