ADVERTISEMENT

They've conquered Illinois now to go national...

Yes I would agree with that. They might even be the favorite in 6A but I would echo Bones’ bet and I would also take the field (before I watched the game I was thinking they were pretty much a lock for the 6A title so I am really backtracking a lot).

I would be interested to even see an IC team play Phillips. I think IC might give them fits even if IC didn’t come out on top at the end of the game.
Would be very intrresting. Does IC throw it well enough to keep them honest. Saw highlights of IC’s running attack, which looks lethal

SHG was the 1st school that came to mind. I think the typical Griffin team handles Phillips. Then any team that typically plays hard nosed D that doesnt beat themselves like Prairie Ridge. I'd have to see the actual field this year to name any others.

Reactions: cocacoaler
Would be very intrresting. Does IC throw it well enough to keep them honest. Saw highlights of IC’s running attack, which looks lethal

Yes in years past they have had a nice passing game, (they didn’t need it a lot,..but it was there!)

Certainly wasn’t a good showing but I’m not going to be down on Phillips for losing to a nationally ranked school almost 3x enrollment.

With a kicker and without a bonehead final 60secs it’s a tie game at half. That last 60 secs and the long td to start 3rd turned a tie game into blowout in no less than 2 mins of gametime. It certainly felt like a game Phillips needed to play close to perfect to win but they had the straw that broke the back moment and things snowballed. No telling how big of effect that momentum killer had on 2nd half play and exasperated fatigue factor.

I agree their defense scheme is not going to work against balanced top tier schools. I did think their d line seemed a bit stronger in 2nd/3rd (was Dominic Bass playing 1Q?), but with the halftime adjustments their secondary was toast - some misdirection running an eligible receiver from a non wideout spot was cringeworthy to watch.

Offense they’ll figure out consistency and be tough to stop. D they better be prepared to adjust against wrong matchup. I’d be surprised not to see them in 6A finals (fully agree they’d be eaten up by top tier 7/8A schools without a drastically diff defense)

Certainly wasn’t a good showing but I’m not going to be down on Phillips for losing to a nationally ranked school almost 3x enrollment.

With a kicker and without a bonehead final 60secs it’s a tie game at half. That last 60 secs and the long td to start 3rd turned a tie game into blowout in no less than 2 mins of gametime. It certainly felt like a game Phillips needed to play close to perfect to win but they had the straw that broke the back moment and things snowballed. No telling how big of effect that momentum killer had on 2nd half play and exasperated fatigue factor.

I agree their defense scheme is not going to work against balanced top tier schools. I did think their d line seemed a bit stronger in 2nd/3rd (was Dominic Bass playing 1Q?), but with the halftime adjustments their secondary was toast - some misdirection running an eligible receiver from a non wideout spot was cringeworthy to watch.

Offense they’ll figure out consistency and be tough to stop. D they better be prepared to adjust against wrong matchup. I’d be surprised not to see them in 6A finals (fully agree they’d be eaten up by top tier 7/8A schools without a drastically diff defense)
Why is it so damn hard to find a kicker? Easy points they’re giving up.

Gonna venture a guess that not many kids on their roster have spent a whole bunch of time kicking a ball
It’s about time they figure it out. With all of those transfers they can’t find a kid to make a chip shot?

Guys (and gals, if there are any), I must say I get a kick out of all the talk re: the prospects of Phillips beating such-and-such 7A/8A team. They haven't even played in a 6A post-season yet!! I'll repeat it one more time for clarity: winning 5A, even in an impressive fashion, says nothing regarding their 6A future. Heck, there are even comments in this thread regarding Rochester giving them trouble, at least in the offensive passing department. I realize part of the fun on these boards are the what-ifs passed back and forth, but it's still interesting reading some of them.

Guys (and gals, if there are any), I must say I get a kick out of all the talk re: the prospects of Phillips beating such-and-such 7A/8A team. They haven't even played in a 6A post-season yet!! I'll repeat it one more time for clarity: winning 5A, even in an impressive fashion, says nothing regarding their 6A future. Heck, there are even comments in this thread regarding Rochester giving them trouble, at least in the offensive passing department. I realize part of the fun on these boards are the what-ifs passed back and forth, but it's still interesting reading some of them.
I’m still waiting to hear who in 6A besides SHG can beat them. I guess it’s a trick question.

I’m still waiting to hear who in 6A besides SHG can beat them. I guess it’s a trick question.

Notwithstanding my previous comments regarding Phillips, it ain't going to be SHG who beats them. SHG will not even get out of the Southern Bracket. Not saying they aren't decent, but the team this year is missing that certain "it" teams need to excel. I can sense things about teams which even go beyond the Xs and Os, and let's just say they don't pass the "smell test". In addition, I think they will show that they are a slow team overall,
especially when trying to match up with some of the better teams which will be in the 6A South, much less trying to win a championship against a North Bracket team..

I am curious to know if you still think they are the only ones who could beat Phillips, now that I have given you the analysis and insight on the team.(By the way, Phillips itself still has some work to do if they want to play in week 14!).

Lol...so no to comparing resumes? I said arguably. And you never answered the question, would any of the top 3 8A teams in Illinois beat Phillips as handily as they got beaten today.

first off, just because you played in high school and in college does not make you football smart about anything. as we read your comments, it only makes the later more true.
i honestly do not care if you played a down on a practice field. or went on to play in nfl and got cut after the second play. opinions are just that opinions.
and if you think phillips is one of the best teams in illinois right now, you are very sadly mistaken. their coaching staff showed, they cannot at this point of the year(first game) make any adjustments.
lwe, ms, loyola would have given this team a valued game.
reasoning: because they are ALL better prepared game1 teams. estl is a top performing team on any given season and always athletic enough to PLAY with any team. and they have proved it.

and as bones has showed in his discussions. there are plenty of teams that could hang with ohio teams. phillips is 4a team better suited to play 5a (public)teams. which for a recruited team, does not mean much.(talented yes, disciplined no) and that is mostly because of coaching. if you cannot adjust to what is in front of your lines on either side of the ball. you are just playing on talent alone.
maybe your statements should be: ohio may have better coaching staffs than illinois. but, to say they just have much more talent than is foolish at best.

Notwithstanding my previous comments regarding Phillips, it ain't going to be SHG who beats them. SHG will not even get out of the Southern Bracket. Not saying they aren't decent, but the team this year is missing that certain "it" teams need to excel. I can sense things about teams which even go beyond the Xs and Os, and let's just say they don't pass the "smell test". In addition, I think they will show that they are a slow team overall,
especially when trying to match up with some of the better teams which will be in the 6A South, much less trying to win a championship against a North Bracket team..

I am curious to know if you still think they are the only ones who could beat Phillips, now that I have given you the analysis and insight on the team.(By the way, Phillips itself still has some work to do if they want to play in week 14!).
It won’t be anyone from the FVC and unfortunately my homeyism, if that’s even a word, has kept me from really learning about other conferences. I was just curious who else has the offense to take them down.

It won’t be anyone from the FVC and unfortunately my homeyism, if that’s even a word, has kept me from really learning about other conferences. I was just curious who else has the offense to take them down.

I think at this point in the season, it is probably easier to say who WON'T take them down than to say who might. I will say that the way NOT to beat them would be to play sandlot ball with them strictly on an athletic-skill basis. The 6A team who beats them will have to out-scheme, out-discipline, out-hustle and out-mistake-free-ball them. Some posters have commented on their less-than-stellar kicking game. Could that end up being the difference in a game?

By the way, homeyism sounds fine to me!

Reactions: Trojan Fox
I think at this point in the season, it is probably easier to say who WON'T take them down than to say who might. I will say that the way NOT to beat them would be to play sandlot ball with them strictly on an athletic-skill basis. The 6A team who beats them will have to out-scheme, out-discipline, out-hustle and out-mistake-free-ball them. Some posters have commented on their less-than-stellar kicking game. Could that end up being the difference in a game?

By the way, homeyism sounds fine to me!

I agree, why don't we wait for Phillips to win a game before we give them the 6A Championship.

While they have all the best talent on paper, the most talented team does not always win. Last year, NAZ had a hell of alot more talent than PR, as did other teams, yet PR still won.

There is ALOT of football left to be played, and I still think the 6A champ will not be Phillips.

first off, just because you played in high school and in college does not make you football smart about anything. as we read your comments, it only makes the later more true.
i honestly do not care if you played a down on a practice field. or went on to play in nfl and got cut after the second play. opinions are just that opinions.
and if you think phillips is one of the best teams in illinois right now, you are very sadly mistaken. their coaching staff showed, they cannot at this point of the year(first game) make any adjustments.
lwe, ms, loyola would have given this team a valued game.
reasoning: because they are ALL better prepared game1 teams. estl is a top performing team on any given season and always athletic enough to PLAY with any team. and they have proved it.

and as bones has showed in his discussions. there are plenty of teams that could hang with ohio teams. phillips is 4a team better suited to play 5a (public)teams. which for a recruited team, does not mean much.(talented yes, disciplined no) and that is mostly because of coaching. if you cannot adjust to what is in front of your lines on either side of the ball. you are just playing on talent alone.
maybe your statements should be: ohio may have better coaching staffs than illinois. but, to say they just have much more talent than is foolish at best.
I agree with a lot of what you’ve said. And for what it’s worth, I didn’t make it personal until Bowie did. Do you think Phillips wins 6A this year?

In the MAxPreps 100 preseason, not one IL team is ranked. Two from MO - Trinity, which lost to a top-40 GA team and CBC.

Georgia has a ton of teams in the top - as does Ohio, CA, TX, FL and the east coast.

I like this poll.

State of Washington has one team in the top 100 (Eastside Catholic) at #56.

Does this mean Washington football is >_ Illinois Football? ;)

Reactions: Cross Bones
With all due respect, I think Loyola, LWE, Maine South would all be very competitive with this pickerington team.
Not sure about the other teams...but after watching LWE against my Warriors Friday night they would have easily went "toe to toe" with the Pickering team. From what I saw Friday from LWE vs seeing LWE last year this years team may be slightly better & deeper at every position! Definitely more talented at the skill positions. The D-Line are "Monsters", RB "ELECTRIC", WR's Big, Physical & excellent route runners, QB Big & accurate, O-Line "STRONG" & punishing. This team will wear you down in the 2nd half and impose its will. C-M beat them a couple of times DEEP with play action / speed running by the DB's and late Safety coverage. Something they can easily cleanup. Its hard seeing this team being challenged enroute to another title. BUT THAT'S WHY YOU PLAY THE GAMES....#GOWARRIRORS

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said. And for what it’s worth, I didn’t make it personal until Bowie did. Do you think Phillips wins 6A this year?
You are right. I did attack you personally. However, the attack did pertain to your knowledge of the Illinois high school football landscape. No hard feelings...I hope. This will be another fun year and I look forward to your contributions to the Board. What rubbed me the wrong way and others on this thread (although, I do not want to put words in the mouths of others) is the hubris related to the title of your thread and some pretty bold statements concerning Phillips.

Truth is this Pickerington C team was not physically imposing. They weren't all 4.4 40's out there. They simply executed plays (outside of early inability to stop a simple dive) and didn't make mistakes. There's a lot of teams that fit that mold. I don't know if people have noticed but the team with the most D1 players doesnt win the most championships in IL. Believe me, I can attest to it.

I guess a good question to ask would be which of the 7A and 8A playoff teams do not win the 5 games Phillips won in order to win 5A?

You are right. I did attack you personally. However, the attack did pertain to your knowledge of the Illinois high school football landscape. No hard feelings...I hope. This will be another fun year and I look forward to your contributions to the Board. What rubbed me the wrong way and others on this thread (although, I do not want to put words in the mouths of others) is the hubris related to the title of your thread and some pretty bold statements concerning Phillips.
I was not the one who created the thread. My initial comment, I believe I said that it was a glaring reminder of where Illinois high school football stands in relation to the big 5. And no, there are no hard feelings. We are both here because we enjoy high school football, which alone would warrant me buying you a beer if I ever met you in person.

Reactions: IgorStL and Bowie50
I was not the one who created the thread. My initial comment, I believe I said that it was a glaring reminder of where Illinois high school football stands in relation to the big 5. And no, there are no hard feelings. We are both here because we enjoy high school football, which alone would warrant me buying you a beer if I ever met you in person.
I would gladly enjoy a beer with you!

If my Dad was alive today he would have said “Look at those skinny arms on Phillips” God bless him. Last year Phillips had a tank of a RB, they don’t have that this year. They don’t have the one year rental of Terrance Taylor. Their QB, another transfer BTW, is not as good as the QB they had. Like I said before, the game went downhill when the linemen had hands on the hips after the third drive.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
If my Dad was alive today he would have said “Look at those skinny arms on Phillips” God bless him. Last year Phillips had a tank of a RB, they don’t have that this year. They don’t have the one year rental of Terrance Taylor. Their QB, another transfer BTW, is not as good as the QB they had. Like I said before, the game went downhill when the linemen had hands on the hips after the third drive.
That is hilarious. I thought the same thing watching yesterday.

Everyone is jumping the gun, Thats why you schedules these types of games to see where you are at and what you need to work on. Again that was the first game of the season. I for one do not put much stake in the 2 games at start of the season use those for preparing for Oct. Playing a tough schedule will get you ready

Last edited:

honestly, there are more than just few 6a teams that can and will make a game with phillips. but, again it is only game1. they can make adjustments, they ave the personnel to be able to accomplish.
i base alot off what i watch and know. just looking at phillips teams versus my dogz, last year was phillips probably best team(TEAM) i mean. all around athletic and most position had 2 or 3deep of talent. the dogz were good(not great) had some very good talent in spots. a slower than usual linebacking core. and we always have a small oline. but no excuses, anyway they lost that game2 by 10,12 pts or something whatever. should have been able to blow them out with the talent in the backfield. again only game2 and they built off of that game big time. and continued to rollover teams then.
this years phillips team looks not as talented(superstar) physical. but, yes they will be very good come the middle of the season and if they can stay healthy, will be thorn in someones side. and the bigger problem in 6a is never know who is going to drop down from 7a or move up from 5a. but, i know the coaches like the challenge in the begining of the season so they can mold these kids correctly.
6a is/should be another year of very good field of teams. you will get a good mix of teams with horses they can ride, teams with big olines, and some with just good at athletic spots. some very good a passing game, some just running games. and some just a real good mix of both.
but, for my dogz, to get tested early is very beneficial for them. so far game1 and game2 are going to be their oline tests. these two teams they going play have big boys in front of them. and if we can stand in there with both will be fun to watch.
lwc was big up front and quick on both sides of the ball, but we were able to move the ball on them.
sr - is going to be a team that plain and simple is coming fired the fup. but, if we can withstand the high pressure and come out with no mistakes. then it anybodies game. hopefully the dogz can come out on top.

This might be a different CG team this year, McDonald can throw and with Priester catching, teams are not going to stuff 9 in the box. i'm not saying you're going to see 25 passes a game, but you will see TDs.

It I don’t think That’s totally fair - Sometimes it’s about matchups. you guys have a bad matchup with Phillips because you are run heavy correct? You play right into the strength of Phillips which is their run D and their love of stuffing the box and playing no safety over the top (not even a single high - crazy).

Teams that can pass would all be salivating and lining up to play Phillips in a non con game. NC should have begged them for a non con game instead of LWE. I would so so much rather WV play Phillips in week 4 than Edwardsville!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT