ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Outside of the game I was thinking about Dick Butkus.. and it made me wonder.. is CVS still an operating high school? I never here anything about it, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything

Outside of the game I was thinking about Dick Butkus.. and it made me wonder.. is CVS still an operating high school? I never here anything about it, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything
Yes, it's still on East 87th, although now it's called Chicago Vocational Career Academy. I don't know if it has football anymore. Maybe our CPL contingent can fill us in on its recent history.

Tonight 4.

Glad to see it but 2 sacks came after the game was already determined. This D Line and linebacker core puts no pressure on the QB which hurts the entire defense.

Eberflus finally did at least blitz this game which helps out. This team before tonight was ranked last in the league in sacks and will likely finish there at the end of the year.

The team is missing a stud on the defensive line. Our top draft picks next year must be used on the OL and DL.

You don't win many games unless you have a closer on defense in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Reactions: lweastdad
Glad to see it but 2 sacks came after the game was already determined. This D Line and linebacker core puts no pressure on the QB which hurts the entire defense.

Eberflus finally did at least blitz this game which helps out. This team before tonight was ranked last in the league in sacks and will likely finish there at the end of the year.

The team is missing a stud on the defensive line. Our top draft picks next year must be used on the OL and DL.

You don't win many games unless you have a closer on defense in the last 2 minutes of the game.
Keep in mind the defense tonight played with 3 starters out in the secondary and two more got hurt during the game.

Look this isn’t a perfect team or even a good one, but they went on the road and won last night against a team that’s been decent so far.

Certainly something to build off of.

Newt
How’s that offensive line doing? Lol
It’s one good game after 4 stinkers. The jury is still out on Fields.
I was puzzled why Jenkins didn’t play more. Especially when Patrick got hurt. They were better tonight against what many consider one of the better front fours in the league. Payne, Allen and Sweat are all studs and Chase Young, if he could figure out how to play the run, appears to be healthy.

Overall that group played one of their better games last night.

So I never saw Butkus play, and aside from stories from my father, until YouTube I knew him as the basketball coach on the Saturday morning show Hang Time. Some of the stories have intrigued me, and I figure some of our *ahem* elder posters might be able to verify this one for me:

I have heard that while at Vocational, out of fear that he'd hurt his teammates, coaches had him running into trees instead of tackling.

Fact, or fiction?

(you can always lie to me and say fact, because this is a story I remember from childhood and none of you want to ruin that for me. Next you'll tell me Santa Claus isn't real.)

I was puzzled why Jenkins didn’t play more. Especially when Patrick got hurt. They were better tonight against what many consider one of the better front fours in the league. Payne, Allen and Sweat are all studs and Chase Young, if he could figure out how to play the run, appears to be healthy.

I also noticed in the preseason when Fields made big plays both Jenkins and Wright were in the game. We don't see all three of them playing at the same time very often.

Because the Bears aren't allowed to have nice things.

I can't remember if it was Allen or Payne, but life would have been much simpler if Washington had not franchised whichever one and the Bearss were able to sign a 3T in the offseason.

Tonight is a tough night for the Fields can’t play or throw crowd.
Fields had a fairly clean pocket most of the night. Going back to last year, he has been somewhere between pretty good to really good when that’s the case. Having some time as well as a weapon like Moore are necessary ingredients for all successful QBs. Fields is definitely not the problem. As far as position group areas for improvement, QB is down the list.

Yes, it's still on East 87th, although now it's called Chicago Vocational Career Academy. I don't know if it has football anymore. Maybe our CPL contingent can fill us in on its recent history.
One of their games was covered in the CPL Pickems or Thursday Games thread this week. They haven't been in the upper divisions since the early 2010s mostly due to a drastic enrollment decrease down to the 800-700 level from the 4k+ they used to have. Also rumors from time to time of Bowen (the default neighborhood HS since forever that maybe 3 of 15 kids on a block end up attending, that's using my childhood block of Clyde Ave as a measure) closing and merging into and vice versa.

Reactions: Silver Rain
So I never saw Butkus play, and aside from stories from my father, until YouTube I knew him as the basketball coach on the Saturday morning show Hang Time. Some of the stories have intrigued me, and I figure some of our *ahem* elder posters might be able to verify this one for me:

I have heard that while at Vocational, out of fear that he'd hurt his teammates, coaches had him running into trees instead of tackling.

Fact, or fiction?

(you can always lie to me and say fact, because this is a story I remember from childhood and none of you want to ruin that for me. Next you'll tell me Santa Claus isn't real.)
Yes, Rick Morrissey said in a farewell note that Butkus ran into trees, but maybe not to spare his teammates. I think it was because the trees were tougher than his teammates. I read somewhere else that he made 70% of the team's tackles. I also heard in the early '60s, when I was still in grammar school and he was already a South Side legend, that he'd push a car uphill for conditioning drills.

Guys, this is a win and any win is a good thing. Fields has played well the last two games and that is good too. But the Bears and Fields need to do a hell of a lot more to convince me. Fields has won some games. But he has lost a lot more. Fields has played well in some games. But he has played poorly in a lot more. These two games are a very small sample size against two pretty bad teams.

Like I said, a win is a good thing. When Fields plays well more consistently and against good defenses and good teams, and when the Bears start beating good teams I will take notice.

Yes and what many fail to realize is teams with bad offensive lines don’t win games. Go to the playoffs or win super bowls.
This. Reference Mahomes in Super Bowl LV. He looked like trash against a good front with his rag tag group of linemen that were still healthy.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
Anyone notice the connection between decent offensive line play and Fields success?
This is exactly why the Bears would have ruined Patrick Mahomes and he would be a second tier QB if he came here instead of Trubisky. Bad OL ruins good QBs, and the Bears have not addressed as much as they need to over the last 5-10 years.

Wright and Jenkins are good, need to get better. Fields needs to be consistent and missed some open throws which will kill them against top tier teams. Plenty of wood to chop here, nice to see them play a solid game and get a road win.

Fields had a fairly clean pocket most of the night. Going back to last year, he has been somewhere between pretty good to really good when that’s the case. Having some time as well as a weapon like Moore are necessary ingredients for all successful QBs. Fields is definitely not the problem. As far as position group areas for improvement, QB is down the list.
Fields was getting rid of the ball faster. That helps the O-Line

Reactions: Wassup13
This is exactly why the Bears would have ruined Patrick Mahomes and he would be a second tier QB if he came here instead of Trubisky. Bad OL ruins good QBs, and the Bears have not addressed as much as they need to over the last 5-10 years.

Wright and Jenkins are good, need to get better. Fields needs to be consistent and missed some open throws which will kill them against top tier teams. Plenty of wood to chop here, nice to see them play a solid game and get a road win.
Did you notice Fields was getting rid of the ball. Not holding it for 6 seconds? lol that help’s your O-Line

Fields was getting rid of the ball faster. That helps the O-Line
I agree those things are complimentary and that a QB can’t just hold the ball for 5-6+ seconds, but his pocket last night was very surprisingly clean.
I thought Getsy had a good game plan with his motion and play action, and the offense executed well.

Reactions: corey90

Jenkins was on a pitch count....

Reactions: Wassup13
Bears were back to their old self today. Fields had no time to throw and when he did he held the ball too long. The backup had a couple killer turnovers.

Bears were back to their old self today. Fields had no time to throw and when he did he held the ball too long. The backup had a couple killer turnovers.
Yep no rhythm whatsoever. Fields looked bad. Line allowed more pressure. Way too many bad snaps. Bagent had a decent drive, but allowed a defensive TD and the last pick was just awful.

I can't figure Fields out. Two good weeks and then back to where he was before.

USC QB had 3 picks vs ND.

I dont know what direction the Bears should go now. I'm beginning to believe we just don't know how to groom QBs.

Reactions: kkhawk

I dont know what direction the Bears should go now. I'm beginning to believe we just don't know how to groom QBs.
Have to agree. Maybe we stick with Bagent? Who knows. It was upset Sunday. 49ers & Eagles go down! So there’s that! 😂

Really, you're just now coming to the conclusion the Bears can't develop QB's? There are records that Sid Luckman still holds! The Bears are the only team to never have a 4,000 yard passer in a season. With their two top 5 picks they need to take Marvin Harrison Jr. with one and trade back and draft Penix with the other. Caleb Williams is a smaller Fields and Maye could be good but I prefer the season Penix has been having. Also need an OC who doesn't call plays for the Bears like he's still working for the Packers.

What makes this nightmare even worse is it’s hard to pinpoint what is the biggest need. Tempting to take a QB and start the clock all over. But behind this 5, he wouldn’t survive.

That’s why I think it’ll be interesting to see what they do with the Bagent kid. With fields likely down with the dislocated thumb, they may just ride this kid and see what happens.

At times today he looked like he knew what he was doing. Then there was the pick and fumble.

What makes this nightmare even worse is it’s hard to pinpoint what is the biggest need. Tempting to take a QB and start the clock all over. But behind this 5, he wouldn’t survive.

That’s why I think it’ll be interesting to see what they do with the Bagent kid. With fields likely down with the dislocated thumb, they may just ride this kid and see what happens.

At times today he looked like he knew what he was doing. Then there was the pick and fumble.
He got the ball out quickly after the fumble. On the interception, he could not step into the throw and did not need to force that on first down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT