ADVERTISEMENT

618(Southern Illinois) Talk: Playoff Previews

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
Playoff season has finally arrived and Southern Illinois has plenty of submissions. Today’s post is just 8A-5A and I’ll make a post with the rest tomorrow.
For any northerners, feel free to chime in with any questions you may have on the 618’s qualifiers and feel free to correct on teams from your neck of the woods.

8A
#4 Edwardsville (8-1) vs #29 Aurora West (5-4) Saturday 2:00 pm
The Tigers pulled off a 29-12 upset over De Smet Jesuit last week to earn a top seed that will pay immediately dividends. Aurora West has lost four consecutive, including two to non-playoff teams, so the Tigers should roll big here. Looking ahead, I see a realistic path to the semis where they would likely be against Loyola. That path is far from a cakewalk, however, with likely meetings with Glenbard West and York along the way.
#11 Belleville East (7-2) vs #22 Aurora East (6-3) Friday 6:00 pm
The Lancers are certainly not the eleventh best team in this bracket but here they are. Belleville East finished the year 2-2 against playoff teams and lost the last two of those four games. One of those, a 48-0 blowout loss to East St. Louis hurts, but a 49-45 loss to Edwardsville in week 7 gives some credence to this squad. Looking at Aurora East, there really isn’t a great source of optimism. Their lone win against a playoff team was a 32-21 victory over 5-4 West Chicago. Take Belleville East to win here before facing grim odds at Maine South in round two.
7A
#28 Collinsville (5-4) at #5 Maine West (9-0) Saturday 3:00 pm
As is often brought up, Collinsville plays a schedule largely consisting of smaller schools. In fact, they have only faced school with a larger enrollment: Belleville East, who they lost to 24-21 in week one. The Kahoks’ loss last week to 5A Troy Triad (6-3) is not all that encouraging either. Maine West seems to have an inflated record as well, playing just two playoff teams. The home team should still be a slight favorite here because the long travel factor on a Saturday morning cannot be overlooked.
6A
#4 East St. Louis (7-2) vs #13 Lemont (5-4)
The Flyers will look to repeat a dominant path to a 6A state championship that saw them running clock all but one opponent. That lone exception? Lemont, who pushed them down the wire in a 32-29 final. The odds of a close fight are far lower this time. First, East St. Louis gets to host this time. East Side has only lost one home game in the last six years. Lemont also looked sharper headed into last year’s meeting at 12-0. I, like many others, am looking forward to a likely quarterfinal between East St. Louis and Kankakee.
5A
#3 Highland (8-1) vs #14 Mt. Vernon (6-3)
The lone common opponent on the schedules here is Waterloo. Mt. Vernon defeated them 55-41 and Highland blasted them 38-6. Realistically, the gap between these teams is likely larger than 18 points when you look at their resumes as a whole. Highland should be a strong favorite here as long as they can avoid some sort of a shootout where they can’t stop Mt. Vernon’s run game. Round two should be intriguing if we get to see the likely Highland at MacArthur matchup.
#14 Triad (6-3) at Mahomet Seymour(7-2)
Not really sure why Mahomet is not being talked about more in this 5A South bracket. The Bulldogs two losses came against 7A Quincy (9-0) and 5A #2 Morton (8-1). If Triad wants to knock them off, they’ll need a repeat of their week 9 victory over Collinsville with four interceptions on the night. They will also need their offense to be at their sharpest against a Mahomet offense that kept five of their opponents to 7 points or less. Whoever advances here gets the winner of high-powered Peoria vs Joliet Catholic and will certainly be an underdog.

I'm a big Highland fan but that game scares me. Mt Vernon has a tricky offense that causes teams fits. I remember what happened to Highland last year when they were supposed to win big. Hopefully they come out ready to play. As always, thanks for your previews. Looking forward to the lower classes.

Reactions: DazeWork
Here's previews for 1A-4A. Admittedly, some of these schools are a little out of my depth so I only wrote winners.

4A
#4 Breese Central (7-2) vs #13 Cahokia (5-4) Saturday 1:00
Bad news for all of the 4A bracket came down last week when Cahokia knocked off O’Fallon to break into the field. The Comanches are in reality 6-2 on the field this season but forfeits have really hurt their seeding. Hosting them this week is another local flavor Breese. The two losses on the Cougars’ schedule were unbeaten Roxana and one-loss Highland. Breese has also only played one game within 20 points this season with their week two 17-14 win over rival Mater Dei. Cahokia should get the edge here on account of playing a tougher schedule and being more battle tested. Also, the cold and rainy forecast for gameday favors a Cahokia squad anchored by their defense.
#2 Murphysboro (8-1) vs #15 Taylorville (5-4) Saturday 3:00
The Taylorville Tornadoes are about as straightforward as a 15 seed gets. All of their wins come against teams with 3 or less wins and they have yet to fare well against a team with a winning record. Murphysboro should feel rather comfortable about taking care of business here, even after dropping their first game 39-7 last week. Reminder that the Red Devils finished second in state just four years ago, so they do know what it takes to make a run. Their #2 seed means they do not need to worry about meeting Rochester until a potential semifinal.
#10 Freeburg (6-3) at #7 Charleston (7-2) Saturday 2:00
The winner here will likely meet with Murphysboro in round two. Coming off an impressive 33-0 smackdown of what was then a 4-4 Waterloo team, it could be argued Freeburg is coming off their best came of the year. But I would rather talk about Charleston’s week nine opponent: Salem. The Trojan won that contest 29-13. Just one week prior, Freeburg defeated Salem 28-0. Another reason to like Freeburg is their four playoff appearances since Charleston last qualified in 2012. Take the Midgets here but don’t be shocked by a Trojan win.
#6 Carterville (7-2) vs #11 Harrisburg (6-3) Saturday 1:00
The Carterville Lions stormed off to an 11-0 start last season before succumbing 41-28 to Rochester. This year’s team has been a little less mighty with two losses already, including a 29-28 loss to Harrisburg. These Southern Illinois River-to-River foes have a few more common opponents, but those results are a pretty mixed bag. This has “coin flip” written all over it, so take Carterville based on homefield?
3A
#1 DuQuoin (9-0) vs #16 Monticello (5-4) Saturday 2:00
Monticello tends to be a pretty good team, yet finds themselves at 5-4. Duquoin has looked far more dominant, including a 39-7 smacking of previously unbeaten Murphysboro last week, so they should take this one.
#4 Mt. Carmel (8-1) vs #13 Benton (5-4) Saturday 2:00
Mt. Carmel (not the Chicago one) has cranked off 8 straight wins and maintains an 8-0 record in-state. The Golden Aces should win but Benton has played a couple top teams tight this year. Bet on Mt. Carmel in a closeish contest.
#2 Greenville (9-0) vs #15 Fairfield (5-4) Saturday 2:00
In terms of mascots, this matchup of Comets vs Mules should rank pretty high. For quality of game? Not so much. Greenville has kept 6 of their foes to 7 or less points this season and they’ve put up 33+ in 7 of their 9 wins. Fairfield has yet to defeat a playoff team and they should not start on Saturday.
#3 Roxana (9-0) vs #14 Paris (5-4) Saturday 3:00
The Shells undefeated season has been one of the best stories in Southern Illinois this season. Their dominance has not been limited to either side of the ball but it’s worth pointing out their worst offensive game in the last 5 weeks was a 45-0 win. Roxana should add another big victory here and they feel like the favorite out of the south bracket.
2A
#8 Nashville (6-3) vs #9 Pana (6-3)
The Hornets have more impressive wins on their schedule and a lot of momentum. The same cannot be said for Pana, so Nashville ought to be comfortable for an eight seed.
#4 Athens (7-2) over #13 Piasa (5-4)
#5 Red Bud (7-2) vs #12 Chester (5-4)

Red Bud won 14-7 in this matchup week 8. Should be another close one and the Musketeers will likely win again.
#2 Shelbyville (8-1) over #15 Wesclin (5-4)
#10 Vandalia (6-3) over #7 Lawrenceville (7-2)
#3 Johnston City (8-1) over #14 Auburn (5-4)
#11 Breese Mater Dei (6-3) over #6 White County (7-2)

1A
#1 Camp Point Central (9-0) over #16 Red Hill (5-4)
#4 Althoff (8-1) vs #13 Tuscola (5-4)

Obviously Althoff was going to be fine no matter where they ended up in 1A but I think Tuscola is sharper than expected from a thirteen seed. The Warriors have a long history of winning football games and are averaging 47.8 points over their past 5 games. Still, Althoff should be confidently picked here to remain unbeaten against Illinois schools. I can’t remember who I saw point this out this but this is actually the Crusaders first game against a 1A school. Looks like Althoff vs Camp Point Central are on a collision course in the quarterfinals to be the favorite from the south.
#2 Sesser Valier (9-0) over #15 Carrollton (5-4)

I'm a big Highland fan but that game scares me. Mt Vernon has a tricky offense that causes teams fits. I remember what happened to Highland last year when they were supposed to win big. Hopefully they come out ready to play. As always, thanks for your previews. Looking forward to the lower classes.
Mt. Vernon's offense certainly is a threat. Highland may not be a prime target for it though because we've already seen them fare well against run-heavy teams this year and they also seem to be well coached. If the Saturday forecast of cold and rainy comes to fruition, that would boost the Ram hopes of an upset, however.

Reactions: dcaudle68
Mt. V is tough & better than their record imo. Last year their round 1 game was at Kankakee & only lost 14-16, a game most didn’t expect to be close at all.

I did not realize that Charleston had not been in playoffs since 2012. They made semi finals in 2011 and second round in 2012. 2 year record of 20-4.

I traveled thru Charleston yesterday and saw alot of businesses with support for Trojans on marquees. That excitement seems to wane as schools have multiple years of success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT