ADVERTISEMENT

Phys Ed standards

Public school students in Illinois require 7 semesters of PE /1 semester of Health.
Private school students are up to each school. Most private require 2 sem. of PE / 1 sem. Health.

I am at a loss as to why a school district would build a building which did not provide adequate PE space, since PE has been required forever...Sure, if you have a 100 year old elementary, the cafeteria/gym is probably inadequate, but adapt your course to the space...But if your new high schools (Plainfield) can afford pools, your new elementary schools can certainly afford basic gym space...

Alternative pe should be the choice - athletes should have a training course available, lifting & training for their sports, while non-athletic types could do lifestyle activities like walking, calisthenics, etc...I've seen outdoorsmen oriented pe, with camping, hiking, etc. focused upon. Don't tell me "we don't have enough gym space". Going for a walk doesn't require any expensive space or equipment...

My alma mater is listed as considering a waiver for some students...Don't eliminate PE, maybe pull kids out for help if they need it, but leave them in PE...I took a waiver starting second quarter my senior year, as I was taking probably the most difficult academic schedule possible then...despite playing hoops, playing baseball & running track I put on a bunch of weight between dropping pe & the end of the school year...In retrospect, waiving pe was a huge mistake for a study hall...

In the public schools - I don’t understand why students can’t take a fitness test to “pass out” of the required PE classes as freshman and sophormers. A lot of the athletes are super fit and would probably much rather take weight training instread of the mandatory underclassmen PE classes with badminton, pickle ball, dance, etc etc.

In the public schools - I don’t understand why students can’t take a fitness test to “pass out” of the required PE classes as freshman and sophormers. A lot of the athletes are super fit and would probably much rather take weight training instread of the mandatory underclassmen PE classes with badminton, pickle ball, dance, etc etc.

Not all schools have a true lifting PE class.

In the public schools - I don’t understand why students can’t take a fitness test to “pass out” of the required PE classes.

This is one factor where school size makes a difference. Many smaller schools only have general PE...Manteno dropped under 250 kids when I was a senior. There was one boys PE instructor, and one girls PE teacher. Girls got half the gym in winter, boys got the other half (and we would play co-ed volleyball for at least a month). There was no breakdown by grade for required PE...you took PE where ever it fit in your schedule, and the class would have freshmen, sophs, juniors & seniors in it. Part of the freshman introduction was to have some mouthy freshman play center in flag football, with a senior stud playing nose tackle over him beating him to a pulp...Yes, I was that freshman (since we didn't play football then, it's how/why I learned to cut & chop block) and the 215 pound senior...

Now, I don't think a 650+ student MHS could do indoor PE unless a class is regularly using the weight room...It gives them the 2 halves of the main gym, the fieldhouse gym floor, the main gym balcony/wrestling room, and the fieldhouse weightroom as separate PE indoor spaces, with multiple teachers...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT