ADVERTISEMENT

Off season round ball thread

It's been a great regular BBall season for my 2 teams - for my alma mater St Laurence and my son's team the York Dukes -I had earlier touted these 2 teams back in Nov/Dec that these are teams to watch - not just watch as in keep track of them, but literally to watch them play. The Vikings are young and reckless (in a good way most of the time) and have 3 juniors who made all Catholic League Blue. They finished 25 - 5 and the York Dukes (who beat St L in their XMAS tourney semi) finished at 27 - 4. They can shoot lights out (ask Oswego East) Half of their losses came to OPRF - and they are course to play a regional championship next Friday.
Post season will be a challenge - Bogan and Morgan Park stand in St. L's way and Young and Curie are in the same sectional as York - that is if they can beat OPRF.
What a loaded fielded - but I had the opportunity and pleasure this year to see some exciting basketball
Nice win for your Dukes last night.

Reactions: tmjgrady
Thanks. Yes indeed. They fell behind 12 to 4 but then dominated. They were an incredible 17 for 18 from the field in the second half Really great kids in that team. Plus St Laurence won too.
Nothing a team can do when the opponent doesn't miss shots lol
Tough one coming up with Young, but they seem vulnerable. Tough one with Bogan too. Good luck Tuesday!

Nothing a team can do when the opponent doesn't miss shots lol
Tough one coming up with Young, but they seem vulnerable. Tough one with Bogan too. Good luck Tuesday!
Thanks. I wish I could be at 2 games at the same time !! I say bogan pulls away late but I say York by 5

Tough end to the seasons on 99th St. No shame in losing by 2 in OT to Simeon or dropping the state championship game to an undefeated team. Hats off to the Macs and Crusaders on wonderful seasons.

Tough end to the seasons on 99th St. No shame in losing by 2 in OT to Simeon or dropping the state championship game to an undefeated team. Hats off to the Macs and Crusaders on wonderful seasons.

It's been a good year for Rice in the major boys sports. Congrats!

We have Aurora West this evening in a revenge match for last year's exit from the post season in the Sectional Final. If we take care of business we could get Waubonsie Valley (which would be football revenge) and the opportunity to nearly remove an entire city from the post season (Matea Valley being the only other Aurora school in 4A).

Reactions: USD24
22-13 Alton.

22-14

22-16 At 4:31 2q.

Lots of blocked shots - not just EJ. This game being player above the rim.

22-19.

22-21 - no-step slam by EJ.

24-21.

24-23. Randolph is strong.

27-23 - clay with three.

Another block by EJ - he takes it to the other hoop - fouled en route.

27-25. Randolph again.

West had more energy tonight.

Half time - Alton up two.

30-25

30-27 -EJ jacked Clay in the mouth enough so he checked his teeth.

30-29

32-30 west in Ej’s first three I’ve seen this season.

EJ another rebound.

33-30. 5:00 in 3q.

33-33. 4:44.

35-33 west.

EJ another block. Then a crappy three. Stupid.

37-33. Randolph again.

37-35.

39-35. Randolph with 7th point of quarter.

The entire west team fouled a dude - don’t come To the lane.

41-36. 2:00. EJ slam. Then a block.

43-36.

Another EJ block!!!!! And 14 points so far.

I’ve been considering Mr. Basketball between EJ and Clay.

Tonight removes any doubt.

West ball - 54 seconds left. Randolph at the line.

Missed the first. Hit the second.

44-36. 37.1 left.

30.6 left - West ball.

OHHH - EJ and Clay getting a bit chippy - slapping hands away. EJ missed last second 3q shot.

Referee giving them therapy.

My goodness - Randolph ... a unique specimen. Same thing that made Eville so dangerous with AJ.

44-39.

EJ draws blood (nose) for foul two. Five minutes left - medical timeout.

Alton shooting fouls obviously.

Missed first. And second is good.

44-40.

46-40 and a foul shot.

47-40.

47-42. 3:30

3:00 west ball after a scrum. 2:40 west time
Out.

EJ more - 49-42. 1:45.

EJ blocks another. Now he goes to the line. 49-42 with 88 seconds left.

51-42 - EJ woth 18.

51-44 Alton quickly - 77 seconds.

53-44

55-44 -EJ slam.

40.7 left. Clay at the line. Missed first made second - then a steal and slam by Clay then fouls EJ! Love the fight!!!! Love his game. Second puberty shoots him up five inches senior year - still plays like a guard at 6:7.

57-49 at 20.6.

Alton would likely whip whoever Weat wins against in the finals.

58-49.

ESL up 59-52 at the end of the game free throw time.

Brook over Aurora West 75-61. Weird game, but survive and advance.

Oswego E puts a tremendous beating on Waubonsie.

Covered Herrin-ESL tonight.
Was expecting a 30-point blowout, but Herrin went right at them and lost 61-52.
Effective both pushing the ball and in the half-court.
Its kids were not afraid to go to the basket against bigger East side players. Herrin's point guard was really good, but the Flyers' defense almost made him a non-factor in second half.
Flyers won it with their defense -- held Herrin to five points in fourth quarter, and just three in last 7:57.

Missed first. And second is good.

44-40.

46-40 and a foul shot.

47-40.

47-42. 3:30

3:00 west ball after a scrum. 2:40 west time
Out.

EJ more - 49-42. 1:45.

EJ blocks another. Now he goes to the line. 49-42 with 88 seconds left.

51-42 - EJ woth 18.

51-44 Alton quickly - 77 seconds.

53-44

55-44 -EJ slam.

40.7 left. Clay at the line. Missed first made second - then a steal and slam by Clay then fouls EJ! Love the fight!!!! Love his game. Second puberty shoots him up five inches senior year - still plays like a guard at 6:7.

57-49 at 20.6.

58-49.

ESL up 59-52 at the end of the game free throw time.

Appreciate all the updates and commentary!

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Covered Herrin-ESL tonight.
Was expecting a 30-point blowout, but Herrin went right at them and lost 61-52.
Effective both pushing the ball and in the half-court.
Its kids were not afraid to go to the basket against bigger East side players. Herrin's point guard was really good, but the Flyers' defense almost made him a non-factor in second half.
Flyers won it with their defense -- held Herrin to five points in fourth quarter, and just three in last 7:57.

I agree. I was expecting a blow out but watched a very good game of emotions.

I agree. The finals could possibly be a big let down this year. The upper bracket is solid, but the lower bracket is a murderer's row... I would pick Alton over who ever comes out of the upper bracket in the finals.

I agree. The finals could possibly be a big let down this year. The upper bracket is solid, but the lower bracket is a murderer's row... I would pick Alton over who ever comes out of the upper bracket in the finals.

I disagree. Rockford East and Curie are very good teams. Both of those teams have a TJ, EJ or Donavan Clay on their Roster plus a lot more. I am not sure about all the teams but I have those two first hand and they can really really play.

Of the top bracket I've seen Evanston and Loyola. Of the bottom bracket I only haven't seen Young. We're not too far from DGN, wish we could switch.

I disagree. Rockford East and Curie are very good teams. Both of those teams have a TJ, EJ or Donavan Clay on their Roster plus a lot more. I am not sure about all the teams but I have those two first hand and they can really really play.
Curie is in the lower bracket. I would pick them over Alton. I think they're going to win the lower bracket and the championship.

I’ve seen Currie play - I’ve not seen Rockford. Saw some clips - see their roster.

I like West, Alton or ESL over them.

Both beat ESL already. I watched both games live. Both Teams will beat Alton and have great games against West. I am proud of the SWC this year however I respect very good teams. Those two are very good teams and deserve the respect in my opinion.

I think that bottom bracket is a grinder. Curie is legit, not physically overwhelming, but they just play really well. I haven't seen Rockford E, but everything I heard is that they're legit.

I was unimpressed with Danville the times I saw them. Evanston was a good team, but not overwhelming either. Oswego E was better than I expected on Tuesday, but has some limitations.

They need to come up with a better system when setting the Sectional and Super Sectional location. IHSA should adjust location when travel is unnecessary. There is no reason the East Moline (United) Sectional should still be played in East Moline when the travel times become ridiculous for both schools.
-Danville is a 3 hour and 10 min drive
-Belleville West is a 3 hour and 45 min drive.

Changing a location to a neutral 4a program in the middle such as Chatham Glenwood or Springfield HS would make much more sense.

No other school has a travel time of over an hour. (South Elgin to Rock Valley -59 min)

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Danville cuts what was a 15 point lead down to 8. Belleville West 29, Danville 21 6:40 left in the 2nd.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT