ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

fuballcrzy

Mar 5, 2020
I am a total newby when it comes to football recruiting. My son is a current soph and would love to play football in college at any level. It's hard to decipher what is real and what is just a money grab. Son does not have physical measurables that jump off paper like most sophs who are getting recruited already and getting early offers. As this is my first time through this with a child, I was looking for some feedback from others who have been through it.
- Camps - he gets a lot of emails from div 3 coaches to attend a certain camp. The email is the same content regardless of the coach who sends it. Seems like a money grab.
- Are there legit camps he should go to in summer?
- Showcases - invite to Indy to go through a combine type atmosphere and get measured, timed, etc. Is this type of stuff legit? When should he do it?
- Services/Recruiting sits - Coach Pete/Deep Dish, Lemming, Rivals, etc. What to make of all this?

Just looking for sound advice and maybe a timeline of what to be doing rising junior summer, etc.

Reactions: missingwalter
I'd start the conversation with the high school coach. In fact, its a shame if this hasn't happened yet. That should help him target a list of schools which are "realistic".

The nice thing about football compared to other sports (especially non-rev) is that the recruiting process is more delayed. This gives more chance to see whats around and develop.

Understand that camps are really just recruiting events with (usually) minimal technique taught. Your schools summer program should probably help more in development.

One key thing to point out. Don't let him get timed in an official event for a 40 if he isn't confident he can put out a good time. Bad times follow you.

Reactions: McCaravan
To start: Questions that your son should begin thinking about.
What are his interests?
Does he know what he wants to study in college?
Keep on those grades! Academic money is HUGE! Many of the D-3 schools are private and very expensive. Scholarship money can make them very comparable to the state schools thus, much more affordable.
Take the football piece out of it and start looking at schools that he has an interest in attending as a student. As I told my son, "You are one play away from being a student not a student athlete".

I hope this helps you as you begin this journey.

Starting out, things have changed in the last 20 years. I started out getting mail my sophmore year. That's exciting and don't throw those letters away, nice to be recruited by these coaches and see where they end up in 20 years-you'd be surprised. All different schools sent me mail, D1, D2, D3, DI-AA-now FCS, NAIA schools. If your son wants to play, as others have said, there's a place for him. I visited Illinois as a junior, I attended a Summer camp at EIU and a smaller camp at Wheaton College. I believe that talent will be discovered, no matter where and what level the player plays in the IHSA classification system. I would approach camps and showcases as experiences-not interviews or tryouts. Don't get me wrong, compete your butt off, but don't get caught up in rankings. If you have the desire to play there's a place for you. If your son can target a few camps, learn something about football and himself along the way it's a win/win. I never attended a D3 camp, but that's where I landed. If you want to throw some investment now at something, I'd focus on training-strength and speed and agility. There are lots of good places locally in the NW burbs. I believe that, more than most other things, can make a difference or at least keep pace with others. As Redmen said, maybe target where he wants to go and consider his major preference and walk on. Then you have a solid backup plan if he doesn't like football as a fulltime responsibility. For me, my priority was football then academics, no matter where I ended up. I was fortunate to get a great education and a good athletic experience. I paid off student loans eventually and don't regret for a minute playing at the D3 level.

I do think most camps, showcases and recruiting services are money grabs. There benefits to each and they serve a purpose. I just wouldn't overvalue their importance.

Lastly, enjoy the process-at the end of the day it's a privilege to be a student athlete and not a right. It takes a special person to commit to that, because it requires a lot from a person.

Starting out, things have changed in the last 20 years. I started out getting mail my sophmore year. That's exciting and don't throw those letters away, nice to be recruited by these coaches and see where they end up in 20 years-you'd be surprised. All different schools sent me mail, D1, D2, D3, DI-AA-now FCS, NAIA schools. If your son wants to play, as others have said, there's a place for him. I visited Illinois as a junior, I attended a Summer camp at EIU and a smaller camp at Wheaton College. I believe that talent will be discovered, no matter where and what level the player plays in the IHSA classification system. I would approach camps and showcases as experiences-not interviews or tryouts. Don't get me wrong, compete your butt off, but don't get caught up in rankings. If you have the desire to play there's a place for you. If your son can target a few camps, learn something about football and himself along the way it's a win/win. I never attended a D3 camp, but that's where I landed. If you want to throw some investment now at something, I'd focus on training-strength and speed and agility. There are lots of good places locally in the NW burbs. I believe that, more than most other things, can make a difference or at least keep pace with others. As Redmen said, maybe target where he wants to go and consider his major preference and walk on. Then you have a solid backup plan if he doesn't like football as a fulltime responsibility. For me, my priority was football then academics, no matter where I ended up. I was fortunate to get a great education and a good athletic experience. I paid off student loans eventually and don't regret for a minute playing at the D3 level.

I do think most camps, showcases and recruiting services are money grabs. There benefits to each and they serve a purpose. I just wouldn't overvalue their importance.

Lastly, enjoy the process-at the end of the day it's a privilege to be a student athlete and not a right. It takes a special person to commit to that, because it requires a lot from a person.
100% agree-I too don't regret my years of playing D-3 football....except for those mornings when it's a little more difficult to get out of bed! Haha.

To start: Questions that your son should begin thinking about.
What are his interests?
Does he know what he wants to study in college?
Keep on those grades! Academic money is HUGE! Many of the D-3 schools are private and very expensive. Scholarship money can make them very comparable to the state schools thus, much more affordable.
Take the football piece out of it and start looking at schools that he has an interest in attending as a student. As I told my son, "You are one play away from being a student not a student athlete".

I hope this helps you as you begin this journey.

One thing I started early with my step-son and his buddies was just to teach them the difference between schools...His birthday & Christmas presents all included a trip to a different school to watch a game. There is no better way to understand the difference between levels of schools than to visit them, and not just because Illinois has a bigger stadium & arena. He watched several D1 hoops games (SIU @ NIU, WIU at Chicago St.) where the crowds were dwarfed by the crowd at an NAIA Olivet Nazarene game. I tried to get him a campus tour when we went to a game so he could learn about the campus and school. Christmas break is always a good time for trips since with students away the universities are usually slashing ticket prices (SIU @ NIU was $2 walk up tickets...)

Here’s my 2 cents and happy to talk off-line if you like:
Marketing- your son needs to be marketed, whether that’s attending camps, filling out school questionnaires, making all-conference/all-state, emailing/DM’ing Coaches, having your HS coach make introductions, etc. ( I know it was said earlier of he’s talented they will find him, but If he doesn’t have the measurables, don’t wait to be found

Goals- Does he want to play D1-2-3? Scholarship or walk-on? What is the reality, based on skill, size, speed, past success, etc. How hard is he currently working on getting better/stronger/ faster? And what more can he and is he willing to do?

Once you have a better a good sense of these then you can adjust/target to meet those goals.

Camps/Showcases- The big showcases are usually a money grab, unless he has coaches who are asking if he will be attending, it’s a shot in the dark. Camps at the schools of his choosing is a suggested way to go, as it can do a few things: 1- Allows you to visit/ see the school, talk/meet the coaches and have them see and evaluate him.

Happy to share more if you like...

I am a total newby when it comes to football recruiting. My son is a current soph and would love to play football in college at any level. It's hard to decipher what is real and what is just a money grab. Son does not have physical measurables that jump off paper like most sophs who are getting recruited already and getting early offers. As this is my first time through this with a child, I was looking for some feedback from others who have been through it.
- Camps - he gets a lot of emails from div 3 coaches to attend a certain camp. The email is the same content regardless of the coach who sends it. Seems like a money grab.
- Showcases - invite to Indy to go through a combine type atmosphere and get measured, timed, etc. Is this type of stuff legit? When should he do it?
- Services/Recruiting sits - Coach Pete/Deep Dish, Lemming, Rivals, etc. What to make of all this?

Just looking for sound advice and maybe a timeline of what to be doing rising junior summer, etc.
Welcome to the site! Careful a lot of posters will bite here! Anyways. first thing is to be realistic about your son's ability. You mentioned that he doesn't have the measurables so it sounds like you are realistic. The eye test is huge....I've seen 6'5 290 linemen that weren't even the second best linemen on their team, but they get the attention because they fit the requirements. Its not always a fair business.

As stated by a poster above, your son's high school football coach is going to be his biggest recruiter. He should be telling your son what programs he has a realistic chance to play for and then he should be getting on the horn with these Coaches and letting them know about him. Your son should have a good film put together. Nothing huge, 3 to 4 minutes tops, start with his top plays and end with a strong one as well. You don't need a 10-12 minute film, and I've seen a lot of them, it's a highlight tape not their full season in review.

Make sure they have a Twitter account and they keep it strictly football business. Name, school. position, #, height and weight and the link to their film.

I'll throw this out their, a lot of it depends on who your son plays for. My son received interest several from D3 and a couple D2 and never went to one camp....he knew he wasn't D1 so didn't see the point. Some of his teammates in his same situation went and said it was a waste of time. But my son played for Mt. Carmel, which is a high profile program so they get every college in the area contacting them. These D3 programs will then invite you down for junior days and the camps they hold and things go from their. If your son doesn't play for a real high profile programs, he may want to attend a few camps, especially at the smaller schools.

Unfortunately though I don't think their will be camps this summer. I don't see this clearing up for a awhile. If we are fortunate enough to have a 2020 season they are going to ease back into everything and a football showcase with hundreds of players isn't going to be a wise idea....so have him respond to EVERY email and keep in touch with each of them, especially during this time. Best of luck to him!

Last edited:

First off welcome aboard. This board can be a bit tough on newbies so if you have any other additional questions feel free to email me edgytim@edgytim.com

I'll do the best I can to answer.

1. As a few have mentioned here your head coach should be the first point of contact for any and all recruiting questions issues etc. No one works as much with your son as the HS coaches and they will be able to give you an idea of what level he could compete in at the college level.

2. Camps- again a very vague question (and one of the most common from newbies). I would focus on the summer (if they happen this summer) college one camps and at his age go into those camps expecting it to be more of a learning lesson as opposed to trying to earn an offer at that camp. The camps will become much more relevant at this time next year.

3. Showcase- I host one of these showcase in January and have plans for another in May (I'm about 99 percent certain we will cancel the May camp). We had over a dozen FCS schools at my January camp along with several D2/D3/NAIA schools as well....and the showcase camps for me has always been about having a well run and organized event that gives kids a chance to compete WITHOUT having them test (running 40's/shuttle/ etc). Testing in January does nothing but hurt most kids (again that another chapter or three in my book someday). Like anything theses days let the buyer beware.

4. Services etc. Again a very vague question and I honestly have little or no idea what these other people/outlet's role is in this process. Mine? I'm paid to cover IHSA football and football recruiting focusing on kids from the State of Illinois specifically. I'm in my 25th season of running this website and I have also worked for and have been published by several various other entities (NBCSC/Chicago Sun Times/Chicago Tribune/Daily Herald/Joliet Herald News along with various radio and other media's) all involving IHSA football and/or football recruiting. My subscriber base is made up of college coaches from across the country at all levels along with fans just like you, parents and players.

Next steps for your son? How are the grades? Great? Good? Ok? Grades come first. Then? Again go back to the HS coach for help...get stronger, faster and improve your overall game. Has your son made the varsity roster yet? Seen any action at the varsity level? If not that has to be the next goal before anything else should even be considered.

Again feel free to email me any additional questions

Reactions: Gene K.
Thanks for all of the responses. He has spoken to his coach but as a Soph, its been fairly cursory at this point. Coach tells him he needs to grow. If he was 6-2 instead of 5-11... He was a varsity starter for a mid level program in one of top conferences in the state. He has grades (near top of class), tape and production on field. McCaravan hit the nail on the head - impatience sets in as he sees teammates and friends at other schools getting attention due to the physical stature without great production on the field. For us, academics will dictate school over any football scholarship. His coach would view top end for him maybe Ivy with a fallback to play at a top academic D3 school. Those are great options but like most kids he sees the glory of an athletic scholarship. It can be challenging to smoke out the outreach that will not help him get noticed - there are kids he knows paying for services like NCSA, going to US Football National camps (that cost $$), going to pay for combines, etc. and I get asked "should I be doing these things?"

Welcome to the site! Careful a lot of posters will bite here! Anyways. first thing is to be realistic about your son's ability. You mentioned that he doesn't have the measurables so it sounds like you are realistic. The eye test is huge....I've seen 6'5 290 linemen that weren't even the second best linemen on their team, but they get the attention because they fit the requirements. Its not always a fair business.

As stated by a poster above, your son's high school football coach is going to be his biggest recruiter. He should be telling your son what programs he has a realistic chance to play for and then he should be getting on the horn with these Coaches and letting them know about him. Your son should have a good film put together. Nothing huge, 3 to 4 minutes tops, start with his top plays and end with a strong one as well. You don't need a 10-12 minute film, and I've seen a lot of them, it's a highlight tape not their full season in review.

Make sure they have a Twitter account and they keep it strictly football business. Name, school. position, #, height and weight and the link to their film.

I'll throw this out their, a lot of it depends on who your son plays for. My son received interest several from D3 and a couple D2 and never went to one camp....he knew he wasn't D1 so didn't see the point. Some of his teammates in his same situation went and said it was a waste of time. But my son played for Mt. Carmel, which is a high profile program so they get every college in the area contacting them. These D3 programs will then invite you down for junior days and the camps they hold and things go from their. If your son doesn't play for a real high profile programs, he may want to attend a few camps, especially at the smaller schools.

Unfortunately though I don't think their will be camps this summer. I don't see this clearing up for a awhile. If we are fortunate enough to have a 2020 season they are going to ease back into everything and a football showcase with hundreds of players isn't going to be a wise idea....so have him respond to EVERY email and keep in touch with each of them, especially during this time. Best of luck to him!
This is spot on, my son has never been to a camp (mostly cause he was a travel baseball player too), he grew a lot after his sophomore year and into his JR year and started every game on the line. He's received a lot of DII/DIII attention and some FCS schools. Had a few Jr Day visits schedules and planned over Spring Break (Bucknell, Drake, one of the Minnesota States) that won't happen. His coaches do a good job of directing the coaches to the players they feel fit that program, but I don't know if he's going to have a chance to get in front of anyone this summer, which is unfortunate, cause he's worked really hard to get where he is (both on the field and in the classroom).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT