ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Really, you're just now coming to the conclusion the Bears can't develop QB's? There are records that Sid Luckman still holds! The Bears are the only team to never have a 4,000 yard passer in a season. With their two top 5 picks they need to take Marvin Harrison Jr. with one and trade back and draft Penix with the other. Caleb Williams is a smaller Fields and Maye could be good but I prefer the season Penix has been having. Also need an OC who doesn't call plays for the Bears like he's still working for the Packers.
Lol
Caleb Williams is much better than Fields. He creates plays on the run, has a much stronger and accurate arm and is better in the pocket and he is fast. Caleb is also a leader and I don’t see that in Fields. Caleb had a bad game, it happens. We will see how he plays the rest of the way. I believe USC has one of the toughest schedules the rest of the way. Utah, Cal, Oregon, Washington and UCLA. I do like Penix but am worried about his past injuries and if he would hold up in the NFL. Really at this point I am not sure what direction the Bears should go. QBs go to the Bears to die so I am not sure any of the top guys will want to go to the Bears. Caleb doesn’t have to since he is only a Junior.

What makes this nightmare even worse is it’s hard to pinpoint what is the biggest need. Tempting to take a QB and start the clock all over. But behind this 5, he wouldn’t survive.

That’s why I think it’ll be interesting to see what they do with the Bagent kid. With fields likely down with the dislocated thumb, they may just ride this kid and see what happens.

At times today he looked like he knew what he was doing. Then there was the pick and fumble.
Agree Newt! Give the kid a shot. Maybe he will get some confidence and turn into a Brock Purdy? Who knows. The Bears have turned #1 QBs into crap maybe they can get a diamond with this kid. If nothing else he looks the part and has a good arm and seems to be athletic. A few of his passes he had a quick release. The last pass 💩 but it’s his first game in the NFL working with the 1st string.

Reactions: colin2229
Lol
Caleb Williams is much better than Fields. He creates plays on the run, has a much stronger and accurate arm and is better in the pocket and he is fast. Caleb is also a leader and I don’t see that in Fields. Caleb had a bad game, it happens. We will see how he plays the rest of the way. I believe USC has one of the toughest schedules the rest of the way. Utah, Cal, Oregon, Washington and UCLA. I do like Penix but am worried about his past injuries and if he would hold up in the NFL. Really at this point I am not sure what direction the Bears should go. QBs go to the Bears to die so I am not sure any of the top guys will want to go to the Bears. Caleb doesn’t have to since he is only a Junior.
Caleb would fail in the Bears current situation.
Agree Newt! Give the kid a shot. Maybe he will get some confidence and turn into a Brock Purdy? Who knows. The Bears have turned #1 QBs into crap maybe they can get a diamond with this kid. If nothing else he looks the part and has a good arm and seems to be athletic. A few of his passes he had a quick release. The last pass 💩 but it’s his first game in the NFL working with the 1st string.
It’s interesting you mention Purdy. At this point, with the history of the Bears and QBs, I think the only way they can have success would be to try to set up a situation like SF. Be outstanding on defense and both lines, get a couple great playmakers and then plug in a serviceable game manager QB.

Lol
Sorry, I'm just not sold on Williams. The game last night showed what happens when you pressure him and with the Bears OL that's beyond troubling and I'm a football degenerate so I've watched plenty of late night PAC 12 games and I'm just not overly impressed. He holds the ball too long, focuses on only one receiver and likes to run; sound familiar. I also question his ability to read an NFL defense, plus he's listed at 6'1", so he's probably actually shorter than 6".

It’s interesting you mention Purdy. At this point, with the history of the Bears and QBs, I think the only way they can have success would be to try to set up a situation like SF. Be outstanding on defense and both lines, get a couple great playmakers and then plug in a serviceable game manager QB.
That's what their teams looked like both times they went to the Super Bowl. A lights out defense with a good running game can take you a long way.

Reactions: doctor_d
Caleb would fail in the Bears current situation.

Dr,
I can’t disagree with you, this might be their best option at this point. I will disagree and add that the Bears won’t win a Superbowl with a serviceable QB. It won’t happen but if we are only looking to have an above average team then yes by all means a QB that is a game manger can get them to above 500 and even to a playoff here and there but they won’t get far on a game manger. IMO

That's what their teams looked like both times they went to the Super Bowl. A lights out defense with a good running game can take you a long way.
85 team was one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL IMO. Jim was better than a game manager when he was healthy. No one ever thought the Bears were going to win that Superbowl with Rex Grossman and it was rather embarrassing game for the Bears. In the Superbowl Grossman passed for 20-28 for 165 yards 2 interceptions 1 a pick six and 2 fumbles.
He was benched the following year for underperforming.

Last edited:
85 team was one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL IMO. Jim was better than a game manager when he was healthy. No one ever thought the Bears were going to win that Superbowl with Rex Grossman and it was rather embarrassing game for the Bears.
Not sure how it was embarrassing, it was close into the 4th and they ended up losing by 12. They got there on the back of their defense and running game and the 49ers show that formula still makes for a successful team. They very well could have made the Super Bowl last year if they didn't have 6 QB's go down.

If you want a top QB it starts at the top. They either need a good offensive minded coach or a proven OC. Big picture solution is they draft whoever they draft and sign a solid veteran QB with all the cap space they have while the rookie develops and doesn't have to get thrown into the fire right away.

Reactions: Wolffan64
Not sure how it was embarrassing, it was close into the 4th and they ended up losing by 12. They got there on the back of their defense and running game and the 49ers show that formula still makes for a successful team. They very well could have made the Super Bowl last year if they didn't have 6 QB's go down.

If you want a top QB it starts at the top. They either need a good offensive minded coach or a proven OC. Big picture solution is they draft whoever they draft and sign a solid veteran QB with all the cap space they have while the rookie develops and doesn't have to get thrown into the fire right away.
I agree and really at this point don’t want the Bears to draft a QB. They ruin QBs.
The problem is they haven’t shown they can draft anyone and improve the team. I mean they just drafted 10 players last year and they are a worse team than last year. I mean that’s really hard to do, but some how they managed to pick players and get worse.

• Haha
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I agree and really at this point don’t want the Bears to draft a QB. They ruin QBs.
The problem is they haven’t shown they can draft anyone and improve the team. I mean they just drafted 10 players last year and they are a worse team than last year. I mean that’s really hard to do, but some how they managed to pick players and get worse.
Sounds like you just want flashy skill players drafted. Darnell Wright is ranked as a top 15 tackle, stephenson has started every game at CB. Johnson will be a good RB once his brain stops banging into his skull. You can't expect any team to plug that many rookies into starting spots and be successful immediately. Rebuilds don't happen overnight. Doesn't help when they've had multiple injuries at literally every position group.

Vikings are not a good team but the defense only gave up 12 points.

You could have Tom Brady back there and he will fail with the bears offensive Line You can trace every winning season the bears have had to having a good offensive line They guys can run block but cannot pass block especially against the blitz.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor_d and 4Afan
Since we used 2 centers today, it’s always a good reminder the Bears drafted DT Dexter and DB Stevenson over C Schmitz. All need positions so I get it so maybe go back and blame the Claypool trade for not getting a possible 10 year Center starter in the league.

Just don’t do a Tush push without practicing it live. (Schmitz is currently out for the Giants from the ill-advised play call vs the Seahawks a couple weeks back)

Really, you're just now coming to the conclusion the Bears can't develop QB's? There are records that Sid Luckman still holds! The Bears are the only team to never have a 4,000 yard passer in a season. With their two top 5 picks they need to take Marvin Harrison Jr. with one and trade back and draft Penix with the other. Caleb Williams is a smaller Fields and Maye could be good but I prefer the season Penix has been having. Also need an OC who doesn't call plays for the Bears like he's still working for the Packers.
OK, let me sort this out. First you ask if someone is just realizing the Bears do a poor job of grooming. QBs. Then you go on to give facts regarding the poor play of QBs over the years. Then you talk about drafting yet another QB in the first round.

The Bears only problem isn't just doing a poor job of developing QBs. And not just the play calling, although it's a major problem. The initial problem and biggest problem is the fact they simply can't assess QB talent and draft the wrong guys to play the position at the NFL level.

I can't think of one QB the Bears drafted in my lifetime who had the starting job for a period, was terrible, left the team and then found success on another team. Maybe there is one I am forgetting or simply wasn't aware of. That is the problem. These QBs not only can't play here. They can't play anywhere.

Reactions: stl705
Since we used 2 centers today, it’s always a good reminder the Bears drafted DT Dexter and DB Stevenson over C Schmitz. All need positions so I get it so maybe go back and blame the Claypool trade for not getting a possible 10 year Center starter in the league.

Just don’t do a Tush push without practicing it live. (Schmitz is currently out for the Giants from the ill-advised play call vs the Seahawks a couple weeks back)
Sounds really bad, did Schmitz need the services of https://images.app.goo.gl/seLHW3TDeHbozVGQ7

• Haha
Reactions: RockSoup
I can't think of one QB the Bears drafted in my lifetime who had the starting job for a period, was terrible, left the team and then found success on another team. Maybe there is one I am forgetting or simply wasn't aware of. That is the problem. These QBs not only can't play here. They can't play anywhere.
Maybe Jim Harbaugh. He was pretty good with the Colts. He might be the answer at coach.

I expect the Bears to win this week, thanks to the backup QB. Showed me more in one half than Fields has in 3 years

Reactions: RockSoup
Sounds like you just want flashy skill players drafted. Darnell Wright is ranked as a top 15 tackle, stephenson has started every game at CB. Johnson will be a good RB once his brain stops banging into his skull. You can't expect any team to plug that many rookies into starting spots and be successful immediately. Rebuilds don't happen overnight. Doesn't help when they've had multiple injuries at literally every position group.

Vikings are not a good team but the defense only gave up 12 points.
No not the case at all. You have to draft talent impact players. The Bears traded down to draft average players. The could have drafted Carter or Anderson on defense but the chose to trade down to get more average picks. I was ok with their OL pick but after that really what did get that really was an upgrade from what they already had? Team is worse than a bad team last year. Again that’s hard to do but it’s reality. We have 1 win and no upside for the rest of the season other than see how our 2nd string QB does.

I expect the Bears to win this week, thanks to the backup QB. Showed me more in one half than Fields has in 3 years
I really don't know whether I should pick the Bears or Raiders this week. I might end up flipping a coin. Regardless who the QB is, he still has that O-Line.

I'd agree that it appears that Fields won't be the guy, but these statements seem like straight hyperbole. What exactly did Bagent show you? He came in and almost immediately got strip sacked for a TD. He then led a nice TD drive, but it seemed like the Vikes were sitting back in a pretty soft zone at that point. Bagent did get rid of the ball quickly on short passes that were effective. Then there was the woefully underthrown interception on 1st and 10. I can cut the guy a ton of slack as an undrafted rookie, but I don't see what he really proved.
I'll be rooting for him this weekend. It seems like Getsky really has a bond with him, so maybe something good will happen, but I don't expect too much to be perfectly honest.

LOL. The backup QB is always the most popular player in Chicago. He showed he can get rid of the ball quickly. He also showed that he can turn the ball over twice, in 15 passing attempts. He's not good.

---doctor ninja'd me---

Reactions: doctor_d
I'd agree that it appears that Fields won't be the guy, but these statements seem like straight hyperbole. What exactly did Bagent show you? He came in and almost immediately got strip sacked for a TD. He then led a nice TD drive, but it seemed like the Vikes were sitting back in a pretty soft zone at that point. Bagent did get rid of the ball quickly on short passes that were effective. Then there was the woefully underthrown interception on 1st and 10. I can cut the guy a ton of slack as an undrafted rookie, but I don't see what he really proved.
I'll be rooting for him this weekend. It seems like Getsky really has a bond with him, so maybe something good will happen, but I don't expect too much to be perfectly honest.
Had this convo with my dad, who loves Bagent as well. He wasn't making "quick decisions," he was staring down his first read and just throwing it with no discretion.

The Bears have changed their offensive line combinations 30 times in the last 23 games. You can't win that way.
Exactly this.

The Bears are in a terrible cycle of drafting a QB, give him 3 years, then draft another QB, give him 3 years, then draft another QB. Maybe the QB isn't the problem, maybe it is the line play that is the problem.

3 Years ago we all thought that Fields was the answer but the problem was he didn't have anyone around him to help (that includes coaches). Everybody says he has the athletic ability to be the QB but he has very few weapons around him and that all starts with the Offensive Line.

The Bears can go ahead and draft the next best QB in the NFL but he won't be any good either because his line is terrible. Put Brock Purdy on the Bears and Fields on the 49ers, Fields would be amazing and Purdy would struggle.

The best solution right now, keep Fields, use the draft to improve the other holes on the team and maybe in a few years if Fields isn't your guy, then you move on. Don't worry, there will but other quality QB's coming out of college but none of them will be seasoned or prepared to be an NFL QB for 3-4 years.

Exactly this.

The Bears are in a terrible cycle of drafting a QB, give him 3 years, then draft another QB, give him 3 years, then draft another QB. Maybe the QB isn't the problem, maybe it is the line play that is the problem.

3 Years ago we all thought that Fields was the answer but the problem was he didn't have anyone around him to help (that includes coaches). Everybody says he has the athletic ability to be the QB but he has very few weapons around him and that all starts with the Offensive Line.

The Bears can go ahead and draft the next best QB in the NFL but he won't be any good either because his line is terrible. Put Brock Purdy on the Bears and Fields on the 49ers, Fields would be amazing and Purdy would struggle.

The best solution right now, keep Fields, use the draft to improve the other holes on the team and maybe in a few years if Fields isn't your guy, then you move on. Don't worry, there will but other quality QB's coming out of college but none of them will be seasoned or prepared to be an NFL QB for 3-4 years.
Hold on there, cowboy. Don't say "we all thought Fields was the answer but he didn't have anyone around him." I didn't say that. I am a wait and see kind of guy. I don't like making predictions on QBs who are just coming into the NFL because that league is a universe of difference than is college football.

With Fields, I have waited and I have seen and it isn't impressive or consistent. He has had his chance. Might as well go with Tyson Bagent to see what he can do because the season is lost anyway.

BTW, since you mentioned Brock Purdy, as of last Sunday he is the lowest paid starting QB in the league and is performing like a superstar. He is second in the NFL in QB rating at a whopping 111.9. He has thrown 10 TD passes and his only one int. is best in the NFL. The kid can play. Last Sunday was his first regular season loss. The Bears and Fields haven't won a home game since Sep 25th, 2022.

If you think Fields would be amazing on the 49ers, I'd like you to name ONE Bears QB in our lifetimes who wasn't very good on the Bears but went somewhere else and was "amazing." I didn't think you could.

I do think Fields has physical talent. But, is still making some of the same mental mistakes he made in the beginning.

To flip the above statement, Purdy is indeed good. He is good playing for the 49ers. You think you could plug Purdy into this Bears team and he’d still be good? I don’t think so.

The problem is, they don't have "a few years". He's still on his rookie deal for 1 more year. After that, if he has played even decent, the price goes way up. Look at the contracts being given to QB's after their rookie deal is up.... The faster he is able to come back from the thumb, the better. Give as much time as possible to determine "yay or nay".

With the draft picks that it looks like they will have (2 in the top 5 or 6), my complete amateur GM guess would be they pick the QB they like with one pick, and OL/DL with the other.

To flip the above statement, Purdy is indeed good. He is good playing for the 49ers. You think you could plug Purdy into this Bears team and he’d still be good? I don’t think so.
Don't you think you could say that about Mahomes? Don't you think you could say that about Allen? Don't you think you could say that about Tagovailoa? Don't you think you could say that about Herbert? Don't you think you could say that about Brady? What is all this jealousy when it comes to Purdy?

This is just as uneducated as the people who come here and say, "well if Fields has more time to throw his numbers go up." Well, no shit. Isn't that true about any QB?

I said it before, throwing out Bagent this early is doing nothing for the Bears nor his career other than sealing up a top pick. I’ll be impressed if he has over 140 yds passing. Maxx Crosby is laughing himself to sleep each night this week.

Edit: I am rooting for the kid!!

Last edited:
Don't you think you could say that about Mahomes? Don't you think you could say that about Allen? Don't you think you could say that about Tagovailoa? Don't you think you could say that about Herbert? Don't you think you could say that about Brady? What is all this jealousy when it comes to Purdy?

This is just as uneducated as the people who come here and say, "well if Fields has more time to throw his numbers go up." Well, no shit. Isn't that true about any QB?
I have no Purdy jealousy. I just think the Bears are so dysfunctional that it doesn’t matter who is playing QB right now.
Makes it harder to evaluate, but I would agree that Fields probably isn’t the guy going forward.

I said it before, throwing out Bagent this early is doing nothing for the Bears nor his career other than sealing up a top pick. I’ll be impressed if he has over 140 yds passing. Maxx Crosby is laughing himself to sleep each night this week.

Edit: I am rooting for the kid!!
Maxx Crosby is banged up and may not be as effective as usual this week. If Garoppolo ends up playing I am picking the Raiders. If he isn't, I am picking the Bears.

BTW, just when is a good time to put Bagent in? When the team is 1-10? Guys don't learn the position of QB on the sidelines. They learn it by playing.

Maxx Crosby is banged up and may not be as effective as usual this week. If Garoppolo ends up playing I am picking the Raiders. If he isn't, I am picking the Bears.

BTW, just when is a good time to put Bagent in? When the team is 1-10? Guys don't learn the position of QB on the sidelines. They learn it by playing.
The time to throw in an undrafted division 2 QB is when u dont have 25 different OL combinations in the past 30 games. Play him, I just think the kid is being thrown to the wolves. But thats the nfl, sink or swim. Hope kid can play well.

I wanted Schmitz in the second as well, but if you trust PFF, he’s been awful so far. Maybe he can’t Row the Boat without Fleck.

Hopefully they can get this position fixed soon.

. . . and how freakin' pathetic that last drive was for those who's watching. Three timeouts and having the efficient offense huddling and taking its time before the end of first half.

In the end, only one timeout was used.

Coaching staff should get fired at halftime.
Yes, that was …. odd.

I was just going to say that Ramblinman. It’s early but I think the Bears found their quarterback. It’s amazing how all of the sudden the OL looks good.
Hold your horses.
I’m generally happy with the execution today, but this could easily be described as “game manager” or check down Charlie play. Bears currently winning with solid defense, great running game, and the QB is making enough plays to keep drives going.
I’m fine with it, but in the past, this type of QB play wasn’t good enough for some fans.

Reactions: lweastdad and 4Afan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT