ADVERTISEMENT

No Cutler...

6 new QB's in the NFL this year which have a combined record this year of 11-2 and have played well enough to be 13-0.

Wassup
That is so easy to say now. I didn't see you mention ANY of them as a replacement for Cutler before now. Sorry, no credibility in that statement.

This kind of nonsense reminds me of recent article I saw written in the Sun-Times by Rick Telander talking about Lovie Smith being fired after going 10-6 in his last season.

What this guy conveniently leaves out is that Smith did NOT get fired for going 10-6. He got fired because the team made the playoffs once in the last six years of his tenure. What he also forgets is that team was 7-1 at one point and was in first place and finished 3-5 and missed the playoffs. By the way, 4 of those 5 losses were at home.

Guys like him and you, think we are stupid and have no memory.

And I am sure when Smith got fired Telander was in agreement with it.

Last edited:
2 of them are 2-0 against the Bears, smh.

I've never, ever wanted the Bears to tank a season, ever. I've always wanted them to play hard and win as many games as they can. Even it meant going 6-10 or 5-11. Now, I hope they lose every game and get the #1 pick. I want Deshaun Watson or Jabril Peppers. Or trade the #1 pick to New England for Garropalo and like 3-4 draft picks (if that's even possible).

I just want a plan. A plan showing how this team will get better. This requires a total blow up - it can be done and has been done. Seattle is a real good example how smart free agency and sound drafting works.

Poor drafting, lousy free agency moves and terrible front office management isn't work b clearly.

It's hard to call this franchise cheap. Thy have spent money - bad money. It's not the Cutler contract solely. It's the McPhee deal, Lamar Houston, Bobbie Massie, to name a few.

Reactions: stonedlizard
I just want a plan. A plan showing how this team will get better. This requires a total blow up - it can be done and has been done. Seattle is a real good example how smart free agency and sound drafting works.

Poor drafting, lousy free agency moves and terrible front office management isn't work b clearly.

It's hard to call this franchise cheap. Thy have spent money - bad money. It's not the Cutler contract solely. It's the McPhee deal, Lamar Houston, Bobbie Massie, to name a few.
Not much left to "blow up" at this point, except for Cutler.... Even a guy like Massie was always a short term move (despite the length, its structure was really more of a one year prove it). Theres very little to disassemble, they just have to start adding good players (mainly by hitting on those round one picks).

They pretty much have blown up the team and are rebuilding they just aren't saying out loud "hey, we're rebuilding, give us 2-3 years".

I'm with you on the plan, I don't even know what direction they are heading. What's their identity? Who's "the guy"? Kyle Long? Doubt it. Alshon? He's the best player on the team by far but it just feels like he's pretty much gone after this year, whether they offer him more money than everyone else. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: stonedlizard
I am at the point where I am saying it doesn't matter where they draft in the first round. We can be assured it will be the wrong pick. It is going to be quite a while before this team is good again.

Reactions: Wild_Mustang
I am not chastising you Lizard. But this is absolutely ridiculous. I would like to know their definition of success. The Raiders are 5th? What has it been, something like 12 years since they have even made the playoffs? I realize this is total championships or whatever, but do you really think anyone gives a rat's ass who won a championship in 1971? How many of the top 10 teams have won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years? Or the last 10 years. No one cares who was winning what when we were crapping in our diapers.

I am not chastising you Lizard. But this is absolutely ridiculous. I would like to know their definition of success. The Raiders are 5th? What has it been, something like 12 years since they have even made the playoffs? I realize this is total championships or whatever, but do you really think anyone gives a rat's ass who won a championship in 1971? How many of the top 10 teams have won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years? Or the last 10 years. No one cares who was winning what when we were crapping in our diapers.

No offense taken, I posted it as relevant, not gospel truth. I honestly found it interesting the Bears were that high. Must be putting a lot of weight on the historical significance of the team.

They pretty much have blown up the team and are rebuilding they just aren't saying out loud "hey, we're rebuilding, give us 2-3 years".

I'm with you on the plan, I don't even know what direction they are heading. What's their identity? Who's "the guy"? Kyle Long? Doubt it. Alshon? He's the best player on the team by far but it just feels like he's pretty much gone after this year, whether they offer him more money than everyone else. I hope I'm wrong.

My point exactly. I don't have any confidence in a direction or system this team is building. As I've mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Fox and Co. are gone in 2 years, which would mean back to the drawing board again.

No offense taken, I posted it as relevant, not gospel truth. I honestly found it interesting the Bears were that high. Must be putting a lot of weight on the historical significance of the team.

My point exactly. I don't have any confidence in a direction or system this team is building. As I've mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Fox and Co. are gone in 2 years, which would mean back to the drawing board again.

Not gonna lie, I like Fox & Fangio. They have a track record of success, I trust them. That's why I am not blaming them...yet. Pace is TBD. I want to like him, but I've been burned before so he's TBD.

I'm not saying Fox & Fangio are doing a GREAT job, I'm just saying I'll give them a full 4 years before I start saying they need to be canned. Tresticles & Emory set this organization about 5 years back, they really F'ed it up, bad.

Foxy & Fangy are spending the first 2 years fixing what Tresticles & Emory did, next year and the year after is when we better see improvement and an identity of this team.

Not gonna lie, I like Fox & Fangio. They have a track record of success, I trust them. That's why I am not blaming them...yet. Pace is TBD. I want to like him, but I've been burned before so he's TBD.

I'm not saying Fox & Fangio are doing a GREAT job, I'm just saying I'll give them a full 4 years before I start saying they need to be canned. Tresticles & Emory set this organization about 5 years back, they really F'ed it up, bad.

Foxy & Fangy are spending the first 2 years fixing what Tresticles & Emory did, next year and the year after is when we better see improvement and an identity of this team.

Maybe - but in the here and now the Bears suck.....

It's between the Browns and Bears for 1st overall draft pick. And I think the Brownies are looking more competitive and feisty in their first 3 games than the Bears.

I think it's going to take longer than 2 years to have a playoff contender in the Windy City.

Target date - 2020!!

Agree with the fact we've blown it up kinda. But there is no base to fix this - and that's part of the blow up.

Need football people with football track records to fix this - that's part of fixing this too

Mustang. I agree with what you're saying. NFL football is unlike any other sport in that it takes time to turn an organization that is this bad, around in a hurry, especially if you lack the talent and man power to beat other teams. Throw in the fact that this team has been decimated with injuries and the task is even harder.

I am NOT making excuses for anyone in the organization. Coaches are expected to win games, period. But coaches need to have scouts and a GM who can do well in the draft and have the ability to sign free agents to fill gaps and make trades that will fill holes too.

But your main point I agree with is this. You can't just have a revolving door of coaches, offensive coordinators, GMs etc. I also think you have to give these guys at least four years as well. Every time Cutler has turned around he has had to work with another OC. That's insane.

Welp, glad we fixed all this. Talked to Virginia, we should be getting the checks for our consulting fees next Thursday.

Reactions: jwarigaku
Welp, glad we fixed all this. Talked to Virginia, we should be getting the checks for our consulting fees next Thursday.

The Bears suck ownership sucks and their is no hope insight. Cutler fans want to keep backing him
even though he has been a big part of the reason they suck. Tell me when anyone felt Cutler was going to take the Bears to the SB? Actually look at his career and tell me what he has accomplished pertaining to winning. It's a joke and it's been a
joke for a very long time. Yes I dislike Cutler ever since they signed him and nothing has changed except the Bears are even worse now than when he was signed. Blow the team up start over and let's watch Cutler ruin another team.
How many years ago was it since I said the Bears wouldn't win anything with Cutler on the team?
I know it's not all Cutlers fault bla bla bla.

So since I only get the Browns game I am watching it and actually the former USC QB Cody Kessler looks pretty good. He has better mechanics than Cutler and he doesn't look and act like he just pooped his pants!

300-yard, 2-TD, 0-INT games with Bears:

Jay Cutler: 2 in 99 starts

Brian Hoyer: 2 in 2 starts

300-yard, 2-TD, 0-INT games with Bears:

Jay Cutler: 2 in 99 starts

Brian Hoyer: 2 in 2 starts
So? Before you get too excited, those are also Hoyer's first 2 such games of his career. Might be another 100 starts before he does that.

To bring the thread full circle.

Avg points/game as Bears starter

Cutler - 22.8
Hoyer - 17

Now before anyone goes and attempt to discredit that discrepancy, I don't actually expect you to be impressed by Jay's number (its almost literally average during that span). But it should show how little the offense has actually done with Hoyer. So before we get into a full fledged QB controversey over two starts a piece, lets at least get a small sample size where our backup actually leads to offense to some points. Fwiw (a slight apples:eek:ranges comp), Hoyer's offenses as a starter average 20.56 ppg for his career. He's slightly below average on that metric. A fringey backup/starter on a bad team. Which would align with all my other analysis of him too.

I can't believe this is still a debate on this board and why people cannot comprehend Cutler just sucks and needs to go! I don't know what's in the water around here.

I am just pointing out it took Cutler 6 years to do what a backup QB just did in 2 games. I'm not a Hoyer fan but it was time to dump Cutler and start with a new QB 5 years ago.

Wassup

I can't believe this is still a debate on this board and why people cannot comprehend Cutler just sucks and needs to go! I don't know what's in the water around here.

I am just pointing out it took Cutler 6 years to do what a backup QB just did in 2 games. I'm not a Hoyer fan but it was time to dump Cutler and start with a new QB 5 years ago.

Wassup
So you do or don't want Cutler to start once healthy this year?

I can understand those frustrated the Bears havent put more effort in drafting or developing QBs (even as a Cutler supporter you should want to develop QBs- look at all the QBs GB developed under Favre).

But they haven't and Cutler has been and is our best QB on the roster, and gives the Bears the best chance to win each week until they draft and develop a better QB.

But maybe we should start Hoyer, or even better Barkley. A higher pick would be one place to start in finding the next QB.

Wassup,

In 2014 when this crazy contract was inked and prior I said the Bears should franchise tag Cutler for a year or two, draft a quality QB high and just blow up the team and rebuild. I said, It will take 5 years but it will be 5 years well spent. Now admittedly I am not a Bears fan, but not even Bears Fans deserve this much torture.

I was called stupid among other things. Now the Bears have spent 3 years and how many million dollars? And are worse off than they were and need to blow up the team anyway. Not looking so stupid now am I?

I wanted Cutler gone 5 years ago. I'm not playing for this year, I'm playing for the future. Cut the cancer and let the new regime begin.

Wassup

Reactions: RockSoup
In fact the ability to develop QBs underscores the main issue with the Bears over the past 8 years- the ability to develop ANY players. The last time we had a good OL we put up the second most points in the league. When we still had a good D from the fumes of good drafting in the early aughts we had seasons as the third and fifth scoring defense in the league.

Holding onto an average player at FMV contract doesn't even sniff the true level of ineptitude that has left us cheering for the team we are.

I refuse to evaluate the rest of the team until Cutler is gone. The new regime will not begin until the Cutler regime is over.

The longer the Bears hold onto him, they longer they are stuck in neutral.

Wassup

Wassup,

In 2014 when this crazy contract was inked and prior I said the Bears should franchise tag Cutler for a year or two, draft a quality QB high and just blow up the team and rebuild. I said, It will take 5 years but it will be 5 years well spent. Now admittedly I am not a Bears fan, but not even Bears Fans deserve this much torture.

I was called stupid among other things. Now the Bears have spent 3 years and how many million dollars? And are worse off than they were and need to blow up the team anyway. Not looking so stupid now am I?
That extra money wouldn't have left them any better off.

Now as far as drafting. Carr or Bridgewater at pick 14 in 2014 would have both been decent picks and left us with emerging young possibly future QBs (though no guarantee). Or Garrapalo in Rd 2 as a guy who could have been developing during the few guaranteed years of Cutler's deal. I think most reasonable people saw the structure of the Cutler deal and saw an oppptunity to start finding that next QB. Yet little effort was made, and we're just as far then as we are now, not having even struck out, but merely not even stepping up to the plate.

I refuse to evaluate the rest of the team until Cutler is gone. The new regime will not begin until the Cutler regime is over.

The longer the Bears hold onto him, they longer they are stuck in neutral.

Wassup
Rofl, so your hatred of the guy precludes your ability to judge anything else?

Snets,

You can't get your cutler blinders off...he's horrible. You know it's bad when a Naz guy is defending a Montini guy... Just admit already it was a huge mistake to keep cutler and it just keeps getting worse through the 7year $126MM contract!

Rofl, so your hatred of the guy precludes your ability to judge anything else?

Theres zero objective proof that Cutler or his contract are horrible. Sadly average is probably the fairest assessment which is a far cry from the hope in 2009 when we gave up the package we did (though when you look at the typical trade for possible franchise QB, probably also an average ROI) And that trade and hype probably contributes to the people who can't take the blinders off (the "haters").

Again the mistake wasn't keeping Cutler. The mistake was not trying to develop another QB (let alone the rest of the roster).

Let's talk cancerous. Tanking I think is the biggest cancer you can bring on a franchise, IMO. And maybe chemo kills that cancer and it works out (Go Cubs!), but its a risky game to play. Moving on from Cutler on a league average salary with no real replacement... that would send an awful signal to your team and players. They should try to win games, and until they want to spend a top 5 pick on a QB or spend 1-3 years developing a lower pick, Cutlers gonna be the best option.

Who thinks someone at Halas Hall saw what the Cubs did and took notes?

Snets:

Arguing with some of these guys is like talking to the wall. Not one of them has ever come here and specifically named another QB who was available in the draft or to sign to replace Cutler. Not one name. Along with that, they purposely refuse to look at the rest of the team on both sides of the ball.

You even had a guy say he refuses to evaluate the rest of the team until Cutler is gone. That's all you need to know about him. He's waiting for the next QB to come in so he can rip that guy while ignoring the surrounding players. He is one of the Cutler haters.

These guys are like the big mouth fans sitting in the top row of the stadium, drunk and ripping the QB without offering ANY solutions as to who to replace him with. So I will ask again. Who should replace Cutler? Who do you see in the upcoming draft next year that the Bears should go after? Do you guys actually see if the Bears need to shore up any other positions?

I am not saying things have worked out with Cutler. And I am not here to defend anyone. They are big boys. What I have been here doing from the start is to at least shine the light on the entire team. I said before and I will say again. Tom Brady couldn't win with this team or with the last several teams. No one has challenged me on that point which makes my point...it's more than just the QB.

So, I am reading here where someone said the Bears should have been developing another QB over the last few seasons. OK, that makes sense. But wait!! When was the last time the Bears actually developed a QB and made him a real good QB? I can't think of any. And don't name Jim McMahon. Jim McMahon was already a good QB when he got here. And he did whatever the hell he wanted to do on the field anyway.

The Bears surely haven't made Cutler any better. With so many OCs I am wondering if he has actually regressed because of it.

So, I am reading here where someone said the Bears should have been developing another QB over the last few seasons. OK, that makes sense. But wait!! When was the last time the Bears actually developed a QB and made him a real good QB? I can't think of any. And don't name Jim McMahon. Jim McMahon was already a good QB when he got here. And he did whatever the hell he wanted to do on the field anyway.

The Bears surely haven't made Cutler any better. With so many OCs I am wondering if he has actually regressed because of it.
Hey you miss 100% of the shots you don't take right.

It matters not the failing of previous regimes in terms of developing a young QB.
I am in the camp that they should have drafted someone they believed they could develop the last two drafts. I won't buy that there wasn't anyone they thought they could develop. And I know a developmental QB more times than not will not succeed but they knew this offseason was coming with them being able to dump Jay with little to no cap hit and they have nothing in the pipeline, frustrating.

I am sure all the coordinators hasn't helped Jay at all. I have no doubts Jay has been able to handle new systems/language ect but I am not so sure about others on O and that has an immediate impact on the QB. He's had zero continuity over his time here. Jay is in the group of QBs that is a solid starter in the NFL but people start to clamor for a replacement and the big question always is "who is going to replace him?".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT