ADVERTISEMENT

Off season round ball thread

I've been at Pontiac the past two days. Simeon goes to OT with Lockport then beats SCN by 4. Danville got washed by SCN. Benet and Bloomington are giving a good game now.

How's the tournament so far this year? I've been following the scores online. I used to have season tickets to that tournament every year.

West, Champaign Central, Alton and Evanston are all in the winners bracket in Centralia.

I did notice that I did not see Keith Ramdolph in the box scores ... and the games are not being covered, so I don’t know if that’s an oversight. If he decides to shut down shop and prep for football - or graduate early - that SEVERELY hampers West’s repeat bid or claim to a high National position.

West, Champaign Central, Alton and Evanston are all in the winners bracket in Centralia.

I did notice that I did not see Keith Ramdolph in the box scores ... and the games are not being covered, so I don’t know if that’s an oversight. If he decides to shut down shop and prep for football - or graduate early - that SEVERELY hampers West’s repeat bid or claim to a high National position.
Man, I really hope that Randolph is still playing. I'm really hoping that BW gets the back to back championship this year. First time since ESL Lincoln back in the 80's that a team from our area would have repeat b-ball championships.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
How's the tournament so far this year? I've been following the scores online. I used to have season tickets to that tournament every year.
Pretty good. With Simeon being down, but getting that favorable draw it kind of tarnishes it. The lower bracket is clearly much stronger than the upper. Benet v Bloomington was really good as was the OPRF v Bloom until late. I don't know what happened that Manual is no longer a powerhouse, but I wish they'd get that mojo back.

Chris Payton could be a monster but takes too many plays off on D. That probably explains the SIU commitment instead of the big time programs.

Pretty good. With Simeon being down, but getting that favorable draw it kind of tarnishes it. The lower bracket is clearly much stronger than the upper. Benet v Bloomington was really good as was the OPRF v Bloom until late. I don't know what happened that Manual is no longer a powerhouse, but I wish they'd get that mojo back.

Chris Payton could be a monster but takes too many plays off on D. That probably explains the SIU commitment instead of the big time programs.

I really remember the days when Peoria Manual was the team to beat at Pontiac. Even before they went on to win 4 state titles in a row, they were a monster team at Pontiac.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Man, I really hope that Randolph is still playing. I'm really hoping that BW gets the back to back championship this year. First time since ESL Lincoln back in the 80's that a team from our area would have repeat b-ball championships.
Without Randolph, you lose the beef factor. They can play someone 6-11 on the block who will not be used to his sheer power, allowing EJ to jump and swat. Randolph hits those boards hard too - how often does a scrawny-butt dude wanna bang with that?

These are the concerns for the Bass Pro Shop series - playing the good national teams.

Without Randolph, you lose the beef factor. They can play someone 6-11 on the block who will not be used to his sheer power, allowing EJ to jump and swat. Randolph hits those boards hard too - how often does a scrawny-butt dude wanna bang with that?

These are the concerns for the Bass Pro Shop series - playing the good national teams.
Agreed. They need him to repeat last year's success.

Has the FLU

Alton up 15-13 after a quarter.

Alton’s Quay was 6-2 last year - matches EJ’s height this year. A guard - but announcers say he’s giving up 60 to Liddell’s true 230.

Now it’s 16-15 West, now 18-16 Alton ...

High scoring.

Alton goes four corners and up by seven early in the second. Liddell and Quay getting chippy. Conference foes.

36-29.

38-29.

Five minutes in the third.

Brazil III keeping West in it.

40-31 with 90 seconds in 3q.

Marioons Score - 24 for Brazil III so far. West down three - 8-0 west run- now down one. West up by one now.

Near end of 3q.

45-44 Redbirds ... now Quay moves of EJ - three fouls.

EJ BLOCKED IN THE PAINT!!!!

Offensive Foul on EJ at end of the Q - West down by one.

West up by one. West ball - taking time. Looking to feed EJ who has a shorty on him now. No good - Alton rebound.

Alton up by one now.

Liddell to the line. Only 10 points tonight - misses the cripple.

Announcers calling it “grown man basketball” letting them play.

Then an O foul on West.

Lots of bumping in the paint / EJ shooting free throws - both good. West up three.

4:40 left.

53-50 West. Since Quay came off EJ, game flipped. He’s got only three - now he’s back on EJ.

Three minutes left.

Redbirds three - and up one!!!!

Now west up one.

West gets a stop. 1:50 to go. Quay blocks Brazil at the rim - 56-55 with 90 seconds left. West up.

West ball with a minute - same score. Brazil to the line with 38 seconds left. Two point game ... now three.

Quay brings it up - he goes to the line. 22 seconds left.

First is good. Time out. Missed.

West ball - fouled. 59-57 after the first 60-57 after the second. West.

12 seconds left. Alton ball. Time out / ball at their baseline. Both teams in double bonus - MISSED!!!

West ball.

Brazil hits his cripples. He had 30 I think.

Game over.

Reactions: Cross Bones
53-50 West. Since Quay came off EJ, game flipped. He’s got only three - now he’s back on EJ.

Three minutes left.

Redbirds three - and up one!!!!

Now west up one.

West gets a stop. 1:50 to go. Quay blocks Brazil at the rim - 56-55 with 90 seconds left. West up.

West ball with a minute - same score. Brazil to the line with 38 seconds left. Two point game ... now three.

Quay brings it up - he goes to the line. 22 seconds left.

First is good. Time out. Missed.

West ball - fouled. 59-57 after the first 60-57 after the second. West.

12 seconds left. Alton ball. Time out / ball at their baseline. Both teams in double bonus - MISSED!!!

West ball.

Brazil hits his cripples. He had 30 I think.

Game over.
Hell of a game! They have conference game coming up next week too! lol The Southwestern Conference is a monster this year!

Hell of a game! They have conference game coming up next week too! lol The Southwestern Conference is a monster this year!
From the Stl Post game report:

The lead changed hands 13 times in the nip-and-tuck affair. Alton's nine-point lead was the biggest for either side.

"It was just a good high school basketball game with two good teams going at it," Muniz said. "It's something we see in the Southwestern Conference every night."

at least the best team since 2003 when they lost a tight SuperSectional game against Thornwood - very exciting team to watch this year - lack of size may bite 'em tho - and their sectional competition is fierce with Bogan and MP
That was their issue in 2003 as well

Reactions: tmjgrady
Alton plans to come right at EJ and punch West in the mouth, figuratively, of course.

Donovan Clay scored nine points, added 7 rebounds and 2 blocks to go with stellar defense on Ohio State recruit E.J. Liddell. He contained Liddell to 1-of-9 shooting and just 4 points in the first half.

“The way I played on E.J. was just discipline,” Clay said. “I knew I couldn’t foul him and ended up fouling him later, but I did what I could.”

Alton head coach Eric Smith added of Clay, “Donovan is athletic, he’s got length and he’s tenacious. He sits down and competes. He’s not going to lay down for him.

Alton Coach Eric Smith and Clay admitted limiting Liddell is a key ingredient to a recipe for success against the Maroons and that will be the goal on Friday.

“(Liddell) is strong and physical, he’s going to put it on the floor,” Smith said. “It’s hard to stop a train when it’s going down the tracks. In that situation you’re going to have make a basketball play to win the game and maybe it’s going to take someone stepping up and taking a charge to do it for us.”

“I’m ready,” Clay said. “We’re definitely going to watch some film, see some things we did wrong and fix them. We definitely need to go downhill. We shot too many threes as a team. We need to get E.J. Liddell in foul trouble, too.”

That game is Friday.

Vashon is on Saturday.

Springfield SE was pushed to 1/26, I think.

Highland will host a dandy this weekend!

Along with West/Vashon, there are several marquee match ups.

Nashville, ranked No. 1 in the Class 2A state poll and led by Bryce Bultman and Carson Parker, will play Effingham at 11:30 a.m. with the East St. Louis Flyers, led by St. Louis University recruit Terrence Hargrove, playing Bloomington and its all-state forward Chris Payton, who will be attending SIU-Carbondale. That game is set for 1 p.m.

Poplar Bluff, Mo., led by all-state senior Dominique Hardimon, will take on host Highland at 3 p.m. The Bulldogs are led by University of Iowa football recruit Sam LaPorta and 6-9 senior Stephen Torre.

Two of the top players in Missouri will put their skills on the line at 4:45 p.m. when Caleb Love of St. Louis Christian Brothers College (CBC) take on Columbia Rock Bridge and 6-6 senior Isaiah Mosley.

That game will be followed at 6:30 p.m. when Chaminade, led by junior sharpshooter Luke Kasubke leads his team against Milwaukee, Wis. Nicolet.

Nicolet is led by high school all-Ameriican Jalen Johnson and three other Division I recruits. But Powers said the 6-7 Johnson is worth the price of admission.

“Jalen Johnson might be the top junior in the nation. He has opened up his recruiting and is being recruited by everybody... Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky.... everybody,’’ Powers said. “We’re going to have a lot of (college) coaches here looking at kids.

“Before the last game you’ve got some of the top juniors in the nation Caleb Love, Kasubke and Johnson, all competing at one place. It’s a good chance for coaches to come in and watch.’’

Alton plans to come right at EJ and punch West in the mouth, figuratively, of course.

Donovan Clay scored nine points, added 7 rebounds and 2 blocks to go with stellar defense on Ohio State recruit E.J. Liddell. He contained Liddell to 1-of-9 shooting and just 4 points in the first half.

“The way I played on E.J. was just discipline,” Clay said. “I knew I couldn’t foul him and ended up fouling him later, but I did what I could.”

Alton head coach Eric Smith added of Clay, “Donovan is athletic, he’s got length and he’s tenacious. He sits down and competes. He’s not going to lay down for him.

Alton Coach Eric Smith and Clay admitted limiting Liddell is a key ingredient to a recipe for success against the Maroons and that will be the goal on Friday.

“(Liddell) is strong and physical, he’s going to put it on the floor,” Smith said. “It’s hard to stop a train when it’s going down the tracks. In that situation you’re going to have make a basketball play to win the game and maybe it’s going to take someone stepping up and taking a charge to do it for us.”

“I’m ready,” Clay said. “We’re definitely going to watch some film, see some things we did wrong and fix them. We definitely need to go downhill. We shot too many threes as a team. We need to get E.J. Liddell in foul trouble, too.”

That game is Friday.

Vashon is on Saturday.

Springfield SE was pushed to 1/26, I think.
Gotta go with SE

What's your thinking there - the two-point victory over Collinsville, tainted with four T foul shots in the last 30 seconds, which was the difference in the game?
No, a SE win hopefully boosts us into the Maxprep top 40's in state.

What's your thinking there - the two-point victory over Collinsville, tainted with four T foul shots in the last 30 seconds, which was the difference in the game?

If the game wasn't played at Collinsville, I don't the outcome would have been as close.

Last edited:
There were 50 fouls in the game - 25 each. So that holds no water.

Exactly my point. The pace of SE is extremely fast and 50 fouls will slow ANY game down to a snails pace which heavily favored Collinsville half court basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT