ADVERTISEMENT

Question,why is lovie smith still coaching,he's robbing the Illini nation.

Well, he beat the guy you wanted and Minnesota is sinking fast while the Illini have shown improvement.

Inability to acknowledge that obvious fact makes the discussion pointless.

Bones, I don't remember recommeding Fleck. If I did, I offered him as an option based upon what he did at Western Michigan.

But you are correct, losing to Illinois does not look good for him.

Bones, I don't remember recommeding Fleck. If I did, I offered him as an option based upon what he did at Western Michigan.

But you are correct, losing to Illinois does not look good for him.
I thought I saw a Fleck recommendation. My only thing is Beckman/Cubit had to go. Lovie was an attempt to make a splash. No one and I mean no one would be able to turn this program around in 3 years even prior to the Beckman/Cubit damage. Hell, I feel Bill Cubit intentionally tried to destroy the program. So no matter who the Illini get as a head coach they'd be bad right now. Firing Lovie now only makes it harder to get a top coach. Who wants to put their reputation on the line for this dumpster fire? Especially if the people in charge are dumb enough to think it's a 3 year turnaround job?

Why are we blaming Lovie? Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade but U of I is no longer an elite school, at least not for sports. Kids leave Illinois because they can. Lovie is just another victim with a cool beard. That’s all.

Reactions: Tain33
Why are we blaming Lovie? Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade but U of I is no longer an elite school, at least not for sports. Kids leave Illinois because they can. Lovie is just another victim with a cool beard. That’s all.
Yea he's a victim alright,just standing dumm founded on the sidelines making millions of dollars per year.

Yea he's a victim alright,just standing dumm founded on the sidelines making millions of dollars per year.
Well hopefully the next dummy in line won’t be making as much while they’re still losing.

Well hopefully the next dummy in line won’t be making as much while they’re still losing.
Good point but I believe the biggest issue is lack of quality players ,he's recruiting a second tier element,you get what you pay for!

in other news, U of I's best Chicagoland recruiting Fabian McCray decommitted today. Good times

Well, he beat the guy you wanted and Minnesota is sinking fast while the Illini have shown improvement.

Inability to acknowledge that obvious fact makes the discussion pointless.

Minnesota is a dumpster fire and getting worse every week. Fleck likely won't make year 4 of his contracts. Top Fleck recruits already transferring out.

Reactions: wasdo
Minnesota is a dumpster fire and getting worse every week. Fleck likely won't make year 4 of his contracts. Top Fleck recruits already transferring out.
Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana are all perennial disappointments. Coaching career stepping stones maybe but not career makers.

Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana are all perennial disappointments. Coaching career stepping stones maybe but not career makers.

Jerry Kill won there. Tracy Clayes did well, (though displayed a complete lack of personal leadership and had to go.)

Fleck went in and tried to do a complete rebuild job on a perenniel, 8-5/9-4 program. Makes no sense. His scheme only works when his team has the most talent on the field which will never happen at Minnesota

Good point but I believe the biggest issue is lack of quality players ,he's recruiting a second tier element,you get what you pay for!
Do you have an idea of the level that wisconsin, iowa, northwestern and michigan state have typically recruited at?

Yes I do they don’t for bustouts from Florida that no other schools wanted

The game on Saturday will highlight all the misses on instate recruiting.

ND starters from IL
Julian Love- Naz
Trevor Ruhland- CC
Miles Boykin- Provi

ND major contributors
Cole Kemet- St Viator
Nic Weisher- Marist
Houston Griffith- MC/ Img

And Northwestern has even more in state guy contributing.

The funny this with ND is a few years they concentrated on Cali, Tex and FL for recruiting and realized it is better to get the best local guys and try to cherry pick players from those states. Illinois is making the same mistake ND made buy neglecting the in state talent for far off kids.
I am not sure Illini are neglecting in state, they just are not good at recruiting. Who would rather go to U of I rather than ND...and now Northwestern? The program really needs someone with gravitas, energy and not a coach who looks like he is about to fall asleep in between sentences.

Just wanted to put this out there now that the season is officially over for Highland. They missed out on Farmer five years ago and they very well might miss out on another chance on a Highland kid.

Sam Laporta is the most athletic kid to come through Highland. This includes Billy Greenwald from the ‘89 semi final team. He went on to play at Northwestern before an injury ended his career and held the state single season rushing touchdown record with 45 that was eventually broke in 2005. Also Jake Odorizzi who is currently a pitcher for the Minnesota Twins who was offered for both baseball and football to Louisville.

Sam Laporta finished his career with astounding numbers that puts him on the top ten of every major receiving statistic.

Reception Yards - 2nd all time with 3,885 yards

Reception Touchdowns - 3rd all time with 50

Receptions - Tied for 10th all time with 196

Sam has some amazing offers that include a lot of Ivy League schools and most notably, Yale. Not only is he a great athlete and smart, he is a great kid too. A kid to be looked up. He carries himself in a manner that is not normal for someone with his ability and accolades. He is humble and doesn’t go on to brag and throw numbers in faces. He isn’t loud or showy, but he has that it factor. Sam will make whatever college coach that gets him a very happy man.

Congratulations to Sam Laporta on a great high school football career and I can’t wait to watch the basketball season.

We really need Illinois to open their eyes on this kid before it is too late. Don’t miss out on this kid like you did Farmer!!

Reactions: pjjp
HHS,

I couldn’t agree with you more...the LaPorta kid is special and I said that before. I also said he doesn’t appear to have that 3rd gear. Not so sure I’m right now it could just be my perception. I’m guessing that the illini (coach stoker) asked him to walk on? They asked my son to do the same thing as he was being offered a Blue Shirt(check into this based on LaPorta’s academics) by Penn State. LaPorta will find his best fit and Yale as a back stop ain’t too shabby...after all education is plan A everything else is plan B!

Just wanted to put this out there now that the season is officially over for Highland. They missed out on Farmer five years ago and they very well might miss out on another chance on a Highland kid.

Sam Laporta is the most athletic kid to come through Highland. This includes Billy Greenwald from the ‘89 semi final team. He went on to play at Northwestern before an injury ended his career and held the state single season rushing touchdown record with 45 that was eventually broke in 2005. Also Jake Odorizzi who is currently a pitcher for the Minnesota Twins who was offered for both baseball and football to Louisville.

Sam Laporta finished his career with astounding numbers that puts him on the top ten of every major receiving statistic.

Sam has some amazing offers that include a lot of Ivy League schools and most notably, Yale. Not only is he a great athlete and smart, he is a great kid too. A kid to be looked up. He carries himself in a manner that is not normal for someone with his ability and accolades. He is humble and doesn’t go on to brag and throw numbers in faces. He isn’t loud or showy, but he has that it factor. Sam will make whatever college coach that gets him a very happy man.

Congratulations to Sam Laporta on a great high school football career and I can’t wait to watch the basketball season.

We really need Illinois to open their eyes on this kid before it is too late. Don’t miss out on this kid like you did Farmer!!

Reactions: 4hhsbulldogs

I was very impressed with Laporta Saturday night. Clearly stood out on the field. It is nice to hear that he is a great kid as well.

I was very impressed with Laporta Saturday night. Clearly stood out on the field. It is nice to hear that he is a great kid as well.
I was impressed with him as well. I could see him growing into a hybrid TE-type, similar to Trey Burton on the Bears.

I wasn’t really paying attention to the Illini yesterday (not many do) but I just saw they lost 63-0 at home to Iowa which is their worst home loss in 95 years, is this the bottom yet?

Reactions: epicbret
Just keep paying your taxes. We have three years left with the highest paid state employee! Is there a recall vote available for that office?

Paging Dr. Holecek....paging Dr. Holecek
Gerry Faust got to a couple bowls and voted not to go after a 6-5 season, before people go there. At least you got a shot at a Duke/Stanford kind of roster plus whatever remaining south suburb connects he might have.

Just keep paying your taxes. We have three years left with the highest paid state employee! Is there a recall vote available for that office?
Why did they get an AD from a D-3 that wasnt Mount Union or St. Thomas MN?

Before the iowa game ,a bowl game was being mentioned,can you believe that ? Another great job lovie,pack it in ,you put the fighting illini at custers last stand, ,,,,thanks.!!!

it was 7-0, then like 2 minutes later it was 28-0. All I did was blink. I still dont know who we think will be able to recruit better.

Reactions: atrain97
it was 7-0, then like 2 minutes later it was 28-0. All I did was blink. I still dont know who we think will be able to recruit better.
You can’t have it both ways.

In one thread you say/imply Illinois is as good as any state, bemoaning people’s inflated opinions of out of state opponents.

Then here you imply there is not talent in the state. If that’s not what you meant, my apologies.

You can’t have it both ways.

In one thread you say/imply Illinois is as good as any state, bemoaning people’s inflated opinions of out of state opponents.

Then here you imply there is not talent in the state. If that’s not what you meant, my apologies.
No, there's plenty talent in the state...........that doesn't want to go to UofI regardless of who is the coach. The program is abysmal and has been abysmal. Even the Zooker who was known as a recruiter was getting out of state talent.

Lovie is at best a good defensive coordinator. He has failed as a head coach in the NFL. He has shown nothing now as a NCAA head coach. Watching Illinois is painful. This program is in need of a enema.

Reactions: eireog
I wasn’t really paying attention to the Illini yesterday (not many do) but I just saw they lost 63-0 at home to Iowa which is their worst home loss in 95 years, is this the bottom yet?

I know the question is rhetorical, but my vote would be - No.

No,.........IL has not hit bottom yet.

To truly hit bottom - need an 0 -12 season to snuff out all hope from the fan base.

Then the rebuild can begin. They can schedule North Central or Mount Union as a non con game and slowly build the program back up.

I remember a decade or so ago my University of Washington Huskies going 0-12 for the first time in history. USC beat us 60ish to zero and it wasn’t even that close. they played every eligible player they had and started taking knees in the fourth quarter.

That,.... my friend,... is rock bottom

IL is a powerhouse with multiple wins compared to that UW team/program that hit bottom.

Reactions: markmacaluso
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT