ADVERTISEMENT

They've conquered Illinois now to go national...

Buck,

I can certainly see your opinion and find it valued. Hoban(even though Div II)this year I believe is probably Ohio’s best. I also believe that Massillon is a bit off their normal form this year and hence I didn’t mention them directly in my post. Colerain I think is also quite special this season. In December we will certainly know whether I was right or wrong.

Bones,

As Buck pointed out St Ed’s has been a bit off the past few years and while GBN only lost by 5 a few years back a large number of those points were scored after the game was pretty well in hand and the 2’s and 3’s were in playing in the 4th. You have made some valuable points and as they say, any given day any team can beat another, but if you took a 10 game series of the Ohio best against the Illinois best Ohio takes 7 of the 10.

I disagreed with what jwari said that they are a Top 10ish team in Ohio this year. They are one of the two best.

As a program they are indeed on another level. But the last few years they haven't been state title contenders. Central played a good game against them last year. I was there. The talent depth at Ed's won that game.

No one ever stated or implied that the forgoing teams would “run Phillips over.” Your words. You also stated that phillip’s was “arguably the best team in Illinois.” Seems as though most folks participating in this thread disagree with you. You are all over the road, my man,
Answer this question, wise one; do you think LWE, MS, or Loyola would beat Phillips by 30 if they played them? What’s with the sensitivity? And what, you know more about Illinois high school football because you’ve been a member of this board longer? I’ll tell you what, if you want to compare resumes, I will post my name publicly, where I played high school and college ball, and you do the same.

Answer this question, wise one; do you think LWE, MS, or Loyola would beat Phillips by 30 if they played them? What’s with the sensitivity? And what, you know more about Illinois high school football because you’ve been a member of this board longer? I’ll tell you what, if you want to compare resumes, I will post my name publicly, where I played high school and college ball, and you do the same.
This escalated quickly.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Well, when you start throwing salvos out about someone’s football knowledge, be ready to step up to the microphone. If not, keep it peaceful
You’re right. Phillips is the best team in IL and no team could stop their O. Go take a shit in the lake. Mic dropping....now.

Washington or Jackson? I would assume Washington. At Eastside? If in Massillon you need to go just to see the way they support that team. Incredible. I guess when you play in Paul Brown Stadium it gives you a little something extra.

Washington and yes Paul Brown stadium
432b595a32bba31866a4ab6a68fef1bf.jpg

I think what most people take issue with is some of the statements thrown out there by others such as:

1 “Phillips conquered IL - now onto the national stage.” Ie the title of this thread?

2. “Phillips is arguably the best team in the state”. From one of the posts.

3. “ who could even score on Phillips” I’m paraphrasing that one. From one of the posts.

They May have climbed the peak in small and mid size School Ball,...but one last minute win over Loyola with Winergate keeping 8 LA starters out of the game does not mean they are the best team in the state last year or this year. Many posters see some real flaws and weaknesses that many larger school teams would definitely be able to exploit. No one ever said the other top teams in IL would blow out Phillips like Pickering did - but if they cover like they did in that game and cough up the rock 4 or 5 times like they did.... yeah I could see a few top IL teams running a train through Phillips like Pickering did. Give Phillips credit though - they are out looking for the best games they can. That’s awesome! ESL does the same thing.

You’re right. Phillips is the best team in IL and no team could stop their O. Go take a shit in the lake. Mic dropping....now.
Lol...so no to comparing resumes? I said arguably. And you never answered the question, would any of the top 3 8A teams in Illinois beat Phillips as handily as they got beaten today.

I think what most people take issue with is some of the statements thrown out there by others such as:

1 “Phillips conquered IL - now onto the national stage.” Ie the title of this thread?

2. “Phillips is arguably the best team in the state”. From one of the posts.

3. “ who could even score on Phillips” I’m paraphrasing that one. From one of the posts.

They May have climbed the peak in small and mid size School Ball,...but one last minute win over Loyola with Winergate keeping 8 LA starters out of the game does not mean they are the best team in the state last year or this year. Many posters see some real flaws and weaknesses that many larger school team would definitely be able to exploit. No one ever said the other top teams in IL would blow out Phillips like Pickering did - but if they cover like they did in that game and cough up the rock 4 or 5 times like they did.... yeah I could see a few top IL teams running a train through Phillips like Pickering did. Give Phillips credit though - they are out looking for the best games they can. That’s awesome! ESL does the same thing.
I agree with all of this. Most notably, I agree that Phillips should be applauded for seeking out the best competition.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Buck,

I can certainly see your opinion and find it valued. Hoban(even though Div II)this year I believe is probably Ohio’s best. I also believe that Massillon is a bit off their normal form this year and hence I didn’t mention them directly in my post. Colerain I think is also quite special this season. In December we will certainly know whether I was right or wrong.

Bones,

As Buck pointed out St Ed’s has been a bit off the past few years and while GBN only lost by 5 a few years back a large number of those points were scored after the game was pretty well in hand and the 2’s and 3’s were in playing in the 4th. You have made some valuable points and as they say, any given day any team can beat another, but if you took a 10 game series of the Ohio best against the Illinois best Ohio takes 7 of the 10.

Colerain is always top notch. One of the best in Cincy for sure. Trotwood-Madison in Dayton is very similar in style and tradition.

Hoban is always very good and they play a tough as hell schedule, as do most top schools in the state. This year they are exceptional.

The way the playoffs are set up in Ohio it is a much more difficult road than the road an IL team has to run through. Just in Cincy alone you have to get through St. X, Colerain, Elder, Moe, Princeton, Anderson, Lakota, etc. Then you get to play the best of Dayton (Huber Heights Wayne, Centerville, Trotwood), then the best of Columbus (Pick C, Hilliard, Westerville schools, Dublin schools) and all of that before you have to face a Cleveland area team in the finals (Iggy, Eds, Warren Harding, Mentor, etal). That's one hell of a gamut to run.

Lol...so no to comparing resumes? I said arguably. And you never answered the question, would any of the top 3 8A teams in Illinois beat Phillips as handily as they got beaten today.
Not as handily, and no meathead, we are not comparing football resumes. Take it easy, Al Bundy.

Not as handily, and no meathead, we are not comparing football resumes. Take it easy, Al Bundy.
Retrace this debate from the beginning, and see who made it personal initially. If you can’t take the heat, apply some Vagisil and go lay down.

Reactions: NewFool
@jwarigaku I think 3 of 10 is actually competitive especially if there are very few or no blowouts in the series.

I don't think the top team gets blasted like Phillips did. I'd say 0 out of 10x.

6-1 Cover 0 looks good when you out talent teams every week. Not so much when it is against a talented team.

Who in 6a can come close to matching them talent wise? Richards? Cary Grove? SHG?

First game still has some kinks to work out. But with the competition Phillips is playing now. They will make a huge push come playoff time if no injuries. Against good opponents sometimes it’s not about victory. It’s about preparing for the end of the season, You have to not be afraid of a loss most teams are afraid to have a blemish on their record

Retrace this debate from the beginning, and see who made it personal initially. If you can’t take the heat, apply some Vagisil and go lay down.

Depends on who falls into 6A this year. I heard rumors that both LZ and Batavia could fall into 6A. Batavia had a nice passing game last year - not sure if the QB is back or not. LZ Defense could definitely shut down a run dominate offensive game (when LZ faces teams that don’t have balance they usually Stone them). SHG is always a tough out but I don’t know that much about them.

Because they are competitors and it relates to this topic, the Metro Stl teams fared poorly upstate and out of it. Lutheran North, playing a big school in Naz lost. Ic blew out ACHS. EAST Side lost out of state. And their week two opponent, Trinity gets whipped by a team playing its second game. Also in the mix is Vianney, big-school Stl Catholic and althoff’s Week 2, they lost by a few scores to Fayetteville, AR. IL/Mo ain’t beating no one out of state of significance. (Edwardsville tiptoed across the water for a tomato can warm up to a brutal stretch.)

Okay if you consider that competitive so be it.
Well for example in the last 10 regular season games Naz is 4-6 against JCA with Naz sustaining a few blowout losses. I assume you would consider 4-6 competitive, I would too even with the blowout losses. I would consider 3-7 competitive especially without any blowouts.

Reactions: USD24
Exactly! And let’s not forget that Phillips has only 653 students, so we can stop with the comparisons to schools that are over four times as large

Not that I want to go there - but it’s not exactly the same when you can have a lot of top players migrate to one particular school. It’s not like a hard boundary true public school like Herscher (oh man I can’t beleive I’m going there and putting on my HHS Poster Hat!). Bishop Gorman has about 1500 kids. IMG about 1200. If they were based in IL should they be in 6A?

Last edited:
Naz was absolutely not competitive with JCA in 2013 not even close in that 40-0 blowout. I was not addressing year to year series in my 7 of 10 to Ohio but rather same year repeats. Naz competitive the past 4 years yes, the game in 2011 absolutely, other years, I’d have to say no. I will be very interested to see how Naz competes after this year.

Well for example in the last 10 regular season games Naz is 4-6 against JCA with Naz sustaining a few blowout losses. I assume you would consider 4-6 competitive, I would too even with the blowout losses. I would consider 3-7 competitive especially without any blowouts.

Go to the gym and pump yourself guy. “Whaaaa. I played college football and lift weights and still no one likes me.” You tool. Sorry I disrespected your football acumen, honey.

Last edited:
Go to the gym and pump yourself guy. “Whaaaa. I played college football and lift weights and still no one likes me.” You tool. Sorry I disrespected your football acumen, honey.
Lol... pretty presumptuous there. Seems to me that the only friends you have may be within the confines of this board. Like I said, don’t throw out insults if you’re too cowardly to face retorts. Apology accepted though.

I grew up in Ohio watching the old Cincy Moeller teams coached by Jerry Faust. HS FB in my home state is a religion. Canton McKinley plays in front of 25,000 every week. Massillon the same. It's on a different level. D1 in Ohio is one of the toughest to win as it is absolutely loaded with not only great talent but fantastic coaching.
They absolutely do not play in front of 25000 people every week.

It might be a bit of hyperbole on my part but they play more games in front of big crowds than they do small ones. Especially at home. Let's say 15,000 instead (Massillon capacity is about 17k and Canton McKinley 23k). Good enough for you?

Hell yes they would....what secondary?? A 315 linemen beat them deep, and Again they have a lazy, slow line that can’t block worth a Damn.
I whole heartedly agree that all of those teams would beat them. I saw the same deficiencies as all of you guys did. I’m merely stating that the 3 teams in 8A would not manhandle Phillips in the fashion that they were manhandled today. I’m not quite sure how my message got misconstrued.

I whole heartedly agree that all of those teams would beat them. I saw the same deficiencies as all of you guys did. I’m merely stating that the 3 teams in 8A would not manhandle Phillips in the fashion that they were manhandled today. I’m not quite sure how my message got misconstrued.
Yes, I think they get manhandled by a decent number of teams. It wasnt that this PC team was making phenomenal plays, it's that Phillips couldn't defend. On the other side of the discussion which no one is really discussing, Phillips offense is bad at best. Even in 5A they weren't scoring points except against CPL schools.

Reactions: Hawks65
Yes, I think they get manhandled by a decent number of teams. It wasnt that this PC team was making phenomenal plays, it's that Phillips couldn't defend. On the other side of the discussion which no one is really discussing, Phillips offense is bad at best. Even in 5A they weren't scoring points except against CPL schools.
Based on what you saw today, do you still think they are the favorite to win 6A?

I would take the field as of now, and I felt that way prior to today's game.
I respect that evaluation. However, I think on the defensive side of the ball, schematically, they match up pretty well against the other top teams in 6A. I think they can get away with jamming the box and playing man on the perimeter more successfully against their respective 6A foes than they did today.

I respect that evaluation. However, I think on the defensive side of the ball, schematically, they match up pretty well against the other top teams in 6A. I think they can get away with jamming the box and playing man on the perimeter more successfully against their respective 6A foes than they did today.

Yes I would agree with that. They might even be the favorite in 6A but I would echo Bones’ bet and I would also take the field (before I watched the game I was thinking they were pretty much a lock for the 6A title so I am really backtracking a lot).

I would be interested to even see an IC team play Phillips. I think IC might give them fits even if IC didn’t come out on top at the end of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT