ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

So far I am not impressed with our draft picks. None appear to be impact players. Maybe the OT from TN. On paper all appear to be pretty much role players. I hope the Bears do something in free agency to add a couple impact players to go along with these young guys. It’s kinda of weird we went from having the #1 pick in the draft and we really didn’t get one player that would wow anyone. Seems like same old Bears. Hopefully one or two of these guys are a diamonds in the rough. I am a huge Bears fan so I am trying to be patient and give this management team a chance so I will wait and see.

Darnell Wright doesn't wow you? Zero sacks allowed last year. The Vols scored half a hundred on Alabama and Will Anderson, who did NOTHING against him. Yeah, the Bears, who allowed 55 sacks, didn't need a dominant offensive lineman like this. What will wow you exactly? Who should the Bears have picked? Clearly, you are a smarter football mind than Ryan Poles and his staff.

Somewhere in this feed someone said Poles is not drafting dudes....you have it wrong he is drafting DUDES! He is drafting dudes that were always dudes. I heard an analyst say over the weekend that he is taking the Seattle Seahawks approach from the early 2010's drafting guys that might not have been developed fully by their college coaches but were 5 and 4 stars coming out of high school.

Wright 5 star
Dexter 5 star
Stevenson 4 star
Pickens 5 star
Johnson 4 star
Scott 4 star
Sewell 5 star
Smith 3 star
Bell 2 star

I believe in this administration and coaching staff. The roster was depleted and in BAD shape those are Poles words this is going to take time.

Reactions: Gene K.
Jalen Carter might end up being a great NFL player but every indication is he has a troubled past. I heard all weekends reports that the UGA staff was not complimentary of him and even some former teammates. The Bears are not in a position to draft a player like that. They need a stable player that can be part of the organization for years to come. Philly took a chance because they can.....hopefully the Bears can in a few years.

Reactions: pjjp
Well rather than this new coaching staff we as Bears fans have been waiting since 1985. Let’s not go all soft on them for doing what many before them have done in the draft. I am not giving them a pass saying it’s only been 1 year. You must be out of your mind. I will watch to see how improved the Bears are this season you can continue to wait for 2024 and watch them fumble that draft away again by trading away picks that could have been different makers. .
Corey: I am usually a "wait and see" kind of guy when it comes to the draft because every guy drafted is unproven by NFL standards. Sure, some did very well in college. But we know about 50% of the first round picks fall with a thud when trying to get to and produce at this level. We also know there are sleepers in the draft every year.

This isn't an easy task and I have always said the toughest thing about scouting is trying to project where a player will be in the future. It's hard.

You seem a little impatient. But, you brought up the 1985 Bears. I will remind you when Mike Ditka took over that team in 1982, I would argue he had a better starting point compared to where the Bears are today. He told his players to give him three years. I know in today's NFL teams go from bad to good, in general, in a shorter period of time. But the 2022 Bears were one of the worst teams the organization has had in our lifetimes.

The Bears had a ton of holes from 2022 and anyone who thinks you can plug all those holes in one draft hasn't been watching much of the team's games. The Bears need players. Lots of players who can hopefully plug some of those holes this year and next.

I am still skeptical of the Bears as an organization and past evidence makes it that way. But, I do like what I see so far with this draft for the most part. There are people who say Fields needs protection. Then when they draft an OT you have other people saying their run defense was the worst in the league last year. That is what I mean by all the holes that need plugging.

But carry on. I am enjoying your posts. :)

Didn't Ditka have all kinds of different personalities to deal with on that Super Bowl team?

Do we need a Ditka as head coach to handle just one guy, Carter to keep him under control because this guy is a possible star?

How many stars do you need on your football team now to win a Super Bowl?

Didn't Ditka have all kinds of different personalities to deal with on that Super Bowl team?

Do we need a Ditka as head coach to handle just one guy, Carter to keep him under control because this guy is a possible star?

How many stars do you need on your football team now to win a Super Bowl?
You are talking about a completely different time period from when Ditka coached to the present day. You can't compare that part of it to today's athletes or society. I am talking about the starting point...wins and losses and talent or lack of. And a guy like Ditka couldn't coach in today's game.

Corey: I am usually a "wait and see" kind of guy when it comes to the draft because every guy drafted is unproven by NFL standards. Sure, some did very well in college. But we know about 50% of the first round picks fall with a thud when trying to get to and produce at this level. We also know there are sleepers in the draft every year.

This isn't an easy task and I have always said the toughest thing about scouting is trying to project where a player will be in the future. It's hard.

You seem a little impatient. But, you brought up the 1985 Bears. I will remind you when Mike Ditka took over that team in 1982, I would argue he had a better starting point compared to where the Bears are today. He told his players to give him three years. I know in today's NFL teams go from bad to good, in general, in a shorter period of time. But the 2022 Bears were one of the worst teams the organization has had in our lifetimes.

The Bears had a ton of holes from 2022 and anyone who thinks you can plug all those holes in one draft hasn't been watching much of the team's games. The Bears need players. Lots of players who can hopefully plug some of those holes this year and next.

I am still skeptical of the Bears as an organization and past evidence makes it that way. But, I do like what I see so far with this draft for the most part. There are people who say Fields needs protection. Then when they draft an OT you have other people saying their run defense was the worst in the league last year. That is what I mean by all the holes that need plugging.

But carry on. I am enjoying your posts. :)
LTHS
I hear you and agree for the most part. I am a bit impatient because of past history. I am in know way saying the TN OT doesn’t have the talent to be a good OT in the NFL. He better since he was drafted in the 1st round top 10. That said it just was a bit of a let down from having a #1 pick and we had a so so draft. I hope some of these guys will be different makers. Just remember the Bears as an organization are cheap. They showed how cheap when they dismantled up that 85 team . Some of us fans don’t forget.

Reactions: PRokie
LTHS
I hear you and agree for the most part. I am a bit impatient because of past history. I am in know way saying the TN OT doesn’t have the talent to be a good OT in the NFL. He better since he was drafted in the 1st round top 10. That said it just was a bit of a let down from having a #1 pick and we had a so so draft. I hope some of these guys will be different makers. Just remember the Bears as an organization are cheap. They showed how cheap when they dismantled up that 85 team . Some of us fans don’t forget.
But, it's not just "we got the OT from Tenn for the #1 pick"

It's also:
2023 second round pick (CB from Miami)
1st round pick in 2024
2nd round pick in 2024
DJ Moore (legit WR)

If Fields plays well this season, they have 2 first and 2 second round picks to add pieces around him in 2024
If Fields is bad this season (or mediocre enough that they decide to move on), they have the picks next year to move into position to pick whatever QB they want.

Reactions: Cross Bones

It's also:
1st round pick in 2024
2nd round pick in 2024
DJ Moore (legit WR)

If Fields plays well this season, they have 2 first and 2 second round picks to add pieces around him in 2024
If Fields is bad this season (or mediocre enough that they decide to move on), they have the picks next year to move into position to pick whatever QB they want.
You’re right but let’s see what they do this year and then next year. I don’t have a lot of confidence in the Bears brass but I am trying. The other big factor to consider is the Bears are cheap.

LTHS
The “Bears are cheap” narrative is just not true. It’s 2023 btw, the league is totally different.

The “Bears are cheap” narrative is just not true. It’s 2023 btw, the league is totally different.
They are very cheap! Have been and still are. Sure the Bears will pay a couple players but if they build a team that is SB worthy they won’t keep the team together because they won’t pay what they are worth! It’s they way they do things.

You only get limited opportunities to draft potential difference makers. The Bears passed on Mahomes, passed on Carter and who knows who is next in 2024.

Reactions: corey90
I might be the only one not high on Carter. After his horrible Pro day I was pretty put off by him. Maybe getting back with some former Dawgs will help.
You're not alone. I hope I am wrong about him as a person, but I wish he would have followed another 1st round pick in staying out of the spotlight for the draft. IMHO, too soon to be standing on a stage basking in the glory of being a top 10 pick when your most recent headlines appeared in the paper for the wrong reasons. Could have had a much better public showing by being heard but not seen. I hope Philly supports and guides him to be a gracious and humble pro. The irony is that the other first rounder had no reason to stay out of the spotlight, just pure humility and privacy. #respectthat

Reactions: Gene K. and PRokie

It's also:
1st round pick in 2024
2nd round pick in 2024
DJ Moore (legit WR)

Agree. The draft is such a crapshoot I like getting as many picks as possible, trying to pick smart, and hoping more pan out than crap out. Especially when you have so many needs. That said they could've gone for an edge rusher instead of a 3rd DT.

They are very cheap! Have been and still are. Sure the Bears will pay a couple players but if they build a team that is SB worthy they won’t keep the team together because they won’t pay what they are worth! It’s they way they do things.
That’s just not true…

I have no idea how the Bears compare to other teams in terms of money spent scouting/coaches/etc. Maybe they are cheap there?

All the teams spend +/- the same money on players. Teams might leave a little bit unspent, but looking at 2022 final cap #'s, the difference between highest (Saints) and #30 (Broncos) was about $9 mil. The giant blob in the middle (Bears included), are all within a few mil of each other.

Superbowl teams are usually QB's on rookie deals (cheap), with more expensive pieces around them, or established QB's ($$$$), with less expensive pieces around them. Bears best chance now is Fields becomes a star (and becomes expensive), and all the picks this year and next are contributing (and cheap).

That’s just not true…
100 percent correct. The (insert NFL team here) are just cheap and not committed to winning is always a false flag. As was mentioned, almost all teams spend approximately the same on players. What is different is how it is spent. That is a matter of wisdom and future forecasting, not one of commitment to trying to spend/win.

Anyone cut or not resigned is almost always a reality of coming up against the salary cap and needing to stay within that cap number. That is why it is so important to try to win when an elite QB is on a rookie deal. Because once that elite QB hits year 4/5 and gets paid like the elite QB they are, then the organization has less room under the cap to give that QB weapons and a defense.

The Bears have not been cheap. Inept? At times, sure. But not cheap. At least not in regards to player signings.

100 percent correct. The (insert NFL team here) are just cheap and not committed to winning is always a false flag. As was mentioned, almost all teams spend approximately the same on players. What is different is how it is spent. That is a matter of wisdom and future forecasting, not one of commitment to trying to spend/win.

Anyone cut or not resigned is almost always a reality of coming up against the salary cap and needing to stay within that cap number. That is why it is so important to try to win when an elite QB is on a rookie deal. Because once that elite QB hits year 4/5 and gets paid like the elite QB they are, then the organization has less room under the cap to give that QB weapons and a defense.

The Bears have not been cheap. Inept? At times, sure. But not cheap. At least not in regards to player signings.
The Bears have had one of the lowest cost scouting departments in the nfl for a while. Players aren’t the only equation into team costs and investing for success. I don’t think the McCaskey’s cheapness is the reason for the bears lack of success however.

The Bears have had one of the lowest cost scouting departments in the nfl for a while. Players aren’t the only equation into team costs and investing for success. I don’t think the McCaskey’s cheapness is the reason for the bears lack of success however.
Yes the cost of a scouting operations dept. may play a role. A bigger role is probably the choice of GM, which the Bears have gotten wrong several times in a row. Hoping that has changed. Either way, it is organizational functionality more than investment that has been hindering success.

Hopefully when the family sells after Arlington Heights is further along they sell to a Steve Cohen-like owner who will sink limitless resources into the operation. It won't change their on field salary investment, but would improve training resources, support staff, and scouting resources. That will all be nice and helpful, but like you said, that is not the reason they have not won recently. Those are just the important things that help winning organizations become great.

In baseball those resources can take a team from bottom to top. In football, those additional resources are more muted because you can't spend them on players. But having them and deploying them wisely makes the organization function better.

Reactions: Gene K. and stl705
You're not alone. I hope I am wrong about him as a person, but I wish he would have followed another 1st round pick in staying out of the spotlight for the draft. IMHO, too soon to be standing on a stage basking in the glory of being a top 10 pick when your most recent headlines appeared in the paper for the wrong reasons. Could have had a much better public showing by being heard but not seen. I hope Philly supports and guides him to be a gracious and humble pro. The irony is that the other first rounder had no reason to stay out of the spotlight, just pure humility and privacy. #respectthat
Or maybe one is very confident and the other isn’t?

I have no idea how the Bears compare to other teams in terms of money spent scouting/coaches/etc. Maybe they are cheap there?

All the teams spend +/- the same money on players. Teams might leave a little bit unspent, but looking at 2022 final cap #'s, the difference between highest (Saints) and #30 (Broncos) was about $9 mil. The giant blob in the middle (Bears included), are all within a few mil of each other.

Superbowl teams are usually QB's on rookie deals (cheap), with more expensive pieces around them, or established QB's ($$$$), with less expensive pieces around them. Bears best chance now is Fields becomes a star (and becomes expensive), and all the picks this year and next are contributing (and cheap).
I have told this story before and for some who didn’t see it I will tell it again. I was on vacation with the family in Florida. We were out at the hotel pool sitting at the bar kids swimming having a good time. Along comes a couple of guys from the beach area. As I looked up at the guy sitting next to me I couldn’t help but notice it was Mike Alsott. He was hanging out after just doing a radio show. Mike was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Yes this was the year they won the superbowl. Great guy very humble. He was actually trying to keep a low profile so not to be bothered. We talked a little about how TB was doing and his role with the team. Mike couldn’t have been more down to earth. I asked him why he never played for the Bears being an Illinois guy. He told me he was a big Bears fan growing up. His words, he would never play for the Bears and he said it wasn’t because the fans. He said the fans in Chicago are great. The Bears ownership is horrible and they are cheap. Sure they will pay the star or two, but all you have to do is look at what they did with the 85 team once they had to resign players that were deserving.

Last edited:
Can we move on from the '85 Bears now??? "The best team ever" won 1 superbowl, 38 YEARS AGO! There are a few that were alive, but there isn't a current NFL player with actual memories of the '85 Bears.

Don't mean to change the topic but watching NBA basketball.

Talk about local young stars from our area, that Jayson Brunson on the Knicks is fun to watch. I wish he were on the Bulls.
I feel like Thibs will destroy his knees like Thibs is known to do ie Rose Deng & Levine.

Can we move on from the '85 Bears now??? "The best team ever" won 1 superbowl, 38 YEARS AGO! There are a few that were alive, but there isn't a current NFL player with actual memories of the '85 Bears.
Sure we can move on from the 1985 Bears...just as soon as they finally win another SB which won't be for a while now. In a way you're making Corey's point. Because it goes to show just how awful the McCaskeys have been all these years.

If the Bears management wasn’t so cheap and would have resigned players they could have won several more. Okay now I will move on. 🤣

If the Bears management wasn’t so cheap and would have resigned players they could have won several more. Okay now I will move on. 🤣
Corey, Speaking of sh*tty owners...Rick Morrissey has an outstanding column in today's Sun Times where he rips Jerry Reinsdorf. This follows another outstanding column written yesterday in the Sun Times by Lawrence Holmes in which he did the same thing. I cannot stand Reinsdorf. The guy is a thief and a liar. And I always go back to what Harry Caray once said years ago about him. "I didn't like Jerry Reinsdorf and I didn't trust him" Harry was spot on.

Corey, Speaking of sh*tty owners...Rick Morrissey has an outstanding column in today's Sun Times where he rips Jerry Reinsdorf. This follows another outstanding column written yesterday in the Sun Times by Lawrence Holmes in which he did the same thing. I cannot stand Reinsdorf. The guy is a thief and a liar. And I always go back to what Harry Caray once said years ago about him. "I didn't like Jerry Reinsdorf and I didn't trust him" Harry was spot on.
Lol
Agree totally. It’s hard be a Sox fan or a Cubs fan. Let’s face it ownership in ship in Chicago is tough no matter what sport. 👎
Harry Caray was great! Love he was being him. Definitely was afraid to have a few! Lol

And in the least surprising news of the day the Bears big offseason hire is totally incompetent at his job. Is the really surprising it’s kinda what the Bears do. Big 10 going to pay $40 million to get out of this mess.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gene K.
Can you imagine the deals that Kevin Warren is going to cut for the Bears. At the end of the day it will be the full employment act for attorneys.

Switching gears just a little. I have gone on about what a disappointment the Sox have been in the past several years. In my rantings I swore I wasn't going to another game until Reinsdorf gets serious about winning. I wasn't going to waste my time and money.

So, my son sent a text saying he'd like to take me to a game sometime before Father's Day to celebrate. I said NO, I am not wasting my time!! THEN, a few minutes later, he sends another saying he will be taking my two Grandsons and of course it's their first game in person. Immediately, I sent one back saying "I'm in!"

Yeah, he knew exactly how to get me there. 😂😂

Switching gears just a little. I have gone on about what a disappointment the Sox have been in the past several years. In my rantings I swore I wasn't going to another game until Reinsdorf gets serious about winning. I wasn't going to waste my time and money.

So, my son sent a text saying he'd like to take me to a game sometime before Father's Day to celebrate. I said NO, I am not wasting my time!! THEN, a few minutes later, he sends another saying he will be taking my two Grandsons and of course it's their first game in person. Immediately, I sent one back saying "I'm in!"

Yeah, he knew exactly how to get me there. 😂😂
I actually was kicking a soccer ball around this past weekend with my 4 year old granddaughter in California. Don't tell anyone.

Demo starting at Arlington Park, doesn’t mean it’s 100% but it’s starting.
But even if the Bears end up playing in Soldier Field for another 100 years, the demo will happen. Whatever that property becomes, it won't be another horse track.

But even if the Bears end up playing in Soldier Field for another 100 years, the demo will happen. Whatever that property becomes, it won't be another horse track.
I meant it's not 100% Bears build a stadium on the site.
But yes, no matter what, the racetrack will be gone soon.

"Chicago Bears officials met with Naperville Mayor Scott Wehrli Friday morning to discuss the possibility of abandoning their plans for a new stadium development in Arlington Heights in favor of building it in Naperville."

"There remains outstanding questions on the team getting certainty on property tax limits and public subsidies to help build infrastructure for the project."

The latest episode from the soap opera staring the McCaskey family.
We get it, the Bears want us to chip in for their new stadium at the least cost to them.

Unfortunately for the McCaskey's, history has shown us that the projections as to benefits to the communities where new stadiums are built are pie in the sky and the tax payers end up with the short end of the stick.

Reactions: Gene K. and stl705
"Chicago Bears officials met with Naperville Mayor Scott Wehrli Friday morning to discuss the possibility of abandoning their plans for a new stadium development in Arlington Heights in favor of building it in Naperville."

"There remains outstanding questions on the team getting certainty on property tax limits and public subsidies to help build infrastructure for the project."

The latest episode from the soap opera staring the McCaskey family.
We get it, the Bears want us to chip in for their new stadium at the least cost to them.

Unfortunately for the McCaskey's, history has shown us that the projections as to benefits to the communities where new stadiums are built are pie in the sky and the tax payers end up with the short end of the stick.
If Vallas had won, the Bears would be talking to the City again

Agree broncoman, make the Bears pay! I don’t see how or more importantly where the Bears would consider a stadium in Naperville, but sounds more like an “open for business” signal.

Make the McCaskeys pay for the stadium AND the taxes. They haven’t given fans anything since they’ve owned the team.

This is all you need to know about the economic benefit of an NFL team on the community it is located in;
“The typical baseball team has no more impact on the local economy than a mid-sized department store and a football team, which is there for only eight or nine games per year, has even less,” said Micheal Leeds, a sports economist with Temple University and co-author of the book “The Economics of Sports.”

As I understand it, the Bears and the NFL are going to pay for the stadium in Arlington Heights. At the same time the Bears want 40 years of their property tax assessment frozen. Plus the Bears want the surrounding communities to pay for infrastructure improvements etc. All this for 9 games a year and whoever the Bears can rent the stadium out to. In the end, if the stadium is built in Arlington Heights, Arlington Heights, and the surrounding communities tax payers may wish that the Bears stayed at Soldier Field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT