ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

I can't believe how well also our OL played today and our 3rd and 4th string running backs played great!

The timing of our OL, RBs and QB were all in sync for once.

How about we keep both? Justin stays the starter, and coaches can pull the gloves off and let him run more. We have a capable backup if he does go down for a few plays or a game. Getting the max abilities out of Fields will give defenses lots of trouble.
I would make Fields a wide receiver/running back. He has skills but imo not a NFL QB.

Don't forget the fumble. I want the kid to succeed, but man do Bears fans have blind optimism after one game where the kid was basically a game manager against a team with a worse offense than the Bears.
A fumble on a sack where his line gave him 1.3 seconds to manage the reads. Not all fumbles and interceptions are the same.

Bagent just showed a bigger more athletic QB the math, timing and execution of the short to mid RPO until splash plays reveal themselves.

The way JF played vs the blitz happy Flores last week was basically cuttable that’s how bad it was just from a pre snap count wise. I mean bad but like all things in life , you don’t see something until you see it, no matter how much the coach discusses it with you. You could nod your head all day but the film shows how miscoached he was.

Bagent starts a couple more. The bigger, better Fields plays in a couple weeks, has a fine decade for the Bears leading them to a few decent playoff runs. Bagent becomes Andy Dalton or Chase Daniel and lives the best life possible for a dozen years

Bagent just showed a bigger more athletic QB the math, timing and execution of the short to mid RPO until splash plays reveal themselves.

The way JF played vs the blitz happy Flores last week was basically cuttable that’s how bad it was just from a pre snap count wise. I mean bad but like all things in life , you don’t see something until you see it, no matter how much the coach discusses it with you. You could nod your head all day but the film shows how miscoached he was.

Bagent starts a couple more. The bigger, better Fields plays in a couple weeks, has a fine decade for the Bears leading them to a few decent playoff runs. Bagent becomes Andy Dalton or Chase Daniel and lives the best life possible for a dozen years
Lol Rock
Now that is a fairy tale story if I ever read one. Hahahaha

First of all, the most important thing was, the Bears win. That is what counts most. A few things I saw. This was obviously a different Bears team, no question. They looked like a hungry ballclub. The attitude was much different than I have seen all year. I saw a different confidence level. I saw the entire game except for the Jaylon Johnson pick-six.

One important thing. The Bears were never losing in this game. Ball control by the offense with no turnovers was outstanding as the Bears had possession for 8:00 more than the Raiders in the game. One drive took more than 8:00 off the clock and ended in a TD. Very good stuff.

The play calling really didn't surprise me because earlier in the week Bagent talked about quick release passes slowing down the rush and getting the D line tired. So, it wasn't unexpected. O-Line did a great job.

Bagent made some good throws on the run and lofted a nice pass into the end zone that the receiver couldn't hang on to. Most passing yards were YAC yards. Even the TD pass when the Bears had the ball on the Raiders 5 yard line wasn't thrown into the end zone. Foreman caught it outside the goal line and ran it in.

Did Tyson Bagent remind me of John Elway? LOL, no. Not at all. But he had a good game and stayed away from mistakes that could be costly. In other words, he seemed to learn from the mistakes he made last week when he was pressed into service. That is important.

Reactions: 4Afan
Looking ahead to the next game on the road against the Chargers...if Fields is healthy I expect him to start. After yesterday's game Eberflus said "Fields is the starter and Bagent is the backup." That tells you all you need to know when it comes to who's starting when Fields is ready to go. You have to remember. Fields wasn't benched. He was injured.

I can tell you who wants to see Fields start most in the next game. Fields himself. You don't want to give anyone else too much of an opportunity. If Bagent does start the next game and plays well and especially if the Bears beat the Chargers on the road, the decision by Eberflus as to who will start next gets much more difficult.

Bagent has played in two games and he already does two things better than Fields. 1) He gets the ball out of his hands on time, thereby reducing the number of sacks he experiences. 2) He is more accurate on the short to intermediate routes. This allows the receivers and backs to gain yards after the catch and will potentially reduce interceptions. His interception last week was on a long pass and admittedly didn't look pretty.

Who knows where this will go? Still, I love seeing a kid from a Division II school looking liking he belongs (at least for one game) in the NFL.

If the OC calls the same type of game with JF as the QB, he will have success. It seems like they are trying to do too much with JF when he's in. As if they have to justify him being paid or drafted where he was.

Bears are putting no pressure on Herbert.

Hate to keep saying this but the guy who would help fix that was available to us in the first round of the draft.

Bears are putting no pressure on Herbert.

Hate to keep saying this but the guy who would help fix that was available to us in the first round of the draft.
Yes he would have made the Bears DL better, but not to the level you think because the Bears DL has no one else and he would have been double teamed on every down. Eagles already had a good DL so teams can't always double him.

The problem is Eberflus and the play calling. This baby shit soft zone isn't working but he won't change anything.

Reactions: mchsalumni
We done with Bagent being the answer and the next Joe Montana yet?
Guy is a serviceable QB2, but even an all pro QB1 is gonna have bumps in the road on this squad.

Who said Bagent was going to be the next Joe Montana?
multiple people on here after last weeks game. Bagent is a serviceable backup and in the right situation, not the Bears, someone who may be able to be a starter and function as a "game manager"

Who said Bagent was going to be the next Joe Montana?
I guess nobody here but social media (and regular media) was hyping him up to the extreme. Back up QB is usually the most popular player on the Bears roster. “Look at how much quicker he gets rid of the ball”. “Look at that poise.” “He’s like Joe Cool out there.”
I like Bagent. Good story and he will or should have a nice NFL career, but I think it’s obvious that a change of QB isn’t the quick fix to make the Bears competitive.
Bagent isn’t the savior and Fields inst the scapegoat (or at least shouldn’t be)

multiple people on here after last weeks game. Bagent is a serviceable backup and in the right situation, not the Bears, someone who may be able to be a starter and function as a "game manager"
Point one out to me who said he is going to be the next Joe Montana, please.

Point one out to me who said he is going to be the next Joe Montana, please.
I apologize, maybe Montana wasn't mentioned specifically, but they had already put Fields on a plane out of town and anointed Bagent the Bears long term starter.

I guess nobody here but social media (and regular media) was hyping him up to the extreme. Back up QB is usually the most popular player on the Bears roster. “Look at how much quicker he gets rid of the ball”. “Look at that poise.” “He’s like Joe Cool out there.”
I like Bagent. Good story and he will or should have a nice NFL career, but I think it’s obvious that a change of QB isn’t the quick fix to make the Bears competitive.
Bagent isn’t the savior and Fields inst the scapegoat (or at least shouldn’t be)
I view football discussions on this board and the general social media in entirely different lights. People on this board, at least, know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to football. Most people in the general social media don't have a clue about football or any other sport for that matter. So, it is pointless to take them seriously.

I apologize, maybe Montana wasn't mentioned specifically, but they had already put Fields on a plane out of town and anointed Bagent the Bears long term starter.
I will agree with that. Cutler ended up with no protection. He felt pressure when it wasn't there and that was sad to see. Trubisky ended up running for his life although he hasn't done anything in Pittsburgh. Personally, I like Fields. The guy isn't a jag so you can't help but hope he performs successfully.

It's just a matter of the QB position being so visible. So, we all know it's easy to pick on the guy. Trubisky being a bust in PIT too didn't surprise anyone here. But, I am not so sure Fields would be a bust if he went somewhere else and was coached properly with a good game plan and good play calling.

I am leaning more to the Bears keeping Fields and not drafting another QB in the first round next year. Because if they draft another QB, they won't protect him and will wreck him too. It always seems to come down to a crappy O-line with the Bears. Always.

Reactions: doctor_d
I view football discussions on this board and the general social media in entirely different lights. People on this board, at least, know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to football. Most people in the general social media don't have a clue about football or any other sport for that matter. So, it is pointless to take them seriously.
Well, thank you.
With that said, there was some general sentiment that a simple swap of Bagent to QB1 would somehow solve a bunch of problems and propel the Bears to contender status.
I don’t think that’s the case.
If my assumption was wrong, my apologies.

I will agree with that. Cutler ended up with no protection. He felt pressure when it wasn't there and that was sad to see. Trubisky ended up running for his life although he hasn't done anything in Pittsburgh. Personally, I like Fields. The guy isn't a jag so you can't help but hope he performs successfully.

It's just a matter of the QB position being so visible. So, we all know it's easy to pick on the guy. Trubisky being a bust in PIT too didn't surprise anyone here. But, I am not so sure Fields would be a bust if he went somewhere else and was coached properly with a good game plan and good play calling.

I am leaning more to the Bears keeping Fields and not drafting another QB in the first round next year. Because if they draft another QB, they won't protect him and will wreck him too. It always seems to come down to a crappy O-line with the Bears. Always.
I tend to agree with you and lean towards keeping Fields, but doing that includes giving him an extension and committing long term to him. The Bears will have the money to do that, it's more so committing the years to him. If they want to do that then they need to start at the top and bring in a coach who can work with him and develop a QB.

If they're not willing to bring in a coach who can develop a QB then the Bears will eternally be in this situation.

This is a really good QB draft class and with the Bears draft capital I would hate to miss out on a great QB. My thought is you bring in an OC and head coach who are offensive minded who can develop a QB, extend Fields at a reasonable number, draft one of the top QB's not named Caleb Williams, and let him sit behind Fields as he develops and the Bears continue to build their team.

Their record makes it look like the rebuild has been a failure but injuries have killed them. I don't think they've had the same 5 OL start more than one game and the defense has had injuries at all levels.

If I'm playing Bears GM and I'm assuming the Bears have two top 5 picks I take Marvin Harrison Jr. with their top pick and with the second pick I trade back for more picks and draft Michael Penix. After that I look for the best interior DL. I look to find an edge rusher and secondary help in free agency. I need to see the O line healthy for more than one game to see if another OL needs to be drafted. When healthy, center is the only question mark I have. Borom and Jenkins at guard and Jones and Wright at tackle can make a really good OL if healthy and given time to work together.

The Bears need vast improvements on the Offensive and defensive lines. This is the only way to get out of the mediocracy we've been in for the past 30 years

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
This is a really good QB draft class and with the Bears draft capital I would hate to miss out on a great QB

No this is a much overrated QB draft class. Go get Harrison and then all OL and DL.

Reactions: lweastdad
This is a really good QB draft class and with the Bears draft capital I would hate to miss out on a great QB

No this is a much overrated QB draft class. Go get Harrison and then all OL and DL.
What? Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Michael Penix, Bo Nix, Riley Leonard, JJ McCarthy, and in the later rounds guys like Michael Prat. This is a very good QB draft class.

Like I said earlier, I want to see how the OL does when healthy before giving up on them. Even with all the injuries they've had on the OL and at RB they're still a good running team.

JJ may stay another year with Michigan. I don't want NC QBs period. The rest are overrated.

Let's fix and draft OL and DL. That's what we have not had in a long time.

+ I don't care for the linebacker core right now.

Get the QB later if needed.

Reactions: forlouann
JJ may stay another year with Michigan. I don't want NC QBs period. The rest are overrated.

Let's fix and draft OL and DL. That's what we have not had in a long time.

+ I don't care for the linebacker core right now.

Get the QB later if needed.
How do you know the OL needs fixing if you haven't seen them all be healthy and play together? They've invested in the OL the last 3 drafts, they're not going to give up on that group just yet.

JJ gonna stay if punishment comes down on Michigan for the sign stealing?

Jeez, what do you think a good QB draft class looks like if this ain't it?

They just spent top dollar for the LB's they have and aren't going to abandon them either. For better production from the LB's the DL needs to be better. Which is why I say draft the best interior DL available in the 2nd or 3rd round and find your edge rusher in free agency.

Think JJ and Jimmy H are on their last year in Ann Arbor.

I’m all for trading down again and taking JJ or Penix mid-late rd 1 and Harrison Jr and/or Fashanu LT from PSU higher in rd 1. If we can’t get both, I’d target Harrison Jr + Joe Alt OT from ND.

Bears need a lot more help and another trade down is best imo.

I dont want JJ on the Bears only because I like JJ and don't want him around this crappy organization.

You think our OL may be OK. Tell that to Fields. I like the picks from the last two years but the rest of the OL are crap and there is no quality depth there.

And this is no doubt a overrated QB draft class. Your believing the so-called experts and not giving this the eye test.

They may have spent a lot of money on this linebacker core but they still stink and are overrated.

They already drafted two interior lineman in the draft last year and now need to let them play and grow. Yes we need a pass rusher but if they drafted Carter last year they may get away without one for now.

Reactions: stl705
I dont want JJ on the Bears only because I like JJ and don't want him around this crappy organization.

You think our OL may be OK. Tell that to Fields. I like the picks from the last two years but the rest of the OL are crap and there is no quality depth there.

And this is no doubt a overrated QB draft class. Your believing the so-called experts and not giving this the eye test.

They may have spent a lot of money on this linebacker core but they still stink and are overrated.

They already drafted two interior lineman in the draft last year and now need to let them play and grow. Yes we need a pass rusher but if they drafted Carter last year they may get away without one for now.
I watch more college football than one man should so I've given the QB's the eye test and honestly JJ would be at the lower end of the list. He's good, not great, and hasn't really ever had to go out and win a game. Maye is the most pro ready based on the system UNC runs. Penix has the most talent in my opinion but injury history is a concern. Williams is a smaller Fields.

Many of those sacks are on Fields for either holding onto the ball too long or not being able to read the defense. The Bears aren't likely to draft OL depth, they will address that in free agency.

Wright and Jones at tackles and Borom and Jenkins at guards is a good line, they just need to find a center and be healthy.

The LB's have been with the Bears for 8 games, I wish I had your scouting ability to know they stink already. Eberflus has done them no favors with his basic play calling.

Ah yes, if they had drafter Carter all their D line problems would be solved. He wouldn't have been the same guy on the Bears. As I previously mentioned he would have been far and away the best DL on the team and thus would have been double teamed the majority of the time. Philly already had a great DL so teams can't afford to double him. Why is it your willing to let the DL play and grow but not the OL?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT