ADVERTISEMENT

Off season round ball thread

The headline read: West Escapes East St. Louis

Sounds like this was a slobber-knocker - 54-50 for the Maroons on the road. Game filled with many dunks - one resulting in a T by big-boy Randolph who hung a bit too long, eliciting boos that he soaked in ... and apparently, EJ blocked Hargrove on a dunk attempt that brought the house down.

Great neighborhood game against two of the state’s and nation’s Best teams.

Illinois seems stacked this year - Curie is up there too.

Collinsville and maybe even Alton could both be sleeper teams this year that are both pretty good. E. St. Louis beat Collinsville on a last second shot in a close one. Really tough conference this year.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
The Belleville West Maroons pull out a 64-56 win against CBC on Saturday night in the showcase game of the Midwest Showdown Shootout at Roberts Gym on the campus of Webster Groves High.

The Marrons were again without Randolph, who was visiting U of I.

Maxpreps has their Xcelwnt 25 and a computer ranking.

West is the only IL team in the former at 11 and their computer ranking had them at 18, Curie at 21 and York???? at 23.

Vashon is nationally ranked and across the River - they come soon too.

West’s schedule is challenging. They still have ESL for another conference game, and the dozen other showcase contests - if they can keep focus until March - with Randolph still picking his college football landing place - it will be impressive to run the table.

These are the teams he's eating up: Elk Grove, Ptine, West Chicago, Wheaton Acadamy, Buffalo Grove and Hersey ... not exactly like the SW Conference minefield.

One parallel would be Park District versus Rucker Park.

These are the teams he's eating up: Elk Grove, Ptine, West Chicago, Wheaton Acadamy, Buffalo Grove and Hersey ... not exactly like the SW Conference minefield.

One parallel would be Park District versus Rucker Park.

I would suggest, politley of course, that I see wayyyyyyyyyy more hoop than you do. Not just this year, but in the past. And what I see out of this sophomore and heard from opposing coaches is truly amazing.

I would also suggest, not as politley, that Hendrickson sees more hoop than 10 of us combined.Chrsitie really tore things up this past summer playing AAU.

Yes, these games now are against MSL teams, not fully the caliber of CPS, CCL, ESCC or your beloved SWC (which is terrific this year). And that is why I included my story here. I spoke with Christie. He knows and understands the value of HS basketball and playing at home. How many guys in his shoes would have transferred? He loves Meadows, loves his coach, his friends and his community.

Crusader, you still live in the Palatine area? If so, join me on Friday at Meadows. I am covering him that night. See for yourself.

I would suggest, politley of course, that I see wayyyyyyyyyy more hoop than you do. Not just this year, but in the past. And what I see out of this sophomore and heard from opposing coaches is truly amazing.

I would also suggest, not as politley, that Hendrickson sees more hoop than 10 of us combined.Chrsitie really tore things up this past summer playing AAU.

Yes, these games now are against MSL teams, not fully the caliber of CPS, CCL, ESCC or your beloved SWC (which is terrific this year). And that is why I included my story here. I spoke with Christie. He knows and understands the value of HS basketball and playing at home. How many guys in his shoes would have transferred? He loves Meadows, loves his coach, his friends and his community.

Crusader, you still live in the Palatine area? If so, join me on Friday at Meadows. I am covering him that night. See for yourself.

I liked that you highlighted him sticking at RM its refreshing to see a kid stay where he is happy and try to build something rather then transfer like everyone else seems to be doing.

I liked that you highlighted him sticking at RM its refreshing to see a kid stay where he is happy and try to build something rather then transfer like everyone else seems to be doing.

Basketball is a little different in that your AAU/ summer team hold more weight than your High School team. Not sure if that matters here or not but its important to note. Hopefully I will get a chance to see the kid play one day.

Basketball is a little different in that your AAU/ summer team hold more weight than your High School team. Not sure if that matters here or not but its important to note. Hopefully I will get a chance to see the kid play one day.

Agree the AAU circuit is more important to recruiting in basketball so that why it’s a head scratcher that kids transfer since playing for a higher profile program isn’t really going to change anything.

I just have a very difficult time thinking a 15/16-year-old is the best player in the state.

The collective hard-on for Zion because of the tremendous strength he possesses - that’s real, because size and strength matter. That comes with age.

Basketball has become a one on one game - positionless monsters and point guards. Would West’s Shumpert shut him down at the top of the key? Or at times he could not, would Randolph meet him in the lane, backed by a shot-swatting Liddell? Tall task to do repeatedly.

I think also about a heads-up match up when thinking about the best. I’ll take EJ or T Hargrove over an admittedly a sight-unseen Rolling Meadows sophomore.

I just have a very difficult time thinking a 15/16-year-old is the best player in the state.

The collective hard-on for Zion because of the tremendous strength he possesses - that’s real, because size and strength matter. That comes with age.

Basketball has become a one on one game - positionless monsters and point guards. Would West’s Shumpert shut him down at the top of the key? Or at times he could not, would Randolph meet him in the lane, backed by a shot-swatting Liddell? Tall task to do repeatedly.

I think also about a heads-up match up when thinking about the best. I’ll take EJ or T Hargrove over an admittedly a sight-unseen Rolling Meadows sophomore.
Don’t let the Rolling Meadows schedule fool you. Max played up on the 17U UA circuit with the Wolves and did well. He is the standout on a phenomenal 15U Wolves team with Anthony Sayles from ND, Chris Hodges and Bryce Hopkins among other top 2021 prospects. It’s easy to see his potential. A spot on the National team, offers from blue blood schools are probably all on the way. When these guys that have been evaluating talent for years consider him the top prospect, I believe some that has to do with projection, no? He’s the type of kid that I could see at Duke. Jon Scheyer has already watched him play. I think I get your point though. if I was taking one guy for one game, right now it would be EJ.

I’m sure he’s fantastic - seems like Apple Pie too! God bless and all that.

I did have a silly thought. You say Jon Scheyer has seen him play ... is that to carry the weight of Duncan Hines Ate Here? Cause I know for sure Steve Kerr saw me drunk one night ... do I have a chance in the NBA?

I’m sure he’s fantastic - seems like Apple Pie too! God bless and all that.

I did have a silly thought. You say Jon Scheyer has seen him play ... is that to carry the weight of Duncan Hines Ate Here? Cause I know for sure Steve Kerr saw me drunk one night ... do I have a chance in the NBA?
Nice! Was Steve Kerr evaluating how well you took your shots?

Jon was evaluating prospects so yes, kinda like Duncan Hines eating here.

There is a difference between being the best player right now and the best prospect. I can't speak for Mike or Joe, but what I think they're saying is that of anyone playing HS hoops in the state right now Max will have the best offer sheet. Not that they think Max would beat EJ in a game to 11 right now playing by 1's and 2's.

You guys know how I feel about offer sheets, but let's not let that take away from the kid. @Quags57 Friday at Meadows sounds good with my Raiders in the middle of a two week break.

Reactions: LAguy
There is a difference between being the best player right now and the best prospect. I can't speak for Mike or Joe, but what I think they're saying is that of anyone playing HS hoops in the state right now Max will have the best offer sheet. Not that they think Max would beat EJ in a game to 11 right now playing by 1's and 2's.

You guys know how I feel about offer sheets, but let's not let that take away from the kid. @Quags57 Friday at Meadows sounds good with my Raiders in the middle of a two week break.

Come on by. Love to meet the world famous Bones in person.

Quags57...potential to help a certain team in Omaha? Max sounds like a player of note.

Reactions: Quags57
After seeing Max for the 1st time I have to admit I am impressed. The kid can absolutely score buckets from deep all the way to above the rim. I do have some questions as to how he would perform with someone similar to him (height/length) guarding him and I'd want to see what WWS did, but the talent is undeniable. And this is early in his sophomore season. With moderate improvement in ball handling over the next two years and a little weight the sky is the limit.

After seeing Max for the 1st time I have to admit I am impressed. The kid can absolutely score buckets from deep all the way to above the rim. I do have some questions as to how he would perform with someone similar to him (height/length) guarding him and I'd want to see what WWS did, but the talent is undeniable. And this is early in his sophomore season. With moderate improvement in ball handling over the next two years and a little weight the sky is the limit.

Here was my take:

https://basketball.dailyherald.com/sports/20181221/christie-meadows-get-past-wheeling

Cahokia looking for an upset over West in Centralia ... tied at 25 near the end of the first half. Announcers speaking about listless Maroons ... and a livid coach.

This is a neighborhood game - everyone knows everyone.

31-27 Cahokia now ... 35 seconds left in the half.

Half ends at 31-29 Commanches.

OHHHH - to be a fly on the West locker room wall!

Reactions: Cross Bones
Collinsville beat MacAurthur. Althoff beat Eisenhower, Evill got smoked by Springfield SE, West by 30 over some crappy team from TN. Collinsville rolled easily. Alton looking for second tourney win after a stretch of forfeits. Two more players come back from suspension for the brawl today. Other later in the season.

This is not a repeat from football, right?
LOL not really. ok team defense but every basketball team needs that 1 that just just plays good hard nose defense, In case you want to play a box in. The bulls had The worm can score but his focus was defense and rebounding. I don't see that in today's game too much. Everyone thinks they are the next Micheal Jordan, But what they forget MJ was on the all defensive team just about every year

I've been at Pontiac the past two days. Simeon goes to OT with Lockport then beats SCN by 4. Danville got washed by SCN. Benet and Bloomington are giving a good game now.

Reactions: playboymixx
Collinsville beat MacAurthur. Althoff beat Eisenhower, Evill got smoked by Springfield SE, West by 30 over some crappy team from TN. Collinsville rolled easily. Alton looking for second tourney win after a stretch of forfeits. Two more players come back from suspension for the brawl today. Other later in the season.

Springfield Southeast lost a couple of their best players to injury in their game with Edwardsville. It sucks too because they CLEARLY did not need them to win the game. Likely won't play in the next game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT