ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA/IHSA Hoops Tournaments

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
Has there been a good reason all the NCAA/IHSA tourneys couldn’t just be postponed and played on college campuses/HS campuses?

I get the NCAA division 1 tourney is held at massive arenas and the Mercedes Superdome won’t be available at a later date.

But, Kansas’s Gym will be available and can host for a weekend. Just let the highest seed host each weekend just like in D3 Hoops.

And D3 ball, why can’t we pick this tourney up in 2mo and let a D3 school host it?

IHSA tourney’s, Can’t we just continue on the tourney once this is over and instead of ISU hosting the elite 8...Some large HS can host it. Or maybe NIU or some other venue is available.

Internships, future jobs, spring sports - I would think would be understanding.

What am I missing??

Reactions: ignazio
MLB saying maybe no play til June.The White Sox sure pissed their $$$ away.We might have H.S.Football in August .

You are not missing anything. Complete failure to just suspend, evaluate, and put in contingency plans if possible. If it gets worse and you have to cancel then do so.

There will be football in August. I'm betting HS camps in June won't be affected.

Spring sports...right now they will probably be cancelled after 3/30 from either governor requiring schools to be shut down longer or IHSA not having the balls to make it work.

You are not missing anything. Complete failure to just suspend, evaluate, and put in contingency plans if possible. If it gets worse and you have to cancel then do so.

There will be football in August. I'm betting HS camps in June won't be affected.

Spring sports...right now they will probably be cancelled after 3/30 from either governor requiring schools to be shut down longer or IHSA not having the balls to make it work.

If Spring sports are cancelled football will not be back in June. Maybe after the 4th.

I was thinking about this yesterday and can see the likelihood of High school Baseball gone. I was also thinking of all these kids that play on travel teams in the summer that require big commitments. Those kids will probably leave their HS team now and start practicing with the travel teams since you can't do both per the IHSA.

to answer your question(s), go to the CDC website and you'll find all of the information you need.

I was thinking about this yesterday and can see the likelihood of High school Baseball gone. I was also thinking of all these kids that play on travel teams in the summer that require big commitments. Those kids will probably leave their HS team now and start practicing with the travel teams since you can't do both per the IHSA.

A lot of those travel teams will not be able to practice either with all the facilities closing down.

to answer your question(s), go to the CDC website and you'll find all of the information you need.
They say to cancel or postpone events with 50 or more people involved. It also says that this does not apply to day to day operations of schools.
How the hell does that make any sense?!?!?

Why is the world shutting down but the polling stations stay open?

makes it feel political
Yes, isn't that interesting? Who are the people who are in the most danger from this virus? The elderly and those with weaker immune systems or lung conditions.

I have worked almost every election at the Will County building since 1992. The election judges you see at all the polling places are almost all senior citizens. They do their polling place work and then bring all their items to the building.

We don't have any confirmed cases of the virus here in Will County...YET. But, if I had to guess I'd say we probably will. Just a guess, though.

All the businesses forced to close, but the election MUST go on! Hypocrites.

Reactions: Gene K.
A lot of them use schools which facilities are closed. A lot of parks have shut down operations to. Plus the weather sucks.
Yep. And it’s not like the travel competitive season is going to begin any sooner. If MLB and MiLB are shut down for a long time, nobody cares about your 17u tournament getting bumped up a few weeks to give kids “exposure” that no one is even going to see anyway.

With regard to NCAA tourney, word is the NCAA has a killer good insurance policy that essentially guarantees all revenue if event is not held. There was discussion among those in the know late last week that flat out cancelling the tourney allowed the NCAA to collect on the policy. That may have been a huge driver to flat out cancel the tourney vs. postpone. Obviously nobody can verify this info, but it was discussed last week and wanted to share. Take it for what it's worth.

Just saw the thread as I haven't been on for ages. I never understood this either. 1a and 2a basketball had 4 games left. Play in an empty gym with announcers if you had to. 3a and 4a would have been tough though. Minnesota had 1 game left, and so did Montana. At that point just finish the darned thing. As for football this year, New York is 50-50. I won't speak for Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT