ADVERTISEMENT

Small school wins over BIG schools

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
Leo beating an 8a school this week, albeit not a very good one, got me thinking of what are some small school wins over much larger schools.

I can’t think of much.

3a IC over 5A JCA 42-0 in 2018. JCA went on to win the 5A title. Certainly an impressive win for IC. JCA had double the enrollment but not a crazy discrepancy.

Anyone got anything?

Reactions: corey90
3A Chicago Christian beat 6A Bremen in 2006. At the time CCHS enrollment was around 350 while Bremen was about 1400. Bremen was also ranked in the top 10 in 6A then

4a Mt. Zion beat 7a Collinsville this year. Collinsville is also not a very good team

There has been many of them. Montini had wins over Maine South, Palatine, BR, Loyola, Mt Carmel and East St Louis.

Naz has beaten many much larger enrollment schools in the playoffs.

Reactions: colin2229
Inkne
There has been many of them. Montini had wins over Maine South, Palatine, BR, Loyola, Mt Carmel and East St Louis.

Naz has beaten many much larger enrollment schools in the playoffs.
I knew Montini had a few of them and couldn’t think of them off the top of my head.

Loved when Montini started to schedule these non-conference games and won them.

Inkne

I knew Montini had a few of them and couldn’t think of them off the top of my head.

Loved when Montini started to schedule these non-conference games and won them.

I think Bishop Mac had some big wins back in the day when they were winning state titles.

Reactions: ignazio
I think Bishop Mac had some big wins back in the day when they were winning state titles.
In Round 1 of the 2000 4A playoffs, BM came in at 6-3 to take down 9-0 Tinley Park. Mac lost in the semis to Metamora later.

Smaller schools can beat a larger school for one game but it's very rare they can move up a playoff bracket or two and win 5 games in a row.

That's completely different.
I just mean all these examples are unboundaried schools and most are comparing to boundaried schools.
The IMG example is the funny example. They pull from a pool of millions of athletes nationwide. The actual enrollment becomes irrelevant and the examples above sort of prove the point.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I just mean all these examples are unboundaried schools and most are comparing to boundaried schools.
The IMG example is the funny example. They pull from a pool of millions of athletes nationwide. The actual enrollment becomes irrelevant and the examples above sort of prove the point.
Please don’t hijack this tread w this debate.

Reactions: Wassup13
Yes, that was the Alex Haan years

Edit: my bad they did beat Bremen in regular season in 06, looks like week 2, you are correct. They were 4A that season though not 3A, but very impressive win over larger school nonetheless!

Haan i didn’t follow closely but from what I remember was a pretty good qb.. got hurt in playoff game that 06 season i remember though.

Last edited:
Edit: my bad they did beat Bremen in regular season in 06, looks like week 2, you are correct. They were 4A that season though not 3A, but very impressive win over larger school nonetheless!

Haan i didn’t follow closely but from what I remember was a pretty good qb.. got hurt in playoff game that 06 season i remember though.
Went on to play TE at North Central.

When a 1a or 2a public school beats either a top CCL school or a solid 7a/8a public school that will be a major story. Though those games will never happen.

Fox Valley, the whole D155 (Cary, CLS, CLC, PR) all 6A schools all pasted Huntley 8a.
Cary and PR together is smaller than Huntley. Hampshire, also 6A beat Huntley as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT