ADVERTISEMENT

5A Title game

A mediocre team that has won five games in a row by a combined score of 226-71 against teams that had a combined record of 47-6. In my opinion, any team that reaches the state championship game is not mediocre.
In the conference they were mediocre, in the area they were mediocre. They are simply not playing those teams.

In the conference they were mediocre, in the area they were mediocre. They are simply not playing those teams.

So they were mediocre against 2 state finalists and a semi-finalist? Using that logic,one could say that Loyola was mediocre in their conference and in the area.

I will stand by my statement that any team that is playing in the state championship is not mediocre. Especially a team that has been absolutely dominant in the playoffs.

Getting out the sandbags on a Monday.

JCA is a 10 point favorite here.
Part of me really likes that JCA has improved so much in the previous 5-6 weeks that anyone could say they might actually be favored over Montini, but realistically Montini has to be a heavy favorite here.

I believe the whole improvement theme is over-stated.
Which playoff team that JCA has faced would be favored vs. I-C, Benet, Naz or Marist?
I think none of them. JCA lost to four good teams during the regular season.
While they may be playing a little better, they simply are not playing the quality of competition that they have faced.

Which playoff team that JCA has faced would be favored vs. I-C, Benet, Naz or Marist?
While they may be playing a little better, they simply are not playing the quality of competition that they have faced.
OK, I cannot disprove anything you said. I just view it from a different angle I guess.

The only thing I have disagreed with was not considering Montini a sizable favorite.

They will need to play their best on Saturday to have a chance against Montini. The degree to which they've improved or where they rank or the quality of the playoff competition is all message board fodder. Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. We'll see if they can spring the upset against the Broncos on Saturday.

I would say they would be favored vs Benet and maybe IC as well as being favored vs NND. That leaves Naz and Marist. Two of the top 5 or 6 teams in the state.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
No you misunderstood.
Which team that you have played in the playoffs would be favored v. those teams?
Would Hillcrest be favored v. I-C, Naz, Benet or Marist? No.
Metamora, Marion or Highland? No

Reactions: USD24
CalPreps.com says...

neutral field
[2018] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 30, [2018] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 28

Very interesting.
CalPreps looks at ranking trends too. For example, JCA is listed as "SHARP UPWARD" whereas Montini is listed as Neutral. JCA ranked 27 vs a Montini 11, so the "Sharp Upward" is compensating for at least some of that disparity.

I like JCA in this one.

I saw Montini last week and was underwhelmed by their defensive line and LBS. JCA looks like Sycamore but better athletes running behind a better line.

Montini is really impressive at DB. I think how they incorporate those guys into their run defense will be a big factor.

You guys make me nauseous with this sandbagging.

On the one hand, both JCA and Montini folks are quick to call the other “heavy favorites”. On the other, you’re all too quick to defend your team and argue with a poster who actually puts forward points as to WHY one team is not favored.

Which one is it? You don’t get humble points for calling the other team a heavy favorite to then spend 5 posts defending why your team is still going to compete and may win. Someone step up and call it like it is!

I hear JCA has a better line? How can Montinis run defense handle that? Is it going to be another shootout?

I hear Montini has more overall skill? How can JCA match up? What can they do if they find themselves down two scores (the Achilles heel of past JCA teams?

You guys make me nauseous with this sandbagging.

On the one hand, both JCA and Montini folks are quick to call the other “heavy favorites”. On the other, you’re all too quick to defend your team and argue with a poster who actually puts forward points as to WHY one team is not favored.

Which one is it? You don’t get humble points for calling the other team a heavy favorite to then spend 5 posts defending why your team is still going to compete and may win. Someone step up and call it like it is!

I hear JCA has a better line? How can Montinis run defense handle that? Is it going to be another shootout?

I hear Montini has more overall skill? How can JCA match up? What can they do if they find themselves down two scores (the Achilles heel of past JCA teams?
You have some very good points. JCA has a very good line, but so does Montini. Any edge either way is slight.

I think Montini is a 10 pt favorite.

What do you think JCA would do if they played Sycamore today?

Sycamore finished 3rd in the Northern Illinois East conference.

I have not seen Montini play, are they multi- dimensional on the offensive side of the ball? JCA’s secondary has really stepped up during the playoffs, with that being said, it appears Montini is a different animal altogether. I think both teams will score...(duh), however I feel the Hill’s chances are binging on how they play on the defensive side of the ball.

What do you think JCA would do if they played Sycamore today?

Sycamore finished 3rd in the Northern Illinois East conference.

Who cares? What will they do when they face Montini? Let’s get past the conference competition and down to the Xs and Os...

Montini appears to be more run focused this year but still putting up TDs through the air. Does JCA have the secondary to stop that? How does JCA come back if they find themselves down two scores in the second half?

Montini apparently got ran all over by Sycamore...well now they’re facing a team who’s bread and butter is a complex run game with a huge o-line to boot. Do they have the defense to stop JCA and get the ball to their O? If Sycamore can control the clock and thus control Montini for a half, how does Montini stop a better suited clock control offense in JCA?

One point that needs mentioning is Montini has played this offense quite a few times in the past.

Imagine it easier to prep for an offense they’ve seen 5+? times since 2009 than JCA to prep for a newer version of the Montini spread...

Not this group of kids.

No, but the coaching staff has. Numerous times too.

Has JCA’s offense changed alongside the coaching switch? Montini has stopped them in the past...or outscored them, what’s different this time around?

One point that needs mentioning is Montini has played this offense quite a few times in the past.
I'm going to disagree. This offense is not the same double wing that they ran for 20 plus years. Lot ofblateral movement in the double wing. This is occasionally double wing but mostly I formation and or split back sets with a more downhill power scheme with great counter action.

The only real similarity is that they are still going to run it 50 times. But how they will do it is drastically different. This offense is more like the offense JC ran in 96 with James Randle. If they watch tape of the 2009 or 2011 games, they would be wasting their time this year.

That said....montini still favored by double digits.

I'm going to disagree. This offense is not the same double wing that they ran for 20 plus years. Lot ofblateral movement in the double wing. This is occasionally double wing but mostly I formation and or split back sets with a more downhill power scheme with great counter action.

The only real similarity is that they are still going to run it 50 times. But how they will do it is drastically different. This offense is more like the offense JC ran in 96 with James Randle. If they watch tape of the 2009 or 2011 games, they would be wasting their time this year.

That said....montini still favored by double digits.

Isn’t the downhill, smash mouth running the same attack that gave Montini fits in the Sycamore game? If JCA has moved to this style, improved in it throughout the year, and used it to seemingly dominate playoff opponents thus far could it not be able to control the clock against Montini, maintain ball control, and effectively limit a potentially more explosive offense? Is Montini’s defense that much better than JCAs playoff opponents to date?

Why, if JCA’s offense is so new and exciting than what it’s been the past 20 years, are they prohibitive “double digit” dogs?

Isn’t the downhill, smash mouth running the same attack that gave Montini fits in the Sycamore game? If JCA has moved to this style, improved in it throughout the year, and used it to seemingly dominate playoff opponents thus far could it not be able to control the clock against Montini, maintain ball control, and effectively limit a potentially more explosive offense? Is Montini’s defense that much better than JCAs playoff opponents to date?

Why, if JCA’s offense is so new and exciting than what it’s been the past 20 years, are they prohibitive “double digit” dogs?
Wouldn't say its new and exciting. In fact, it rewound the clock 20 years to the Bob stone era in some ways. That said, while it's not new and exciting,it is fairly different from the 09,10,11,12,13,and 14 offenses JC ran against montini.

Someone suggested montini is running a different form of spread with different principles. I would assume the change is similar to that. Same philosophy, but different way of achieving it. Montini is still running the spread. Jc still power run. But both have changed their systems just enough to make film comparisons to previous matchups unnecessary.

I believe montini to be the favorite because they have better athletes at many positions but admittedly haven't seen too much of them. Would not be shocked if JC pulled off the upset, but they are still the underdog in my opinion. If JC is to have any chance to win, they must have all 3 of these things happen.....own the line on both sides, avoid turnovers and costly penalties, and have their secondary continue to make plays and steal possessions. This secondary is better than any I can ever remember JC having. No exaggeration. If they ball hawk and get 2 or 3 picks, I think they can negate the 10 to 14 point favorite montini is. Not likely that all 3 of those happen, but definitely possible.

Reactions: stonedlizard
Wouldn't say its new and exciting. In fact, it rewound the clock 20 years to the Bob stone era in some ways. That said, while it's not new and exciting,it is fairly different from the 09,10,11,12,13,and 14 offenses JC ran against montini.

Someone suggested montini is running a different form of spread with different principles. I would assume the change is similar to that. Same philosophy, but different way of achieving it. Montini is still running the spread. Jc still power run. But both have changed their systems just enough to make film comparisons to previous matchups unnecessary.

I believe montini to be the favorite because they have better athletes at many positions but admittedly haven't seen too much of them. Would not be shocked if JC pulled off the upset, but they are still the underdog in my opinion. If JC is to have any chance to win, they must have all 3 of these things happen.....own the line on both sides, avoid turnovers and costly penalties, and have their secondary continue to make plays and steal possessions. This secondary is better than any I can ever remember JC having. No exaggeration. If they ball hawk and get 2 or 3 picks, I think they can negate the 10 to 14 point favorite montini is. Not likely that all 3 of those happen, but definitely possible.

I applaud this answer for its honest assessment of known factors leading toward your prognostication instead of blanket sandbaggingship.

Montini has been playing 5A for too many years and frankly only had JCA to worry about for many years. Way too many lopsided playoff games before they get to the 5A Finals. I have no bias , in fact I went to BR for what it's worth. Montini has no business playing in 5A and I know they are governed by the 1.65 enrollment multiplier but IMO if you asked them privately, they would agree.

Yes, JCA has been down recently but Montini has players playing in college (D2,D3) year after year. Frankly I think the 1.65 multiplier has far less of an impact on the smaller classes and still shows a talent imbalance. Montini would be among the favorites certainly in 6A most years and probably a good shot in 7A also. They should voluntarily step up in class like ESL has and at least play in 6A but I think really 7A. Finish 2nd in CCL Blue this year and playing in 5A? C'MON MAN!!

Reactions: Omnipotent1

I believe montini to be the favorite because they have better athletes at many positions but admittedly haven't seen too much of them.
I haven't seen much of Montini either. I hear they are more run-based this year with a D-1 RB, who is a home run threat, and two QB's who are very good running threats as well. I know they also have a tall receiver, who is very good. That's always the challenge with Montini, as JCHillmen touches on above. They can tweak their spread offense based on the strengths of their personnel in any given year. While JCA does have the best group of DB's they've had in awhile, can they defend all facets of Montini's offense? Teams generally have success against JC's defense by spreading them out and forcing them to make plays in space. Can the JC defense tackle all the running options Montini presents and also defend the pass? It's a tall order.

If Montini limits or stops the JC running game, what is Plan B? While the Hilltoppers have had success in their play action passing game, can they throw the ball in 3rd and long situations when Montini knows they are going pass? That part of the equation is similar to past match ups. If JCA gets behind or cannot run consistently, they are in trouble.

None of the above questions are new. Maybe the consensus on the board is correct, JC's playoff success is the result of playing inferior (to Montini) competition. I will say this Hilltopper team is playing at their highest level. They've surprised and impressed me in the playoffs, as well as in Week 9. Is it good enough to beat a team of Montini's caliber? We shall see.

Bottom line: until jca has figured out how to beat bronco with second hand adjustments, bronco is the favorite...even if the talent was equal.

Bronco's the favorite. Jca is good. Jca has improved. Both teams have played great teams this season. Bother teams could not be more prepared for each other scheme wise or from their regular season tests.

Bottom line: until jca has figured out how to beat bronco with second hand adjustments, bronco is the favorite...even if the talent was equal.

Bronco's the favorite. Jca is good. Jca has improved. Both teams have played great teams this season. Bother teams could not be more prepared for each other scheme wise or from their regular season tests.
Both teams with new coaches though.

Montini has been playing 5A for too many years and frankly only had JCA to worry about for many years. Way too many lopsided playoff games before they get to the 5A Finals. I have no bias , in fact I went to BR for what it's worth. Montini has no business playing in 5A and I know they are governed by the 1.65 enrollment multiplier but IMO if you asked them privately, they would agree.

Yes, JCA has been down recently but Montini has players playing in college (D2,D3) year after year. Frankly I think the 1.65 multiplier has far less of an impact on the smaller classes and still shows a talent imbalance. Montini would be among the favorites certainly in 6A most years and probably a good shot in 7A also. They should voluntarily step up in class like ESL has and at least play in 6A but I think really 7A. Finish 2nd in CCL Blue this year and playing in 5A? C'MON MAN!!
First year playing 5a in last three. Last year montini lost its first playoff game...who you crapin

Reactions: Wassup13
CalPreps looks at ranking trends too. For example, JCA is listed as "SHARP UPWARD" whereas Montini is listed as Neutral. JCA ranked 27 vs a Montini 11, so the "Sharp Upward" is compensating for at least some of that disparity.
Do people actually put any stock in the CalPreps “simulations”?

First year playing 5a in last three. Last year montini lost its first playoff game...who you crapin

HSDad, Montini won 6A, again won 6A with no close game in 2015 and 2009 thru 2014 they were 28-2 in the 5A playoffs (5 state champs & 2 runner ups incl. 2015) and if you quickly look up the scores of those playoff games on the IHSA website they had 1 game each run that was maybe close. Crappin nobody Dad! Facts don't lie. Can't rest your case on the last 2 years. Another cake walk 5A run this year too. Play up to your talent not down like they have for years. What are they afraid of in 6A? I know, need more trophies.

Don't want to take away from their excellent program. A lot to admire. They belonged in minimum 6A years ago and easily could declare that when the playoffs start every year like ESL has done., they should play up in class and they know it. C'mon Man!

Do people actually put any stock in the CalPreps “simulations”?
Not any more than any reporter's rankings or picks. Its interesting to see why they pick things, but they're only guesses. The game still has to be played.

Curious how many more students does NAZ have over Montini?

Much respect for teams like NAZ and ESTL for playing up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT