ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Seems like not everyone on the Bears is excited about Williams being the top pick...

"You can't bring that Hollywood stuff into the building," Jaylen Johnson said on the "Up & Adams" show Wednesday. "Especially not with guys who have played this game at a high level for consecutive years in the league."

He added: "We gonna see through it ... What you did in college, the Hollywood, it's like, nah, you gotta prove yourself. That stuff doesn't matter."
I knew you would love that…..
He’s not wrong and not sure he wasn’t talking more in generality. But let’s keep picking away at him.

Allen showed up at his pro day…
Guys, they are drafting him. Your life will be a lot happier if you accept it instead of trying to find anything to drag him down. He might be great, he might suck but neither you or I know. And if you think you know you are a fool, you don’t. I’m guilty of thinking he will be good to be fair. But I’m not trying to find anything to drag him down.

It’s like people want to just say he’s gonna not be good to come back and say…told you so. Let it play out my god…

Reactions: corey90
I knew you would love that…..
He’s not wrong and not sure he wasn’t talking more in generality. But let’s keep picking away at him.
Sure, he's talking as a generality. Has nothing to do with with Williams likely being the top pick for the Bears and being full of himself.

Allen showed up at his pro day…
Guys, they are drafting him. Your life will be a lot happier if you accept it instead of trying to find anything to drag him down. He might be great, he might suck but neither you or I know. And if you think you know you are a fool, you don’t. I’m guilty of thinking he will be good to be fair. But I’m not trying to find anything to drag him down.

It’s like people want to just say he’s gonna not be good to come back and say…told you so. Let it play out my god…
Allen???

If you're talking about Williams, me not liking him has nothing to do with being able to say I told you so, I would love to be wrong. I don't like him or think he's head and shoulders above everyone else based on what he did on the field. Nothing he did, to me, says generational talent.

Allen???

If you're talking about Williams, me not liking him has nothing to do with being able to say I told you so, I would love to be wrong. I don't like him or think he's head and shoulders above everyone else based on what he did on the field. Nothing he did, to me, says generational talent.
Keenan Allen…you know the WR the Bears just acquired? You knew, you’re smart.
Then you are a better scout than pro scouts then, damn good for you.
And don’t cite the few that say hes not the best QB. Cause you know know this is the time when people start tearing down all types of picks from all types of reasons…

Last edited:
Keenan Allen…you know the WR the Bears just acquired? You knew, you’re smart.
Then you are a better scout than pro scouts then, damn good for you.
And don’t cite the few that say hes not the best QB. Cause you know know this is the time when people start tearing down all types of picks from all types of reasons…
I won't cite the few that say he's not the best QB, I'll do you one better and not cite anyone. I'm basing MY opinion on MY observations of him, but please feel free to regurgitate whatever the talking heads you watch, listen to, or follow said about how great he is. I look to what he did against ranked opponents who had defenses with a pulse and it was nothing overly spectacular.

Then when he says things like he doesn't know how to handle adversity because he's never had to deal with it is an eye opener, especially with the recent Trib article where Bears fans are quoted as saying he better be great out of the gate in order to live up to the hype doesn't give him any margin for error. How will he react when people don't blindly praise him if he's not an immediate success?

Please tell me about how guys like Mel Kiper love him. He's the same guy who said if Jimmy Claussen didn't end up being an all pro he'd retire. Still waiting for him to dissapear after that one.

Well if they get Odunze this offense is loaded with weapons and any around average QB should look good in this offense. The RB position is loaded even if you don't want to throw the ball. We did not even need to add a RB.

Reactions: 4Afan and corey90
I won't cite the few that say he's not the best QB, I'll do you one better and not cite anyone. I'm basing MY opinion on MY observations of him, but please feel free to regurgitate whatever the talking heads you watch, listen to, or follow said about how great he is. I look to what he did against ranked opponents who had defenses with a pulse and it was nothing overly spectacular.

Then when he says things like he doesn't know how to handle adversity because he's never had to deal with it is an eye opener, especially with the recent Trib article where Bears fans are quoted as saying he better be great out of the gate in order to live up to the hype doesn't give him any margin for error. How will he react when people don't blindly praise him if he's not an immediate success?

Please tell me about how guys like Mel Kiper love him. He's the same guy who said if Jimmy Claussen didn't end up being an all pro he'd retire. Still waiting for him to dissapear after that one.
Your looking to deep. You think he is saying he has never seen adversity. You really believe that? I view him as being super confident in his abilities. The kid is very confident! To me that’s a good thing. I don’t want someone who is wishy washy on how they feel. To me that sends up all kinds of red flags. Listen if you don’t like him fine just don’t try to pick him apart to fit your narrative. Who do you think has more talent in this draft of loaded QBs? Who would you draft as our starter? Fields is gone so who?

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Well if they get Odunze this offense is loaded with weapons and any around average QB should look good in this offense. The RB position is loaded even if you don't want to throw the ball. We did not even need to add a RB.
Even without Odunze it’s pretty darn loaded.
Still complaining about them upgrading the RB room I see.

Definitely not a fan of him skipping both, but at least Harrison asked teams if they needed to see him workout.

"Harrison asked the nine teams he met with at the Combine if they needed to see anything from him at the Ohio State pro day. The group responded in the negative."
I was thinking maybe a Cardinals avoidance strategy, since he seems to the lock at #4...might not be sold on working with Kyler Murray or other issues.

Reactions: 4Afan

I'm basing my opinion on my observations of him, yes, the ND game was not good, but you can't cherry pick games to fit your narrative. Games he excelled in can't just be ignored.
Who gives a F about some Trib article and what a few Bears fans said?
No idea what Mel Kiper thinks of him. To be fair all these "experts" have terrible takes you know that especially when you have been doing it for so long.

I'm not going to change your mind so I guess agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I'm basing my opinion on my observations of him, yes, the ND game was not good, but you can't cherry pick games to fit your narrative. Games he excelled in can't just be ignored.
Who gives a F about some Trib article and what a few Bears fans said?
No idea what Mel Kiper thinks of him. To be fair all these "experts" have terrible takes you know that especially when you have been doing it for so long.

I'm not going to change your mind so I guess agree to disagree.
Not just cherry picking the ND game, they played more than one ranked team. He wasn't good against Oregon, solid game against Washington, meh game against Utah, and a 3 OT game against Arizona where he only completed 14 passes. He's talented, I'm not disputing that, but I fail to see where he rises to the occasion or what it is that sets him apart from the rest of the QBs in this class.

You can say who gives a flip about what a few fans think, but how will he react if he's not god like out of the gate and the Bears start 1-2 and he has an entire city calling for his head?

Your looking to deep. You think he is saying he has never seen adversity. You really believe that? I view him as being super confident in his abilities. The kid is very confident! To me that’s a good thing. I don’t want someone who is wishy washy on how they feel. To me that sends up all kinds of red flags. Listen if you don’t like him fine just don’t try to pick him apart to fit your narrative. Who do you think has more talent in this draft of loaded QBs? Who would you draft as our starter? Fields is gone so who?
I'm not picking him apart to fit my narrative, I've given specific examples of why I'm not a fan, but those in favor of him just give generic responses and say he's really good.

He's got talent, but I don't see his upside. Where does he go from here? I think his ceiling is lower than others in the class. I like Penix for his raw talent, Nix for his experience, and I think Maye is the most pro ready, but Bears fans won't even consider him because he's from UNC and Bears fans still have PTSD from Trubisky.

I was thinking maybe a Cardinals avoidance strategy, since he seems to the lock at #4...might not be sold on working with Kyler Murray or other issues.
Possibly but it says he asked teams if they needed to see more from him and they all said no.

Watched his pro day on the NFL Network. There's only so much that can be gleaned from a pro day, but there are some things you can conclude. Here are some of the things I noticed: the ball jumps out of his hand with seemingly very little effort. His throwing motion and movement skills are fluid and effortless. You can tell he's a natural thrower of the football. Fields had a mechanical throwing motion. He's built like a RB at 6'1 217 lbs. That bodes well for durability. He has huge hands (9 7/8), which always helps in cold weather games. Overall, it's easy to see why people are enamored with his raw talent. Combine that with the stats he put up in his three years, and he has the look of an elite prospect.

The Bears have seemingly done a good job to surround him with skill position talent. I still have some concerns about the quality of the O-line, but he is set up to succeed much more so than most #1 QBs taken. Compare the situation he is entering to say Bryce Young last year. It's night and day. Is he the right pick? Will he flourish in Chicago? As SIUCubfan points out, none of us know. We shall see.

Watched his pro day on the NFL Network. There's only so much that can be gleaned from a pro day, but there are some things you can conclude. Here are some of the things I noticed: the ball jumps out of his hand with seemingly very little effort. His throwing motion and movement skills are fluid and effortless. You can tell he's a natural thrower of the football. Fields had a mechanical throwing motion. He's built like a RB at 6'1 217 lbs. That bodes well for durability. He has huge hands (9 7/8), which always helps in cold weather games. Overall, it's easy to see why people are enamored with his raw talent. Combine that with the stats he put up in his three years, and he has the look of an elite prospect.

The Bears have seemingly done a good job to surround him with skill position talent. I still have some concerns about the quality of the O-line, but he is set up to succeed much more so than most #1 QBs taken. Compare the situation he is entering to say Bryce Young last year. It's night and day. Is he the right pick? Will he flourish in Chicago? As SIUCubfan points out, none of us know. We shall see.
Don't agree regarding his size. At 6'1" he'll be one of the shorter QBs in the league. He's smaller than Fields and he was hurt on multiple occasions.

Not just cherry picking the ND game, they played more than one ranked team. He wasn't good against Oregon, solid game against Washington, meh game against Utah, and a 3 OT game against Arizona where he only completed 14 passes. He's talented, I'm not disputing that, but I fail to see where he rises to the occasion or what it is that sets him apart from the rest of the QBs in this class.

You can say who gives a flip about what a few fans think, but how will he react if he's not god like out of the gate and the Bears start 1-2 and he has an entire city calling for his head?
I get recency bias, but his previous two years also count. I also get that it is the time of year that top guys are under the microscope to find faults...happens every year.

If people think he is going to be god like out of the gate I don't know what to tell you. I believe even the most harden Williams fan boys know there are some growing pains no matter how highly regarded you are coming out of college.

A whole city calling for his head, come on. Half the city really wanted Justin to stay, and I think most liked him as a dude. He just got traded so I think there are some raw thoughts from certain fans.

I get recency bias, but his previous two years also count. I also get that it is the time of year that top guys are under the microscope to find faults...happens every year.

If people think he is going to be god like out of the gate I don't know what to tell you. I believe even the most harden Williams fan boys know there are some growing pains no matter how highly regarded you are coming out of college.

A whole city calling for his head, come on. Half the city really wanted Justin to stay, and I think most liked him as a dude. He just got traded so I think there are some raw thoughts from certain fans.
Yep, all seasons count 2021 he wasn't the starter for the full year, 2022 he won the Heisman with similar numbers to what Daniels put up this year, and this year his numbers regressed. So I again ask, what makes him the unquestionable best QB in the draft?

The Bears haven't had a QB with this much hype ever, so yes, the expectations will be high. Add in the faction who wanted to keep Fields and the free agent aquisitions, and that adds up to a lot of fans that will be expecting a CJ Stroud like rookie year. Is it fair? No, but I don't see Bears fans waiting patiently for him to come around.

Yep, all seasons count 2021 he wasn't the starter for the full year, 2022 he won the Heisman with similar numbers to what Daniels put up this year, and this year his numbers regressed. So I again ask, what makes him the unquestionable best QB in the draft?

The Bears haven't had a QB with this much hype ever, so yes, the expectations will be high. Add in the faction who wanted to keep Fields and the free agent aquisitions, and that adds up to a lot of fans that will be expecting a CJ Stroud like rookie year. Is it fair? No, but I don't see Bears fans waiting patiently for him to come around.
I've answered it before, and I might be 100% wrong we will see.
Let's talk about something we don't know. what happens at 9.

I heard today that Williams and Odunze are good friends per a barroom network previous podcast.

I hope it's Odunze though I don't know if he'll still be on the board or Poles may go Edge after the trade for Allen, but I still feel like this will be a trade back. Poles has said from day 1 he wants to build this team through the draft and he can't do that with only 4 picks.

If they keep the pick I say Odunze or go Edge with Turner or Verse. If they trade back hopefully they can get a 2nd round pick in return.

I hope it's Odunze though I don't know if he'll still be on the board or Poles may go Edge after the trade for Allen, but I still feel like this will be a trade back. Poles has said from day 1 he wants to build this team through the draft and he can't do that with only 4 picks.

If they keep the pick I say Odunze or go Edge with Turner or Verse. If they trade back hopefully they can get a 2nd round pick in return.
Deep WR draft, maybe a WR in 2nd Rd if they get one?
Verse is tempting.
He gave himself options with some of the moves in FA.

If they make the right QB pick at #1 I say Odunze but who knows. I feel like he is going to be a star in the NFL. If they don’t get him get an Edge rusher or a OT.

I’m starting to question the feasibility of even trading down at 9 now that it looks like JJ will likely be gone by the pick. I think it’s likely Bears will stay put.

I’m starting to question the feasibility of even trading down at 9 now that it looks like JJ will likely be gone by the pick. I think it’s likely Bears will stay put.
You do know that teams will trade up for positions other than QB, right? Deep draft for WR and Edge and there's a number of teams that need both. With the acquisition of Allen Bears could trade back even if Odunze or Nabers are there for the right offer. Same applies if Turner or Verse are there. If a team falls in love with a guy they may reach out to the Bears.

With Poles wanting to build through the draft I just don’t see him staying put at 9 with only 4 total picks. After #9 they have a 3rd and a 4th and that's it. They could trade back with either of those, but they're not gonna get much in return for them.

You do know that teams will trade up for positions other than QB, right? Deep draft for WR and Edge and there's a number of teams that need both. With the acquisition of Allen Bears could trade back even if Odunze or Nabers are there for the right offer. Same applies if Turner or Verse are there. If a team falls in love with a guy they may reach out to the Bears.

With Poles wanting to build through the draft I just don’t see him staying put at 9 with only 4 total picks. After #9 they have a 3rd and a 4th and that's it. They could trade back with either of those, but they're not gonna get much in return for them.
I agree but he’s gotten players for those picks so it’s not like he traded a bunch of picks and is now screwed..I’d rather have Sweat than a 2nd rd pick.

I agree but he’s gotten players for those picks so it’s not like he traded a bunch of picks and is now screwed..I’d rather have Sweat than a 2nd rd pick.
I never said I was against the moves he's made. Just saying the man wants his picks and the best chance he has to get more of those is by trading #9.

We shall see, but this is a player, not a fan. Something to keep an eye on if players are speaking out before he gets drafted.
Lol
So far Poles says his coaches and Team mates love him. Poles was really impressed about how he handled himself, saying he was very mature and a leader. Seems like our GM is impressed with Williams. 😊

Lol
So far Poles says his coaches and Team mates love him. Poles was really impressed about how he handled himself, saying he was very mature and a leader. Seems like our GM is impressed with Williams. 😊
To be fair he isn't going to air out the dirty laundry if there were negative things said about Williams. But the whole Willams as a bad teammate/etc. is all so overblown and frankly BS is many aspects, IMO.

To be fair he isn't going to air out the dirty laundry if there were negative things said about Williams. But the whole Willams as a bad teammate/etc. is all so overblown and frankly BS is many aspects, IMO.
Agreed but he wouldn’t go out of his way to say the coaches and players love him either.

ADVERTISEMENT