ADVERTISEMENT

No Cutler...

Jwar: Like Corey, I have asked you to give me the name of a QB who you think the Bears should sign or draft next year. It's easy to say "I said this" or "I said that five years ago." Let's look ahead. Who do you think they should get?

Jwar: I don't care what a guy's numbers between the 20s are. Two weeks in a row, when the game was on the line Hoyer didn't come through. The Bears are averaging 18 points a game since he went in to start. But, I will be different than you and Corey. I won't blame Hoyer alone. The guy is a journeyman backup.

You know as well as I that if Cutler played exactly the same as Hoyer over this four week period with the same results you and Corey would be all over him because of your blind hatred of the guy.

Corey: You say that I blame everyone else but Cutler for the Bears situation. You go back and show me one single post where I said that. I have never once said it was everyone else's fault and not Cutler's. I have said it isn't Cutler's fault alone and somehow you twist that to mean I am blaming the entire team and leaving Cutler out of the blame. You, on the other hand, have, on several occasions, blamed Cutler alone and the evidence is out there again and again.

One thing is for sure. I said no QB could win with this team a few years ago too. Neither of you two can refute that. And you continue to plead your case saying if the Bears could just get rid of Cutler everything will change and things will get so much better. I will tell you that nothing will change whether they have Cutler or not until the Bears improve in several areas. Cutler isn't even in uniform and the team is 1-3 and I will guarantee you 100% before the end of October 31th they will be 1-5 with Hoyer if he plays the next two games. They are a bad team no matter who the QB is.

What about a Mid term solution - Tony Romo?

I bet he might negotiate down his contract. He is about ready to lose his job like Bledsoe lost his to Tom Brady. Dallas is not going to keep that big Romo contract next year - they won't be able to trade him unless Romo would re-negotiate the contract and have it worked out pre-trade. he has a good 3 to 4 years left in him IF HE CAN PASS THE PHYSICAL. he seems to be pretty fragile these days.

This would give the Bears a few years before they need to find their QB of the future for the next 10 to 15 years,...If they don't like what they see in the draft next year?.

What about a Mid term solution - Tony Romo?

I bet he might negotiate down his contract. He is about ready to lose his job like Bledsoe lost his to Tom Brady. Dallas is not going to keep that big Romo contract next year - they won't be able to trade him unless Romo would re-negotiate the contract and have it worked out pre-trade. he has a good 3 to 4 years left in him IF HE CAN PASS THE PHYSICAL. he seems to be pretty fragile these days.

This would give the Bears a few years before they need to find their QB of the future for the next 10 to 15 years,...If they don't like what they see in the draft next year?.
Funny but a friend of mine and I were discussing that very thing a few weeks ago but that definitely won't work. What most people don't realize is that Romo is 36 years old and Cutler is 33.

Romo has been hurt a lot during the past couple of seasons and I don't think he has played a down this year has he? So, there is no way he is close to being in football shape. I don't think he has more than one or possibly two years left...maybe more as a backup. Then, of course, there is the task of learning a new offense mid stream and it just can't be done on the fly like that. Can it? I don't think he is any kind of a fit.

But I am waiting...STILL...for those two to tell me who the QB is they want to bring in.

At least you named someone.

Miracle,

I will look later today. I just finished up at the vets office where I had to put my dog down. Thanks for your understanding.

Funny but a friend of mine and I were discussing that very thing a few weeks ago but that definitely won't work. What most people don't realize is that Romo is 36 years old and Cutler is 33.

Romo has been hurt a lot during the past couple of seasons and I don't think he has played a down this year has he? So, there is no way he is close to being in football shape. I don't think he has more than one or possibly two years left...maybe more as a backup. Then, of course, there is the task of learning a new offense mid stream and it just can't be done on the fly like that. Can it? I don't think he is any kind of a fit.

But I am waiting...STILL...for those two to tell me who the QB is they want to bring in.

I didn't know he was that old - I thought 34/35. yes - the biggest issue is him staying healthy. the past few years he has been out for long stretches and on IR with broken collar bone and his back issues. he might not even be able to pass a trade physical.

Awhile back, you asked who anyone thought the Bears could have drafted in previous drafts to address the need of bringing in a young QB to develop. A QB they could have drafted (they passed on him 3 times in the 4th round alone in this year's draft) is Dak Prescott. He's looking pretty good right now. Yes, he has very good players around him. But, the point remains, if as an organization you simply do not draft QB's, it's tough to develop any. At this point in the evaluation process, would you rather have: Prescott or Nick Kwiatkoski, Deon Bush or Deiondre Hall (all Bears' 4th round picks taken ahead of Prescott)?

Awhile back, you asked who anyone thought the Bears could have drafted in previous drafts to address the need of bringing in a young QB to develop. A QB they could have drafted (they passed on him 3 times in the 4th round alone in this year's draft) is Dak Prescott. He's looking pretty good right now. Yes, he has very good players around him. But, the point remains, if as an organization you simply do not draft QB's, it's tough to develop any. At this point in the evaluation process, would you rather have: Prescott or Nick Kwiatkoski, Deon Bush or Deiondre Hall (all Bears' 4th round picks taken ahead of Prescott)?

No I think they would rather have Bobby Douglas still starting at QB from the 70's. The posters on this board don't like new QB's until they have a walking cane.

Wassup

Again, you are getting this wrong. I never asked who they COULD have drafted. That is way too easy. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. If we want to play that game, they could have drafted Joe Montana but passed on him twice like the rest of the league. They could have drafted Brady too as he was still around till the 6th round. Saying who they could have, would have or should have drafted gets us nowhere unless you were saying it ahead of time and no one was.

How many people on this board even heard of Dak Prescott until this season? I guarantee the majority of the board had no idea who he was. And NO ONE said the Bears need to draft Dak Prescott at the time of the draft. That is my point. No one is willing to come here and give me a name right now and look into the future.

It is easy to see the problems the team has and complain. It's another thing to offer a solution and name names. If anyone has a QB you want to see the Bears draft or sign name him...crickets....

No I think they would rather have Bobby Douglas still starting at QB from the 70's. The posters on this board don't like new QB's until they have a walking cane.

Wassup
Actually I met Bobby Douglass years ago at the old Rosemont Horizon. I was there watching the NCAA regional basketball tournament and ran into him at halftime of the California, Duke game. Very nice guy and a lot bigger than you might think. Lousy QB though. hahaha

Again, you are getting this wrong. I never asked who they COULD have drafted. That is way too easy. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. If we want to play that game, they could have drafted Joe Montana but passed on him twice like the rest of the league. They could have drafted Brady too as he was still around till the 6th round. Saying who they could have, would have or should have drafted gets us nowhere unless you were saying it ahead of time and no one was.

How many people on this board even heard of Dak Prescott until this season? I guarantee the majority of the board had no idea who he was. And NO ONE said the Bears need to draft Dak Prescott at the time of the draft. That is my point. No one is willing to come here and give me a name right now and look into the future.

It is easy to see the problems the team has and complain. It's another thing to offer a solution and name names. If anyone has a QB you want to see the Bears draft or sign name him...crickets....

If you watched college football you know about Dak Prescott. He was in the Heissman race at one point and took Mississippi State to a level they had reached in a long time. I would assume a scout that the Bears pay would know ALL about Dak.

I will also counter and say a majority on this post have been asking for a QB shift which mean look at the draft or free agency.

Reactions: jwarigaku
If you watched college football you know about Dak Prescott. He was in the Heissman race at one point and took Mississippi State to a level they had reached in a long time. I would assume a scout that the Bears pay would know ALL about Dak.

I will also counter and say a majority on this post have been asking for a QB shift which mean look at the draft or free agency.
I didn't see one person here say the Bears should look into Prescott.

I didn't see one person here say the Bears should look into Prescott.

No they didn't say Dascott specifically but most said a change at QB is needed. It is impossible for a fan to say who is the best fit without knowing what direction management is looking to go in.

Last edited:
No one on this board considered Prescott a prospect and from where he was drafted not many teams did either.

The failure to draft a QB is an issue. One of many.

Looking at this years potebtial class the pickings aren't all that great either. After Watson what's left.

Curious what else is out there.

FA class isn't any damn good either

Okay Miracle,

I have looked at several College QB's currently available and have come up with a list of several, some obvious others not so much. In no particular order here are a few to consider.

Brad Kaaya
Deshaun Watson
Davis Webb
Chad Kelly
DeShone Kizer
Mitch Trubisky
Seth Russell
Baker Mayfield
Josh Rosen
J.T. Barrett
Pat Mahomes
Greg Ward
Josh Dobbs
and if you want a home town guy thats performing better than anyone expected Peter Pujals

If I were to pick a top three I'd say
Chad Kelly
Deshaun Watson
and either Davis Webb or Pat Mahomes

Now mind you I don't get paid to do this but I think these guys will prove out to be pretty decent at the next level.

Newt,

I just answered your question. No one thought Brady was much of a prospect either, but when you are a professional talent reviewer you need to be able to find that diamond in the rough every 20 years or so. I guess we will see how good I am over the next 5-7 years with my list of Qbs that could come out this year or next.

No one on this board considered Prescott a prospect and from where he was drafted not many teams did either.

The failure to draft a QB is an issue. One of many.

Looking at this years potebtial class the pickings aren't all that great either. After Watson what's left.

Curious what else is out there.

FA class isn't any damn good either

Okay Miracle,

I have looked at several College QB's currently available and have come up with a list of several, some obvious others not so much. In no particular order here are a few to consider.

Brad Kaaya
Deshaun Watson
Davis Webb
Chad Kelly
DeShone Kizer
Mitch Trubisky
Seth Russell
Baker Mayfield
Josh Rosen
J.T. Barrett
Pat Mahomes
Greg Ward
Josh Dobbs
and if you want a home town guy thats performing better than anyone expected Peter Pujals

If I were to pick a top three I'd say
Chad Kelly
Deshaun Watson
and either Davis Webb or Pat Mahomet

Now mind you I don't get paid to do this but I think these guys will prove out to be pretty decent at the next level.

That being said, I guy that is on the payroll to complete this list should have a great feel for which one would be better in the system they are trying to implement. If a Fan can pick something the front office can't they all need to be fired NOW.

Reactions: Dr. Mirakle
LHST,

Maybe he can start with my list. I am not a Bears fan, but hey I'll take a consulting fee.

That being said, I guy that is on the payroll to complete this list should have a great feel for which one would be better in the system they are trying to implement. If a Fan can pick something the front office can't they all need to be fired NOW.

Newt,

I just answered your question. No one thought Brady was much of a prospect either, but when you are a professional talent reviewer you need to be able to find that diamond in the rough every 20 years or so. I guess we will see how good I am over the next 5-7 years with my list of Qbs that could come out this year or next.

Sorry missed that post JW. Agree the biggest part of it is having the talent evaluators in place to make smart moves like that.

I heard of Dak Prescott. I could easily name QB's, just as Jwar has above. The point is this: it's tough to develop a young QB when you do not draft one. Look at New England. Brady is getting up there, and they had Garoppolo waiting in the wings, yet they still took Jacoby Brissett with a later round pick in the last draft. They recognize the importance of drafting and developing young QB's. The Bears? Not so much.

Putting together a list of 15 and when one hits saying, "See, I had him on my list 5 years ago" is no accomplishment. These GM's get one shot at it.
It seems New England takes one every year.
Why not for the most important position on the field.

Redmen,

Read my entire post I made a top 3 well actually 4 which is very reasonable. Face it the Bears and Cutler both suck!

Putting together a list of 15 and when one hits saying, "See, I had him on my list 5 years ago" is no accomplishment. These GM's get one shot at it.
It seems New England takes one every year.
Why not for the most important position on the field.

I read your entire post.
My point is you get 1 shot. It's really tough.
Yes, the Bears suck.
I had them 2-6 going into the bye week.
I may have been overly osti-misty. (to quote S. Sosa!)

Redmen,

You don't get one shot, stop making it so simplistic and do or die. You have the draft, you have free agent signings, you have summer roster and subsequent cuts to a roster of 53, you have trading, and finally the pool of unrestricted free agents. Over the last 4 seasons they could have found something of more promise had they not done the rediculous deal with Cutler.

I read your entire post.
My point is you get 1 shot. It's really tough.
Yes, the Bears suck.
I had them 2-6 going into the bye week.
I may have been overly osti-misty. (to quote S. Sosa!)

When I said one shot, I was referring to drafting a qb.
As far as Tom Brady, who knew he was going to grow 2 inches and put on 30 lbs post combine?

When I said one shot, I was referring to drafting a qb.
As far as Tom Brady, who knew he was going to grow 2 inches and put on 30 lbs post combine?

No one knew but New England was smart enough to roll the dice. Same with Dak and the kid from North Dakota State. One thing for sure is if you don't draft anyone, you will never find out. Brady in the 6th round was rolling the dice. Kurt Warner from the supermarket was rolling the dice.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwarigaku and pjjp
I think Philly knew what they had in Wentz. Thus, the trade of Bradford.
I read an interesting article concerning Wentz and how they identified many of his qualities coming out of the Bison program. Running a huddle, pass pro, and others that many of the other qb's don't get running the typical spread offenses.

Redmen,

You don't get one shot, stop making it so simplistic and do or die. You have the draft, you have free agent signings, you have summer roster and subsequent cuts to a roster of 53, you have trading, and finally the pool of unrestricted free agents. Over the last 4 seasons they could have found something of more promise had they not done the rediculous deal with Cutler.
Thinking his deal prevented them from acquiring a QB of the future shows a giant misunderstanding of the nature of the deal.

Please expound on what you mean by this comment. I am not referring to salary cap.

The deal to Cutler doesn't prevent them from drafting a QB. Regardless of the $$$$ they paid him you still should be drafting and developing. Look at Green Bay, New England, as examples. Draft and develop.

Agree it did tie their hands in free agency to look for a potential QB. But then again the free agency for QB of late has consisted of Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler, Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer, etc.

The Qb's they have passed on in the draft since the deal or since they traded for him would include the likes of:

Prescott
Wilson
Kaepernick
AJ McCarron
Brissett
Foles
Garoppolo
Mettenberger
Petty
Siemian
Hundley

Not a lot of great names there for sure but certainly players that can and could have helped.

Reactions: jwarigaku
Barely into the 2nd Quarter against Tampa Bay and Cutler has 3 turnovers (2 int's, 1 fumble)!

Wassup

He is to old and injury prone. I would take my chances in the draft. Maybe we can pick up a Chad Kelly? Brett Rypien? Jake Browning? Who knows will see what develops with the free agents maybe get one of these young QBs?

Back when you asked who you would take in the draft I said Garoppolo. Now look what he did with the Patriots.

The Bears were awful yesterday on both sides of the ball and that includes coaching too. Cutler was awful as well. There Corey...I said it. I just hope you didn't spit your coffee out.

Like the Sun-Times said on the back page, "they are who we thought they were."

Hearing a lot about this QB from North Carolina as a high pick.

Like Watson a lot not so sure on Browning. Not his best night Saturday vs USC.

Other than that I can't think of many good QB in this draft. Kelly is kinda Cutler light with more of an attitude. Which means that's a Bears pick for sure

ADVERTISEMENT