ADVERTISEMENT

West Suburban Conference Mid-Season Outlook

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
I'll start by stating this is all strictly my opinion. I figured now that we are 5 weeks into the season, it'd be interesting to look at every school in the conference, use their record, and look at their remaining schedule and predict their chances of getting into the 6 week playoff grind. Additionally, I am at the bottom of the WSC Pick 'Em game that I run.

Gold Division

Addison Trail (3-2) - In comparison to recent seasons, the Blazers are having a great season. And there is a strong likely hood they end up in the playoffs. AT (and most of the Gold Division) benefit from the scheduling change the Conference implemented this year, getting rid of the mandatory week 2 Gold/Silver Crossover. So their week 1 and 2 wins have set them up to get to 6 wins. AT has already played Willowbrook and Hinsdale South, and don't play Downers South until week 9. Weeks 6, 7, 8 have them playing Proviso West (winnable), Morton (toss up), and Leyden (winnable). I think they can beat Morton and end up at 6 - 3, especially since they'll have something to be playing for - the 7A playoffs

Morton (1-4) - The woes of Morton continue this season. They agreed to some tough competition in weeks 1 & 2, facing RB and Niles West and losing by a combined score of 83-13. Their lone win was in week 3 against Proviso East, and still have Leyden (winnable), Addison Trail (toss-up), Willowbrook (probable loss) and Hinsdale South (probable loss) to finish the season. I predict they pick up a win against Leyden, and lose the rest, ending the season at 2 - 7.

Hinsdale South (2-3) - The Hornets started 0-2, taking on Wauconda (4-1) and Riverside Brookfield (3-2) in weeks 1 & 2. Unlike Morton, HS held their own, and while there is no such thing as a good loss, they lost by 1 score in each of those games. They also lost to Willowbrook by a field goal, which is a massive improvement over recent years, recognizing this is not the same Willowbrook we've come to expect. Looking forward, Hinsdale South has Downers South (maybe, but would be an upset), Proviso East (winnable), Downers North (would be shocking), and Morton (winnable). If we pencil in wins for PE and Morton, that gives them 4 wins. Which means, for Downers South, this week is a playoff game. Again, I'm not the best prognosticator, but I'll bet on the Hornets this week, and predict a 5-4 finish, limping into the 6A playoff field.

Downers Grove South (2-3) - The Mustangs had a brutal first 3 weeks, facing Wheaton North (3-2), York (5-0), and Downers North (5-0) in consecutive order. Those games likely set them up well to beat Willowbrook for the second consecutive year, and then Morton. Looking forward, they still have Hinsdale South (winnable), Leyden (winnable), Proviso East (winnable), and Addison Trail (winnable) on their schedule. That will put them at 6 wins. Even if they lose to Hinsdale South this week, they will likely end up at 5-4, and in the 8A playoffs. However, if they win, the Mustangs will end up Conference Champs, and with 6 wins.

Leyden (1-4) - The Eagles are again near the bottom of the Gold Division. They didn't take on the best competition in the first two weeks, facing Highland Park (2-3) and Niles North (2-3). They've already had their 1 crossover game with Glenbard West, and played Hinsdale South. They also earned their lone win against Proviso East. They face Morton this week, which may be a good match-up, then finish with Downers South (not likely), Addison Trail (toss up), and Willowbrook (not likely). I see them losing the last 4 games, and ending the season at 1-8.

Proviso East (1-4) - Proviso East continues to struggle to field competitive teams. They started their season against West Aurora (5-0) before winning the only game they likely care about against Proviso West. They've lost the last 3 weeks to Morton, Leyden and AT. Looking forward, the Pirates will be large underdogs every week to close the season. Willowbrook, Hinsdale South, Downers South, and Lyons all await. I think it's very likely Proviso East ends up 1-8.

Willowbrook (3-2) - The boys of Villa Park started out with, what we thought at the time, a "good loss" to Niles Notre Dame (2-3) by a field goal. They've gone on to beat who they should have beaten - Glenbard North (0-5), Addison Trail, and Hinsdale South. Their loss to Downers South came as a surprise to the prognosticators in the Pick 'Em, as everyone picked the Warriors. Looking forward they will be favored in at least 3 games - Proviso East, Morton, and Leyden. They will also face OPRF, which I consider a toss-up. With the remaining schedule, it's easy to see Willowbrook finishing the regular season with at least 6 wins and solidly in 7A. With some help from Hinsdale South, they could also end up as Conference Champs.

Silver Division

Downers Grove North (5-0) - The Trojans have lived up to expectations. They started the season with St. Francis (3-2) the Downers South (2-3). Their biggest test thus far came with a win on Duchon against Glenbard West (3-2). The past two weeks have allowed them to regroup and get healthy against OPRF and Proviso West. That will server them well, as they host York (5-0) this week. Then they face Lyons (winnable), Hinsdale South (winnable) and Hinsdale Central (winnable). If they get past York, they likely win the conference, and could run they table. Personally, I think they pull it off this week and end the season 9-0 with at top seed in 7A.

York (5-0) - The Dukes appear to have picked up right where they left off. However, appearances may be deceiving. None of York first 5 opponents have winning records. They started out with Glenbrook South (1-4), Nazareth Academy (1-4), Downers South (2-3), OPRF (1-4) and Hinsdale Central (1-4). This week is truly their first real test at DGN, and it doesn't get easier. The saving grace - Proviso West to close the season, which will give them 6 wins, and a guaranteed spot in the 8A playoffs. Between DGN and Proviso West (winnable), it won't be easy, as Glenbard West (winnable) and Lyons (winnable) are on the path. I suspect York closes the season 8-1.

Glenbard West (3-2) - The Hitters started off with a close win over Marist, but showed they may not be who everyone thought they were when they couldn't score on offense for 3 weeks. After opening league play with a shocking loss to DGN, they rebounded nicely to beat Lyons by a Field Goal, and then beat Leyden to set up this week against Hinsdale Central (1-4). At 3-2, the Hitters only need to pick up 2 wins to get back to the playoffs. With upcoming games against Hinsdale Central (toss-up), York (not likely), Proviso West (winnable), and OPRF (winnable), they will very likely get the wins they need.

Proviso West (0-5) - The boys in Hillside are once again having a tough year. This year may be worse the recent years, as they lost to their inter-district rival Proviso East in week 2. The Panthers have had a running clock put on them in 3 of their 5 games - TF North (5-0), DGN (5-0), and Lyons (3-2). They will still have Addison Trail (not likely), Hinsdale Central (not likely), Glenbard West (not likely), and York (not likely) to close out the season. I predict they end the year at 0-9, and re-approach becoming a co-op program with Proviso East during the off season.

Hinsdale Centrai (1-4) - I will try to take off the rose colored glasses here... the Red Devil defense is, to put it mildly, not good. They opened the season losing to Naperville Central (4-1) by 4 points; then went to Bolingbrook (3-2) for a shootout, losing 31-39. Lyons handled them nicely to take the Devils to 0-3. The lone win came against Morton, and even in that 1st Half, it wasn't a great showing. York handed them loss number 4 this past week, putting the Devils in playoff mode. They still have Glenbard West (toss-up), Proviso West (winnable), OPRF (winnable), and DGN (not likely) to close the season. I predict the Red Devils end the season at 4 -5 and outside the playoffs. Their 1 hope may be the amount of playoff points amassed by their strength of schedule.

Lyons Township (3-2) - The Lions of Lyons started out the season with a loss to Prospect (4-1), before beating both Wheaton Warrenville South and Hinsdale Central in consecutive weeks. They picked up loss 2 in Glen Ellyn, losing by a blocked field goal at the end of the game. LT got back on track this past weekend, easily handling Proviso West, and will likely pick up win 4 this week against OPRF. After the Huskies, they face DGN (not likely) and York (not likely) in consecutive weeks, before closing the season with Proviso East (winnable). That will bring the Lions to 5-4, and in the 8A playoffs, where I can see them losing in the 2nd round.

Oak Park River Forest (1-4) - The Huskies started out with two loses - Fenwick (4-1) and Lake Park (3-2) - before picking up their lone win against Proviso West. Unfortunately, OPRF may have had the toughest stretch in the conference. Week 4 was York (5-0); week 5 DGN (5-0); week 6 is Lyons (3-2). They will then face Willowbrook (maybe?), Hinsdale Central (maybe?), and Glenbard West (not likely). I predict OPRF loses 3 of those game, and ends up 2-7.

Nicely done. Its an intriguing season in the WSC.

Homer take: With WB losing by 3 to ND and 7 to DGS it isn’t a stretch to say they should be 5-0. Following a hard week of loss and emotion (We lost a WB player to suicide. There were memorials before the game and at halftime. Prayers to the family, all the players, families, coaches, teachers, friends and school) Hinsdale South was allowed to hang around for a time and score a garbage time TD, but the outcome was secure. Now this isn’t exactly the hard hitting WB team we’ve seen over the last decade (so far), but the offense is scoring points and using the qb’s size to its advantage. As we have seen in the past, the team usually rounds into shape through the season and becomes a hard out in weeks 10 and beyond. Hopefully the defense can solve some of its shortcomings, the receivers can get stickier hands and the qb can play to his potential.

WB will be riding the 6A/7A fence and my prediction is the team will continue to work and move on emotionally and at least be playing in week 11 and hopefully beyond. 🙏🏾

Homer take: With WB losing by 3 to ND and 7 to DGS it isn’t a stretch to say they should be 5-0. Following a hard week of loss and emotion (We lost a WB player to suicide. There were memorials before the game and at halftime. Prayers to the family, all the players, families, coaches, teachers, friends and school) Hinsdale South was allowed to hang around for a time and score a garbage time TD, but the outcome was secure. Now this isn’t exactly the hard hitting WB team we’ve seen over the last decade (so far), but the offense is scoring points and using the qb’s size to its advantage. As we have seen in the past, the team usually rounds into shape through the season and becomes a hard out in weeks 10 and beyond. Hopefully the defense can solve some of its shortcomings, the receivers can get stickier hands and the qb can play to his potential.

WB will be riding the 6A/7A fence and my prediction is the team will continue to work and move on emotionally and at least be playing in week 11 and hopefully beyond. 🙏🏾
Incredibly sad to hear - prayers to the entire Willowbrook team and community.

Great insight on the Warriors - there are some things only someone closely following a team can provide. I'm still rooting for HS to beat DGS this week and give Gold 4 playoff teams. AT, DGS, HS and Willowbrook.

Sorry to hear. Condolences to the Willowbrook football team and community. Prayers for his family and teammates on their loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT