ADVERTISEMENT

Off season round ball thread

I saw that score and was pleasantly surprised. Benet is yearly one of my favorite teams to watch, I know some people that will beat me up for saying it, but I have an appreciation for their brand; fundamentally sound, hit open shots, and won't beat themselves. I also like that they show up in blazers and khakis, it stands out.
Great comment Bones !

Coach Heidkamp is a school treasure. He is a great coach and person. His players love playing for him.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Looks like we will see who the CPS big dog is this week.

Undefeated Curry, who beat 7-1 ESL in OT, takes on Morgan Park tomorrow and 1-3 Simeon on Thursday. Notably, Simeon getting whooped by teams across the country. Maybe this was not the year to jet set for them.

Took a couple competitive losses in Iowa. We'll be better once our best player comes back. I'm kinda worried about this Holiday Tournament in Florida though

Vashon rushed MP too. This just may be a reputation-seeded team.

Surely Simeon is over-hyped - they are sub-500.

Could be but, Vashon is supposed to be pretty good as well. Things will heat up soon and we will know more about each team.

Do any hoops experts know of a Kevin Boopie Miller at Morgan Park - or formerly at MP - I understand he transferred to St Laurence - is that true?

interesting - I wonder about eligibility rules in this case - public to private - maybe next semester?
I think there is a 30 day period he has to wait as long as he didn't participate in an official Morgan Park practice. The paperwork from both schools must be filed as well. With a CPS school that may take longer than normal. Any idea why he left Morgan Park?

I think there is a 30 day period he has to wait as long as he didn't participate in an official Morgan Park practice. The paperwork from both schools must be filed as well. With a CPS school that may take longer than normal. Any idea why he left Morgan Park?
I took a look on Twitter - maybe just squeezed out of playing time as MP received in some recruits this year and maybe it is just a #'s thing - I might be wrong but he may have suited up with MP in Nov - worst case scenario is that he sits all year - I think he is only a SOPH - so 2 years to go

Nice win for the Brook last night.
The Burford kid is good, really good, at driving and finishing. Kind of undersized so he'll have to develop a jumper or learn to pass.

Romeoville was solid too surprisingly.

This could be the best St. Laurence team since the Stack and Boyle era.

This could be the best St. Laurence team since the Stack and Boyle era.
at least the best team since 2003 when they lost a tight SuperSectional game against Thornwood - very exciting team to watch this year - lack of size may bite 'em tho - and their sectional competition is fierce with Bogan and MP

Reactions: eireog
Curie is 10-0 after beating 1-5 Simeon.

West and ESL square up tonight - wish I could watch. At least the 1/5/19 game against Vashon will be streamed.

What I find interesting about high school hoops is how quickly the players transition to the next level. When EJ was a freshman, he got pushed around a little, but banged back against junior Jordan Goodwin, now a SLU sophomore. The same year, Goodwin hung TOUGH with one of last year's NBA Rookie of the Year Candidates, Jayson Tatum, who also played against EJ as a freshman.

I hope a pipeline to the NBA develops down there in the STL area. Let's not forget Tilmon of Mizzou and Cart'are, now a frosh at SLU, were top 40 HS players, among others. Lots of talent in a small metro area.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Joliet West plays Curie in the first round of the Pontiac tournament. Yikes! :(

I am seeing Joliet West host Oswego East tonight. I have not been to a game at Joliet West since 1992, beat JCA to win the regional that night. :)

That may be the last time JCA was in a regional championship in hoops

Joliet Catholic lost to Hillcrest in the regional final in 2017. But I thought JCA won a regional a few years ago under Joe Gura????

You might be right. I dont follow it very close. Pretty hard to watch. Not a real glorious hoops tradition for the Hilltoppers

You might be right. I dont follow it very close. Pretty hard to watch. Not a real glorious hoops tradition for the Hilltoppers
they were pretty good in the Illini 8, late 70s early 80s. Mike Gillespie, Gordie's son, was the coach. He ended up taking Florida A&M to the NCAA tournament. I think 1980 or 1981 they made the Sweet 16, lost a close game to Quincy. I'm still mad about the officiating in the 1988 regional....

hey were you there for the infamous Lockport goaltending at Romeoville HS in 1988? I heard both sets of fans stormed the court afterwards, chaos!

they were pretty good in the Illini 8, late 70s early 80s. Mike Gillespie, Gordie's son, was the coach. He ended up taking Florida A&M to the NCAA tournament. I think 1980 or 1981 they made the Sweet 16, lost a close game to Quincy. I'm still mad about the officiating in the 1988 regional....

hey were you there for the infamous Lockport goaltending at Romeoville HS in 1988? I heard both sets of fans stormed the court afterwards, chaos!

I was at the 88 game. Was my senior year. Crazy game and atmosphere. I have never seen that call made before or since. The 88 team had a great run before losing in the supersectionals to Bloom Trail

Lockport coach said it was 3 feet short. Not true. The ball was definitely going to hit the rim and maybe even go in. . There is a great picture in the JCHS yearbook taken from behind the basket showing Antoine Harris grabbing the ball as it comes down.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-03-12-8802290129-story.html

Lockport coach said it was 3 feet short. Not true. The ball was definitely going to hit the rim and maybe even go in. . There is a great picture in the JCHS yearbook taken from behind the basket showing Antoine Harris grabbing the ball as it comes down.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-03-12-8802290129-story.html
I saw that picture in the JCHS yearbook and it does look like the ball is going to hit the rim. Kinda funny that the trail official 84 feet away made the call.

The headline read: West Escapes East St. Louis

Sounds like this was a slobber-knocker - 54-50 for the Maroons on the road. Game filled with many dunks - one resulting in a T by big-boy Randolph who hung a bit too long, eliciting boos that he soaked in ... and apparently, EJ blocked Hargrove on a dunk attempt that brought the house down.

Great neighborhood game against two of the state’s and nation’s Best teams.

Illinois seems stacked this year - Curie is up there too.

Reactions: playboymixx
ADVERTISEMENT