ADVERTISEMENT

More Covid issues causing cancellations in week 1 ....

I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post. Coaches and parents must tell their kids to be responsible, vigilant, and to not put themselves in situations (parties, get-togethers, etc) where they can get Covid. I can speak to our recommendation that kids who want to ensure to play 6 games should ideally remote learn, only go to football practices and games, then basically quarantine the rest of the time. The serious and committed will do that, the kids that are on the team that do not take football as serious and do it for more social reasons are the ones that may cause their program to shut down for 2 weeks and miss multiple games. More and more programs will cancel games due to Covid in upcoming weeks. All AD's will be on a heightened alert knowing that any moment a team they are playing that week will call to cancel and they then will be scrambling (just like Nazareth is right now) to try and find another team to play.

But the probelm is most schools are not contact tracing and just shutting it down for two weeks.

I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post. Coaches and parents must tell their kids to be responsible, vigilant, and to not put themselves in situations (parties, get-togethers, etc) where they can get Covid. I can speak to our recommendation that kids who want to ensure to play 6 games should ideally remote learn, only go to football practices and games, then basically quarantine the rest of the time. The serious and committed will do that, the kids that are on the team that do not take football as serious and do it for more social reasons are the ones that may cause their program to shut down for 2 weeks and miss multiple games. More and more programs will cancel games due to Covid in upcoming weeks. All AD's will be on a heightened alert knowing that any moment a team they are playing that week will call to cancel and they then will be scrambling (just like Nazareth is right now) to try and find another team to play.
All year we complain about how bad remote learning is, but now that football is starting, you want kids to be "serious and committed" and stay home.....

It's good to know it's only the slackers that are testing positive though

But the probelm is most schools are not contact tracing and just shutting it down for two weeks.
That is the issue. My kids district has started saliva testing. So far, the dashboard has 2205 tests run, with 9 potential positives (0.41%). However, even with that low of number, I've heard one sport shutdown for 2 weeks. With the amount of kids in a football program, at some point there will likely be a positive.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
All year we complain about how bad remote learning is, but now that football is starting, you want kids to be "serious and committed" and stay home.....

It's good to know it's only the slackers that are testing positive though
Of course I like most want our kids to be in the classroom. However for them to have the "very best" chance to play all 6 games, it is better to limit their risk and not be around people to lesson the odds of someone getting Covid and the program being shut down for 2 weeks. These kids have been waiting for over 450+ days to play a game, our recommendation is to do what it takes to give them the best chance of being successful in getting those 6 games in. I think it makes perfect sense

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
The teams that are gonna get 6 games in are the ones who know not to run and get a covid test the minute you get a sore throat. If you feel sick, stay away from team and school (heck, stay away from everyone) for 48 hrs then assess and test if you want. That way the kid who is sick gets properly quarantined if positive and the healthy kids keep moving down the road because they have not been around them for 48+ hrs.

The teams that are gonna get 6 games in are the ones who know not to run and get a covid test the minute you get a sore throat. If you feel sick, stay away from team and school (heck, stay away from everyone) for 48 hrs then assess and test if you want. That way the kid who is sick gets properly quarantined if positive and the healthy kids keep moving down the road because they have not been around them for 48+ hrs.
You know I agree with this, but what is going to hurt teams are the ones that agreed to be tested by the school daily/weekly in order to go to school or play. They are going to be hurt with these rapid tests that may produce false positives, and they will have no recourse but to sit out or have games cancelled.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
You know I agree with this, but what is going to hurt teams are the ones that agreed to be tested by the school daily/weekly in order to go to school or play. They are going to be hurt with these rapid tests that may produce false positives, and they will have no recourse but to sit out or have games cancelled.
Oh, wow. I didn't realize schools were doing that. That is definitely going to put teams on shelf for two weeks.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Of course I like most want our kids to be in the classroom. However for them to have the "very best" chance to play all 6 games, it is better to limit their risk and not be around people to lesson the odds of someone getting Covid and the program being shut down for 2 weeks. These kids have been waiting for over 450+ days to play a game, our recommendation is to do what it takes to give them the best chance of being successful in getting those 6 games in. I think it makes perfect sense
Also, you have no control over what the kid 6' away from you in the classroom has been doing. My son went back to remote until the season is over.

From what I've read/researched, the saliva tests our district is using have very few false positives. However, even if they are 100% accurate and no false positives, it's still going to catch kids that would have never even known they were positive. That becomes a 2 week break

How many were moved? Cant do that in football. You are also relying on 12-15 kids per team not reporting some type of covid issue. Football is 30 to 70 per team depending on the program.
[/Q

I don't believe they had any move. Most hoops' team carried 15-18 kids this year.

Rapid tests can be overruled by PCR tests if there is a false positive at most school districts that I know of, but that's if the parents decide to go down that route.

The reality is that this season was going be a disaster whenever it was decided to be played. Even states that were 100% full go in the fall still ran into several issues in terms of game cancellations and teams opting out.

I have read some of the posts here. Do any of you know if the schools in Illinois are taking similar precautions or have similar procedures as schools from other states that played in the fall? Are these procedures and precautions more strict or looser? Are they pretty much the same? Or do you know if the schools have looked at any data from the fall in other places? I'd be curious to know.

I think we all know, this isn't going to be smooth and there will be issues. There is a sign at the Lockport East campus near the Wellness Center and by the fieldhouse that talks about perseverance. Well, now is about as good a time to practice that as ever.

My ultimate hope is that all schools get through the spring season knowing there will be bumps in the road. I also hope that everyone pushes through and doesn't let things stop them.

I don't think so. I don't think anyone is looking for a game anymore. Interested to see who pops up today or tomorrow. I wonder what the drop dead time would actually be.
I'm interested in that as well, because clearly this won't be the only week this comes up. Having limited fans should make it easier.

I have read some of the posts here. Do any of you know if the schools in Illinois are taking similar precautions or have similar procedures as schools from other states that played in the fall? Are these procedures and precautions more strict or looser? Are they pretty much the same? Or do you know if the schools have looked at any data from the fall in other places? I'd be curious to know.

I think we all know, this isn't going to be smooth and there will be issues. There is a sign at the Lockport East campus near the Wellness Center and by the fieldhouse that talks about perseverance. Well, now is about as good a time to practice that as ever.

My ultimate hope is that all schools get through the spring season knowing there will be bumps in the road. I also hope that everyone pushes through and doesn't let things stop them.
My cousin played HS ball in Wisconsin last fall and what he told me it was similar to what IL is doing this Spring. Lot of last minute cancellations...lot of same week scrambling for any game. Not much counted for anything similar to our Spring season. He said they played a school 4 classes below them because they were willing to play and travel to them. Since the game didn’t count for anything it didn’t matter, they just played to play.

My cousin played HS ball in Wisconsin last fall and what he told me it was similar to what IL is doing this Spring. Lot of last minute cancellations...lot of same week scrambling for any game. Not much counted for anything similar to our Spring season. He said they played a school 4 classes below them because they were willing to play and travel to them. Since the game didn’t count for anything it didn’t matter, they just played to play.
I don't want to see any games cancelled, but this could lead to some interesting matchups down the line.

I don't want to see any games cancelled, but this could lead to some interesting matchups down the line.

I wonder if we will see Sunday games? WWS and Glenbard West played on Sunday for ESPN so I know they would probably do it if they had a last minute cancellation on a Friday.

Last edited:
I asked that same question yesterday.
I wonder if we will see Sunday games? WWS and Glenbard West played on Sunday for ESPN so I know they would probably do it if they had a last minute cancellation on a Friday.
Chicago Christian had a week 2 game with Ridgewood already moved from Friday to Monday because Ridgewood had COVID issues. Not a Sunday, but moved a few days nonetheless.

I'll say it again, why are we acting like this is the plague? I am not trying to minimize the virus, but it's been a year. We know what we are dealing with, we know who the virus effects. If you are sick, stay home. Presumably, we are no longer allowed to get sick. I think it is time to turn the corner here. It's a virus. It's not a death sentence. The numbers are way down, vaccines are rolling out. It's almost as if people want this to last forever.

I'll say it again, why are we acting like this is the plague? I am not trying to minimize the virus, but it's been a year. We know what we are dealing with, we know who the virus effects. If you are sick, stay home. Presumably, we are no longer allowed to get sick. I think it is time to turn the corner here. It's a virus. It's not a death sentence. The numbers are way down, vaccines are rolling out. It's almost as if people want this to last forever.

100% agree but the problem is we live in a society where peoples first response is "I'm going to sue" and I think this threat makes people go from being cautious to being absurd.

100% agree but the problem is we live in a society where peoples first response is "I'm going to sue" and I think this threat makes people go from being cautious to being absurd.

No one is getting sued over Covid, People in charge are just taking the path of what they feel will be least resistance to them.

Chicago Christian had a week 2 game with Ridgewood already moved from Friday to Monday because Ridgewood had COVID issues. Not a Sunday, but moved a few days nonetheless.
How does this work with any IHSA limitations on games or quarters paid in a week?

McCarvan,
You brought up something that I had refrained from bringing up. “Games not counting” for anything. This to me is intriguing and true since their is no playoffs or championship. It’s mainly to get players opportunity to show their talent on the field and getting the kids back to some sort of normalcy.

I was wondering do any of you guys see coaches giving more playing time to the sophomores and Juniors to get them ready for next season? It seems to me this could happen since the games don’t count anyway. I am not saying seniors aren’t going to get their playing time but I could see the younger players getting rotated in more this year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: Gene K.
McCarvan,
You brought up something that I had refrained from bringing up. “Games not counting” for anything. This to me is intriguing and true since their is no playoffs or championship. It’s mainly to get players opportunity to show their talent on the field and getting the kids back to some sort of normalcy.

I was wondering do any of you guys see coaches giving more playing time to the sophomores and Juniors to get them ready for next season? It seems to me this could happen since the games don’t count anyway. I am not saying seniors aren’t going to get their playing time but I could see the younger players getting rotated in more this year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I know some schools are going to use the whole roster.

McCarvan,

Speak for yourself a conference title is more important then ever this year.

They are going to award conference titles this year,
or is this just something you made up?

The Dukane is the first three weeks are broken up into two mini conferences and the back half is seeded to determine an overall champion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT