ADVERTISEMENT

Over/Under: CPS big school playoff wins

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
Rumor is that Vegas put the number at 1.5 for total number of playoff wins for CPS in classes 5A-8A.

Which side do you got? For reference CPS has 11 schools in the playoffs in these divisions.

I'd bet the house on the under. I think the line should more be like .5

I think 1.5 is the right line. I lean under that, but would go over 0.5.

I think Kenwood is a favorite to win and three others have at least a 25% chance.

I know it’s 4A but Phillips might make the quarterfinals before bowing out. In the rest of the field I’ll give them 1 win.

Reactions: RameyJacoby
Maybe a stupid question, but why? Why do they even participate? Why get bludgeoned in round 1? It's really no good for anyone. They get creamed in their last game and the winning team gets all out of sorts by playing a team that is worse than if they just played their JV team. It is consistently like this every year. The challenges the cps teams face outside of football and the competition level they play during season is just not on same level as rest of state.

I know I probably sound like a pompous ass for asking that question so I guess I'll wear that. But I've been wondering what 5a bracket in particular would look like if there were some more competitive teams in the cps place.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Maybe a stupid question, but why? Why do they even participate? Why get bludgeoned in round 1? It's really no good for anyone. They get creamed in their last game and the winning team gets all out of sorts by playing a team that is worse than if they just played their JV team. It is consistently like this every year. The challenges the cps teams face outside of football and the competition level they play during season is just not on same level as rest of state.

I know I probably sound like a pompous ass for asking that question so I guess I'll wear that. But I've been wondering what 5a bracket in particular would look like if there were some more competitive teams in the cps place.

why not? they still can play in prep bowl unless they make quarters and every few years a team goes deep. The 1a-3a teams actually can be more competitive

why not? they still can play in prep bowl unless they make quarters and every few years a team goes deep. The 1a-3a teams actually can be more competitive
That brings up the question why not choose just 1. They should only be able to choose 1 and I think we all know which they'd choose.

I know it’s 4A but Phillips might make the quarterfinals before bowing out. In the rest of the field I’ll give them 1 win.
I like how you think, I think they will beat Dixon, don’t know much about Kewanee so Honestly I’m pulling for Plano to beat Kewanee then Phillips would get a second round at Gately as far as far as third round Richmond Burton good luck, but the buck will prolly stop there.

I don't know, I skimmed a few years of past brackets 1-4A and did not see many CPS schools winning their round one games.

One of the great things about CPL football is watching kids play football because they love football - in spite of all the challenges they face to play the game. Shared stadiums, no real practice space, equipment issues, lack of trainers, lack of coaches, and the list goes on. This is on top of the challenges that many of the kids face outside of football. Making the state playoffs legitimizes the hard work these kids put in to play the game. So the majority of these teams get beaten pretty badly, so what? So the majority of these teams have no shot at a state championship, so what? Just marginalize them more? I can promise you that there are plenty of teams across the state with no shot at a state championship that are printing up "2021 IHSA Playoff Qualifier" shirts, should they be excluded as well?

I don't know about that, I can see 1-4 or 2-3. But good observation. This is a conference with very little playoff success who's undefeated teams are always a threat to be eliminated in the 1st round.

3 is probably the right number for upstate 8. South Elgin will win first round game then a toss up with Marist. Glenbard South will beat Nobles and have a good chance against Sycamore.

The other 3 teams are heavy underdogs.

Reactions: Panthers1211
I like how you think, I think they will beat Dixon, don’t know much about Kewanee so Honestly I’m pulling for Plano to beat Kewanee then Phillips would get a second round at Gately as far as far as third round Richmond Burton good luck, but the buck will prolly stop there.
Plano is on the road Round 1, Phillips at home so Plano would host in round 2, Phillips possibly in the quarters if RB gets two home games

Reactions: RameyJacoby
Ok. Phillips 50 - Dixon 26. #CPSStrong
I just counted (quickly but I think it’s accurate) 3-19 was the record of all cps qualifiers. Does that really deserve a hashtag? If you were like 50-50 I’d be like damn that’s a big surprise, that’s much better than I thought. But 3-19? Really?!

I just counted (quickly but I think it’s accurate) 3-19 was the record of all cps qualifiers. Does that really deserve a hashtag? If you were like 50-50 I’d be like damn that’s a big surprise, that’s much better than I thought. But 3-19? Really?!
Agreed didn’t deserve a hashtag at all. CPL got toasted in the first round. Not surprised but CPL should want to succeed in another sport besides basketball,

Reactions: Quags57

Why do we let schools like Larkin and elgin into the playoffs then to get shit can right out of the playoffs playing schools like wheaton north?? goes both ways. You have schools in the burbs who get away with it because they're in the burbs. I bet if they right match up happen they would go down to a cps school. Taft had Palatine on the ropes the whole game until a couple of breakdowns happen. Why does glenbard east get in at 9-0 for a tune up for a 5-4 Marist team??? Glenbard east plays cupcake teams

Why do people have an issue with CPS schools making the playoffs? Which 5-4 team didn't make the playoffs because of the CPS?

Warrensburg-Latham

They were the only 5-4 team not to make the playoffs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT