ADVERTISEMENT

The fallout in Lake Zurich begins.................

This would be laughable if it wasn't such a disgrace. So many people in denial. I guarantee, players knew, parents knew, coaches knew, secretaries knew, janitors knew, teachers knew and administrators knew. They all knew and attempted to sweep it under the carpet.

More proof that money and income don't buy class and integrity. Lake Zurich is 13th in household income in Illinois and 176th in the country. Bunch of spoiled white boys thinking they can do and get away with anything because mommy and daddy have money. I sincerely hope lots of people are prosecuted in this. Rotten to the core.

Reactions: kpjasion
The first apologist I heard just called into Laurence Holmes on The Score… Laura…

"This must've been an isolated incident because those coaches are wonderful men. My son played there for four years and never told me anything like this was happening"

Laura "Paterno", LZ truther!

Reactions: guerinfbfan
That's almost word for word what I heard happened about a month ago. Disgusting

If texters to The Score are to be believed, this has gone on since 1998.

Laura who called Holmes can go pound sand.

This would be laughable if it wasn't such a disgrace. So many people in denial. I guarantee, players knew, parents knew, coaches knew, secretaries knew, janitors knew, teachers knew and administrators knew. They all knew and attempted to sweep it under the carpet.

More proof that money and income don't buy class and integrity. Lake Zurich is 13th in household income in Illinois and 176th in the country. Bunch of spoiled white boys thinking they can do and get away with anything because mommy and daddy have money. I sincerely hope lots of people are prosecuted in this. Rotten to the core.

I would never condone anything that is alleged in the lawsuit but you have to remember you have only heard one side of the story and the people speaking to the media currently have an incentive to make the events seem as horrific as possible. Everything they said could very well be true but ill with hold judgement until all the parties have their day.

I would never condone anything that is alleged in the lawsuit but you have to remember you have only heard one side of the story and the people speaking to the media currently have an incentive to make the events seem as horrific as possible. Everything they said could very well be true but ill with hold judgement until all the parties have their day.
SMH

Bunch of spoiled white boys thinking they can do and get away with anything because mommy and daddy have money.

Miracle Whip: You're criticizing irresponsible young men of privilege who think they can do whatever they want with someone else's private parts.

Are you turning over a new leaf?

Last edited:
I've been involved with gathering facts and helping report on this situation.

I'm so very glad that the TV and radio media have latched into this now because this is worthy of their attention and all of our attention.

The "it's no big deal" mantra that still exists there is just stunningly bad. How any parent or kid can think that this kind of behavior is ok is just stunning.

The next shoe to drop will be formal criminal charges against the kids that were the ring leaders. Though they are minors, if the names do leak out you'll be stunned that these guys are the headliners of the program.

Anyone that thinks this is no big deal or over-blown (poor choice of word there) is part of the problem.

Reactions: LWFG and Quags57
If texters to The Score are to be believed, this has gone on since 1998.

Laura who called Holmes can go pound sand.

It seems crazy that so many people now claim to know it was going on, where were they 20 years ago? Why did they keep quiet? We had an isolated case of this happening at my school, it took about 3 days for it to surface.

Bunch of spoiled white boys thinking they can do and get away with anything because mommy and daddy have money.

Miracle Whip: You're criticizing irresponsible young men of privilege who think they can do whatever they want with someone else's private parts.

You really do blow at life! You take a situation that involves sexual abuse and turn it political...SMH

Hope everyone involved receives justice and that this has not been going on as long as some people suggest.

Shocked

Last edited:
Great question. Most parents in that town are acting like this is no big deal.

Surprise Surprise
Again tell me why any form of hazing leads to good things. Some on here tried to make light of the situation. It's disgusting and I have a hard time understanding how this was hidden for so long? This just shows how sick people can be. These parents/coaches/teachers & principal should all be prosecuted to the fullest. Let the hammer fall!

The obstruction by the parents in terms of how they refused to cooperate with local police is even more disturbing. Major cultural problem in Lake Zurich.

The "hey it's not my kid" mantra needs to stop.

How does this become normal? Who comes out for football with this going on? Yes, the handling by the responsible adults is beyond awful, but these aren't little kids we're talking about. They're old enough to know it's wrong to do and to not have it done to them, and how to go to the authorities if they were powerless to stop it.

I for the life of me cant understand how this becomes tradition.

It seems crazy that so many people now claim to know it was going on, where were they 20 years ago? Why did they keep quiet? We had an isolated case of this happening at my school, it took about 3 days for it to surface.
Scared? Embarrassed? Threatened?

You really do blow at life! You take a situation that involves sexual abuse and turn it political...SMH

Hope everyone involved receives justice and that this has not been going on as long as some people suggest.

Shocked
You realize he was quoting another post in this thread, right?

Reactions: MC63
How does this become normal? Who comes out for football with this going on? Yes, the handling by the responsible adults is beyond awful, but these aren't little kids we're talking about. They're old enough to know it's wrong to do and to not have it done to them, and how to go to the authorities if they were powerless to stop it.

I for the life of me cant understand how this becomes tradition.

Totally agree Bones. I talked to several players here and they all can't believe how this happens. Who even thinks of something this ridiculous? Sad day for LZ!

Scared? Embarrassed? Threatened?

I agree with everything folks have said. Something horrible happened and heads need to roll and a culture change needs to be implemented. Even the LZ folks are not disputing something hideous happened.

Agree one of the things that is concerning in the aftermath is the current players parents reaction and hinderance in the investigation. Shocking.

One part that I am not so sure on is the claims this has been going on for 20 years. If you speak to some of the former players - they are shocked. They will tell you that there has always been a tradition of doing non invasive things like making kids sign fight songs, wear a cheer outfit etc. but nothing heinous or illegal happened like what transpired last fall. I know folks could say singing fight song or wearing cheer outfit is still bullying/hazing - but it is a far cry from sexual abuse and criminal acts. As this process moves forward - they will get to the bottom of it and we will know for sure if last fall was an aberration or part of a long and sick history.

This is so sad. I'm doubting they field a football team (or are allowed to) next year

Reactions: Gene K.
The first apologist I heard just called into Laurence Holmes on The Score… Laura…

"This must've been an isolated incident because those coaches are wonderful men. My son played there for four years and never told me anything like this was happening"

Laura "Paterno", LZ truther!

Catch:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Although I am not a devotee to sports-talk radio, I can imagine "Laura" was neither the first nor the only parent who attempted to defend the indefensible here. As expected, it turns out some delusional true believers exist despite an abundance of evidence against the perpetrators and a string of adults who now claim they were unaware of the carnival atmosphere which prevailed in LZ's locker rooms.

In addition to some dimwitted parents who will insist this was an "isolated" incident, what I found mind-bending was the poorly-written, almost mechanical statement from the LZ administration, which read:

"The district is committed to creating a positive culture that does not tolerate hazing of any kind."

Gee...................what a relief!

I am not sure in which corner of the universe the administrators in Lake Zurich live, but what occurred in their locker room is not hazing in the least. To the contrary, it is a monstrous scandal and the actions amounted to assault and occasionally sexual assault and a statement refusing to acknowledge assault won't fool anyone as the drip, drip, drip of facts continue to roll out.

Shoving a broomstick into the rectum of a teen-aged boy is not hazing.

Rather than facing reality, the LZ administration appears to be turning from it with a pledge to mount a hazing-prevention program, which will accomplish nothing. In announcing this unprofitable measure, the district is merely launching a barely-disguised campaign to provide legal refuge for future negligence and forestalling honest public debate or full accountability for what occurred.

These "anti-anything" programs are nothing more than feel-good rituals in which students and faculty are forced to endure tedious lectures from so-called area experts endlessly sermonizing on some social issue. An incident of this magnitude is in no need of a self-righteous orator pounding his fist on a podium and engaging in a logorrheic presentation replete with handouts, pie charts, a PowerPoint presentation and video clips to stir a man's conscience and impress upon an audience what constitutes collegiality among teen-aged boys.

Only through a voluminous and comprehensive investigation followed by vigorous prosecution will incidents such as these cease.

These allegations are hardly sick fabrications. If the gloomy portrait emerging from LZ is a phenomenon which has occurred for two decades, I find it increasingly difficult to believe it was a well-kept secret. Episodes such as this do not remain hidden for very long in a high school setting.

With respect to the administration at LZ, no tersely-worded statement will satisfy: Facts and reason tend to overcome charming public statements.

As far as "Laura," well, one can admire her Borgia-like blind loyalty for so long before it becomes tragic comedy.

You realize he was quoting another post in this thread, right?

Look again. His response to the quote was political. Dr.'s post had nothing to do with politics.

Surprise Surprise
Again tell me why any form of hazing leads to good things. Some on here tried to make light of the situation. It's disgusting and I have a hard time understanding how this was hidden for so long? This just shows how sick people can be. These parents/coaches/teachers & principal should all be prosecuted to the fullest. Let the hammer fall!

Certainly, hazing like this does not lead to good things. If true, these allegations are disgusting, repulsive and very sad.

However, I stand by the position I took a month or so ago when this was the topic of an earlier thread. At that time, I said that there's a difference between clean and light-hearted team building exercises that make kids step out of their comfort zones and hazing that involves bullying and dangerous/abhorrent/deviant behavior. I still think there should be room for the former within high school football programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
Certainly, hazing like this does not lead to good things. If true, these allegations are disgusting and repulsive.

However, I stand by the position I took a month or so ago when this was the topic of an earlier thread. At that time, I said that there's a difference between clean and light-hearted team building exercises that make kids step out of their comfort zones and hazing that involves bullying and dangerous/abhorrent/deviant behavior. I still think there should be room for the former within high school football programs.
You should call what is being alleged by what it really is. This isn't hazing

Clown:

I am not implying you are thick as two short planks, but are you really suggesting there could be "another" side to this? Does your post signal the hair-raising details revealed in a handful of newspaper articles obscure a justification for the insertion of a broomstick into either the mouth or rectum of a teen-age boy (I theorize it is the rectum, BTW)?

If the newspapers contain the eerie allegation of how some members of the LZ football team harnessed a new and creative use for a broomstick on a tender-aged teammate, imagine what lie in a legal brief and what will be revealed when the court system administers justice.

I'm not the brightest guy in the forum, but I learned decades ago if it looks like s^it and it smells like s^it, it is probably s^it.

If you want to fall into s^it and convince yourself it's a patch of clover, by all means be my guest, but I'll make my judgments based on a broomstick.

The actions at LZ are disgraceful all around. But the administration of the school itself, the superintendent and the school board have made this issue worse and show a complete and utter systematic failure of management. Every level of management tried to obscure or cover up what happened.

The earlier reporting on the incident only hinted at what happened in the initial act, which coincides almost to a T what I had heard of in early Nov.

But the report on the management of it and addressing what could only be described in the most generous terms as severe hazing, but, in reality was assault and sexual assault, is WORSE than anything imaginable. The Dean of Students, who oh by the way is the asst. coach, not only was informed of the first incident in Sept. but also had a conference call with the victims parents in very early Oct. AND THEN SOMETHING WORSE HAPPENED after that b/c he saw it as no big deal.

in other words a person in a position of authority had "prior notice" of the problem and ignored it to allow a worse act to occur. That is the definition of negligence and within a reasonably short timeframe.

on top of it when the second incident happened the administration continued to delay, obfuscate, and cover up the issue so more games could be played by the very perpetrators.

Then word finally leaks out and they have this report done by counsel, but, what is the use of a report when you black out and redact all the pertinent details under "confidentiality" concerns, which is a time honored government employee/panel method of actually not releasing any info, merely continuing the lack of accountability. the only items that needed to be redacted in the report was the name of the victims as well as perpetrators (b/c they are minors) everything else should have been disclosed.

ONLY b/c of the detail in the lawsuit (federal!) filing do we have a better picture. The "20 years" of hazing issues is almost a non-issue (its not) in the current incident(s), focus on them, the lack of management and accountability is appalling.

This school district is going to lose MILLIONS in this suit, not by a sole incident but because they had recent prior notice of a serious problem and did nothing to prevent the following incident. The players who had anything to do with this? Will never play FB again, they will be lucky to stay out of court.

And for those geniuses (especially LZ parents) out there who think it was "no big deal"and want to know what the fuss is? let me ask you this....if some stranger grabbed your 14-17 year old child off the street, threw them in a shower, stripped their clothes off them, then urinated on them, slapped their face with their genitals and (maybe) made them perform oral sex on them, what would you do? Your mildest reaction would be to call the cops, your more likely course of action would to be to get a baseball bat or shotgun and go out looking for them.

Lastly, the two victims described in this lawsuit? They are the poster children for emotional trauma with pain and suffering. Think about it, there is no way they can stay at LZ, much less hang out with friends in town or even walk down the street. Everyone involved knows who they are. they will be stigmatized even 25 years down the road if they were still living in the area as the "boy who go pissed on" or "got our FB team in trouble"

Yes Lake Zurich at every level of administration up to the school board these are the "adults" you entrusted to care for your children to, how happy are you with that?

Reactions: Quags57 and Gene K.
Clown:

I am not implying you are thick as two short planks, but are you really suggesting there could be "another" side to this? Does your post signal the hair-raising details revealed in a handful of newspaper articles obscure a justification for the insertion of a broomstick into either the mouth or rectum of a teen-age boy (I theorize it is the rectum, BTW)?

If the newspapers contain the eerie allegation of how some members of the LZ football team harnessed a new and creative use for a broomstick on a tender-aged teammate, imagine what lie in a legal brief and what will be revealed when the court system administers justice.

I'm not the brightest guy in the forum, but I learned decades ago if it looks like s^it and it smells like s^it, it is probably s^it.

If you want to fall into s^it and convince yourself it's a patch of clover, by all means be my guest, but I'll make my judgments based on a broomstick.

No all I'm saying is I'm not going to make any judgement on this until everything plays out in court and not in the media. Everything that has been said may very well be true but it is only based off what the accuser have said since the best I can tell the other sources that have been released are heavily redacted.

I don't want to really get into it but I was falsely accused of something years back and any time money is involved some people will exaggerate to flat out lie to get what they want. I'm not saying they are doing either but we don't know that so why not let the legal system play out?

How does this become normal? ... I for the life of me cant understand how this becomes tradition.

I suspect that people connected with the program over the years mistakenly equated the success of that program with the immoral actions involved in their traditions. In their own minds, they adopted those immoral actions as the ends (success) justifying the means (deviant hazing). The twisted logic and subjective relativism begin to really spin out of control when folks start equating any temporary lack of success with not following the traditions closely enough or with the traditions needing to be even more severe/bizarre/deviant in order to return to, and exceed, past levels of success.

How's that for dime store psychology?

In all seriousness, I think there's more than a grain of truth to the above.

We've become a society of overachievers -- even when it comes to deviant behavior. We have developed a proclivity to take everything to the extreme. Nobody is satisfied with what worked last year, last month, last week or yesterday. If we are doing something today, it has to be bigger/better/bolder/stronger than it was the last time we did it.

Last edited:

Shocked
He's not alone. You've long proven yourself to be a phony, as well.

Look again. His response to the quote was political. Dr.'s post had nothing to do with politics.

It was directly opposite of his attitude toward the behavior of public figures. He's a fraud and so are you.

'Nuf said. Getting too close to the subject of politics. If you want to get kicked off the board, well, bon voyage!

If the timeline of 20 years is even remotely close to being accurate, just think of how many victims eventually became perpetrators. Kids were made to suffer through perverse and degrading acts as freshmen, and three years later, when they are seniors, they are likely the ones doing the same terrible things to others.

I completely agree that we need to quit calling this the hazing incident at Lake Zurich… It's the criminal sexual assault incident(s) at Lake Zurich.

Reactions: Gene K.
My God - where the EFF were the checks and balances of power in that room. I'm just flabbergasted that this happened in the first place and seem to proliferate over decades. Did no one on that team have a little brother they wanted to protect?

I understand there are hierarchies - I carried the bags/boards each practice and water buckets during games as a sophomore. After the games, I grabbed beers from the cooler for the seniors ... but those seniors were also cool enough to buy our beer. There was camaraderie because without us as the scout team, where would the team be?

I don't think an IHSA death penalty is out of the question.

Agree, because it sure does not seem like there are any adults in LZ to get it under control, the IHSA may have to step in. But then again, the IHSA will form a committee and study it for a year, then have six months of public comment then will table it for further discussion at the next executive committee.

I don't think an IHSA death penalty is out of the question.

I'm very curious to see what action the IHSA takes. And before anyone thinks they can't, lake zurich is a member of IHSA which governs HS sports in Illinois. There's a clause in the by-laws about governance and institutional control.

I have a very hard time seeing this program fielding a team for the 2017 season.

Reactions: EdgyTim
The suit alleges that it's more than just football, it's a full institutional problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT