ADVERTISEMENT

5A Title game

doctor_d

Oct 9, 2016
I realize this post might be inflammatory for some, but here goes..

I don't see how JCA can win. Furthermore, 5A was obviously very lopsided with their bracketing. JCA got shellacked by IC 42-0. I realize that JCA got better as the year went on, but I'm thinking that the same could be said for most teams, especially those still playing this weekend and next.

Prove me wrong.

I don't see how JCA can win. Furthermore, 5A was obviously very lopsided with their bracketing. JCA got shellacked by IC 42-0. I realize that JCA got better as the year went on, but I'm thinking that the same could be said for most teams, especially those still playing this weekend and next.

Prove me wrong.
I am on a lot of Pain Meds and it would be hard to insult me.:D

I didn't think JCA could make it this far and I am very proud of the team proving me wrong.

Montini scares the crap out of me - but this team is constantly surprising me, so don't count them out.

They have definitely grown and gotten a lot better.

So I guess we'll just have to let them play and decide the issue for themselves.

Prove me wrong.
Doesn't matter. For JCA it's all house money at this point. Montini is supposed to win. If absolutely everything falls right, JC could pull off the stunner, but its not likely. They have nothing to lose. Although the very fact they have nothing to lose may make them dangerous.

Doesn't matter. For JCA it's all house money at this point. Montini is supposed to win. If absolutely everything falls right, JC could pull off the stunner, but its not likely. They have nothing to lose. Although the very fact they have nothing to lose may make them dangerous.
Bingo

Prove me wrong.

History on this board has shown us jca broskis are pretty hip to reality and all that jazz.

I think in almost every other jca bronco match up, I have called them toss ups. In this game, jca is a true underdog.

Regarding the IC game, that one is hard to explain. If you saw the first five minutes of the game, you would have thought jca was going to roll... turnovers kicked in...things got out of hand. IMO, it's the wrong game to judge jca on.

That said, perhaps relative to bronco, Naz and Marist are better barometers, and those games were not too great for the Hill.

Also agree that most teams improve during the season, but I think it's relative, also, and I would suspect that jca has improved more than most teams. Going into the season, they had one of the scattiest backs ready to rush and receive for over 1k...that changed when he got injured in the first quarter of the first game, and was ruled out for the year. That takes time to adjust to...it's not the same losing a player of that csliber.

Since then younger bloods have stepped up, and game experience helps, I think that is what you are seeing, along with the obvious sos factor.

Jca is an underdog, but no one should be surprised if the game ends up close or jca wins. They are very talented, it's just bronco has more and has been tested equally to jca. This is not a matter of bronco just simply over matching jca.

I hope jca plays with a wreclkess abandon and causes turnovers, had a trick play or two, and otherwise plays a solid game. If they do, they'll be where they need to be in the 4th quarter; and, I'll take that any day of the week.

Reactions: mchsalumni and pjjp
Montini scares the crap out of me - but this team is constantly surprising me, so don't count them out.
I freely admit. I walked out of the Benet game after the Hilltoppers lost in the closing seconds to go 3-3 thinking that their season was over. I didn't see 2 wins in the remaining 3 games. I was shocked when they beat ND on the road in Week 9. They caught a major break with Ty Gavin not playing, but after losing to the Dons 34-0 the previous year, I just didn't see them having much of a chance. Week 9 was their first elimination game, and they've carried the momentum from that unexpected (to me at least) win forward.

In the playoffs, I've been surprised (again) at how convincing they've been winning. Marion was overmatched, but Metamora, Highland and Hillcrest all were good teams who presented different challenges. The Hilltoppers have handled each of those challenges in convincing fashion. They've continued to surprise me. I'm not counting them out either. However, they are clearly the underdog against Montini.

This.

And if we go back to 2009 people (including me) were saying the same thing about MCHS having no chance against JCA. Looking forward to a great game and happy The Hill is back!

And if we go back to 2009 people (including me) were saying the same thing about MCHS having no chance against JCA. Looking forward to a great game and happy The Hill is back!

From the time I parked the car in 2009 and a luxury bus pulled up next to my car with a group of JCA alumni got out with drinks in hand I thought to myself, these guys have been here before and we are screwed until we weren't.

You can throw out the records, who you played, who you lost to, who you beat, it doesn't matter. JCA has a lot to play for and are on a roll. In my mind this game is a toss-up. Like the man said, JCA is playing with house money and have nothing to lose and will be playing to win.

Montini in a close one. Montini defense will make the difference in this game. JCA offense is impressive though.

Montini’s defense is better than Hillcrest defense. Better coached and more disciplined. I’ve got bronco on this one. Not easy but win a hard fought close game.

This will be a somewhat close game but I am going with JCA. Their last 5 games have been very impressive. JCA will be a much tougher game for Montini than Sycamore and the Sycamore game could have gone either way.

I've been right a lot in the playoffs predictions for this year which is unusual.

I pick JCA winning by 8 points.

Reactions: CGsupporter
I will be rooting for JCA based on their underdog status.

Would they be considered the biggest underdogs of the weekend? Or would that be Crete-Monee?

Prove me wrong.
The margins by which Joliet Catholic has won during the first four games of the playoffs defy all sports handicapping methods. They are a true outlier and no real-life gambler would touch this championship game with a ten-foot pole. There is no way to properly handicap it.

The margins by which Joliet Catholic has won during the first four games of the playoffs defy all sports handicapping methods. They are a true outlier and no real-life gambler would touch this championship game with a ten-foot pole. There is no way to properly handicap it.
Do they have that intangible characteristic that is difficult to quantify? After a few down years for the program, was a spark lit in Week 9? Are they now playing free and loose with a nothing-to-lose mentality? Dare I suggest this is magical run that defies logic? Do I go even cornier and label them a team of destiny?

No. It's all too Disneyesque to even consider. :cool:

Do they have that intangible characteristic that is difficult to quantify? After a few down years for the program, was a spark lit in Week 9? Are they now playing free and loose with a nothing-to-lose mentality? Dare I suggest this is magical run that defies logic? Do I go even cornier and label them a team of destiny?

No. It's all too Disneyesque to even consider. :cool:
They also have a tangible plus. Line size and ability. In this 7 on 7 generation of football, JCA size upfront and pad level equalizes many other teams skill positions. Does that translate to the championship game enough to matter? I’ve seen both teams play plenty, still not confident yet to predict score.

Reactions: Hillini74
They also have a tangible plus. Line size and ability. In this 7 on 7 generation of football, JCA size upfront and pad level equalizes many other teams skill positions. Does that translate to the championship game enough to matter? I’ve seen both teams play plenty, still not confident yet to predict score.
Montini Magic equalizes size and skill,save your cigars.

I have a few questions...

Are both teams healthy coming into this game?

What is the size of each offensive line?

What is the size of each defensive line?

Which team has more defensive speed?

Which team has more talent at the offensive skill positions?

Is there a gap or shortcoming in either teams kicking/punting game?

Which team has a likely turnover advantage or risk based on season results?

I don’t think either team is going to get out-coached. I also think both teams will be very prepared for their individual and team assignments. As a spectator, this game will be a pleasure to watch.

Reactions: Gene K.
JCA is huge up front. Highland couldn’t stop them but one time when the QB mishandled a snap at the 1 yard line. I think I heard they have 3 D1 linemen and then you add in the two backs they have. Look out.

I don’t know anything about Montini. But I will take JCA, very impressive up front.

Reactions: Cat Box
CalPreps.com says...

neutral field
[2018] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 30, [2018] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 28

Very interesting.

JCA is huge up front. Highland couldn’t stop them but one time when the QB mishandled a snap at the 1 yard line. I think I heard they have 3 D1 linemen and then you add in the two backs they have. Look out.

I don’t know anything about Montini. But I will take JCA, very impressive up front.
Both offensive lines average a svelt 271lbs. This should be a great game I have the uneasy feeling it is 2009 in reverse

Reactions: Wassup13
Montini is the favorite coming into this game. Joliet got lucky by going south this year. Joliet is a good team, but were by far on a another level when it came to Metamora and Marion and Highland and Crest they usually are when they play downstate public schools. They were better at every position when they played those games. ( Yes I saw all the 4 games) Joliet is a very good team but they are still the same team that went 5-4 against Chicago schools. Now that they are in a even match ball game, I just don't see a different team that barely beat Niles and got hammered by Naz. Can they win yes they can but will there very best...

Montini is the favorite coming into this game. Joliet got lucky by going south this year. Joliet is a good team, but were by far on a another level when it came to Metamora and Marion and Highland and Crest they usually are when they play downstate public schools. They were better at every position when they played those games. ( Yes I saw all the 4 games) Joliet is a very good team but they are still the same team that went 5-4 against Chicago schools. Now that they are in a even match ball game, I just don't see a different team that barely beat Niles and got hammered by Naz. Can they win yes they can but will there very best...
Agree - JCA needs to play their best football to compete with an outstanding Montini team.

Disagree - JCA is very improved from the team they were 7-11 weeks ago.

Montini remains a fairly heavy favorite IMO.

Agree - JCA needs to play their best football to compete with an outstanding Montini team.

Disagree - JCA is very improved from the team they were 7-11 weeks ago.

Montini remains a fairly heavy favorite IMO.

I saw them play Naz and saw them play NN... I felt like it was the same team in the playoffs, only difference a lot weaker teams...

Agree to disagree ????

CalPreps.com says...

neutral field
[2018] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 30, [2018] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 28

Very interesting.
As I recall CalPreps had Joliet Catholic as only a one-point favorite over Highland and a three-point favorite over Hillcrest. Both spreads were covered by very wide margins. The computers are struggling to adequately incorporate Joliet Catholic's recent improvement into their score projections.

Reactions: Wassup13
Both offensive lines average a svelt 271lbs. This should be a great game I have the uneasy feeling it is 2009 in reverse
In a lot if ways it may look that way. However I think the heavy favorite JC was in 2009 was only because of pedigree and program name recognition (which, at the time, heavily favored JC). While JC was heavily favored, they had a soph wingback, soph Qb, junior wingback, and frosh/senior sharing time at fullback. Only big time seniors were a MLB and TE. So JC was heavily favored, but anyone that actually looked closely at the teams knew JC was young and vulnerable. Just one fumble too many by their young backs cost them.

This year montini is the favorite because they are legitimately better at most positions. Nothing to do with program pedigree. That said, I look forward to seeing if JC can continue to play as well and as loose as they have been. If they play their absolute best game, they can win. Ir they dont, it could get ugly.

As I recall CalPreps had Joliet Catholic as only a one-point favorite over Highland and a three-point favorite over Hillcrest. Both spreads were covered by very wide margins. The computers are struggling to adequately incorporate Joliet Catholic's recent improvement into their score projections.

In my opinion yes JCA has improved but the competition has drastically dropped. Which the cal preps had a hard time understanding.

If JCA improved so much do they now beat or compete with NAZ, Marist, Benet or are they better than a 5-4 ESCC team?

ESCC is clearly an elite conference and prepared JCA to dominate 5a public schools.

I have to give a slight edge to montini based on playing in a better conference and performing better with in the blue.

I based the blue being a better conference on your best team (MARIST)losing to our best twice (Rice).

Look forward to a great game.

I’ve stated before that I’m rooting for JCA based on their underdog status. I also work with some JCA alum/affiliates.
Regardless of calpreps, I refuse to believe that Montini is anything less than a solid favorite.

I’ve stated before that I’m rooting for JCA based on their underdog status. I also work with some JCA alum/affiliates.
Regardless of calpreps, I refuse to believe that Montini is anything less than a solid favorite.
Agree. I would say Montini is a 14-17 favorite

Why do you believe that?
I’ve seen both teams multiple times. Montini is simply better. Better almost everywhere. It’s nice to see JCA back in the conversation. Hopefully they can parlay this into the return of JCA football but they’re a mediocre team (for their area and conference) that happened to get a very easy road in a very down class. Montini for comparisons sake is also playing in a very down 5a but are a good team that just so happened to also get an easy-ish road.

I look at it this way. If JCA plays Sycamore right now I beleve they win by 14 to 17 points from what I have seen from JCA starting with week 9 vs ND and going forward.

Montini/Sycamore could have went either way. Therefore JCA wins by 8 points.

I’ve seen both teams multiple times. Montini is simply better. Better almost everywhere. It’s nice to see JCA back in the conversation. Hopefully they can parlay this into the return of JCA football but they’re a mediocre team (for their area and conference) that happened to get a very easy road in a very down class. Montini for comparisons sake is also playing in a very down 5a but are a good team that just so happened to also get an easy-ish road.

A mediocre team that has won five games in a row by a combined score of 226-71 against teams that had a combined record of 47-6. In my opinion, any team that reaches the state championship game is not mediocre.

If Iowa (an average big 10 team) plays the MAC, sun belt, conference USA, and mountain west champs and crushes them they still receive no praise or respect.

It’s what is expected.

Unfortunately I believe JCA is in a similar situation.

Beating montini will give them the credibility they’re looking for.

Excellent turn around considering they wouldn’t be in the playoffs if ND’s qb was healthy.

If Iowa (an average big 10 team) plays the MAC, sun belt, conference USA, and mountain west champs and crushes them they still receive no praise or respect.

It’s what is expected.

Unfortunately I believe JCA is in a similar situation.

Beating montini will give them the credibility they’re looking for.

Excellent turn around considering they wouldn’t be in the playoffs if ND’s qb was healthy.

It was the RB. We will never know. But JCA did put up 31 points on NND. It is by no means a foregone conclusion that NND wins with Gavin healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT