ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State

No, not a Michigan St fan at all... nice try

Accusers have rights, if they so choose to file a police report that is their right.. and then we as Americans let the legal system run its course, as we found out with Duke lacrosse, we don't let the media nor public opinion convict people.

And there you go again, that "Izzo thing" and that "Dantonio thing"...

In 22 years as MSU head coach, he had ONE case of sexual abuse accusations against his players, zero kids charged... And the one case thats been mentioned, the girl admitted she was stripping for the players so lets not pretend she was a little angel, who knows what really happened. Izzo ran one of the cleaner programs in NCAA basketball, but in your witch hunt you want to connect it to Nasser, guilt by association...

Dantonios program had several cases of sexual abuse, about one a year, and according to him all cases were reported to the police or the MSU office.. If you want to accuse him of recruiting questionable kids, thats fine, but stop with the dumb idea of trying to connect it to Nasser and yelling cover up as there was none based on whats been reported so far..

You bring up Duke Lacrosse but funny how you don't dare tread near Baylor.

We will agree to disagree. Regardless Michigan State right now has an image problem and it wasn't created by the media.

You bring up Duke Lacrosse but funny how you don't dare tread near Baylor.

We will agree to disagree. Regardless Michigan State right now has an image problem and it wasn't created by the media.

It was created by the media as they try and connect Izzo and Dantanio to Nasser even though there is no connection there.. ESPN is reaching for straws, saw a story that would get them huge ratings because of Izzo and Dantonio are big names.. Their numbers are WAY down and they need a boost like this..

Baylor??? Completely different as Briles was covering up the accusations, not to mention they had convictions.. The Elliott kid was sentenced to 20 years in prison, yet Briles still covered it up.. Show me MSU kids that end up getting convicted and the coaches covered it up, then you can compare it to Baylor

So if ESPN is making stuff up as you alledge, why hasn’t anyone filed a defamation suit, called them out for lieing or fabrications?

Major news organizations can’t just make stuff up and not be held accountable can they?

So if ESPN is making stuff up as you alledge, why hasn’t anyone filed a defamation suit, called them out for lieing or fabrications?

Major news organizations can’t just make stuff up and not be held accountable can they?

They keep pushing the issue, just like they pushed the issue in the Duke lacrosse case.. I have asked you for the connection, to show evidence of what Izzo and Dantonio did wrong, and you came up with squat... If Nasser never existed, there would be no witch hunt after Izzo and Dantonio, but the media is trying to sell a story that as of now, simply isn't there..

Unlike you, I respect the Constitution, I believe in both freedom of speech and due process...

You media dudes here:

Are you really going to try and tell us the media doesn't make up stories and facts? Never? That is not only disgusting, it's laughable. That idea insults my intelligence. People on this board aren't stupid, you know. So you may say, "yeah, but we got this right!!" Kind of like a kid who steals, saying, "but I didn't steal anything in that store!"

Is it any wonder why the overwhelming majority of people in every poll say they don't like the media and don't trust them? In my opinion, there are several reasons for this. First of all, yes the media does make things up at times and they do attempt to create things that aren't there. I could pick up my Tribune today, pick out a story and read it. Then I could see the Sun-Times or the TV media and get a completely different story about the same subject. Now, someone is lying. Someone has their facts wrong. Someone was too lazy to get it right. This happens almost daily. For the most part, the media isn't about the truth. It's about getting the most eyeballs viewing you.

I can't remember where I read it or who said it, but after CNN had to retract a story this person said, "if you want the truth from CNN on a story, watch them the day after it happens, so you can get the retraction and the truth." At first I laughed, but then it sunk in and it's sad. Who was the guy at ABC a while back who got fired for blatantly getting a major news story wrong? Others picked that story up as truth. Then the real truth came out and his ass was gone. Newspapers are printing retractions all the time. I would think it's probably to keep their asses out of court and not so much to make sure they got the story right.

I am not taking sides with this station, this newspaper, or that station or that newspaper. They all do it. That was why I said there is nowhere in the media a person can go to get unbiased news with facts anymore. No one can challenge that assertion because it's true. It seems as if everyone in the media has an agenda which clouds their objectivity and they are all out there trying to make a name for themselves. The truth be damned.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmca
You are the one that started this thread off comparing Izzo and Dantonio to Penn St football where there is nothing even remotely close between the two cases..

Last 20 years I think Duke and MSU basketball have been the gold standard in the NCAA in how to run a program the right way.. and now we have media hacks trying their best to connect the two, maybe ESPN needs to worry more about their inhouse sexual assults and leave guys like Izzo alone..

I read a USA Today story this morning in which it kept calling it an ESPN Investigation like those idiots are the frickin FBI or CIA, they are lucky if they can get their scores right or headlines written with no errors... and now we are going to base a mans reputation on what their investigative skills that are driven by $$$ are going to "find"???

Good journalism there would have researched each program first (and separate from Nasser), look at the current landscape of NCAA athletics and then determine if MSU was the exception of the normal today.. The irony here is that ESPN is partially responsible for the issues in NCAA athletics today..

Reactions: mmca
I think that some in the media do have an agenda. Its a shame that this is the case. I have never reported that way. Now that I am no longer writing I pay close attention to the writers that cover the sports I covered. I don't see an agenda there either.

National news is shameful - CNN, Fox, take your pick. Its almost distasteful to watch the wonks they roll out. I would rather read National Enquirer because I at least know no one is trying to make me believe what I am reading.

There is a term that I think gets lost in this called investigative journalism. That's essentially using your position as a journalist to uncover information about wrong doings. Places like ESPN do this all the time.

Trust me it would do far greater harm to ESPN to destroy Michigan State than it would to build them up. Considering the dollars the Big 10 spends with the network it would be silly to assume they would try and destroy a program like that.

Are there people at ESPN that have hidden agendas? Of course there are. But I hardly consider Jamelle Hill, Stephen A Smith and their ilk journalists.

Reactions: vinuci31
Trust me it would do far greater harm to ESPN to destroy Michigan State than it would to build them up. Considering the dollars the Big 10 spends with the network it would be silly to assume they would try and destroy a program like that.

Big Ten moved lot of their content from ESPN to Fox, correct?? SEC and ACC are the ESPN darlings..

When profits are the reason for such investigative journalism, its a slippery slope

I am sorry Newt, but I disagree on some of your points. Not vehemently though. There are some in the sports world who do have agendas. I forgot to mention that before. And it's not just national news either. It's local news as well. The cancer has spread everywhere...sadly.

I am not convicting everyone in the media but you have to admit, unbiased reporting just isn't out there. Years ago I began to wonder who was more accurate in their reporting, the news media or the weathermen. I have to say in the past several years, the weathermen are winning.

As for investigative journalism. Yes I do know what that is. But why do people who call themselves journalists, investigate some situations they feel are wrong, yet they choose not to investigate others which can be clearly as wrong? Answer... to these people and their media stations or newspapers, some stories don't fit their narrative or political beliefs. It's not just what they report...it's what they choose not to report as well. You might call it being complicit with those you either like or agree with. That is why there is not unbiased journalism anymore.

ESPN is a sports and entertainment outlet. It is neither independent nor impartial. How it operates, the programming it puts on and the investigative work it does, serve ESPN's needs as a commercial enterprise. ESPN is in need of viewership and clicks and relevancy again. While I'm sure there was very professional investigative work that was done, I know enough to view everything they put out with a cautious eye.

I agree with much of BBHS77 has said. There appears to be a lot of shock at this point, but very little new substance behind it. And I need to make it clear that this is in regards to MSU basketball and football only. The Nassar thing is an entirely different story.

Reactions: BBCHS77 and mmca
ESPN is a sports and entertainment outlet. It is neither independent nor impartial. How it operates, the programming it puts on and the investigative work it does, serve ESPN's needs as a commercial enterprise. ESPN is in need of viewership and clicks and relevancy again. While I'm sure there was very professional investigative work that was done, I know enough to view everything they put out with a cautious eye.

I agree with much of BBHS77 has said. There appears to be a lot of shock at this point, but very little new substance behind it. And I need to make it clear that this is in regards to MSU basketball and football only. The Nassar thing is an entirely different story.

It seems that after the initial article and finger pointing at Izzo and Dantonio, there is now a "hey, lets hold up on the accusations of those two guys" and maybe some finger pointing at ESPN.. I think Pat Forde had a good article about it..

A response from one of the basketball players accused.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...an-state-basketball-travis-walton/1078936001/

Of note,

"The 30-year-old Walton had an assault and battery case in East Lansing 54B District Court reduced to a littering fine, according to court documents. ESPN interviewed the alleged victim in that case, Ashley Thompson. The alleged incident occurred at Dublin Square bar in East Lansing on Jan. 16, 2010, and the plea agreement was reached April 21 that year according to court records."

And then on a second incident involving the same player (and two others on the team at the time),

"Walton admitted he knew the unnamed woman and had a relationship with her.

“My encounters with this woman were more than just a single occasion, and my actions with her were always consensual,” Walton wrote in his statement."

And I am pretty sure he wasn't a player at the time, rather a graduate assistant, and was "quietly fired" by Izzo after the second accusation. Which according to MSU message board chat, was common knowledge on campus when it happened..

So again, ESPN digging up crap from 8 years ago and trying to connect it to Nasser. They need to stick to reporting the news, not creating it.

And here ESPN's own...Jay Bilas, saying more facts are needed around the alleged incidents that took place and policies in place at the time. Jay Bilas, who's an attorney, and works for ESPN. Jay Bilas who raised important questions in the Duke Lacrosse case.

Edit: Nevermind, I don't know how to embed video. Paraphrasing, but the ESPN studio host asks Bilas what penalties should be handed down if Izzo and Dantonio knew of the allegations. Bilas asks "what do you mean, if they knew? People knew about these allegations, this issue is how were these allegations handled by the university." And further, how were these allegations handled, or was the policy (in place at the time) midguided

Last edited:
And here ESPN's own...Jay Bilas, saying more facts are needed around the alleged incidents that took place and policies in place at the time. Jay Bilas, who's an attorney, and works for ESPN. Jay Bilas who raised important questions in the Duke Lacrosse case.

Edit: Nevermind, I don't know how to embed video. Paraphrasing, but the ESPN studio host asks Bilas what penalties should be handed down if Izzo and Dantonio knew of the allegations. Bilas asks "what do you mean, if they knew? People knew about these allegations, this issue is how were these allegations handled by the university." And further, how were these allegations handled, or was the policy (in place at the time) midguided

Which is what I said from the start, and I don't need a law degree like Bilas has to piece that together.. its just common sense, ESPN continues its downward spiral, but social media witch hunts are alive and well..

I don’t think Outside the Lines would report anything false, especially since MSU had already preemptively sued ESPN to hide information. But then again, I don’t know how a multi-billion dollar corporation operates.

I make it a good practice to always believe the words of the good people at the NCAA, as well as college coaches, because they always have the best interest of their players at heart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT