ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly to LSU

Watching ND play under Kelly was rarely enjoyable.

How many "signature wins" did Kelly claim while at ND? Did Kelly ever lead a ND team to a meaningful victory over a number-one-ranked team? For those who claim the 2020 OT victory over Clemson, do so at your own risk: Clemson was, well, visibly undermanned. Kelly's bowl record is unimpressive and while he served as the HC, ND got blown out in a dozen games.

Of all the seasons under Kelly, two stand out. In 2014, ND had a fantastic team, which lost to FSU in mid-season. ND folded the tent after and lost four in a row, including one to a 5-7 NU. In 2016, again a team with extraordinary talent, ND went 4-8. What was particularly unsettling about 2016 was the team never improved over the course of the season.

For ND to return to the pinnacle of the collegiate ranks, they must chart a path which includes hiring the right man and breaking the relationship with the ACC.

Kelly may be the winningest coach in ND history, but his teams were consistently undercoached, and the teams routinely underperformed against a soft schedule.
The only teams that have outperformed ND in the last 5 years are Bama, Clemson and OSU. They are currently at the pinnacle of the college ranks.

Watching ND play under Kelly was rarely enjoyable.

How many "signature wins" did Kelly claim while at ND? Did Kelly ever lead a ND team to a meaningful victory over a number-one-ranked team? For those who claim the 2020 OT victory over Clemson, do so at your own risk: Clemson was, well, visibly undermanned. Kelly's bowl record is unimpressive and while he served as the HC, ND got blown out in a dozen games.

Of all the seasons under Kelly, two stand out. In 2014, ND had a fantastic team, which lost to FSU in mid-season. ND folded the tent after and lost four in a row, including one to a 5-7 NU. In 2016, again a team with extraordinary talent, ND went 4-8. What was particularly unsettling about 2016 was the team never improved over the course of the season.

For ND to return to the pinnacle of the collegiate ranks, they must chart a path which includes hiring the right man and breaking the relationship with the ACC.

Kelly may be the winningest coach in ND history, but his teams were consistently undercoached, and the teams routinely underperformed against a soft schedule.
I’ll agree w this. Never had a signature win that I can think of.

Absolutely. If it were most other schools I can see them excusing his past actions, but I can’t see a place like ND taking on the moral baggage he comes with. It was brought up on ESPN to the College commentators this morning and they all gave him a hard no based his past actions. And despite my Irish handle and background, I’m not a Domer, but I’ve followed it enough to know they don’t want to side show that comes attached with him. I think Fickell is a slam dunk.
McCaravan:

I am not sure how often you have visited the campus in your life, but ND has tolerated some abhorrent behavior among faculty and students alike. Only recently, ND mishandled several incidents on campus, both of which I believe ND was blameworthy.

I am not rebuking you here. However, I am a season ticket holder and have rarely missed a game since getting my seats in 1980. It is often demoralizing to see the changes in attitude and landscape at ND, most of which revolve around moral attitudes.

On my most recent visit last week for the ND-GT game, as the group my wife and I were with, which included a college roommate and his wife, we found ourselves utterly appalled with the politicization of the campus. All to the left, I saw flags, placards, and graffiti in chalk with political statements (I won't get specific as to avoid getting my knuckles rapped by edgy), all of which wholly conflict with Catholic values.

Though I would prefer ND not court Meyer, I cannot rule out ND considering him despite the discredit he brought upon himself because knowing ND as I do, our group concluded ND has transformed into a center of moral contamination.

The only teams that have outperformed ND in the last 5 years are Bama, Clemson and OSU. They are currently at the pinnacle of the college ranks.
I think the argument here is under the current administration and guidelines, they are as far as they can go. Also, rankings are deceptive when you are talking about a somewhat soft schedule.

USD:

And each of those teams have absolutely dominated ND.

I think the argument here is under the current administration and guidelines, they are as far as they can go. Also, rankings are deceptive when you are talking about a somewhat soft schedule.
The schedule is only soft because certain programs that were scheduled years ago are underperforming. Their current strength of schedule is better than Michigan, Oklahoma, Georgia and only 8 spots worse than Bama. Furthermore, the perceived soft schedule hasn't prevented them from making the playoffs twice in the last five years. That's elite company. I understand their current guidelines, but even with those restrictions, I would say they have reached a level that only a select few have.

college strength of schedule

Reactions: Alexander32
I don't disagree with you about breaking the relationship with the ACC. In a case like that, where would you like to see them land?

I think it's pretty clear who will be the next HC at ND.

Players/Recruits are all over Twitter saying they want DC Marcus Freeman. How can the admin not go with him??

Reactions: NDSox
ND is already have conversations to retain Tommy Rees and Matt Balis. That, to me, indicates they are hammering out a contract with Freeman. I can't think of why you would speak to assistants if you didn't have your coach already in house. I would love to see all of the assistants stay and tell Kelly to suck it.

ND is already have conversations to retain Tommy Rees and Matt Balis. That, to me, indicates they are hammering out a contract with Freeman. I can't think of why you would speak to assistants if you didn't have your coach already in house. I would love to see all of the assistants stay and tell Kelly to suck it.

Matt Balis was the strength coach at WWS under Thorne when we won 3 titles in 4 years then he went to Wheaton North and they went to back to back semi finals before he left to be a college coach. The guy will push you to places you didn’t know you could go, great guy.

Last edited:
I still don't know why ND didn't fire Kelly after the death of Declan Sullivan.

"Sullivan was working for the school’s athletic department when he went up in an aerial scissor lift to record the team’s practice. Before heading to his job, which paid $7.80 an hour and offered a role with one of college football’s most storied programs, he expressed his fears on social media sites about using the lift amid the wind advisory that day.
“Gust of wind up to 60mph ... I guess I’ve lived long enough,” he tweeted after learning that practice would be held outside.
He also expressed his displeasure to a member of the football staff.
“Aw, man, this sucks,” he said after learning about the outdoors assignment, according to the report.
While the National Weather Service had issued a wind advisory for the day with gusts as high as 60 mph, Kelly and several members of his staff told an OSHA investigator that they did not find the weather to be out of the ordinary.

“It was a beautiful day,” the investigator quoted Kelly as saying. “It was 68 degrees and I remember looking up 11:54 a.m. and the wind was 22 miles per hour.""

I enjoyed the Kelly tenure and agree with both arguments: ND didn’t make it to the top.. they didnt win a championship or beat a Bama, OSU, or full strength Clemson.

With that said, where is USC? Where is Texas? Where is The U? Florida or Florida St? I mean the only program who can hold a candle to even NDs underperforming playoff runs outside the big 3 is OU and 1 year of LSU. Kelly did his job in South Bend.

Let Freeman get his shot, after all the name of the game is recruiting and that’s what he does.

PS - I personally LOVE that BK made Lafluer shovel snow at his house lmao!!

Reactions: missingwalter
I really don’t get the dislike for Kelly.

A kid tragically died at practice. As if he thought there was a chance of this happening that day. Just a horrible accident.

Making GA’s shovel during a party. It’s part of being a GA. Tough….

Reactions: stl705
I don't disagree with you about breaking the relationship with the ACC. In a case like that, where would you like to see them land?
ramblinman:

This was the topic of much discussion among friends as we tailgated at the ND-GT game. I never liked the affiliation with the ACC, mainly because it denies ND a national schedule it once enjoyed.

Before ND joined the ACC in football, the Irish played three Big-Ten teams, usually Pittsburgh, all three service academies, and Miami. Throughout the 50s and 60s, ND had relationships with Indiana, Northwestern, and Iowa, but consistently played MSU and Purdue. ND later added Michigan in the late 70s. My objection to the agreement with the ACC is it prevents ND from playing Big-10 teams it traditionally played. The trio of Big-10 teams, Michigan, MSU, and Purdue, contributed to a strong core schedule and lent ND a great recruiting tool for the Midwest. Moreover, the affiliation with the ACC blocks ND from playing a SEC team. ND was playing Tennessee often in the 80s and 90s.

This year alone, ND played five ACC teams. I want FSU and Clemson on ND's schedule every year. I would prefer to see ND schedule Duke, Virginia or, for example, VT every three years as opposed to annually to allow ND to play Washington or Texas as ND had previously.

Ideally, I'd like to see ND break the bond with the ACC and remain fully an Independent. I'd like to see ND resume annual meetings with Purdue, MSU, and Michigan. From the bosom of this schedule, I would prefer to see ND keep Stanford, annually play a UGA or a Tennessee, and maintain two of the three service academies. ND could easily schedule a Toledo, WMU or, on occasion, play Utah.

In a perfect world, I would also like to see ND break its television agreement with NBC because I believe NBC is a driving force behind ND's scheduling and night games (I hold night games in complete contempt). For the last two decades, ND has earned tens of millions from the network, but the contract has given far too much power to NBC. I don't care to have NBC dictating to the university.

Reactions: stl705
I got no problem with what these coaches make. They mean so much to the school and state.

Look what Dabo and Saban have done for their universities and communities.

ramblinman:

This was the topic of much discussion among friends as we tailgated at the ND-GT game. I never liked the affiliation with the ACC, mainly because it denies ND a national schedule it once enjoyed.

Before ND joined the ACC in football, the Irish played three Big-Ten teams, usually Pittsburgh, all three service academies, and Miami. Throughout the 50s and 60s, ND had relationships with Indiana, Northwestern, and Iowa, but consistently played MSU and Purdue. ND later added Michigan in the late 70s. My objection to the agreement with the ACC is it prevents ND from playing Big-10 teams it traditionally played. The trio of Big-10 teams, Michigan, MSU, and Purdue, contributed to a strong core schedule and lent ND a great recruiting tool for the Midwest. Moreover, the affiliation with the ACC blocks ND from playing a SEC team. ND was playing Tennessee often in the 80s and 90s.

This year alone, ND played five ACC teams. I want FSU and Clemson on ND's schedule every year. I would prefer to see ND schedule Duke, Virginia or, for example, VT every three years as opposed to annually to allow ND to play Washington or Texas as ND had previously.

Ideally, I'd like to see ND break the bond with the ACC and remain fully an Independent. I'd like to see ND resume annual meetings with Purdue, MSU, and Michigan. From the bosom of this schedule, I would prefer to see ND keep Stanford, annually play a UGA or a Tennessee, and maintain two of the three service academies. ND could easily schedule a Toledo, WMU or, on occasion, play Utah.

In a perfect world, I would also like to see ND break its television agreement with NBC because I believe NBC is a driving force behind ND's scheduling and night games (I hold night games in complete contempt). For the last two decades, ND has earned tens of millions from the network, but the contract has given far too much power to NBC. I don't care to have NBC dictating to the university.
For many reasons I have never been a Brian Kelly fan and see his character revealing exit as a blessing for the institution.
Streaming and control of their own content will replace NBC or any other broadcast partner within the next 5 years at which point dollars from advertisers flowing directly to the university (or conference) will dictate whether games are played in the afternoon or evening.
What were are the circumstances that led to the affiliation with the ACC for football and full membership in other sports?
What has changed since that decision was made?
If the move you suggest was made, they should prepare to begin scheduling all other sports as an Independent as I understand that the the ACC is turning up the heat on Notre Dame to join as full conference member for football.
Speaking of the campus, do you think the good Fathers have finally built enough buildings to run a school for 9,000 under grads and 4,000 grad students? Geez ....

Last edited:
I really don’t get the dislike for Kelly.

A kid tragically died at practice. As if he thought there was a chance of this happening that day. Just a horrible accident.

Making GA’s shovel during a party. It’s part of being a GA. Tough….

I'm really hoping this is sarcasm. A kid died and there were 60 MPH winds that day. Gross negligence and I seriously doubt BK even gave a shit the kid died.

I'm really hoping this is sarcasm. A kid died and there were 60 MPH winds that day. Gross negligence and I seriously doubt BK even gave a shit the kid died.
But there's video of Urban Meyer touching a butt! Don't forget Kelly also had to forfeit his best season because they got caught with academic fraud. It's funny how morals and religious beliefs tend to fall to the side when games can be won...

ramblinman:

NBC Sports might collapse on the weight of a few big contracts for "talent" and not enough lucrative content apart from ND football and SNF.

Again, I think it was a tragic accident. Not sure why Kelly is to blame as some horrible person for it however. It was investigated.

If they were to leave the ACC, they really would have to go independent because my understanding of their deal with the ACC is that, for the next 15 years, the only conference they can join fully in football is the ACC. Are they able to leave the ACC if they go independent and remain so through 2036? I assume there is some kind of opt out payment they would have to make if they were to go independent...and a much larger payment if they were to leave the ACC and join another conference.

the family caught a huge check from the endowment to make it disappear.
There was never a lawsuit. There was an OSHA fine that went to OSHA.

No money went to the family. Not because there could not have been a lawsuit - because the family did not want to pursue one. At least do a little research before you type away.

Reactions: colin2229
There was never a lawsuit. There was an OSHA fine that went to OSHA.

No money went to the family. Not because there could not have been a lawsuit - because the family did not want to pursue one. At least do a little research before you type away.

Mea culpa.

Did he also help cover up the assault and intimidation that lead to a girls suicide?

NBC Sports might collapse on the weight of a few big contracts for "talent" and not enough lucrative content apart from ND football and SNF.
They are shutting down NBCSN on December 31. Most sports will be on USA. Gotta think the olympics bad contract is also killing them.

I wonder if the home folks down in Louisiana view this move as a steal from ND or modern-day "carpetbagging" (Southern term describing opportunistic Northerners coming south to exploit the local populace for their own personal gain)?

I wonder if the home folks down in Louisiana view this move as a steal from ND or modern-day "carpetbagging" (Southern term describing opportunistic Northerners coming south to exploit the local populace for their own personal gain)?
I'd say no, that was 150 years ago, but I've been there lol

Reactions: johnndoe
It appears highly likely the entire ND staff will stay intact and no one is going w Kelly to LSU.

That’s the biggest tell of what people think of the guy.

Really quite shocking.

Tommy Reese was offered a 400k increase to go to LSU and turned it down.

I think this greatly helps their chances of somehow finding their way into the college playoff. Can you imagine if ND somehow finds their way in and wins the whole thing w/o Kelly???? Man, that’s be awesome.

Reactions: eireog
Checked out an LSU forum yesterday and they view it as a steal. As an ND fan, kind of fun to read about their excitement. Kelly won a lot of games at ND. He was good at winning the games he was supposed to. Rarely, if ever, lost to an unranked team. That being said, I would guess most ND people are either "meh" or happy to see him go. He was always the type of coach to throw his players under the bus as he rarely made mistakes in his mind. Up until a couple of years ago, he was viewed as a lazy recruiter - not as involved as Sabin, Dabo, etc. He's improved recently.

I totally get why he left. He definitely views himself as the smartest guy in any room and if Les Miles and Coach O can win NCs at LSU, heck he can do it easily with that talent.

I would say the over/under on years at LSU before they get rid of him is 3.5. I don't think it's gonna go well for him.

I think the money had quite a bit to do with it.

No matter what one might think of BK, the program is incredibly further along than the path they were on prior to his jumping ship at Cincinnati to join the Irish. The program was going nowhere. Now they are consistently a top ten team. That in itself is not too shabby but we always want more. I think the Freeman era will not miss a step in at least maintaining this advance and hopefully move it to the next level. They recruit extremely well and they seem to be very competent.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Again, I think it was a tragic accident. Not sure why Kelly is to blame as some horrible person for it however. It was investigated.

The incident was investigated by the University LOL. Obviously there was an agenda to find no wrongdoing.
A young mans life ended because filming practice had more value to coaches than his life. Anyone with a lick of sense or caring would have told Declan to get off of the tower.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT