ADVERTISEMENT

Private Schools

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
Since private schools have more freedom than Public’s in some regards....if the IHSA decides to not have a season can’t the private schools come together and come up w a privates only season?

Private schools can come up w their own schedule possibly. Not sure how you would do a playoff.

Lets be honest - private schools have to be in a world of hurt right now. If e-learning is mandatory, I would assume numerous families will simply have their kid go to a public school to not have to pay $5k+ for basically home school. Also, w millions losing their jobs...would think families won’t be able to afford private school.

Doing a private only season should help bring kids to the school and help address would could be a huge issue ahead w enrollement.

Since private schools have more freedom than Public’s in some regards....if the IHSA decides to not have a season can’t the private schools come together and come up w a privates only season?

Private schools can come up w their own schedule possibly. Not sure how you would do a playoff.

Lets be honest - private schools have to be in a world of hurt right now. If e-learning is mandatory, I would assume numerous families will simply have their kid go to a public school to not have to pay $5k+ for basically home school. Also, w millions losing their jobs...would think families won’t be able to afford private school.

Doing a private only season should help bring kids to the school and help address would could be a huge issue ahead w enrollement.
If private schools goto elearning I'd say they lose 10-20% of their students.

Reactions: guerinfbfan
I would argue perhaps more than 20%. The common misperception is that private athletes get a financial pass, which they do not. The truth is that many parents have scrape and claw to come up with tuition in good times. Since there are few, if any, families out there that have not taken a financial hit over the last five months, I can see a dangerous drop in enrollment, not just from athletes. Very scary times for the privates, which if things go south, potentially may never recover.

If private schools goto elearning I'd say they lose 10-20% of their students.

Yeah I have to agree with this. Cant see how parents can justify paying upwards of 10k for e-learning. Save the cash for college.

I was watching a show that said if public schools are doing e-learning and the private schools choose in-classroom that there would be a gain of enrollment in the private schools.

Can private schools play each other in the fall and also have an IHSA season in the spring?

Last edited:
I was watching a show that said if public schools are doing e-learning and the private schools choose in-classroom that there would be a gain of enrollment in the private schools.
Seems like more and more catholic league schools are coming out with in class learning. Saw St. Viator announced this today. JCA and MC going some type of hybrid system, Benet most likely a hybrid system or possibly block scheduling to limit students in school. Has any of the catholic schools announce that they are doing e-learning entirely at the beginning of the semester.

Last I saw from Joliet Archdiocese was that in person teaching was preferred upon approval of each schools safety plan and that they were reviewing them so I supposed as the plans are approved the schools will be announcing they are in person learning or at least some level of it vs. remote learning.

Reactions: Gene K.
Can we make any guess about students keeping masks on in the private schools vs public schools that might affect the adoption and ultimate success of onsite instruction frequency and continuation?

Naz has been on block scheduling for a few years now. Wonder if that will help them get back in the classroom at some capacity.

The common misperception is that private athletes get a financial pass

You're saying that athletes at Catholic schools aren't awarded scholarships. Is that true for all athletes, even recruited, blue-chip prospects? What about academic scholarships? There was a time when Carmel gave out both.

You're saying that athletes at Catholic schools aren't awarded scholarships. Is that true for all athletes, even recruited, blue-chip prospects? What about academic scholarships? There was a time when Carmel gave out both.

Yes. Based on my experience and close relationship with several CCL ESCC schools and my involvement with raising money at my alma mater. I will use for an example a program, that will remain nameless, that has had tremendous success over the last decade. Football players at that school do not receive scholarships, though many are need. The student athletes receive the exact same financial package as kids in the band or kids in the drama club. There are many D1 players from that school that have been talked about on this board that paid tuition, less any financial aid based on the same criteria applied to everyone. There have been many future blue chip kid families, who after evaluating the available financial aid package, are simply unable to enroll. For some reason, people smirk at this notion, but but this has been my first hand experience.

Years ago, when tuitions were a fraction of what they are today, it was easier to perhaps offer a full ride (though even back when I played in the dark ages, my CCL alma mater did not give out scholarships). Today, a school cannot justify or afford to absorb 10K, 15k, 20k because Charlie can catch a football. Multiply that by 10, 20 or 30 athletes and that would be a significant chunk of the budget, which is not going to happen, especially when schools are increasingly in more financial distress.

Lastly, I know that some schools have specific "scholarships" which is usually money that comes from an alum or other donor. I have donated to "scholarships" which is actually a misnomer. This is typically a sum certain that helps defray some costs, and is based on requirements per the donor, but again these simply chip away at tuition.

Today however is not about publics versus privates. Football on both sides of the aisle create tremendous memories and opportunities; builds character and discipline, and; shapes lives forever. Anyone who has been around the game will tell you that. We need football. Good luck to everyone today.

From my personal experience, all of the "athletic scholarships" have been rumors - not saying it's not true but i have never seen it.

On the other hand, being a private school guy, I once saw a kid work as a janitor in the early mornings each day to (4:30-7:30) for minimum wage to help pay for tuition. Wasn't a tuition break but rather simply a job. Couldn't work any other hours of the day.

Seems like more and more catholic league schools are coming out with in class learning. Saw St. Viator announced this today. JCA and MC going some type of hybrid system, Benet most likely a hybrid system or possibly block scheduling to limit students in school. Has any of the catholic schools announce that they are doing e-learning entirely at the beginning of the semester.

Last I saw from Joliet Archdiocese was that in person teaching was preferred upon approval of each schools safety plan and that they were reviewing them so I supposed as the plans are approved the schools will be announcing they are in person learning or at least some level of it vs. remote learning.
MC is not going hybrid. Announced going back on time 100%

Reactions: McCaravan
MC is not going hybrid. Announced going back on time 100%
Thanks, I could not remember the details exactly. Benet is going to have in person classes every day too. But to cut down on student population they are alternating days to cut the total in school in half with teachers teaching the same material on each alternating day with some possible live streaming of lectures depending on the class and if students want to cover the material again. At least that is how they are starting out.

Reactions: Luca_Brasi

Pritzker's edict today makes this question moot.

Encouraging note for privates, all the local Public’s in my hometown have decided to go 100% e-learning and the private school has received an influx of new enrollees.

my neighbor is deciding between sending their kid to private school this year or all day daycare. Basically same price. No brainer right?

also, how can daycares stay open but schools can’t? Same environment right?!? Daycares are just turning into schools. SMH

Thanks, I could not remember the details exactly. Benet is going to have in person classes every day too. But to cut down on student population they are alternating days to cut the total in school in half with teachers teaching the same material on each alternating day with some possible live streaming of lectures depending on the class and if students want to cover the material again. At least that is how they are starting out.

Now, I would think that if they are doing half the student body each day, why repeat the class? Set it up so that half the class is in class on Monday, the other half is watching on video. Tuesday, the kids who were in class on Monday are watching on video, the other half are in the classroom. Turn the camera on and have the whole class every day, just half in person and half on video...Are we cutting the curriculum in half so we can repeat Monday and Tuesday?

And then the kids all come in daily for cross country practice, or go to the golf course for practice...or for weight training...

This is going to depend on what the parents think. Right now there is an unwillingness to pay tuition if the schools institute e-Learning. But as more public schools go to full time e-Learning, there may be pressure for the privates to go as well. We will see shortly/

I am hearing from my sources the gravely underpaid private school teachers cant wait to pack em in !!

I am hearing from my sources the gravely underpaid private school teachers cant wait to pack em in !!

I have one that works at a Catholic high school who is throwing a temper tantrum daily about going back.

From what I’m hearing Mount Carmel and St. Rita are the only two South Side Catholic HS going back to 5 days, both with options for students to continue e-learning if they have any issues with returning.....which will probably result in some kids transferring to their public school option, if they feel comfortable with that school, to do e-learning I’m guessing. But I think the 5 day plan may get them some more students from parents who want their son to return full time. The rest of the SS schools are doing part remote learning, part time in class. Well see how it goes....they’re at least trying....more then I can say for Fall Football in this state....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT