ADVERTISEMENT

Question,why is lovie smith still coaching,he's robbing the Illini nation.

I know the question is rhetorical, but my vote would be - No.

No,.........IL has not hit bottom yet.

To truly hit bottom - need an 0 -12 season to snuff out all hope from the fan base.

Then the rebuild can begin. They can schedule North Central or Mount Union as a non con game and slowly build the program back up.

I remember a decade or so ago my University of Washington Huskies going 0-12 for the first time in history. USC beat us 60ish to zero and it wasn’t even that close. they played every eligible player they had and started taking knees in the fourth quarter.

That,.... my friend,... is rock bottom

IL is a powerhouse with multiple wins compared to that UW team/program that hit bottom.

Last time I cared about Illini football was when I watching Jeff George throwing TDs.

Last time I cared about Illini football was when I watching Jeff George throwing TDs.

They had a really fun defense to watch maybe 20 years ago? Couple DEs LBers drafted from that team but cant remember the year(s) But I watched some of those games as I am pac10 guy and also watched Big10 and loved the classic Rose bowl matchups.

Then the rebuild can begin. They can schedule North Central or MountUnion asanoncongame and slowly build the program backup.
Why do you think that they could beat North Central or Mount Union ?

Reactions: Cat Box
My kid’s roomies had to pay $35 to stay an extra day at the Newman Center dorms because they are in the band. Probably them and their parents were the only ones sporting orange yesterday.
I was thinking the same thing.
I can’t imagine that there were more than a few hundred people in the stands by the end of that game yesterday.

Then the rebuild can begin. They can schedule North Central or MountUnion asanoncongame and slowly build the program backup.
Why do you think that they could beat North Central or Mount Union ?

Lol. Never said they would beat NCC or Mount Union - only that they could schedule them in a rebuild ;) I’m thinking they would be heavy favorites but can you imagine if a DIii beat a D1 program? Whoa.

I watched part of the Illinois game yesterday till the train wreck of the 2nd quarter. If Illinois would travel to Alliance Ohio , I honestly feel Mount Union could hang with them for a long time. Eventually the athleticism and speed would win out, but by no means would they be embarrassed. ( Like Iowa did to them yesterday ).

I watched part of the Illinois game yesterday till the train wreck of the 2nd quarter. If Illinois would travel to Alliance Ohio , I honestly feel Mount Union could hang with them for a long time. Eventually the athleticism and speed would win out, but by no means would they be embarrassed. ( Like Iowa did to them yesterday ).

The fact that I read your post and had to think about it for two seconds speaks volumes about where the program is right now.

I wonder if those stud commits from St Louis have looked around with the way this year has gone?

The Illini are like the Cincinnati Bengals. Once a decent team but you kind of forgot they were still in the league.

I wish the Illini would play a one and one with NIU. Would be fun to see an Illini v Huskies game in DeKalb.

I understand Smallings went to U of I to be close to home and have immediate playing time but he needs to jump ship to a school with a proven passing game

Smalling went to UofI because of Coach Smith and the chance to be apart of rebuilding the program in his home state.
Nothing to do with close to home
And we would get playing time at pretty much any D1 school, give or take a few schools.

I just saw that the Illini have an entire offensive line of Illinois prep products [Lowe, Green, Kramer, Allegretti, Palczewski], and they rank second in the conference in rushing. If you like advanced stats via Bill Connelly [I LOVE THEM] , they are seventh nationally in RUSHING S&P+, Rushing marginal efficiency*, and Opportunity rate*. Those are great signs of a good line and they are all are underclassmen except the senior Allegretti.

Sadly, the rest of the team is atrocious, including arguably the Illini's worst defense ever... under a defensive coach... who hangs everything on his defensive prowess...

There are ~ 36,000 active Penn State alumni in Chicagoland. The TV draw because of Alumni base alone is bigger than the average attendance at Northwestern and U of I combined.

How is it that Illinois and Northwestern are playing on the Big Ten Network while Penn State and Maryland is the local Chicago game on ABC?

Just wanted to put this out there now that the season is officially over for Highland. They missed out on Farmer five years ago and they very well might miss out on another chance on a Highland kid.

Sam Laporta is the most athletic kid to come through Highland. This includes Billy Greenwald from the ‘89 semi final team. He went on to play at Northwestern before an injury ended his career and held the state single season rushing touchdown record with 45 that was eventually broke in 2005. Also Jake Odorizzi who is currently a pitcher for the Minnesota Twins who was offered for both baseball and football to Louisville.

Sam Laporta finished his career with astounding numbers that puts him on the top ten of every major receiving statistic.

Reception Yards - 2nd all time with 3,885 yards

Reception Touchdowns - 3rd all time with 50

Receptions - Tied for 10th all time with 196

Sam has some amazing offers that include a lot of Ivy League schools and most notably, Yale. Not only is he a great athlete and smart, he is a great kid too. A kid to be looked up. He carries himself in a manner that is not normal for someone with his ability and accolades. He is humble and doesn’t go on to brag and throw numbers in faces. He isn’t loud or showy, but he has that it factor. Sam will make whatever college coach that gets him a very happy man.

Congratulations to Sam Laporta on a great high school football career and I can’t wait to watch the basketball season.

We really need Illinois to open their eyes on this kid before it is too late. Don’t miss out on this kid like you did Farmer!!
Sounds like Bielema made mention of exactly what I was saying exactly 3 years ago in his presser today.

Laporta is projecting on some draft boards now. His reception yards and touchdown records still hold up. He has fell out of the top 10 in IHSA history for career receptions. As a converted Iowa fan, I think Laporta was so fortunate to fall in the Kirk Ferentz’s lap. #TEU

Reactions: stl705
Sounds like Bielema made mention of exactly what I was saying exactly 3 years ago in his presser today.

Laporta is projecting on some draft boards now. His reception yards and touchdown records still hold up. He has fell out of the top 10 in IHSA history for career receptions. As a converted Iowa fan, I think Laporta was so fortunate to fall in the Kirk Ferentz’s lap. #TEU
Sam has done well. But it wasnt just Illinois who missed on him. Iowa was his only b10 offer. He didnt have any other offers from p5 schools

Sam has done well. But it wasnt just Illinois who missed on him. Iowa was his only b10 offer. He didnt have any other offers from p5 schools
Agree 100%. Illinois is where he is from though still. This is to credit Bielemas focus on recruiting homegrown.

Reactions: Gene K.
For whatever reason Lovie didn’t appear to recruit the farm schools in our state. Which is shocking w the size of the support staff these power 5 schools have now - every kid a HS coach send you can get evaluated now.

The kids from Lena Winslow come to mind as well. How do you not even recruit them and they all go to Iowa?

look forward to seeing the results of the new Illini staff recruit our state.

Agree 100%. Illinois is where he is from though still. This is to credit Bielemas focus on recruiting homegrown.
I'll generously say im indifferent to the job BB has done recruiting wise, specifically in state. It doesnt matter to me if you sign a bunch of kids from the state if they arent b10 caliber players. Half our class doesn't have an offer from other b10 schools. 6 of our 9 in state commits dont have offers from any other b10 school.

I'll generously say im indifferent to the job BB has done recruiting wise, specifically in state. It doesnt matter to me if you sign a bunch of kids from the state if they arent b10 caliber players. Half our class doesn't have an offer from other b10 schools. 6 of our 9 in state commits dont have offers from any other b10 school.
A couple of things:
1. BB and staff came in after most of the class of 22 had already established relationships with the programs. Lovie made little effort to go after most of the instate kids. BB’s efforts on the instate front really cannot be judged until the class of 24.
2. You have no clue what programs have offered these kids. Not every kid posts all their offers. Some kids claim teams are in their “top 5/10/20” finalists and don’t even have an offer from some of those schools. Also you don’t know if some of the players have not been offered since they committed to Illinois.

Reactions: USD24
A couple of things:
1. BB and staff came in after most of the class of 22 had already established relationships with the programs. Lovie made little effort to go after most of the instate kids. BB’s efforts on the instate front really cannot be judged until the class of 24.
That's fine. He still hasn't done anything wrt to this class to get excited about, which is why I said at this point im indifferent on his in state recruiting.
2. You have no clue what programs have offered these kids. Not every kid posts all their offers. Some kids claim teams are in their “top 5/10/20” finalists and don’t even have an offer from some of those schools. Also you don’t know if some of the players have not been offered since they committed to Illinois.
I don't follow any of these kids on twitter, so I am not even commenting on who or what they post. Rivals has a pretty good database and tracking system of which kids have offers (I do assume they follow these kids, and the respective "insiders" from the schools that offer them.) Some of the post-commit comments and interviews from these kids pretty much confirm Illinois was their only p5 or b10 offer.

Also, dollars to donuts that if anything, kids are going to post about offers they dont have, as opposed to not posting about offers they get.

Reactions: chiliconcarne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT