ADVERTISEMENT

So what will happen? Expansion? Districts?

So what will happen?

• Playoff Expansion?

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • District/Regional scheduling?

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • Nothing?

Votes: 68 66.7%

• Total voters

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
So what will happen?

Will the IHSA pass either district/regional scheduling thus eliminating conferences?

Will the IHSA pass expanding the current IHSA state playoff field hopefully improving scheduling?

Nothing?

No way they vote in districts without being able to see what each proposed district will look like.

I’m thinking playoff expansion will probably happen.

I thought districts were a foregone conclusion two years ago but with all the recent conference shuffling I think a lot of schools are happy enough for the time being that it won’t come back up for a few years.

I don’t see the playoffs expanding since even though teams want to get in everyone knows the teams that missed out are just are just going to get smoked for the most part.

I voted nothing happens.

Why would the IHSA vote to expand playoffs and take away competitive first round games for a series of blowout games?

Will the districts include public and private schools?

Districts is a lock.

Really? Or are you being facetious that districts would get imposed because the new private superconference has just been born?

I don’t think districts have a chance of winning a vote - Not with all the shiny new conferences there were just launched.

Reactions: Gene K.
Really? Or are you being facetious that districts would get imposed because the new private superconference has just been born?

I don’t think districts have a chance of winning a vote - Not with all the shiny new conferences there were just launched.
IHSA ploy to only let in 6 win teams or conference champs again now that the new conference formed. They were just playing the long con.

I would hope that there are enough people with common sense to realize that not all sports are the same and that football does not need expansion for the playoff series.

Then again, this is the IHSA we are talking about.

I cant see any chance of districts passing if school have to vote on them blind. Potentially if they are disclosed since I imagine it would have major downstate support.

All remember that the public league and catholic league will likely vote as a block.That's nearly 100 votes against before the voting starts. Will be hard to overcome especially is most suburban schools vote again.

All remember that the public league and catholic league will likely vote as a block.That's nearly 100 votes against before the voting starts. Will be hard to overcome especially is most suburban schools vote again.
Why would the public league block. They will likely
I agree, they have already put out what the districts would look like. and for the most part everyone had very competitive groups.
Where have they put it out. All I've seen was Souc predictions.

I think the vote will be close. There are a lot of ADs who spend a large amount of time just trying to get scheduling done for this one sport. Too much conference shuffling, issues with non-conference scheduling, and inequality in sizes of schools in conferences will lead to an easy decision for some in this vote. This will also give the IHSA more control over this sport which will make them feel more important.
As far as a success factor, it should still be implemented. Since they are talking about revising/revisiting the layout of districts every two years, and success factors are for two years, it works out.
IMO, I think this can be a good idea. It may take a few years for everyone to get comfortable with it and for all the kinks to get worked out, but in the end, it will lead to a good system. Not too many people like change, but some do embrace it and understand that we probably need it.

I think the vote will be close. There are a lot of ADs who spend a large amount of time just trying to get scheduling done for this one sport. Too much conference shuffling, issues with non-conference scheduling, and inequality in sizes of schools in conferences will lead to an easy decision for some in this vote. This will also give the IHSA more control over this sport which will make them feel more important.
As far as a success factor, it should still be implemented. Since they are talking about revising/revisiting the layout of districts every two years, and success factors are for two years, it works out.
IMO, I think this can be a good idea. It may take a few years for everyone to get comfortable with it and for all the kinks to get worked out, but in the end, it will lead to a good system. Not too many people like change, but some do embrace it and understand that we probably need it.
This still won't help ADs trying to fill weeks 1 and 2

True, but everyone will be looking for weeks 1 and 2 and they won't be as big a factor in getting into the playoffs. So, there won't be as much strategizing/negotiation/wheelin' n dealin' that needs to happen to schedule someone.

I don't understand how Districts work, but...

Could Districts make a JCA district that looked something like this:
LWE
LWC
PC
JCA
Bolingbrook
Minooka
Plainfield N/S/E/Cent

Actually, if the results of the games week 1 and 2 don’t count towards playoffs it will stop the concern for needing those non cons to get to 5/6 wins. This should ease the reluctance to schedule tough non cons making scheduling easier. Plus traditional rivalries will fill some of those games. I hope it doesn’t go this route.

All remember that the public league and catholic league will likely vote as a block.That's nearly 100 votes against before the voting starts. Will be hard to overcome especially is most suburban schools vote again.[/

CPS will not vote as a block.
Every year only roughly 60% of IHSA schools even vote. Many CPS dont even turn their votes in.

I thought a couple of years ago when a proposal was made, the designers did break it down into specific districts. I remember seeing Cascia with MC, Chicago Simeon and Oak Lawn in one potential division.

I thought a couple of years ago when a proposal was made, the designers did break it down into specific districts. I remember seeing Cascia with MC, Chicago Simeon and Oak Lawn in one potential division.

My guess SR,MC, ND, finish playoff bound every year. District Football could kill football in the CPS for good.

Per STEVE SOUCIE :

District 6 (8): Chicago (Hubbard), Chicago (Kelly), Chicago (Lincoln Park), Chicago (Mount Carmel), Chicago (Schurz), Chicago (St. Patrick), Chicago (St. Rita), Chicago (Von Steuben)

https://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/05/12/9e0874be59e44967ac00dd64d5428b04/index.xml?page=1

My guess SR,MC, ND, finish playoff bound every year. District Football could kill football in the CPS for good.

Per STEVE SOUCIE :

District 6 (8): Chicago (Hubbard), Chicago (Kelly), Chicago (Lincoln Park), Chicago (Mount Carmel), Chicago (Schurz), Chicago (St. Patrick), Chicago (St. Rita), Chicago (Von Steuben)

https://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/05/12/9e0874be59e44967ac00dd64d5428b04/index.xml?page=1

District 5 (8): Addison (Trail), Burbank (Reavis), LaGrange Park (Nazareth), Maywood (Proviso East), Oak Park (Fenwick), Summit (Argo), Villa Park (Willowbrook), Wheaton (North), Wheaton (Warrenville South)

This group sucks I have no real interest in seeing WWS play most of these teams

Last edited:
I like this district:

District 8 (8): Belleville (East), Belleville (West), Edwardsville, Minooka, O’Fallon, Plainfield (East), Plainfield (North), Plainfield (South)

My guess these schools will vote no.

Here is my best guess

- All CCL schools vote no
- All CPS schools vote no
- 80% of all 5a-8a suburban schools vote no
- All downstate 1a-4a public schools except for those in the NUIC vote yes
- Downstate 5a-8a will be a wildcard
- Southwest football conference schools vote no
- private 1a-4a schools and will be a wildcard

Why not just put all sports in districts like a lot of states do? Reorganize them every 4 years based on enrollment first and then geography. All schools that can draw kids from anywhere (privates, selective enrollment in CPS, magnets.) automatically get bumped two classes. Eliminate success factor all together. Make it simple. You maintain regional rivalries. You can still schedule other rivalries.

Here is my best guess

In the town halls the proposal received a positive vote by a majority.

Here is my best guess

I see a number of small conferences who will not want districts...I will use the conference just south of Kankakee, the Sangamon Valley, as an example. There are four core schools to this conference: Iroquois West, 2AClifton Central, 2A Momence, and 2A Watseka. Paxton has traditionally been with them in and out of conferences for many years...I West sits right near the 1A/2A border, and would likely prefer its traditional neighboring rivals to regular non-conference foes from the Heartland conference to the west or VVC to the south...Paxton had the opportunity to leave with the 3A powers to the south - St. Joe Ogden, Monticello, Tolono Unity - when they left less than a decade ago...Most of the proposed districts attempts, like Soucie's, show it is very possible that Central & Momence get a district with all CPS schools...icky...The other two schools are Dwight coop & Seneca, both small 3A schools who abandoned the I-8 for competitive reasons...

A vote for districts throws the 3 3A SVC members into situations in 3A districts they probably will not be competitive in - Dwight & Seneca back to their former I-8 foes (and 5 of the 8 schools in the "new" conference arising from the I-8 are 3A schools), while Paxton might go with them or to St. Joes, Monticello & Tolono...There's three no votes.

The other four don't like the likely results of their being torn apart...Iroquois County used to have like 15 little school districts, consolidated down to 6 schools primarily in Iroquois county: Central, IW, Watseka, Donovan, Milford, Cissna Park (Paxton, St. Anne, Hoopeston Area being the primary out of county districts)...

Watseka, Central & Momence likely want to stay together, with Iroquois West, as they are only about 40 students enrollment apart...A change to districts likely causes a significant increase in travel costs for these four schools...

So that's a likely 7-0 vote against districts in the SVC...The Kankakee area I-8 schools are likely a 7-0 no vote, as Streator probably doesn't want to return to its former conference rivals, and the other 6 are likely anti-McNamara...I don't picture the Vermillion Valley conference schools, who for the most part have been crushed enrollment wise by Danville's collapse, thinking that consolidation or co-ops are likely, wanting to be fed to St. Joes & friends in a couple of years - and Hoopeston is staring at a district with St. Joes & friends right away...

As a result, I don't see anyone in favor of districts along the east side of the state between Chicago & Danville...

District 5 (8): Addison (Trail), Burbank (Reavis), LaGrange Park (Nazareth), Maywood (Proviso East), Oak Park (Fenwick), Summit (Argo), Villa Park (Willowbrook), Wheaton (North), Wheaton (Warrenville South)

This group sucks I have no real interest in seeing WWS play most of these teams

Really? I know its not the old DVC, but Naz, WN and Willowbrook are all pretty good match ups for WWS. And Fenwick puts together a pretty good team every few years.

Really? I know its not the old DVC, but Naz, WN and Willowbrook are all pretty good match ups for WWS. And Fenwick puts together a pretty good team every few years.

Yeah those three are fine but the others stink. I prefer when they play against teams that are local and they have some history with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT