ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Figured there'd be a lot of angst over this pick. I'd have been thrilled with Carter, too, but Wright is a tremendous player. The dude didn't allow a sack! The Vols put up a half a hundred on Will Anderson and Bama. Tackle was a HUGE need and that unit it slowly becoming a strength of the team now. Get me a a center and a couple defensive linemen tonight, and we will be cooking.

For those bitching about only getting a fourth, the draft trade value chart is easily accessible with a Google search. Pick nine is worth 50 more points than 10. The fourth round pick values are anywhere between 44 and 112 points, so that was a fair value deal. They have 10 picks this year. Nothing wrong with starting to stockpile picks for next year. I appreciate the fact we have a GM that values the draft. It's refreshing.

Nothing wrong with starting to stockpile picks for next year. I appreciate the fact we have a GM that values the draft. It's refreshing.
No doubt. I thought the same thing. In association with that, he seems to have a long term vision for the franchise and makes moves based on his long term plan. Didn't seem as if his predecessor was a long term type of GM. He was more reactionary.

For those bitching about only getting a fourth, the draft trade value chart is easily accessible with a Google search. Pick nine is worth 50 more points than 10. The fourth round pick values are anywhere between 44 and 112 points, so that was a fair value deal. They have 10 picks this year. Nothing wrong with starting to stockpile picks for next year. I appreciate the fact we have a GM that values the draft. It's refreshing.
I'll admit, getting a 4th seemed light in the moment, but there were a few other trades, and 4th round pick was the price. Steelers moved up 3 spots (from 17 to 14), giving up a 4th.

With the 53rd pick the Chicago Bears select: Adetomiwa Adebawore/DE/Northwestern
With the 61st pick the Chicago Bears select: John Michael Schmitz/C/Minnesota
with the 64th pick the Chicago Bears select: Zach Pickens/DT/South Carolina

How do you let a team in the Super Bowl win the draft?

Eagles stealing Carter.
If he comes in and plays to his talent level, it's a steal. (Warren Sapp comp)
If he comes in starts drag racing around Philly, it's a bad pick (Henry Ruggs comp)

Eagles are in a much better position than the Bears to deal with the downside too.

Reactions: Gene K.
I must say I feel privileged to be in the presence of so many guys who are so cocksure about the future as the draft is going on. I am talking about some of you...not all of you.

But since some of you know so much and are so sure about the future maybe you can help me. Can you give me the winning numbers for the Power Ball drawing tomorrow? It would be greatly appreciated.

Carter has a lot of red flags with the off season incident plus the fact that he emailed in his performance against Ohio State and then gained a bunch of weight and couldn’t even finish basic drills at a pro day. Red flags. I was definitely intrigued by him but I’m happy with the pick. Plus I can see him being a hold out too for money saying he should have been drafted higher. You saved money moving down a slot and you filled a giant need. We got 2 probable high picks next year, we can address it then

Reactions: PowerI66
You saved money moving down a slot and you filled a giant need. We got 2 probable high picks next year, we can address it then
I like the pick too. We shall see how he does. One of the toughest things to be is patient as a fan. I like how Poles is chipping away at all their issues. He dumped a number of bad contracts in the first year. Now he's filling in what he can via free agency and the draft. He inherited a mess from Pace. He's in Year 2 of a 3 to 4-year rebuild, IMO.

Reactions: McCaravan
Poles is doing a good job. He addressed the interior line on both sides of the ball with the first three of four picks.

He is building the team by the book starting with the lines on both sides of the ball. We have not seen this done in Chicago for decades.

Last edited:
I might be the only one not high on Carter. After his horrible Pro day I was pretty put off by him. Maybe getting back with some former Dawgs will help.

Reactions: kkhawk and stl705
I might be the only one not high on Carter. After his horrible Pro day I was pretty put off by him. Maybe getting back with some former Dawgs will help.
I’m with you, too much talent in top 10 to take Carter imo. I like the Wright pick. Like the DT from Florida also. I still don’t know where Da Bears will find a pass rush tho.

Poles is kind of doing what I thought he would do. Draft dudes. This roster for the most part is devoid of talent. By drafting linemen he is fulfilling the prophecy of Jim Finks - build from the lines out.

I’d expect a couple o linemen today and a couple edge guys then expect them to get a veteran or two to wide the pass rush.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they kick the tires in a Chase Young trade. Clowney would be nice but his career has been kind of a nothing burger.

The kid from Indy is still there and there are a few others. This team isn’t ready to win just yet but they will be markedly better this season.

Figured there'd be a lot of angst over this pick. I'd have been thrilled with Carter, too, but Wright is a tremendous player. The dude didn't allow a sack! The Vols put up a half a hundred on Will Anderson and Bama. Tackle was a HUGE need and that unit it slowly becoming a strength of the team now. Get me a a center and a couple defensive linemen tonight, and we will be cooking.

I am okay with the pick if it works out because we need good OTs. The difference is I felt Carter was a sure bet, obviously the Eagles thought the same way. Anyway the picks tonight have to be really good. We can talk about how they are building the team for the future but in order to be better for the future you have to draft talented players, something the Bears have been horrible at doing . Time will tell if this new regime will be better at getting talent from the lower rounds of the draft. The one thing I get tired of seeing is average talent on the Bears. We don’t need average players we need above average players. So far it looks like they are drafting positions of need, let’s hope they have enough talent to be different makers in the NFL.

Wasn’t real excited with today’s picks. Thought the Texas RB in the 4th round was an unnecessary reach. The Cincy WR looks good. I would have thought another OL would be the way to go. But the one thing I’ve learned over the years is it’s not about drafting the best available players, but drafting the best players for your system

Reactions: Cross Bones
So far I am not impressed with our draft picks. None appear to be impact players. Maybe the OT from TN. On paper all appear to be pretty much role players. I hope the Bears do something in free agency to add a couple impact players to go along with these young guys. It’s kinda of weird we went from having the #1 pick in the draft and we really didn’t get one player that would wow anyone. Seems like same old Bears. Hopefully one or two of these guys are a diamonds in the rough. I am a huge Bears fan so I am trying to be patient and give this management team a chance so I will wait and see.

Reactions: PRokie
So far I am not impressed with our draft picks. None appear to be impact players. Maybe the OT from TN. On paper all appear to be pretty much role players. I hope the Bears do something in free agency to add a couple impact players to go along with these young guys. It’s kinda of weird we went from having the #1 pick in the draft and we really didn’t get one player that would wow anyone. Seems like same old Bears. Hopefully one or two of these guys are a diamonds in the rough. I am a huge Bears fan so I am trying to be patient and give this management team a chance so I will wait and see.
I give it a B. Linemen aren’t the most exciting picks but they’re essential. I thought Wright was a great pick and I really liked the DL picks they got in day 2. Trading that #1 pick got us DJ Moore and Carolinas #1 pick next year, which I’m guessing with a rookie QB and rebuild will be a top 10, maybe top 5 pick along with our likely high pick. I see a 8-9 season in 23 and playoffs in 24.

I give it a B. Linemen aren’t the most exciting picks but they’re essential. I thought Wright was a great pick and I really liked the DL picks they got in day 2. Trading that #1 pick got us DJ Moore and Carolinas #1 pick next year, which I’m guessing with a rookie QB and rebuild will be a top 10, maybe top 5 pick along with our likely high pick. I see a 8-9 season in 23 and playoffs in 24.
You might be right. I do like getting DJ Moore and the #1 pick next year

How many star players does this team have?

Our QB is a star running the football.

I'm skeptical on Moore but I never watch Carolina? Skeptical about good players playing on bad teams.

I think Carter had the ability to close out games on defense but we let him get away.

How many star players does this team have?

Our QB is a star running the football.

I'm skeptical on Moore but I never watch Carolina? Skeptical about good players playing on bad teams.

I think Carter had the ability to close out games on defense but we let him get away.
His numbers look good I agree about Carter. I think he will play like he has chip on his shoulder because he was passed up. Don’t get me wrong he seriously fu#ked up and he will have to live with himself but he is a beast.

Last edited:
With the 53rd pick the Chicago Bears select: Adetomiwa Adebawore/DE/Northwestern
With the 61st pick the Chicago Bears select: John Michael Schmitz/C/Minnesota
with the 64th pick the Chicago Bears select: Zach Pickens/DT/South Carolina
1 out of 3 ain’t bad. You’re better than most mock draft “experts.”

I was okay with the picks except maybe the CBs. Worst run D in the L they needed to do something about it.

I was okay with the picks except maybe the CBs. Worst run D in the L they needed to do something about it.
Well they past on the best DT that was available in Carter so theirs that. I know they got more picks for the future but I guess different makers don’t matter. The Bears went the route of more picks not best talent. I guess they never heard the term less is more.
We loaded up on a bunch of players and none of them are considered can’t miss. We decided to fill holes with a hope and a prayer that one them will turn out. I feel this is a ploy and somewhat the norm for the Bears. They got a bunch of picks to save face and they don’t have to fork over any huge contracts. Hum seems familiar. Just saying. I don’t have a lot trust in the Bears brass. The Bears had the #1 pick then the #9 pick traded both and walked away from the draft with not one impact player on paper. I have a hard time getting excited about that and obviously the rest of the NFL feels the same way. I don’t see any of their picks being talked about, that says enough. O and they made the Eagles look like geniuses with their draft picks.

Why is he a pos?
I admit, based on that lovely comment, I searched up Walkers news feed and hometown, and it was clean + he's from Huntington WV...not Memphis, ATL, Florida or PGC. Dude might be based as the kids say. Otherwise, produce the darn receipts!

Well they past on the best DT that was available in Carter so theirs that. I know they got more picks for the future but I guess different makers don’t matter. The Bears went the route of more picks not best talent. I guess they never heard the term less is more.
We loaded up on a bunch of players and none of them are considered can’t miss. We decided to fill holes with a hope and a prayer that one them will turn out. I feel this is a ploy and somewhat the norm for the Bears. They got a bunch of picks to save face and they don’t have to fork over any huge contracts. Hum seems familiar. Just saying. I don’t have a lot trust in the Bears brass. The Bears had the #1 pick then the #9 pick traded both and walked away from the draft with not one impact player on paper. I have a hard time getting excited about that and obviously the rest of the NFL feels the same way. I don’t see any of their picks being talked about, that says enough. O and they made the Eagles look like geniuses with their draft picks.
Can't miss is just a saying, it doesn't actually mean anything. If it did, you wouldn't see so many "busts"

Can't miss is just a saying, it doesn't actually mean anything. If it did, you wouldn't see so many "busts"
I agree but we didn’t get any drafts that were high on anyone’s radar. Maybe the OT from TN but even he is a stretch. All I am saying is the picks didn’t excite me. They filled needs with averages players to replace average players they already have. Time will tell if any of them can be different makers in the NFL.

Corey I hear what you are saying, but I don’t mind the Bears draft. They turned the #1 pick into:

1.) Young top 10 WR under contract.
2.) Wright who looks to be a solid starting RT.
3.) Likely starting DT Dexter. Dexter had 2 straight seasons with 50+ tackles. Carter had 83 in 3 years.
4.) Shot at potential nickel CB. Not counting on him.
5.) Just as important as all of the above, 2024 1st rd pick could be great with a stacked class. Also 2025 2nd rd.

Moore WR is elite. Wright well see. 2024 is another big shot gamble at an elite player.

I dont think anyone in football is "can't miss". Honestly, even the ones that apparently miss is probably due to the system/coaches because these guys getting drafted are the top of the top in college, so they don't suck by definition. That said, I am okay with more picks because I see it more like a lottery than anything.

The Bears had a defensive line that had the least sacks in football so they reached and took two run stuffers who have no pass rush skills in a pass heavy league. They got a good pick in the first but after that they got guys that will be role players. This is pretty much why the Bears have been a bottom tier team for 30 years and will continue to be. On the positive I will have this thread for laughs during the season.

Bears got players that currently play in their system and fill the needs for their defensive scheme. They also got 2 high profile linebackers in free agency and a couple of other DE and DT that will help out. There is still a lot of talent out there too that teams have been waiting on and we have a ton of money still. We saved big money taking Wright over Carter trust me. Carter is going to want top 5 pick money as his draft stock slipped. Bears aren’t done yet.

How many teammates actually showed up for Bo Callahan’s birthday party?????
He was too drunk to remember....or like Coach said “Maybe the Cops keep their names off because they didn’t want to get good kids in trouble for nothing, but you stick with your story, the QB and Captain of the team had nobody show at his Birthday party, that sounds right!”

• Haha
Reactions: crusader_of_90
This was never going to be fixed in one year. They have money and picks next year to fill needs they couldn’t fill this year.
Well rather than this new coaching staff we as Bears fans have been waiting since 1985. Let’s not go all soft on them for doing what many before them have done in the draft. I am not giving them a pass saying it’s only been 1 year. You must be out of your mind. I will watch to see how improved the Bears are this season you can continue to wait for 2024 and watch them fumble that draft away again by trading away picks that could have been different makers. .

Well rather than this new coaching staff we as Bears fans have been waiting since 1985. Let’s not go all soft on them for doing what many before them have done in the draft. I am not giving them a pass saying it’s only been 1 year. You must be out of your mind. I will watch to see how improved the Bears are this season you can continue to wait for 2024 and watch them fumble that draft away again by trading away picks that could have been different makers. .
Ok then….

I admit, based on that lovely comment, I searched up Walkers news feed and hometown, and it was clean + he's from Huntington WV...not Memphis, ATL, Florida or PGC. Dude might be based as the kids say. Otherwise, produce the darn receipts!
Yeah, I follow the draft pretty closely and I don’t remember seeing any character concerns.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT