ADVERTISEMENT

They've conquered Illinois now to go national...

This is just another glaring reminder of where we stand on the national landscape with high school football. Plain and simple, the big 5, Texas, Ohio, California, Pennsylvania, and Florida, are in a different football galaxy.

I agree. This is the bottom line.

Their line is fat and out of shape. Yes they can be stopped. Plus they can’t seem to grasp the illegal player downfield penalty

Another receiver with no DB within 10 yards. Hell that was a DLineman out for a pass I think I could have covered him.

Phillips would not fair well against any of the 7A/8A teams with well developed passing games. Don’t care how much individual talent they have. I am not impressed at all.
I can’t see my CG hanging with these guys. If they get that far...

I grew up in Ohio watching the old Cincy Moeller teams coached by Jerry Faust. HS FB in my home state is a religion. Canton McKinley plays in front of 25,000 every week. Massillon the same. It's on a different level. D1 in Ohio is one of the toughest to win as it is absolutely loaded with not only great talent but fantastic coaching.

Last edited:
Disagree. Naperville Central went toe to toe with St. Eds last year.
And that St. Ed's team was not your typical Ed's. They lost in the second round of the playoffs to Mentor, 21-13. Mentor lost in the D1 state title game to this Pick Central team 56-28.

I think NC would hang half a C note through the air on the Phillips D. They Didn’t cover a WR all night and weren’t even in the TV screen when the WRs caught the ball

Bones,

The teams in Illinois are good but they are not Big5 good. While Pickerington is Div I this season in Ohio they are only a top 10ish Ohio team. I’d put Hoban, Mentor, St Igs, St Ed’s, Colerain, Xavier, and a few others ahead of Pickeringon for sure.
Disagree. This Pick Central team is loaded. Colerain, Ed's, Iggy, and X are all a notch below them this year. Preseason most believe that Akron Hoban and PC are the two best in the state division be damned.

And that St. Ed's team was not your typical Ed's. They lost in the second round of the playoffs to Mentor, 21-13. Mentor lost in the D1 state title game to this Pick Central team 56-28.
How far did NC go? jwar just posted that St. Eds is one of those programs that is on another level. So which is it? They're on another level or NC can compete?

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
How far did NC go? jwar just posted that St. Eds is one of those programs that is on another level. So which is it? They're on another level or NC can compete?

I disagreed with what jwari said that they are a Top 10ish team in Ohio this year. They are one of the two best.

As a program they are indeed on another level. But the last few years they haven't been state title contenders. Central played a good game against them last year. I was there. The talent depth at Ed's won that game.

It I don’t think That’s totally fair - Sometimes it’s about matchups. you guys have a bad matchup with Phillips because you are run heavy correct? You play right into the strength of Phillips which is their run D and their love of stuffing the box and playing no safety over the top (not even a single high - crazy).

Teams that can pass would all be salivating and lining up to play Phillips in a non con game. NC should have begged them for a non con game instead of LWE. I would so so much rather WV play Phillips in week 4 than Edwardsville!

Reactions: Gene K.
I lived in Cleveland for a couple years for work in 2003-2005. Went to some of the area games with neighbors for Saint Ignatius and Saint Edward and think I saw a team or two in from Cincinnati - the level of football was much much higher than what I was used to seeing in the Northwest (State of Washington - Seattle, Spokane, Tricities, Yakima etc). It’s the real deal in Ohio. I don’t think Phillips has the depth to hang with those teams. They may have the talent - but turnoverovers will beat talent any day of the week.
I lived there too in the late 90’s when Bears QB coach Dave Ragone was tearing it up with St Ignatius.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Another receiver with no DB within 10 yards. Hell that was a DLineman out for a pass I think I could have covered him.

Phillips would not fair well against any of the 7A/8A teams with well developed passing games. Don’t care how much individual talent they have. I am not impressed at all.

The DC is awful. His whole scheme is based overwhelming you physically. You get an OL that they can't just push around and a solid passing game and phillips is going to be in trouble. This strategy worked fine in 4A(unless they ran into Rochester), and worked fine in 5A, might run into some more trouble in 6A. Still can and probably should win because they are extremely talented but the defense is poorly schemed. Think they're maxed out in 6A, can't see them winning state in 7A or 8A with this DC. They can win games there but to run the table I can't see.

Also, how does Phillips not have a kicker? They need a QB and they go and take the QB from Hubbard, is there not a good kicker in the CPS that they can steal?

I disagreed with what jwari said that they are a Top 10ish team in Ohio this year. They are one of the two best.

As a program they are indeed on another level. But the last few years they haven't been state title contenders. Central played a good game against them last year. I was there. The talent depth at Ed's won that game.
I was there too. NC looked physically outmatched, but hung in there and St Eds was VERY highly ranked in Ohio at the time (which doesnt necessarily mean anything), but after the Eds barn burner they had a barn burner with NN. I just dont buy the Ohio on a different level talk.

Hell, they said last year was Pick's 1st championship. If anything Pick isnt on the other schools levels.

I grew up in Ohio watching the old Cincy Moeller teams coached by Jerry Faust. HS FB in my home state is a religion. Canton McKinley plays in front of 25,000 every week. Massillon the same. It's on a different level. D1 in Ohio is one of the toughest to win as it is absolutely loaded with not only great talent but fantastic coaching.

ESL will play Massillon Oct 5.

It I don’t think That’s totally fair - Sometimes it’s about matchups. you guys have a bad matchup with Phillips because you are run heavy correct? You play right into the strength of Phillips which is their run D and their love of stuffing the box and playing no safety over the top (not even a single high - crazy).

Teams that can pass would all be salivating and lining up to play Phillips in a non con game. NC should have begged them for a non con game instead of LWE. I would so so much rather WV play Phillips in week 4 than Edwardsville!
CG lives and dies by the run. That’s why I say no chance.

I was there too. NC looked physically outmatched, but hung in there and St Eds was VERY highly ranked in Ohio at the time (which doesnt necessarily mean anything), but after the Eds barn burner they had a barn burner with NN. I just dont buy the Ohio on a different level talk.

Hell, they said last year was Pick's 1st championship. If anything Pick isnt on the other schools levels.
Central played one hell of a game last year. They just got worn down in the 4th. As for Ed's....they are always highly ranked every year.

The depth of talent in coaching and on the field is what makes Ohio on a different level than IL. Look at the numbers of D1 recruits from each state every year and it's not even close OH v IL. OH has slipped a bit in recent years but it's still a talent rich state.

As for Pick....they are a relative newcomer to D1 powerhouse status in the state. They aren't near Iggy, Ed's, Moeller, St. X, Trotwood-Madison, Elder,, etc in history but right now they are better than all of those teams.

ESL will play Massillon Oct 5.
Washington or Jackson? I would assume Washington. At Eastside? If in Massillon you need to go just to see the way they support that team. Incredible. I guess when you play in Paul Brown Stadium it gives you a little something extra.
432b595a32bba31866a4ab6a68fef1bf.jpg

The DC is awful. His whole scheme is based overwhelming you physically. You get an OL that they can't just push around and a solid passing game and phillips is going to be in trouble. This strategy worked fine in 4A(unless they ran into Rochester), and worked fine in 5A, might run into some more trouble in 6A. Still can and probably should win because they are extremely talented but the defense is poorly schemed. Think they're maxed out in 6A, can't see them winning state in 7A or 8A with this DC. They can win games there but to run the table I can't see.

Also, how does Phillips not have a kicker? They need a QB and they go and take the QB from Hubbard, is there not a good kicker in the CPS that they can steal?

Great post. That’s what I don’t understand. The talent is there. They should be able to develop various coverage schemes instead of just going man coverage and putting 9 in the box. If they don’t implement at least a rudimentary multiple coverage scheme - they will never be able to compete for titles in 7A/8A let alone win any games on the national stage.

Last edited:
Central played one hell of a game last year. They just got worn down in the 4th. As for Ed's....they are always highly ranked every year.

The depth of talent in coaching and on the field is what makes Ohio on a different level than IL. Look at the numbers of D1 recruits from each state every year and it's not even close OH v IL. OH has slipped a bit in recent years but it's still a talent rich state.

As for Pick....they are a relative newcomer to D1 powerhouse status in the state. They aren't near Iggy, Ed's, Moeller, St. X, Trotwood-Madison, Elder,, etc in history but right now they are better than all of those teams.
The previous year NC played Eds and still performed better than Phillips today despite NC being 4-5. Glenbard N (4-5) played an undefeated Centerville a few years back and lost by 5. I'm just not seeing this other level except when they play Phillips.

I applaud you banging your chest in defense of our states football talent, however I think you’re delusional. Makes for a fun debate though
I'm not beating my chest, I'm looking at the scores to actual games. Of the ones Ive seen this Phillips is the only one that got out of hand.

But to say that IL = OH based on GBN or NC playing an Ohio team even (yet losing) is a bit myopic. The top IL can play with the top OH schools. It's just that there are far more very good teams in OH than there are in IL.

Phillips isn’t even in the top 10 ten in IL. There are 10 teams in IL with a passing game developed enough that would carve up their “coverage” (and I use coverage in the loosest sense of the word).
Weird thing is that I’ve seen them in multiple coverages since that Rochester game a few years ago when they only played man and brought 8. As soon as I saw their man coverage today I knew they were done. Any oc were his salt can beat that if you can handle the speed up front.

That
I respectfully, and vehemently disagree
That’s because you don’t know anything about IL HS football
Noted... but do we really think any team in Illinois could compete with this team? I could be wrong, but I don’t think there is a defense anywhere in Illinois that could hold this team down.
LWE, LA and MS. Whether you like it or not.

But to say that IL = OH based on GBN or NC playing an Ohio team even (yet losing) is a bit myopic. The top IL can play with the top OH schools. It's just that there are far more very good teams in OH than there are in IL.
I'm not saying IL = OH. But to me when you say on a different level I think of what happened to Phillips. I pointed out instances where teams with poor records in IL went and played top Ohio teams and competed. So I am trying to understand this other level talk. How are we coming to this conclusion?

As of now I'd take Rochester over Phillips.

Whoops! Don’t know why that posted so many times. Must be the shakes from the weekend’s festivities. God damn you palatine street fest!

Reactions: crusader_of_90
That

That’s because you don’t know anything about IL HS football

LWE, LA and MS. Whether you like it or not.

For sure Add HC, NC and Eds to that lis
Lol.... ok. Meatballs anyone?

I would put 1000 bucks on NC beating Phillips in a high scoring game with both teams at full strength (no injured players out). Think NC would throw for 450 yards plus and 6 TDs on Phillips unless they figure out how to get a DB in the same TV frame as the WRs

For sure Add HC, NC and Eds to that lis

I would put 1000 bucks on NC beating Phillips in a high scoring game with both teams at full strength (no injured players out). Think NC would throw for 450 yards plus and 6 TDs on Phillips unless they figure out how to get a DB in the same TV frame as the WRs
The offense wasn't impressive after the 1st 3 possessions. PC couldnt stop the dive so it wasnt like they were doing anything new. I think there are plenty schools who could stop Phillips from scoring, and a good amount who could pass their way to a W over them.

The offense wasn't impressive after the 1st 3 possessions. PC couldnt stop the dive so it wasnt like they were doing anything new. I think there are plenty schools who could stop Phillips from scoring, and a good amount who could pass their way to a W over them.

Yes agreed. It looked like the Phillips Oline really struggled after about half way through the second quarter. It is very hot and humid in Ohio this time of year. Way more so than in Chicagoland. Think St Louis but more so!!

Reactions: Odirty
Do you honestly think LWE, MS, or Loyola would run Phillips over like they just got run over. Once again, if you say yes, I would RESPECTFULLy, disagree
No one ever stated or implied that the forgoing teams would “run Phillips over.” Your words. You also stated that phillip’s was “arguably the best team in Illinois.” Seems as though most folks participating in this thread disagree with you. You are all over the road, my man,

Reactions: Hawks65
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT