ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Wide open receivers? Um yah guys were wide open but pretty hard to see the guys that were open when you’re basically on your back.

Far from the reason why they lost -
But in the NFL, if QB play is in the top 5 "list of issues", you aren't winning consistently.

It's a made-up stat, but saw this last night.
Career games with 200 yds passing and 3 TD's

Love: 1 (2 starts)
Fields: 0 (27 starts)

It's a long season, and one way or the other, we'll hopefully know about Fields by the end of it.
1. He does well, he'll get paid, and be the future.
2. He struggles, the Bears will lose a lot of games and have 2 high first round picks to turn into the next "future Bears QB".
3. Worst case scenario would be him being just good enough to to leave questions about what to do.

But in the NFL, if QB play is in the top 5 "list of issues", you aren't winning consistently.

It's a made-up stat, but saw this last night.
Career games with 200 yds passing and 3 TD's

Love: 1 (2 starts)
Fields: 0 (27 starts)

It's a long season, and one way or the other, we'll hopefully know about Fields by the end of it.
1. He does well, he'll get paid, and be the future.
2. He struggles, the Bears will lose a lot of games and have 2 high first round picks to turn into the next "future Bears QB".
3. Worst case scenario would be him being just good enough to to leave questions about what to do.
I will bet this is the winner right here, the fact that he is a great athlete and can use his feet blurs the question since people fall in love with the scrambles.

Reactions: penlight
How can Brock Purdy be light years ahead of Fields ?
I am glad you brought him up. I was going to. Purdy was the last guy picked in the draft last year. Let that sink in. Not only did he win several games in a row last year, he looked good again yesterday. And, most importantly, the QB the 49ers drafted in the first round to start, Trey Lance, was traded.

Maybe Purdy knows how to read a defense and Fields still doesn't. If that is true, Fields will never know how to read a defense. Yesterday I heard a very good ex QB say "reading a defense well is something that can't really be taught." He felt guys are born with that talent. "Either you know how or you don't."

Couple of thoughts on yesterday.

Scheme-wise this team was dreadfully over-matched.

One difference I noticed was the front Green Bay played.

They initially started in a base 4-3 but as the game wore on they employed a lot of 5 man fronts. What made this interesting is they took their ends and pitched them into a wide 7 or wide 9 technique.

What this does is it prevents running quarterbacks from getting the edge.

It was a brilliant strategy and one Getsy and the offense didn’t combat.

That may be as bad a performance by the OL and DL as I’ve ever seen and that’s saying a lot.

Real easy to pick on Fields but you gotta put JC himself back there and the results would’ve been the same.

Just stunned on how unprepared this team was. Maybe stop talking about how good you think you are and prove it.

Reactions: brucealmighy
How can Brock Purdy be light years ahead of Fields ?
Beat running back in the game
Highest graded offensive line in the league.
Top 10 TE WR
Best DL in the league
Best LB in the league

Pretty easy to be good when you take snaps behind Trent Williams, can hand the ball off to Christian MCCaffery and throw it to George Kittle and Deebo Samuel.

Top 10 TE WR
Best DL in the league
Best LB in the league

Pretty easy to be good when you take snaps behind Trent Williams, can hand the ball off to Christian MCCaffery and throw it to George Kittle and Deebo Samuel.
I will say it again. Trey Lance had the same thing Purdy has. Lance is gone and Purdy is the man now. QB still has to know what he's doing and produce. My hunch there is Purdy is a better reader of defenses and better in the pocket. In the end that is what wins games, not a QB running around all over the place.

Wide open receivers? Um yah guys were wide open but pretty hard to see the guys that were open when you’re basically on your back.

Far from the reason why they lost -
You are giving this guy too much cover. I didn't see much improvement at all in Fields from the first game last year up to yesterday. Maybe you are seeing something I am not. But, this is the year. If he doesn't get better than this...I mean much better, he's gone.

You are giving this guy too much cover. I didn't see much improvement at all in Fields from the first game last year up to yesterday. Maybe you are seeing something I am not. But, this is the year. If he doesn't get better than this...I mean much better, he's gone.
Agreed. First couple of series when he wasn’t under as much pressure you could see him going through his progressions.

He missed Mooney and DJ a couple times. I could see it as the game wore on, he started seeing ghosts and anticipated the pressure long before it was there.

Last year he took off. Yesterday it’s almost like he was told not to.

Also, when he has been at his best, the slide protections and move the pocket so he can see less of the field and more of his options.

Didn’t move the pocket once yesterday.

Again, if he’s bad he’s done. But if I’m an OC, that’s not the game plan I would use for a guy who’s very mobile and can make good throws.

The two throws to DJ and the TD pass to Mooney were great throws. But you gotta give your best players a chance to be your best players. Allow them to do what they are good at, not what happened yesterday.

Lets see. Lousy last year, change half your players and lousy this year. at some point I think you have to blame the coaching staff and the scheme. They are not putting their personnel in a position to be successful
Bingo. Coaches have their “system.” But sometimes you have to adapt a bit to your personnel. Didn’t see any of that yesterday

Top 10 TE WR
Best DL in the league
Best LB in the league

I'm talking about the skills to be a successful NFL QB not the surrounding cast. Purdy was more NFL ready last year than Fields is this year. Footwork , reading his progressions, making split second decisions, throwing the ball away, etc. From what I'm reading here, any QB can be put into the 49's system and they will be successful. How about Mitch Trubinski ? Would he be successful ? Come on now. As LTHSALUM 76 has very correctly pointed out Trey Lance failed. I think Fields may too

Agreed. First couple of series when he wasn’t under as much pressure you could see him going through his progressions.

He missed Mooney and DJ a couple times. I could see it as the game wore on, he started seeing ghosts and anticipated the pressure long before it was there.

Last year he took off. Yesterday it’s almost like he was told not to.

Also, when he has been at his best, the slide protections and move the pocket so he can see less of the field and more of his options.

Didn’t move the pocket once yesterday.

Again, if he’s bad he’s done. But if I’m an OC, that’s not the game plan I would use for a guy who’s very mobile and can make good throws.

The two throws to DJ and the TD pass to Mooney were great throws. But you gotta give your best players a chance to be your best players. Allow them to do what they are good at, not what happened yesterday.
Justin Fields finished the season last year at 26th in passing. If that is "taking off" in your mind, I don't know what to say. He led all QBs in rushing...and...oh yeah, the Bears won only 3 games last year.

People have talked about Patrick Mahomes and his ability to move and throw on the run. But, he wins because he can also throw from the pocket. I recently read where players on GB used to say, "make Trubisky QB to beat you." I am not comparing one guy to the other. But I do think teams will try to keep Fields from being mobile and making him stay back and throw. If you try that on Mahomes, he will still beat you. Fields won't more often than not.

I think you and I agree on most things. It was extremely frustrating to see such a lousy performance by everyone from coaches to players.

Chase Claypool's non-effort yesterday seems to be going viral today on twitter. People are questioning if Claypool wants to play football.

It was also wierd the Bears named more than 11 offensive starters in their starting lineup yesterday just to satisfy the non-starter Claypool.

Chase Claypool's non-effort yesterday seems to be going viral today on twitter. People are questioning if Claypool wants to play football.

It was also wierd the Bears named more than 11 offensive starters in their starting lineup yesterday just to satisfy the non-starter Claypool.
Time to cut his azz

Reactions: mchsalumni

But all the off-season reports were how great he was doing. Just shows the difference between practice and games.

Gave up the 32nd pick in the draft for 9 games and zero production if you cut him.
I’m not saying to cut him, but worth benching him and giving somebody a shot who isn’t going to get his ass kicked on a run block by a smaller DB.

The pick was a sunk cost as soon as the deal was made.

I’m not saying to cut him, but worth benching him and giving somebody a shot who isn’t going to get his ass kicked on a run block by a smaller DB.

The pick was a sunk cost as soon as the deal was made.
If you feel this way why keep him? I mean it’s seems like a know brainer especially the cancer it could be to the rest of the team.

If you feel this way why keep him? I mean it’s seems like a know brainer especially the cancer it could be to the rest of the team.
I have no issue with cutting him either. I’d pry keep him and see if he can turn it around. I wouldn’t call him a locker room cancer, maybe he is, but what he is to me is a guy who hasn’t produced with the Bears and just had his worst game with the team.

I have no issue with cutting him either. I’d pry keep him and see if he can turn it around. I wouldn’t call him a locker room cancer, maybe he is, but what he is to me is a guy who hasn’t produced with the Bears and just had his worst game with the team.
I mean if you’re trying to send a message to the entire team it seems to me that this would be a safe option. Not a lot of down side with a huge up side. Non producer with potential to disrupt the team. Heck I think the other players would respect the decision.

I mean if you’re trying to send a message to the entire team it seems to me that this would be a safe option. Not a lot of down side with a huge up side. Non producer with potential to disrupt the team. Heck I think the other players would respect the decision.
It’s a PR disaster many people thought it was a terrible trade when it was made and cutting him is just confirming that.

Same thing happened with the White Sox and Albert Belle a long time ago. Once Belle was released the WS did well.
Are we really comparing Fields to Albert Belle? Belle was a surly SOB that cared about nobody but himself. Fields is still a kid, mind you, who the Bears drafted. Is it his fault he’s not flourishing in a crappy organization? Maybe, but give the kid a break. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery but a calling him a cancer is wrong. I’m not even a Bears fan and this pisses me off.

• Haha
Reactions: gobears25
Are we really comparing Fields to Albert Belle? Belle was a surly SOB that cared about nobody but himself. Fields is still a kid, mind you, who the Bears drafted. Is it his fault he’s not flourishing in a crappy organization? Maybe, but give the kid a break. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery but a calling him a cancer is wrong. I’m not even a Bears fan and this pisses me off.
I believe the comparison to Belle was Claypool for questionable effort, not Fields.

I was calling Eddie Jackson the cancer.

Lets see. Lousy last year, change half your players and lousy this year. at some point I think you have to blame the coaching staff and the scheme. They are not putting their personnel in a position to be successful
To me, one of the biggest things left out when it comes to the Bears lack of an offense is the terrible scouting that goes on. The Bears haven't drafted and developed a good QB since Jim McMahon. And even with him, he really wasn't a great QB. A very good one for a short time. But that's it.

How often during our lifetimes have we said the Bears have a very good or excellent O-line? Outside of the RB position, the Bears have done very little in bringing a good offense forward. It isn't just coaching because I can't think of a Bears QB who was a bust here then became very good somewhere else. In my mind, as far as the offense goes, it starts with scouting talent.

In my mind, as far as the offense goes, it starts with scouting talent.

Are they picking the best talent on the board? Carter was available when they picked an offensive lineman.

OL was their biggest need but???

The main problem is Pace was giving away all our draft picks for average players and many times for nothing.

Pace hurt all our positions on the Bears by giving away draft picks like Halloween candy.

Are they picking the best talent on the board? Carter was available when they picked an offensive lineman.

OL was their biggest need but???

The main problem is Pace was giving away all our draft picks for average players and many times for nothing.

Pace hurt all our positions on the Bears by giving away draft picks like Halloween candy.
Seems to me they aren't picking the best talent available. All GMs make mistakes when picks are made. But you also have scouts making recommendations. I remember back when the Steelers would pick the best player available even if it wasn't a pressing need. I also read that during Tom Brady's career the Patriots would draft a QB low in many drafts.

What was it? Didn't the Bears have 10 picks this year? No QBs taken. Now, look at the 49ers. They took Trey Lance with the 3rd pick of the 2021 season. So, last year the still had Garappolo and Lance, yet they drafted Brock Purdy with the last pick anyway. And we know what ended up happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT