ADVERTISEMENT

The Autumn 2021 CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week VIII

There's a difference between paying full price and paying full cost.

All private schools have a gap between their actual per student cost (achieved by dividing the school's total operating budget expense by the school's total enrollment) and what they charge in tuition and fees per student. That gap is made up (or, in some cases, not made up) primarily through charitable fundraising. The argument can be made that EVERY STUDENT in a private school receives financial aid because of that gap.

Some kids come from families that can't pay the full tuition charge. In that case, they apply for financial aid. Rare, and I mean VERY RARE, do you find families that pay nothing or even next to nothing due to financial need. I don't know what Loyola does now, but I know that, at one point not too long ago, they never gave any student more than 50% of total tuition in the form of financial aid. Private schools want families to have some skin in the game. They want them to sacrifice. They want them to VALUE the education and the overall experience. Also, private schools can't survive financially if they give away the store to everyone or to most kids who walk inside the doors. Tuition revenue is by far the largest slice of the overall revenue pie for private schools. Reducing that tuition revenue stream with enrollment and expenses staying the same increases the size of the gap explained in the paragraph above. That, in turn, puts extra pressure on fundraising to make up the difference. If the fundraising doesn't bridge that gap, then the school incurs a deficit.

Last edited:
There are also plenty of outside scholarships available to students who are looking to attend Catholic Schools. I know the Archdiocese of Chicago has a scholarship fund for students in need. A big one that is a non profit run scholarship foundation is the Daniel Murphy Scholarship. It’s a long selection process and consists of a couple interviews and essays but they award scholarships every year to kids who are looking to attend Catholic and private schools throughout Chicagoland. I would highly recommend anyone with a child in 7th or 8th grade who may be interested in Catholic/private school look it up and apply.

It wasn''t a bad beat on the spread. It was early in 4th. It was a sloppy game all around.

Leo is an interesting study looking in from the outside. With their enrollment, it looks like they are on the border of 1A/2A. I think they could play with most of those teams but given their schedule, which, on average, is essentially a 5A level schedule, they won't make the playoffs in a given year. I imagine if they played a 1A or 2A schedule, they would be travelling for hours on game night/day. Tough spot to be in.
The QB from the first half of the year is/was hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT