ADVERTISEMENT

More Covid issues causing cancellations in week 1 ....

YDFan_2000

Jul 29, 2020
Unfortunately looks like more games are getting canceled and AD’s are forced to scramble and find replacement games.

DGS and LT have a single player w/ Covid so their games against Proviso East and York have been cancelled and they are shut down for 2 weeks

Proviso West also may have a Covid issue so their game vs DGN is in jeopardy.

Also heard a team in the Southwest Suburban (Blue) is looking into a potential Covid issue which could have a ripple effect on some potential top match up games. Praying to God that is only a rumor or they have isolated the issue and nothing gets cancelled

Hoping any games cancelled can get rescheduled to allow all kids to play the few games they have on the schedule.

If they get cancelled can't they just reschedule for after week 6?

Unfortunately looks like more games are getting canceled and AD’s are forced to scramble and find replacement games.

DGS and LT have a single player w/ Covid so their games against Proviso East and York have been cancelled and they are shut down for 2 weeks

Proviso West also may have a Covid issue so their game vs DGN is in jeopardy.

Also heard a team in the Southwest Suburban (Blue) is looking into a potential Covid issue which could have a ripple effect on some potential top match up games. Praying to God that is only a rumor or they have isolated the issue and nothing gets cancelled

Hoping any games cancelled can get rescheduled to allow all kids to play the few games they have on the schedule.

Be prepared for 10-20% of games getting cancelled every week. that was how every night in basketball went

Reactions: EdgyTim
I’ll say it again, if these kids want to play they have to put themselves in a bubble of School, practice, home. And parents need to make sure of it. I understand it’s been a long year and they missed out on so much, but they need to cut down on social interaction as much as they can the next 6 weeks for the good of their season. 1 case can kill the week, possibly two weeks. They have a lot more St. Patrick Days parties and fun times ahead of them, if they want to play, be responsible, if they can’t stay away from their girlfriends, buddies and parties, then don’t play. 6 weeks isn’t much of a sacrifice if you love playing.

They have a lot more St. Patrick Days parties and fun times ahead of them, if they want to play, be responsible, if they can’t stay away from their girlfriends, buddies and parties, then don’t play.
Kind of odd how you (and others) keep normalizing drinking in high school

There’s no way around it without NFL levels of testing to clear the “potentially exposed” people.

looking at our district dashboard, for week of March 1, there were 6 students and 0 staff that had tested positive. However, even with only 6 confirmed positives, there were 217 students and 17 staff in quarantine

However, even with only 6 confirmed positives, there were 217 students and 17 staff in quarantine
This can be due to a number of reasons. Number one guess would be travel restrictions, close contact, and showing symptoms

Kind of odd how you (and others) keep normalizing drinking in high school
You serious? Ok, we’ll I didn’t realize I’ve made other posts normalizing high school drinking but I’m sorry to break it to you, high school kids drink.....not all, but many. I was a kid, I have kids and as a Cop I’ve busted 1,000’s of them! It’s St. Patrick Day weekend in Chicago...kids will gather...

I’ll say it again, if these kids want to play they have to put themselves in a bubble of School, practice, home. And parents need to make sure of it. I understand it’s been a long year and they missed out on so much, but they need to cut down on social interaction as much as they can the next 6 weeks for the good of their season. 1 case can kill the week, possibly two weeks. They have a lot more St. Patrick Days parties and fun times ahead of them, if they want to play, be responsible, if they can’t stay away from their girlfriends, buddies and parties, then don’t play. 6 weeks isn’t much of a sacrifice if you love playing.
The kids are still attending class, parents may be working around people etc. Too many factors beyond players' control.

The kids are still attending class, parents may be working around people etc. Too many factors beyond players' control.
I get that, but control what you control is all I’m saying and don’t take unnecessary social gathering risks these next 6 weeks if you can.

pittsfield canceled with williamsville for week 1. williamsville has picked up duquoin.

Shouldn't something be said for these teams only having 1 case. To me it says kids don't spread it or there'd be a whole team outbreak. I think the 2 week shutdown is overkill.
Agreed. Rapid tests are widely available. If a player gets a negative test then they should be good to go. But we knew they were going to have strict rules. Big Ten initially had 3 weeks for a positive test until they lowered it. Wisconsin had a game in week 1 then didn’t play for 3 weeks.

I believe the guidance is indeed 10 days. But, the IDPH HS rule says if any player who participated in practice or game tests positive, the whole team gets shut down for 14 days. Another example of the inconsistency of this whole thing.

Let's shut the program down for a third of their season because Joe tested positive after having symptoms for half a day. He's then fine after his brief episode and he and all his healthy teammates sit around for two weeks.

Moral of story, don't get tested and self quarantine or if you're gonna get tested, stay away from team for 48 hrs prior.

Reactions: HinsRed
I believe the guidance is indeed 10 days. But, the IDPH HS rule says if any player who participated in practice or game tests positive, the whole team gets shut down for 14 days. Another example of the inconsistency of this whole thing.

Let's shut the program down for a third of their season because Joe tested positive after having symptoms for half a day. He's then fine after his brief episode and he and all his healthy teammates sit around for two weeks.

Moral of story, don't get tested and self quarantine or if you're gonna get tested, stay away from team for 48 hrs prior.

So having had covid I have learned a little about the virus. If you test positive your contagious for up to 10 days. After that you no longer are contagious. It used to be 14 days before they changed it. In any case Joe in no way was not contagious after a 1/2 a day. The point is they don’t want it spreading to the rest of the team. Whoever he came in contact with upon his first symptoms mainly when he showed signs of a fever, would also have to quarantine to prevent the spread. Again it’s not if he feels okay by the next day because he is still contagious. By the way my advice is to test immediately upon feeling sick because if you wait you could have to quarantine longer. They say 10 days after testing positive. If you wait well then you might just prolong your return. Once you feel sick or have covid you can test positive up to 3 months after. I made the mistake to not test because my wife got it and tested positive and I started feeling the same symptoms she had the very next day. I self quarantined for 2 weeks then went to get tested before returning to work. I tested positive. Lucky my work realized that I was no longer contagious and allowed me to return. I will say they did ask me when was the last day I had a fever. It had been 10 days so they said I could come back. Same reason as the kids they didn’t want it to spread to our co-workers.

So having had covid I have learned a little about the virus. If you test positive your contagious for up to 10 days. After that you no longer are contagious. It used to be 14 days before they changed it. In any case Joe in no way was not contagious after a 1/2 a day. The point is they don’t want it spreading to the rest of the team. Whoever he came in contact with upon his first symptoms mainly when he showed signs of a fever, would also have to quarantine to prevent the spread. Again it’s not if he feels okay by the next day because he is still contagious. By the way my advice is to test immediately upon feeling sick because if you wait you could have to quarantine longer. They say 10 days after testing positive. If you wait well then you might just prolong your return. Once you feel sick or have covid you can test positive up to 3 months after. I made the mistake to not test because my wife got it and tested positive and I started feeling the same symptoms she had the very next day. I self quarantined for 2 weeks then went to get tested before returning to work. I tested positive. Lucky my work realized that I was no longer contagious and allowed me to return. I will say they did ask me when was the last day I had a fever. It had been 10 days so they said I could come back. Same reason as the kids they didn’t want it to spread to our co-workers.
Don't disagree with anything you said regarding the person who is positive. I was referring to the approach player could take to avoid crushing 1/3 of the rest of the teams season cuz Joe gets it and has the typical teenager mild or asymptomatic case and by testing and reporting right away the whole team gets sent to penalty box for two weeks.

Don't disagree with anything you said regarding the person who is positive. I was referring to the approach player could take to avoid crushing 1/3 of the rest of the teams season cuz Joe gets it and has the typical teenager mild or asymptomatic case and by testing and reporting right away the whole team gets sent to penalty box for two weeks.

I guess I don’t get what your saying. If a kid feels sick and thinks they might have covid. He or she goes and gets tested and comes back positive. What do you think they should do?

I guess I don’t get what your saying. If a kid feels sick and thinks they might have covid. He or she goes and gets tested and comes back positive. What do you think they should do?
Honestly? Nothing. If it's sick enough to go to the doctor, stay home. If it's regular symptoms that you know pass in a few days, then you do nothing.

@NDSox is correct. Stop getting tested and don't talk to contract tracers. You do that and this all goes away fast. Obviously you can't do much if you are notified you have to quarantine from school, but those letters start to disappear if everyone starts doing the first two things. All health decisions should be between minors (parents) and their doctors. That's it. Schools stay out of healthcare business.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Honestly? Nothing. If it's sick enough to go to the doctor, stay home. If it's regular symptoms that you know pass in a few days, then you do nothing.

@NDSox is correct. Stop getting tested and don't talk to contract tracers. You do that and this all goes away fast. Obviously you can't do much if you are notified you have to quarantine from school, but those letters start to disappear if everyone starts doing the first two things. All health decisions should be between minors (parents) and their doctors. That's it. Schools stay out of healthcare business.

Its always great to teach kids to circumvent any rules or laws they don’t like. Especially for something as important as high school football!!

Thats your advice? So say nothing go back to school and team and infect others. That type of thinking is sure to end the season.
Unbelievable.

Reactions: Quags57
Its always great to teach kids to circumvent any rules or laws they don’t like. Especially for something as important as high school football!!
I wasn't aware there were laws in place saying minors had to be tested? Or that local health departments make laws? I prefer to teach my kids science and listen to their doctors. Our doctor said if he had kids HS or younger, he would never test them unless they were sick enough to go to the hospital. And the overwhelming science so far shows this age group doesn't get sick and doesn't transmit it like adults do. I think that's pretty fair.

Thats your advice? So say nothing go back to school and team and infect others. That type of thinking is sure to end the season.
Unbelievable.
It's not unbelievable when the science has shown HS kids and under don't transmit it at a load that significantly infects and makes other sick like it does with adults. That's not unbelievable, that's what the science has shown for 365 days. If it didn't, there wouldn't be sports or school that was able to carry on anywhere in the world. It would be mass infection and chaos everywhere. Except it hasn't. Time to move on and let kids do it!

It's not unbelievable when the science has shown HS kids and under don't transmit it at a load that significantly infects and makes other sick like it does with adults. That's not unbelievable, that's what the science has shown for 365 days. If it didn't, there wouldn't be sports or school that was able to carry on anywhere in the world. It would be mass infection and chaos everywhere. Except it hasn't. Time to move on and let kids do it!

I am not sure where your science is coming from? Show me where any science/Dr has said high school age kids don’t spread the virus? Anyway I can see you and I both want the kids to play so like you said it’s time to move on.

Last edited:
Would bet a few dollars this is already happening.

Be prepared for 10-20% of games getting cancelled every week. that was how every night in basketball went

There were a handful of cancellations for basketball in the MSL. They were all made up.

Also, Maine South scheduled 24 basketball games. None were cancelled.

How many were moved? Cant do that in football. You are also relying on 12-15 kids per team not reporting some type of covid issue. Football is 30 to 70 per team depending on the program.

Marmion and Fenwick are both shut down for 2 weeks. That means DeLasalle and Naz are looking for Week one games. St Iggy and JCA are looking for Week 2 games

I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post. Coaches and parents must tell their kids to be responsible, vigilant, and to not put themselves in situations (parties, get-togethers, etc) where they can get Covid. I can speak to our recommendation that kids who want to ensure to play 6 games should ideally remote learn, only go to football practices and games, then basically quarantine the rest of the time. The serious and committed will do that, the kids that are on the team that do not take football as serious and do it for more social reasons are the ones that may cause their program to shut down for 2 weeks and miss multiple games. More and more programs will cancel games due to Covid in upcoming weeks. All AD's will be on a heightened alert knowing that any moment a team they are playing that week will call to cancel and they then will be scrambling (just like Nazareth is right now) to try and find another team to play.

Reactions: McCaravan
I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post. Coaches and parents must tell their kids to be responsible, vigilant, and to not put themselves in situations (parties, get-togethers, etc) where they can get Covid. I can speak to our recommendation that kids who want to ensure to play 6 games should ideally remote learn, only go to football practices and games, then basically quarantine the rest of the time. The serious and committed will do that, the kids that are on the team that do not take football as serious and do it for more social reasons are the ones that may cause their program to shut down for 2 weeks and miss multiple games. More and more programs will cancel games due to Covid in upcoming weeks. All AD's will be on a heightened alert knowing that any moment a team they are playing that week will call to cancel and they then will be scrambling (just like Nazareth is right now) to try and find another team to play.
I completely agree with everything you said, it’s just hard for football players to remote learn, especially the private schools where kids may be coming from a distance. The entire school would have to go remote so you can better synch the practice schedules but that opens up a whole new can of worms from parents who want/need in school learning. But I posted a couple times last week, control what you can control, school, practice, home. It was Pre St. Pats Day last weekend in Chicago...that = large gatherings by many parents and kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT